• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotch

I'm trying to do the Tropico 4 1000-people achievement. Any pointers in how to more quickly get more people?

Apart from setting open door policy on the immigration office as already mentioned, you should set the clinics and hospitals to the maternity thing (don't know the exact name but it gives more babies).

Manik

FfOxV.png

AudioSurf
• Candy Stripe
Make a candy stripe
SOLUTION: Get a red-white-red combo in the game, change game colors to get the achievement.

This didn't work for me when I changed the game colours to only white and red - had to do it using the default colours.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
So I noticed the WB pack seems to be missing now, with all links to it leading to the front page. Also all prices are missing from my wishlist. :(

Red

Just got around to trying Orcs Must Die after picking it up yesterday.

It runs horribly on my 5870, much worse than it should be. Averaging about 25fps, getting as low as 15. Seems to get worse the closer I get to the pink glowy forcefields the orcs emerge from.

I also met the requirements for the Steam achievement, but it did not unlock.

How are PC controls on LEGO Batman? How is LEGO Batman in general?
When I played it on X Box, it was very buggy. I remember falling through the ground a few times, and had several random lock ups. It's the buggiest Lego game I've played. When it worked, it was fun, but I am not very confident that the PC version would have less issues than the console one.

atomsk

Party Pooper
did some objectives today and checked inventory and was like OH SHIT I WON A GAME

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

current sale price... 62 cents

GT8NB.jpg

So I bought the Cthulu Saves the World double pack earlier and gifted it to someone and I noticed that it's still in my inventory. Is that normal or does that mean the gifting didn't go through and I should do it again or what?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I bought the Cthulu Saves the World double pack earlier and gifted it to someone and I noticed that it's still in my inventory. Is that normal or does that mean the gifting didn't go through and I should do it again or what?

It's possible that the recipient hasn't accepted the gift yet, but it's likely that you're experiencing the same bug as a few of us (myself included). Steam is moving a bit slow right now and it takes awhile for some gifted games to disappear from your inventory. They can't be traded or gifted, though, you'll get a message saying the gift is used or invalid. This happened to me yesterday, but they're gone now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

It runs horribly on my 5870, much worse than it should be. Averaging about 25fps, getting as low as 15. Seems to get worse the closer I get to the pink glowy forcefields the orcs emerge from.

Not sure about your performance issues (it runs great on my laptop), but for the achievement you need to not only just use weapons/spells and arrow wall traps, but also only have those equipped.

I have a 50% off any Valve game coupon if anyone wants it. Everyone probably got this garbage but I'm just throwing it out there. Willing to trade it for something.

Vamphuntr

Just did the Spiral Knight one. Game is pretty fun but I think you eventually reach a wall and have to pay real money? I could only do the same level to grind crowns.

Anyway so far I got 4 coals, 33% off Valve and 25% off Activision.

Hylian7

So if I understand this right, the other achievements we know won't actually get you a prize until they show up on the Great Gift Pile page, right?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just did the Spiral Knight one. Game is pretty fun but I think you eventually reach a wall and have to pay real money? I could only do the same level to grind crowns.

Anyway so far I got 4 coals, 33% off Valve and 25% off Activision.

I believe it's like the -ville games, where you get a small amount of some currency (which you need to progress in any meaningful way) every day, and if you want to progress faster you'll have to pay real money for it.

MRORANGE

Hey MRORANGE, you should put GAF recommendations for the Daily Deals. Like buy X and Y, but not Z.

I feel my views would be biased and not fair, I leave it onto other gaffers to post there opinion on currents deals. A general rule I take if it's 75% or less you might as well take the ride and see how it goes.

I will do something like the cream of the crop of the cheapest games on steam at the end of the sale.

goober

I feel my views would be biased and not fair, I leave it onto other gaffers to post there opinion on currents deals. A general rule I take if it's 75% or less you might as well take the ride and see how it goes.

I will do something like the cream of the crop of the cheapest games on steam at the end of the sale.

Okay. Twas just a suggestion cause the recommendations here go by pretty quick with how fast the thread moves sometimes.

You never have to spend money because Gas Energy refills at a rate of 100/day, but because the maximum amount of Gas you can carry is 100 and Energy is used for every single thing you do to progress your character it's pretty hard to get away with never buying any Crystal Energy for real monies or Crowns. 100 Energy is only enough to do 10 dungeons, and crafting anything worthwhile costs several hundred Energy. With the exchange rate for Crowns to Energy being quite lopsided, it would take quite a while to earn enough Crowns to buy a meaningful amount of Crystal.

Picked up Tropico 4 and Duke Nukem (come on, it's $5.00!)

That just leaves Saints Row 3, Driver: San Fransisco, Deus Ex and LA Noire left on my wish list.

Vamphuntr

You never have to spend money because Gas Energy refills at a rate of 100/day, but because the maximum amount of Gas you can carry is 100 and Energy is used for every single thing you do to progress your character it's pretty hard to get away with never buying any Crystal Energy for real monies or crowns. 100 Energy is only enough to do 10 dungeons, and crafting anything worthwhile costs several hundred Energy.

I see! Thank you for the explanation. I will definitely play this and Psychonauts again. Yeah I figured that everything required energy and you need a ridiculous amount of crowns to buy 100. It was like 6000+ crowns for 100 energy. Even activating the elevators to dungeon require some energy haha.

PaulLFC

5 achievements and the free gift so far, I got:

- 25% off any Valve game
- 50% off Beat Hazard Complete
- SAW
- 3 pieces of coal

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Sweet, did all achievements for the day: Spiral Knights, Psychonauts, Dungeons of Dredmor and did yesterday's Bunch of Heroes one.

I got: 3 coals and one Frozenbyte Collection (which I already have, obviously)

Hey, still better than stupid coupons!

I just gave away my Valve and World of Goo coupons. I got a THQ coupon and 2 lumps of coal.

Psychonauts Acheevs are both acheeved. Have not checked my inventory yet. Going in for more acheevs. I like to see big numbers.

Is 75% the biggest discount? I bought Costume Quest, then noticed Psychonauts for $2.50 (75% off).

gabenddsign.gif, I know, but I don't see a timer on Psychonauts.

Nabs

I'm getting 100-175 on my 5850, so something is definitely wrong there.

Red

Not sure about your performance issues (it runs great on my laptop), but for the achievement you need to not only just use weapons/spells and arrow wall traps, but also only have those equipped.

Are you required to use the arrow traps? I finished it only using the bow, maybe that's why.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Haha, talking about Karma or something. Got 6 coals so far, and then I did the achievement for Dungeons of Dredmor of all things and won the Oddboxx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom