• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale has begun! Update: OVAH.

Wired said:
Trials2: Holy fuck this runs like shit on "Normal" graphic settings. Disappointing, it doesn't look THAT good.

Is your PC 4 years old??

Regardless, play it for an hour and see if you still notice the graphics. Hardest achievements ever.

Mr.City

How does Prince of Persia run on the PC? I've been toying around with the idea of buying it. Hell, I've been thinking about getting the Witcher and the Longest Journey too.

Volcynika

Mr.City said:
How does Prince of Persia run on the PC? I've been toying around with the idea of buying it. Hell, I've been thinking about getting the Witcher and the Longest Journey too.

I know at least Blizzard has it for PC.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Confession #1: I've never really played Company Of Heroes, but I'm about to buy CoH Gold.

Confession #2: I'm only buying it to learn the gameplay mechanics in preparation for Dawn Of War II.

Sciz

Toby said:
I did. I think it was cheaper when they had the sale on it before, but I couldnt pass it up. Really wanted to play through RTCW again.
Nah, it was half off last time too. Totally worth it, best deal on there.

TheOneGuy said:
Oh thank fucking god, someone else spent more than me. (Way more!!)
Hell I ain't done yet, I added world of goo to my list, was looking at sam and max as well, might save that for the Great Steam End of Year Sales of 2009 though...
And DefCon!!!

Proc

otake said:
I am so happy about this sale. I bought audiosurf and I'm absolutely fucking loving it! Dunno why I didn't purchase it earlier but there is nothing like playing this game to the tune of Dave Dee. Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich's "Hold Tight!". Amazing.:D

I'm loving this game as well, just blasted through some lcd soundsystem and lil' wayne.

I have a weird bug though, the game works perfectly except for when I try playing on the casual setting. The level doesn't load at all. Just a black screen with music playing. I don't intend to play it on casual but I did find that really odd.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Does X-Com work in Vista at all? It says Xp only, but what are my chances of getting it to run?

Zzoram

I bought World of Goo, Trials 2: Second Edition and Bioshock. I don't plan to replay Bioshock any time soon, but $5 for 2007 GOTY is too much of a deal to pass up, and I want to encourage more of these types of sales.

Mr.City said:

The early parts (when I was testing FPS) of PoP run above 30fps with all settings at max (including vsync and FSAA) on a 4870. I'm using a 4870x2 and will get drops on the larger levels but it has never been enough to bother changing the settings.

Assuming that you enjoy their respective genres, you cannot got wrong with the Witcher and TLJ/Dreamfall.

Tendo

Anyone else having any issues with the first runaway game? I am getting a "this game is currently unavailable error" when trying to load the setup, and it wont' run without first setting up the video settings. I even tried deleting and redownloading it.

Mr.City said:
I'm thinking about picking up the Xcom games. What are they like though?

As Sinatar said, they are squad-based tactical battle games with a delicious research and development layer on top.

The original X-COM game is a classic and still holds up VERY well to this day. You only notice the graphics for about the first ten minutes or so of play, once you shoot down your first UFO and start hunting for floaters the game just feels perfect in almost every way. Easily one of the best PC games ever made, and a steal in this sale considering they've done all the work to make sure it runs on everything on a modern machine (no small feat).

K.Jack said:
Does X-Com work in Vista at all? It says Xp only, but what are my chances of getting it to run?

they all run on vista now. There was a farkup in the Terror from the Deep release that prevented it from running in Vista, but it works fine now since they updated it.

Twig

Banned
Motion Picture Soundtrack said:
I only played Darwinia briefly today, but it seemed kind of boring. Does it get any better?
Much better. The first level is retardedly boring. You're not the first to be deterred by the absolutely shitty tutorial level. ):

Darklord

Banned
I'm thinking of buying Beyond Good & Evil. Is it worth it now? I mean has it aged well?

Oh yeah, a bit off-topic but my friends list seems to be on the blink at the moment and I can't sign in. Can my friends still see me online at all if I'm on steam but not on the friends list, like even on the community page? :\

bkw

Nope, don't think so. You'll only appear as online in the Friend's list and community page if you are signed in on Friends. You can try it out by going offline in Friends and going to your community page. It'll say when you were last online.

zaxor0

Fio said:
I know there's a demo, but is RACE 07 a good game? It's $5 right now. I'm very tempted to buy it.

I have it + the GTR expansion. I love it, but that is because I love racing sims. It isn't that easy though, but if you are into sims its good. If you have a wheel its amazing to play. if you get it my steamid is zaxor1. always looking for people to play with online!

M3wThr33

Banned
Darklord said:
I'm thinking of buying Beyond Good & Evil. Is it worth it now? I mean has it aged well?

Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it.

Mr.City said:
Seems like a great port to me. Runs fantastic on my 8800GT and 2.6GHz (or something thereabouts) dual core, with the options turned up and running at 1920x1200. It always feels great to be able to run games at native res on a big-ass monitor.

Xapati

gregor7777 said:
Very nice. What do I need to buy?

This?

Going to try the demo now.

I'm probably a bit late, but yes, You want the platinum edition. I never played Soulstorm as it wasn't made by Relic and I didn't like the impressions it was getting. The only issue is the online community is a bit thin. The first two campaigns are pretty good and you can play LAN with just one key (although however there is an excellent AI mod out there:

http://browse.files.filefront.com/W...f+War+Dark+Crusade/;1888290;/browsefiles.html

Also look for some of the community map packs:
http://files.filefront.com/Community+Map+Pack+1+4/;6201846;/fileinfo.html

Seriously, get those two downloads, they add tonnes of replayability to the game. Just make sure they're installing into the right directory as the default paths are set for the retail version.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Darklord said:

Oh yeah, a bit off-topic but my friends list seems to be on the blink at the moment and I can't sign in. Can my friends still see me online at all if I'm on steam but not on the friends list, like even on the community page? :\
I recently played through the Steam version of the game.

It holds up very, very well. More so then I was expecting.

It's only flaws are that it is a tad short, the world is a bit small, the overworld design seems like they just plonked the different areas they needed in the middle of the ocean on separate islands and the combat is average. But those are all minute nitpicks, play the game, it is great.

A game that actually does stealth elements well is a very special game in my books.

EazyB

Banned
Quick Steam question. Does Steam keep track of all the time played anywhere or is there only a "Last 2 weeks" stat?

EazyB said:
Your shopping cart
$7.49 Beyond Good and Evil™
$7.49 Indigo Prophecy
$0.99 Opposing Force
$0.99 Half-Life: Blue Shift
$2.49 Trials 2 Second Edition

$19.45 Estimated total

And here are the game's I've downloaded since my last post:

Heavy Weapon Deluxe
Unreal Deal Pack
Ultimate Doom
Reaxxion
Doom 2
World of Goo
Trackmania United
X-Com: UFO Defense

I have a pretty shitty computer but if you guys see anything missing that I might like I'd love to hear some suggestions.

RJT

GAF, I need your help:

-Rainbow Six 3:I loved the old tactical Rainbow Sixes, and I assume 3 is like that, right? Mission planning, different squads, all of that? Damn, we need a "next-gen" real Rainbow Six :(

-Beyond Good & Evil: I heard it was better with a gamepad, and I don't have one. Will I enjoy it on kb+m?

Can some kind gaffers do me a huge favour?

I have 9 US dollars in my paypal account but it wont let me buy bioshock without first adding credit card details which I do not have yet. I just want to get it before the sale ends and i dont think my debite card will arrive by then

I'll happily paypal you 9 US dollars if somebody would gift me bioshock?

Thankyou my steam account is "youtoobono"

RJT said:
Beyond Good & Evil: I heard it was better with a gamepad, and I don't have one. Will I enjoy it on kb+m?

Sure; that's the way I played it the first time around and loved it. I'm using a 360 controller now and the analog sticks do not register with the game anyway so it's really just WASD+mouse controls mapped onto a controller.

pilonv1

anyone else having credit card issues atm? my card isn't being accepted due to an "incorrect address", but it's the same one i always have on my file

burgerdog

Anyone else getting:
Steam - Purchase pending
Your purchase is still being processed - Steam will notify you when the transaction has been completed. Until then, this game is not available to play.

I've never gotten that message before. ;/

Wired

wormstrangler said:
Is your PC 4 years old??

Regardless, play it for an hour and see if you still notice the graphics. Hardest achievements ever.

:lol No, but it is a laptop so that might be comparable,

Some of my specs,
Intel Core2 Duo T5600 (@1.83 GHZ, whatever that means)
2 gigs of RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon X1700

Obviously nothing here is bleeding edge, but I was surprised at how badly it ran. There's not much going on except the graphics and some physics. I just wish the graphics customizations were better. Oh well, I set it down to "Low" (I wish it was possible to use shadows on low setting).

Oh and I DID play it for an hour... fucking hard. But fun so it was still well worth the (small) price.

Stitch

Gold Member
RJT said:
GAF, I need your help:

-Rainbow Six 3:I loved the old tactical Rainbow Sixes, and I assume 3 is like that, right? Mission planning, different squads, all of that? Damn, we need a "next-gen" real Rainbow Six :(

YES

it's the last good rainbow six game :( it even comes with the addon :D awesome deal for 3.74

Mr.City said:
Anyone here who bought the ID pack? It's looking very tempting.

I bought it last year when it was on sale for a lot more than it is now. :lol

Prince of Persia Pack$48.74
BioShock™$4.99
Reaxxion$0.99
Luxor 2$0.99
Trials 2 Second Edition$2.49
Unreal Deal Pack$19.99
THQ Collector Pack$74.99
Bullet Candy$3.59
Summary of charges$156.77

Damn you steam :'(

Edit: Nvm, seems steam is hosed right now. It's denying the card I've used since I got my steam account. :/

Twig

Banned
Is Runaway actually good? I always thought it looked kind of crap...

Not that I'll buy it at this point anyway, just curious for the future.

Bankoiia

I'm trying to play Opposing Force which I got off the sale...
I have to jump on top of a crate, but my jumps are too short and thus, I'm currently stuck. I'm quite dumbfounded by this.

(Trials 2 is tearing me apart! It's nice.)

Wired

Bankoiia said:
I'm trying to play Opposing Force which I got off the sale...
I have to jump on top of a crate, but my jumps are too short and thus, I'm currently stuck. I'm quite dumbfounded by this.

(Trials 2 is tearing me apart! It's nice.)

crouch while jumping

firex

:|
Company of Heroes won't even work for me. It keeps asking me to insert the CD and verify it, so I said fuck it and uninstalled it. I hope reinstalling will fix it.

dock

Question regarding the DOS based games, like Doom and Doom 2, that Steam uses Dosbox to launch. Can I take those DOS install files and run them on a different machine using Dosbox?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
firex said:
:|
Company of Heroes won't even work for me. It keeps asking me to insert the CD and verify it, so I said fuck it and uninstalled it. I hope reinstalling will fix it.

if you go along the lines of 'no' it will ask you where you purchased, there should be an option for steam there.

this is to connect to relic online, not play the sp game.

dork

Banned
everyone should get company of heroes

its the reason i got a new pc, i could only run the demo on my original computer. the game is just balls to the wall awesome

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i asked this earlier, but since i got no response and deal time is coming to and end, i'll ask again.

can someone whoes played both the original brothers in arms games and hell's highway please explain why the newest version isn't a worthy successor? what does it get wrong that the originals got right? it's gotten generally favourable reviews, but to hell with them.

Top Bottom