• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannerbot

Haha, talking about Karma or something. Got 6 coals so far, and then I did the achievement for Dungeons of Dredmor of all things and won the Oddboxx.

Big prizes coming up for you then if Frozen Synapse and SpaceChem have daily objectives, I know I'm not the only one you convinced to buy those games. :p

Tomodachi

The WARNER BROS. complete pack is GONE.

Too many people bought and Warner smelled a chance to earn more money with individual titles?
I still see it in my inventory, are you referring to the 25% one? I hope they'll replace with something else if they really pull it off. OR ELSE.

EDIT: then again I'm seeing a gift I already gave away so I guess the inventory is refreshing pretty slowly. FUUUUUU-

EDIT2: forgive my dumbness, it's pretty late where I live. For some reason I thought you were talking about the coupon. LOL.

coopolon

so the general consensus is converting Coal to gifts is a bad idea?

I am definitely planning on converting as many as I can. I imagine I won't end up with a multiple of 7 though, so I'll probably have a few left over.

it's been like 3-4 hours. should i just end it? heh.

Yah, long time as in 10-15 minutes for me (which seemed like 3-4 hours, things shouldn't take that long to install...). But 3-4 hours, something is probably wrong.

Has anyone managed to get 7 pieces of coal yet, and if so. Did you trade it for a prize? I would be pretty shitty if the coal only got you a stupid valve coupon or something. I think 7 pieces of coal should get you a Golden coupon.

coopolon

Has anyone managed to get 7 pieces of coal yet, and if so. Did you trade it for a prize? I would be pretty shitty if the coal only got you a stupid valve coupon or something. I think 7 pieces of coal should get you a Golden coupon.

A few people have posted they converted 7 to a gift and got a shitty coupon.

Proxy

I installed RO2 again after not having played for months to get the achievement. I must say that the game is still disappointing and after all this time still runs like crap (at least on my system).

Jasoco

Banned
The Half-Life bundle is really tempting. $10 for Half-Life, Half-Life 2 and the expansions and episodes. I should. I really should.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The Half-Life bundle is really tempting. $10 for Half-Life, Half-Life 2 and the expansions and episodes. I should. I really should.

Haha, to give to a friend you mean? A friend who hasn't played them? Haha...

You...you have played the Half Life games....right?

Logically speaking the correct choice is to convert your coal, as seven of each guarantees that you get something whether you like it or not. However, keeping them increases the reward as well as the risk, so if you're the gambling type it makes more sense to keep 'em.

Not sure about your performance issues (it runs great on my laptop), but for the achievement you need to not only just use weapons/spells and arrow wall traps, but also only have those equipped.

Wife got the achievement and she had a bunch of other stuff equipped. I don't think it matters as long as you only use the crossbow and arrow wall but you probably have to at least have the arrow wall unlocked.

The first time I did it with only my crossbow and didn't get the achievement. Since it was my first time playing the game, the arrow wall unlocked after I completed the level. I did the level again only equipping and using the arrow wall and crossbow and was able to get the achievement.

Chesskid1

Banned
has anyone played fable - TLC? how does saving work?

at the beginning, i played like 10 min then made a decision i didn't like so i reverted to a save and it started over! i read the save box closer and it said it only saves renown, experience, etc but does not save quest progress. i've since played another hour but i'm scared to save and quit because it does not save "quest progress".

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
How's the PC port for Psychonauts? Been a game I've always been meaning to try, but I bought Strangers Wrath during the fall sale and that runs like dog shit.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Heads up, Total War:Shogun 2 is going to be $7.50 on amazon tomorrow(it's steamworks) and Sonic Generations will be $14.99 which I think is steamworks as well.

KScorp

How are you doing it at all? This game is impossibly hard and it's agitating me, I can't believe Valve is making us play these games. Isn't buying them enough?

They don't force you to; it's just if you want a chance of getting a coupon/coal/game in exchange for unlocking cheevos.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How are you doing it at all? This game is impossibly hard and it's agitating me, I can't believe Valve is making us play these games. Isn't buying them enough?

Pick the lowest difficulty setting and these skills:

Unarmed, vampirism, viking, Perceptive, heavy armor, alchemy and another one.

You should be able to plow through the first floor without doing anything since you even regen due to the vampire stuff.

Good lord, as if it's not enough that he pillages our wallets apparently Gabe Newell has a gun to this poor soul's head! When will the madness ever end?!

ElRenoRaven

Heads up, Total War:Shogun 2 is going to be $7.50 on amazon tomorrow(it's steamworks) and Sonic Generations will be $14.99 which I think is steamworks as well.

Oh that's not bad. I'm torn. I want Sonic but I have a feeling that it could end up cheaper during the steam sale if not the same. Tough choice.

Oh that's not bad. I'm torn. I want Sonic but I have a feeling that it could end up cheaper during the steam sale if not the same. Tough choice.

Either way it's worth it. Sonic Generations is easily the best Sonic game since Sonic Adventure (I haven't played Sonic Colors yet) and Sega did a tremendous job with the PC version.

Welp, my three achievements today (Spiral Knights, Psychonauts, and Dungeons of Dredmor) sure gave out some lame gifts.
- A piece of coal (Best gift of the three)
- 50% off AI War: Fleet Command
- 50% off A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda (Which I already own)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom