• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majeh

Anyone want to trade me a piece of coal for Uplink? I have the game already. Might as well get rid of it, though most will probably have it already. :/

MNC

dota213au0.jpg

Just got that, a hardware survey? Seems pretty worthless, the link goes to the Dota 2 page where it seems anyone can just take the survey anyway. Anyone have some insight?

You have no idea how valuable this is.

People do the hardware survey to opt-in, but it's not a sure case to get in the beta.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well Dungeons of Dredmor has made me laugh out loud more than a few times already.

Glad you seem to enjoy it :)

To explain it differently: It's a turned based, grid based dungeon crawler... think Diablo meets Final Fantasy Tactics. The catch is it's much harder and death is permanent - as in, when you die, you have to start over with a new character. To keep it fresh however, the entire dungeon layout, chest locations, enemy spawn patterns, etc are randomized on every new game. The point of the game is hone your skills and figure out the best skill sets to clear the dungeon - those skills in the picture posted aren't actually skills, they're entire skill tree sets with a half-dozen abilities to unlock inside. There's a lot of variety and how you build your character each time.

Nice explanation! Dont know if you know, but you can chose non permanent death now. Making it a lot noob friendlier.

kennah

I don't know why anyone would choose non-perma death. It ruins the whole spirit of the game.

Though I did get screwed over by it once when my old autosave overwrote my newer save and quit save.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I don't know why anyone would choose non-perma death. It ruins the whole spirit of the game.

Though I did get screwed over by it once when my old autosave overwrote my newer save and quit save.

I wouldnt recommend playing it like that, but I cant argue about giving players a choice. There are certainly players who asked for it.

Fitz

Pretty sure that means you have been given DOTA 2. You need to do the hardware survey to opt-in to the beta is all.

Haha, what? That's really weird. It might be that "Hardware Survey" just means you got into the beta because of the hardware survey? I don't know, though. I got my invite from a friend.

You have no idea how valuable this is.

People do the hardware survey to opt-in, but it's not a sure case to get in the beta.

Hmm, I guess I should find out if it's an actual beta invite or just an option to do something anyone can do for nothing. I don't have much interest in Dota so I'll most certainly just trade it.

EDIT:

Lol you into the beta man

congrats

Oh really? Will definitely be trading it then.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Already been brought up, I think, but is there any reason to get HL over HL Source? (I already own it on disc, but it'd be nice to have in my Steam library.)

Anyone want to try to do the Spiral Knights achievement? add me on steam: appledrank

You don't need a partner to do it. Just join a Lockdown game (you need 200 crowns to do this, but you can easily get those by just playing through the first mission after the tutorial), throw a snowball at someone in the opposing team, and you're done.

Hmm, I guess I should find out if it's an actual beta invite or just an option to do something anyone can do for nothing. I don't have much interest in Dota so I'll most certainly just trade it.

EDIT:

I'm up for that trade :p

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If you have a cd key you can just enter it in steam and it'll give you the game.

Really? Oh shit, I need to find that then...

EDIT: Turns out finding an old disc you haven't seen in years (and possibly didn't even bring with you when you moved) isn't very easy! But I'm sure it exists. Somewhere.

Adnor

Banned
Guys, buy Dungeons of Dredmor. It's amazing.
Seriously.
Buy it.

And try the expansion, it add a lot.

Go, my Diggle brothers! Go and die for me!

MNC

EDIT:

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. The survey is for the opt-in etc. But that thing in your list is the beta itself. Which is why it's so valuable.

Jzero

I just installed pretty much clicked the crossed swords on the top right, it spawned me in a snow level i presume in a game called "lockdown" and you can pick up snow balls and throw them at people. Hit the opposing team once ?????? coal!

1. play game until you get 200 coins.
2. hit the red sword icon in the top left and join a lockdown game.
3. if the map is a snowy map look around for some snowballs. Right click to pick them up and hit a dude with them. if the map isn't snowy either play it out or quit and look for another lockdown game.

Click on the crossed swords in the top right, join a game. Hopefully you'll get a level with snow, pick up snowballs and throw them.
Thanks guys that was fun and easy

Bilix

Arg! It's been hours and I get stuck in a loading loop trying to purchase anything or view my account. I really don't want to miss a sale day!

Toma

Arg! It's been hours and I get stuck in a loading loop trying to purchase anything or view my account. I really don't want to miss a sale day!

I guess you tried restarting Steam already? Works fine for me now.

Fitz

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. The survey is for the opt-in etc. But that thing in your list is the beta itself. Which is why it's so valuable.

Thanks, seems a few people want it so I'll probably just make a post in the holiday trading thread.

1-D_FTW

Nice to see Sega still hasn't fixed the crash bug in Spiral Knight. Had this issue at launch and, although I forget the problem, it was extremely common. *DELETES* and never to been installed again.

Toma

so the general consensus is converting Coal to gifts is a bad idea?

Nah, I'll definitely convert it. The win chances for the draw are slim anyway. Might take my chances on a random game win, which I could trade away if I dont like it.

But I can understand people not converting *shrug*

Matter of opinion.

Peff

Won't they consider that cheating?

They didn't last Summer when many people used one for Super Meat Boy.

EDIT: ^^Well, it depends on how the achievements are set up. In SMB's case most save files also gave you 100% completion and such at exactly the same time.

MRORANGE

Nah, I'll definitely convert it. The win chances for the draw are slim anyway. Might take my chances on a random game win, which I could trade away if I dont like it.

I kinda wish somone would keep a log of coal outcomes, would give a lot more sense into this crackpot lottery bonanza.

1-D_FTW

But I can understand people not converting *shrug*

Matter of opinion.

Yeah. Because the odds of people not having any leftovers is extremely slim. And even if every person only averaged 1 coal (way too low) left, that's still way more than a million to one to win the grand prize.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
4 coals so far. I guess I've been bad this year? :(

Same, 4 coal and 2 literally worthless coupons, I wonder which of them I prefer >_<
Maybe coal I guess, since I could consolidate them into more shitty coupons :III

so the general consensus is converting Coal to gifts is a bad idea?

I'm debating this myself. If you don't have every valve game, then it's probably worth holding onto them. 1000 Complete Packs is a lot. You'd also have to assume that a good number of the gift hunters would be hardcore users, so I think you'd have a pretty good chance. If you already have all the Valve games you want, convert them.

Man, I wish I could convert the coupons to coal. At the moment I have two useless 50% off coupons (Valve and for A.R.E.S, a game I have no interest in that's currently 70% off).
I have a 10% off SEGA games. Try to beat that, guys.

Also, thank God I didn't jump inmediatly on Psychonauts. There's a Double Fine Pack with Costume Quest, which I also want, so that baby is coming home... But how much is it in the USA? Steamprices.com doesn't have it on their database, and every euro saved is an euro which I can use to buy a cheap indie game the last day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom