• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale has begun! Update: OVAH.

Corum said:
I'm just about to buy Bioshock (obvious choice) but I'm unsure about Prince of Persia, I haven't read up to much about the gameplay although I love the art style, any words of advice?
It's easy?

CajoleJuice said:
I just purchased Civ IV Complete, Bioshock, and Defcon a little while ago. I'm thinking about Trackmania, but wasn't that FREE for a short time earlier in the year? I just missed it. :(

Nations was (is?) free, but United is a whole different story. More cars, more environments. Nations is limited to one car, one environment IIRC.

ghst said:
world in conflict seems to fit this criteria, have you tried it yet?

Nope, not yet. Quick multiplayer matches?

Xapati said:
Dawn of War. Games last between 5 and 20 minutes.

Very nice. What do I need to buy?

This?

Going to try the demo now.

So I have purchased COD WAW, Witcher, Trackmania United, Stalker CS, Silent Hill homecoming, Race 07, Rainbow Six Vegas, Mount and Blade, Trials 2, and a few others.
Up to about 250 games :(

Alan

Althane

Yes, do Platinum edition.

Start off with space marines. They'll teach you the basics. Branch off later when you find the specifics that you like, it's pretty easy to link each race to a playstyle.

Get Soulstorm as well. Unless there's a new edition out with it, in which case get THAT edition.

Still having problems with steam. Blarg.

To anyone outside USA (or major Steam regions): I was able to buy Bioshock (US$ 4.99) using a free USA VPN service. You just have to buy the game through a VPN, you can download/install it later without it. Worked great. (This is also valid if you live in a region where prices are higher - and eurolanders that want to use US$).

Crateman

Chiaroscuro said:
You just have to buy the game through a VPN, you can download/install it later without it. Worked great. (This is also valid if you live in a region where prices are higher - and eurolanders that want to use US$).

Are you sure you want send you CC info trough a free VPN server?

Haden

Banned
Is Stalker worth a purchase? Just coming off a fallout 3 mammoth game, it looks to have the same kind of atmosphere but its an FPS instead. Is clear sky better or should I get both?

RJT

Haden said:
Is Stalker worth a purchase? Just coming off a fallout 3 mammoth game, it looks to have the same kind of atmosphere but its an FPS instead. Is clear sky better or should I get both?
Stalker is one of the best games in recent years. Haven't played Clear Sky yet, but I suppose you should start with the original.

gregor7777 said:
Nations was (is?) free, but United is a whole different story. More cars, more environments. Nations is limited to one car, one environment IIRC.
Yeah, I have Nations and have played it to death. I'll probably end up buying United before the sale is over. I just don't want to see it for $5 some weekend. :(

I would also pick up DoW if its sequel weren't coming out this year.

Also, I think I'm going to check out the Darwinia/Multiwinia demo(s) to see if I want those.

Steam owns my soul.

jwj442

Will Left4Dead run decently on an ATI 9600?

Also, Ultimate Doom is an enhanced version of Doom 1 right? Or am I thinking of something else?

jwj442 said:
Will Left4Dead run decently on an ATI 9600?

Also, Ultimate Doom is an enhanced version of Doom 1 right? Or am I thinking of something else?

As good as TF2 or any other recent would run on it so probably not good at all. Maybe decent with everything all the way down.

FatalT

Banned
Here's my total haul:

Alien Shooter: Vengeance - $2.49
Bejeweled Deluxe - $0.99
Best of the Underground - $9.99
Bioshock - $4.99
Civilization IV Complete Pack - $24.99
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts - $14.99
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - $7.49
Heavy Weapon Deluxe - $0.99
I-Fluid - $4.99
Luxor 2 - $0.99
Multiwinia - $4.99
Reaxxion - $0.99
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky - $17.49
Trials 2: Second Edition - $2.49
Unreal Deal - $19.99
World in Conflict - $22.49
World of Goo - $14.99

Grand total: $156.33

Proc

FatalT said:
Here's my total haul:

Alien Shooter: Vengeance - $2.49
Bejeweled Deluxe - $0.99
Best of the Underground - $9.99
Bioshock - $4.99
Civilization IV Complete Pack - $24.99
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts - $14.99
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - $7.49
Heavy Weapon Deluxe - $0.99
I-Fluid - $4.99
Luxor 2 - $0.99
Multiwinia - $4.99
Reaxxion - $0.99
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky - $17.49
Trials 2: Second Edition - $2.49
Unreal Deal - $19.99
World in Conflict - $22.49
World of Goo - $14.99

Grand total: $156.33

well done. I get excited seeing all you peoples playing pc games. I am totally in love with the platform lately.

Tendo

heroes of might and magic and spellforce 2. I'm kicking the idea of those sets around. What is spellforce like? It looks pretty but I have never heard of it before.

Argh... I have to stop! Too many games bought in the last hours (I would bought more if my PC was good enough but currently it is a meh).

FlatOut Ultimate Carnage (NA) 9.99 USD
Bejeweled Deluxe 0.99 USD
Culpa Innata 4.99 USD
Heavy Weapon Deluxe 0.99 USD
Luxor 2 0.99 USD
Reaxxion 0.99 USD
Runaway, A Road Adventure 4.99 USD
Runaway, The Dream of the Turtle 7.49 USD
Bioshock (NA) 4.99 USD
Portal 4.99 USD
Peggle Deluxe 4.99 USD

Why MS does not do something like that in Live? I would buy a dozen arcade games at half the price if they do so...

Proc said:
well done. I get excited seeing all you peoples playing pc games. I am totally in love with the platform lately.

Amen to that. As someone who has been a consolite most of his life (starting with the Atari 2600 in the early 80s) I am now much more into PC gaming than consoles. I use to be that kid that desperately wanted the newest console the day it came out. Now, when the next gen begins (whenever that is) I will be the one with a great library of PC games to play while waiting for all of the kinks to be worked out for the consoles. PC gaming is gaming at its finest and thanks to Steam for allowing me to have all of my games on one service.

Alan

epmode said:
Can you test that now? Several PC port reviews mention that the Sands of Time has no controller support at all.

When I played it through Gametap it worked just fine with my 360 pad, analog control and all.

Mardil

Wow this sale is freaking awesome, I'm thinking about getting L4D but I'm not too sure about it... do you guys really reccomend getting it? I've played it (offline only) and I've found it kind of boring, but I hear its a whole different game online...

Mardil said:
Wow this sale is freaking awesome, I'm thinking about getting L4D but I'm not too sure about it... do you guys really reccomend getting it? I've played it (offline only) and I've found it kind of boring, but I hear its a whole different game online...

Absolutely. No game in recent memory better illustrates how playing with real people can completely change a game.

Mardil said:

If you are going to get one game for 2008 that you want to last you a long time and that will give you an unlimited amount of "Oh my goodness" moments, there isn't a game more worthy than Left 4 Dead. Also, now is the perfect time since its on sale.

Alan

I just purchased Mass Effect and Company of Heroes.

Two types of games that I rarely/never play. I played the demo of CoH and felt overwhelemd when the krauts started attacking...I haven't played an RTS is years. Not sure if I was having fun with it or not, guess I'll find out.

senahorse

Purchases so far:

Bioshock $4.99
Bejeweled $0.99
Heavy Weapon $0.99
Opposing Force $0.99
Beyond Good and Evil $7.49
FlatOut Ultimate Carnage $9.99
Xpand Rally $4.49
Luxor 2 $0.99

Total...(so far): $30.92

I also bought most of those games (sans bioshock and flatout) for a friend.

This sale rocks, might pickup some more today. :D

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Chris Remo said:
Same on both counts!

as someone in the journalism game, does it ever bewilder you how neglected and inessential the platform is often (seemingly) regarded to be within your own industry?

i mean if i have to hear one more goddamn 2009 prediction cast that leaves out empire:total war......well, i probably wont do anything. maybe rage x out of my media player.

that said, the more i listen to podcasts outside of the ziff davis' san fran tech bubble, the more pc gaming talk i hear. idle thumbs being one of these.

ghst said:
as someone in the journalism game, does it ever bewilder you how neglected and inessential the platform is often (seemingly) regarded to be within your own industry?

i mean if i have to hear one more goddamn 2009 prediction thread that leaves out empire:total war......well, i probably wont do anything. maybe rage x out of my media player.

that said, the more i listen to podcasts outside of the ziff davis' san fran tech bubble, the more pc gaming talk i hear.
Yes, it actually actively irritates me. I frequently hear game journalist colleagues dismiss the PC as a gaming platform out of hand, often loudly and proudly. It is pretty mindblowing.

Mardil

Yeah so I think I'll get Portal and L4D. I really wanted to convince myself that the complete Valve package was the way to go, but I already own all HL games and CS...

Chris Remo said:
Yes, it actually actively irritates me. I frequently hear game journalist colleagues dismiss the PC as a gaming platform out of hand, often loudly and proudly. It is pretty mindblowing.

That's the part I don't get.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Chris Remo said:

gaf was not so different some 18 months ago (well, more like two years now). when a lone post from borys or draft would often be set against a sea of comfy couchian detractors.

it's certainly strange to hear the same arguments that have been long buried in this place still in regular rotation within the industry.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
i don't have access to a pc and i don't dual boot my mac.

just bought the two hl1 expansions, bioshock, and audiosurf!

edit: ... and aquaria

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Proc said:

haha, I'm converted all over again lately. I'm absolutely loving the platform, and bored by the alternatives and their limitations.

I also couldn't agree more about ignoring the ziff davis bubble. Just total ignorance to the breadth of gaming out there.

dLMN8R

Musashi Wins! said:
Titan Quest just makes me miss Diablo. Something is missing there.
Completely disagree. After playing 70+ hours of Titan Quest + Immortal Throne last year, playing Diablo 2 over the summer made me miss Titan Quest.

Akia

ghst said:
gaf was not so different some 18 months ago (well, more like two years now). when a lone post from borys or draft would often be set against a sea of comfy couchian detractors.

Starcraft II is such a game changer in that respect. I know many people in real life that are getting back into PC gaming when that game comes out. I expect lots of people on GAF (myself included) to build new rigs in preparation for the game's release.

In a nutshell, Blizzard is going to be a strong (maybe even the sole) catalyst for another PC gaming resurgence in the next year. They're going to have people hooked with Starcraft II (2009), Diablo III (2010), More Starcraft (2011/12), More Diablo (2011/12) and not to mention all the spillover to games on Steam/WoW.

Yeah, people are going to be coming back to the platform soon.

dLMN8R

celpacius said:
so how's titan quest? is there a huge online community? i dont like playing by myself =\
It's not like Diablo 2 with closed servers. People are free to bring hacked offline characters into the online game, so just play online with friends you trust.

In my 70+ hours of play though, I never went online.

Javaman

How is World in Conflict? I've never had this much trouble finding a demo or actual gameplay footage. All of the videos I've seen so far are like tech demos.

Edit: Er, nevermind. Found a video review.

Purchases:
Prince of Persia Pack
Bejeweled
Company of Heroes pack
Opposing Fronts
Blue Shift

Waiting to see if Rome Total War:complete gets put back up, otherwise I'm thinking of picking up world of goo. Steam is the bane of my existence....in a good way!

Chris R

I'm still torn over if I buy The Witcher or not :(

If it was more it would be a no buy for sure, and if it was less it would be a buy for sure, but at this price its a hard decision :(

Top Bottom