• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bugged, tedious and abandoned by the developers. And not a single even somewhat positive Gaf opinion (that I know of).

Eh, I like it but I'm fond of twin-stick shooters to begin with. Also, it seems to get updates regularly so I don't think it's abandoned? It just came out a few months ago.

coopolon

You have to hold the attack/"shoot" button to get him to set things on fire. Maybe that's the issue you're having.

Yah, I think my real problem was targeting the squirrels. For some reason I had a hell of a time getting them to remain as a target long enough to charge up the pyrokinesis. Got it though...for a piece of coal.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Can Dredmor run on pretty much anything? Looks like it could be a good game to play on-the-go with my shitty netbook. It can run Terraria with some minor frame dips, but Super Meat Boy is too demanding for it.

Hm, cant check but this is what Steam says:

Processor: Core 2 Duo/Athlon 64 recommended
RAM: 1 GB RAM minimum, 2 GB recommended
HDD: 400 MB
Graphics: any DirectX 9 -compatible graphics card with a resolution of at least 1024*600

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Eh, I like it but I'm fond of twin-stick shooters to begin with. Also, it seems to get updates regularly so I don't think it's abandoned? It just came out a few months ago.

Check the forums of the game for the dev issue, cant search for the link now. Sorry.

I've picked up Chantelise today.

It's a charming game with funny dialogue, but I have to agree with StuBurns. Costume Quest is a 4-hours RPG that offers no challenge at all and circles around a really light Paper Mario-like battle system.

I paid full price for it on PSN and I don't regret it, but I really can't see what makes some love it so much.

I love the concept and the battle system. I love the crafting system. I love Halloween. The soundtrack to this game, along with the visual style, nails the feeling of Halloween perfectly.

Artofwar420

The achievement is hard, but the game is alright. I slightly regret buying it though.

I go that feeling with "The Wonderful End of The World" during the summer sale. It's not bad, but eh. I'd rather have the time/money back. I don't want that feeling again.

Anyone still considering DoD? ;)

Dungeons of Dredmor
Gaf Thread
WTF video review
E8eVN.png

What is it?
Its a roguelike. So, basically you go down a dungeon, kill monsters, get loot and use the loot to kill more monsters. If you never played such a game before, I'd like to mention that these kind of games often have a straight forward highscoring feeling to it. "How many points on my last run?", "Lets try the same char build to see who manages to kill better monsters!" and the likes. Due to that they also belong to the "Losing is Fun" game category since you are motivated to try and try again, next time with better knowledge how to play and other skills to use if you so fancy.

But arent Roguelikes supposedly all hard?
Yes, as mentioned above you wont finish it in your first sitting. But thats the whole POINT! See it as a metagame to improve your skills before actually beating the boss. All the while, the DoD developers made a pretty darn great job to include customization options to cater to different people. If you dont want to get beaten too hard, just go easy and non permanent deaths and you'll get along quite nicely if you want. And if you want it hard... well.. just look at this:
http://i.imgur.com/BILCB.pn
Believe me, you wont like seeing those so called Monster Zoos on Hard.

[i]So lets get to the AWESOME![/i]
This game shows you the necessities of using every inch of possibility you have to survive. You can chose one of 7 skills, which all differ greatly. Here is a picture of all the skills:
[/QUOTE]I think giant bomb did a quick look.

Toma

I go that feeling with "The Wonderful End of The World" during the summer sale. It's not bad, but eh. I'd rather have the time/money back. I don't want that feeling again.

Heh, if I really have a bad mood day and I need to get revenge on you guys for anything, I'll just recommend everyone to buy "Eternities Child". Then you'll know true regret.

Oh man. Dunno if I can be that mean.

Artofwar420

Heh, if I really have a bad mood day and I need to get revenge on you guys for anything, I'll just recommend everyone to buy "Eternities Child". Then you'll know true regret.

You would totally get away with it. It's like the opposite of the story of the boy who cried wolf.

I'll just recommend everyone to buy "Eternities Child". Then you'll know true regret.

true story, a long long long time ago I used to be a member of a forum that one of the artists of that game was a very active member of. He was cool, and very talented, so it seems like a waste one of his first real game development jobs was art for that game.

Can Dredmor run on pretty much anything? Looks like it could be a good game to play on-the-go with my shitty netbook. It can run Terraria with some minor frame dips, but Super Meat Boy is too demanding for it.

I'm playing it on a 2008 Dell Studio XPS and it's running really well. As it's a roguelike it's turn-based anyway, so you don't notice if it lags a bit. You can also turn off smoothing which improves performance a lot.

Toma

true story, a long long long time ago I used to be a member of a forum that one of the artists of that game was a very active member of. He was cool, and very talented, so it seems like a waste one of his first real game development jobs was art for that game.

The art was what sold me on it. He definitely was the best of the guys working on it :)

Gav47

Should I buy The Witcher 2 if I haven't finished TW1?

Will you finish TW1 before summer? If yes buy it, if not you can wait. If you're not going to finish it and are worried about story stuff just read a story synopsis and youtube the ending.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Toma has sold me on DoD, even though I don't know what the fuck a roguelike is. How's Recettear?

It's awesome. It's very unique, sort of a simulation/jrpg/dungeon crawler hybrid. You run an item shop, if that wasn't obvious from the title, and you stock items by purchasing them from vendors and raiding dungeons. The dungeons are pretty simple, you just kill enemies (real time combat) and pick up loot. You display the items in your cute little shop and NPC's will visit through the morning, day, evening and night (separated in turns) to purchase or sell items and put in orders. It's very addictive and charming, and there's nothing else like it on Steam.

Toma

It's awesome. It's very unique, sort of a simulation/jrpg/dungeon crawler hybrid. You run an item shop, if that wasn't obvious from the title, and you stock items by purchasing them from vendors and raiding dungeons. The dungeons are pretty simple, you just kill enemies (real time combat) and pick up loot. You display the items in your cute little shop and NPC's will visit through the morning, day, evening and night (separated in turns) to purchase or sell items and put in orders. It's very addictive and charming, a steal at $5.

Crazy original game. Definitely recommended as well.

Durante

The solution listed for the Polaris achievement in the OP is still wrong. Noel is a stage 1 mid-boss in Gundemonium Recollection, not stage 3A.

damn it i don't know how to get the spiral knights achievement

I just installed pretty much clicked the crossed swords on the top right, it spawned me in a snow level i presume in a game called "lockdown" and you can pick up snow balls and throw them at people. Hit the opposing team once ?????? coal!

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
I already own DoD, but I can say that Toma has convinced me to pick up games in the past and every one has been awesome. He was hyping up frozen synapse earlier this year and it's one of my GOTYs

damn it i don't know how to get the spiral knights achievement

1. play game until you get 200 coins.
2. hit the red sword icon in the top left and join a lockdown game.
3. if the map is a snowy map look around for some snowballs. Right click to pick them up and hit a dude with them. if the map isn't snowy either play it out or quit and look for another lockdown game.

Fitz

dota213au0.jpg

Just got that, a hardware survey? Seems pretty worthless, the link goes to the Dota 2 page where it seems anyone can just take the survey anyway. Anyone have some insight?

vall03

argh! why wont Witcher 2 go beyond 40% off! oh well, I still haven't even finished Witcher 1 much less start it... looks like its only Half-Life series for me today...

Toma has sold me on DoD, even though I don't know what the fuck a roguelike is. How's Recettear?
To explain it differently: It's a turned based, grid based dungeon crawler... think Diablo meets Final Fantasy Tactics. The catch is it's much harder and death is permanent - as in, when you die, you have to start over with a new character. To keep it fresh however, the entire dungeon layout, chest locations, enemy spawn patterns, etc are randomized on every new game. The point of the game is hone your skills and figure out the best skill sets to clear the dungeon - those skills in the picture posted aren't actually skills, they're entire skill tree sets with a half-dozen abilities to unlock inside. There's a lot of variety and how you build your character each time.

dota213au0.jpg

Just got that, a hardware survey? Seems pretty worthless, the link goes to the Dota 2 page where it seems anyone can just take the survey anyway. Anyone have some insight?

Pretty sure that means you have been given DOTA 2. You need to do the hardware survey to opt-in to the beta is all.

DJMicLuv

Got Max Payne 1 & 2 yesterday in the sale.

Payne 1 plays just as well as I remember it from years ago, I ended up playing a lot longer in one sitting than I expected. I hope Payne 3 does a good job of keeping the feel of the original games. £3 for the two - Steam sales, eh? Still got stuff from the last sale I haven't played yet.

Haha, what? That's really weird. It might be that "Hardware Survey" just means you got into the beta because of the hardware survey? I don't know, though. I got my invite from a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom