• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale has begun! Update: OVAH.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
ghst said:
i asked this earlier, but since i got no response and deal time is coming to and end, i'll ask again.

can someone whoes played both the original brothers in arms games and hell's highway please explain why the newest version isn't a worthy successor? what does it get wrong that the originals got right? it's gotten generally favourable reviews, but to hell with them.

It's a perfectly fine successor, it just is a very play it safe by the numbers sequel, didn't do anything to improve the series.

Sciz

dock said:
Question regarding the DOS based games, like Doom and Doom 2, that Steam uses Dosbox to launch. Can I take those DOS install files and run them on a different machine using Dosbox?
Yeah, there's nothing special about the data. Just the old games packed with a copy of DOSBox and a batch file that launches them directly. You can copy the folders to anything. Or edit the batch files to redirect to a source port instead and Steam won't know the difference.

Baha

Is Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines worth it at $17.99 or should I get something else instead? I'm already getting opposing forces & blue shift for $0.99 each since I missed out on those two way back when. Any suggestions for games currently at $17.99 or under? My specs are as follows:

AMD 3200+ 64-bit (2.0GHz)
MSI 6600GT
2GB DDR3 RAM
XP SP 2

Baha said:
Is Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines worth it at $17.99 or should I get something else instead?

Yes. The story and characters are fantastic, especially if you enjoy dark humor. The stat system is good (although using the unofficial patch helps) and getting at least one replay out of it is almost required to fully appreciate the game.

Baha

CabbageRed said:
Yes. The story and characters are fantastic, especially if you enjoy dark humor. The stat system is good (although using the unofficial patch helps) and getting at least one replay out of it is almost required to fully appreciate the game.

Thanks, I missed it months ago when it was on sale for a lot less but I'll bite now. What unofficial patch btw?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is Company of Heroes good? I liked what little I played of the demo, runs really smooth and looks nice too.

Want to bite but there are so many games and so little money :(.

What can anyone tell me about

I-Fluid
Bullet Candy
Trials 2
Reaxxion

They're cheap and look interesting but I can't tell much more about them.

Baha

Easy_D said:
Is Company of Heroes good? I liked what little I played of the demo, runs really smooth and looks nice too.

Want to bite but there are so many games and so little money :(.

If you can run it, get it. Definitely worth it if you're into RTS games that require more strategy than build a ton of shit and throw it at your enemy's base.

faceless007 said:

I-Fluid
Bullet Candy
Trials 2
Reaxxion

Trials 2 is great, but be prepared for a hard slog for the first couple of hours. It's like an old arcade game. If it actually was an arcade game, you'd be bankrupt withing your first hour...You basically have a finger hovering over the 'restart' or 'last checkpoint' buttons but it's good because you can restart withing microseconds.

Thomper

faceless007 said:

I-Fluid
Bullet Candy
Trials 2
Reaxxion

I-Fluid is apparently very buggy, but if it works, somewhat of a fun game.

Bullet Candy is worth it if you want a Geometry Wars-type game on PC. Though you could also buy that game for the same price.

Trials 2: worth it. Buy it. As wormstrangler says: it can be insanely hard, but it's incredibly addicting.

Reaxxion: It's a Breakout clone with a few minor twists. For 99 cents, you can't really go wrong, unless you have an aversion of anything Breakout-like.

So GAF, is Silent Hill Homecoming at 50% off a good purchase? I haven't played too much of the other silent hill games, i tried silent hill 3 on PC but gave up because i did not enjoy playing it with a keyboard and mouse and plan an getting 2 and 3 on ps2 sometime. I don't care if Pyramid Head's existence makes sense or not, is it a good game for $25?

Edit: Also, is the PC version any good? or is it a buggy POS?

Baha said:
Is Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines worth it at $17.99 or should I get something else instead? I'm already getting opposing forces & blue shift for $0.99 each since I missed out on those two way back when. Any suggestions for games currently at $17.99 or under? My specs are as follows:

AMD 3200+ 64-bit (2.0GHz)
MSI 6600GT
2GB DDR3 RAM
XP SP 2

Your computer's specs make no sense to me? you're saying you have DDR3 ram in your system, but you're running a 6600GT and an AMD (presumably) Athlon 64 3200+?

Gonna pick up Crysis and Warhead tomorrow when I get my new computer (as long as it works). 30 pounds seems good for both. Probably get World of Goo as well and I'm considering buying The Witcher again so I have it on Steam...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
There, satisfied my feminime urges and bought Trials 2 and Company of Heroes GOLD.
Sales are the work of the devil I tell ya.

Mr.City

Baloonatic said:
Gonna pick up Crysis and Warhead tomorrow when I get my new computer (as long as it works). 30 pounds seems good for both. Probably get World of Goo as well and I'm considering buying The Witcher again so I have it on Steam...

Unless you absolutely need them on your Steam account, you might want to check your local Gamestop for Crysis. The one near me has it on sale for $20. Also, Amazon may have Warhead cheaper than Steam.

RJT

CabbageRed said:
Sure; that's the way I played it the first time around and loved it. I'm using a 360 controller now and the analog sticks do not register with the game anyway so it's really just WASD+mouse controls mapped onto a controller.

Stitch said:
YES

it's the last good rainbow six game :( it even comes with the addon :D awesome deal for 3.74
Thank you, good sirs. I will proceed to spend my hard earned euros on those two games. Oh, and Ubi: I still hate you for your Wii support. Your old Pc games, though, are pure gold.

Baha

TouchMyBox said:
Your computer's specs make no sense to me? you're saying you have DDR3 ram in your system, but you're running a 6600GT and an AMD (presumably) Athlon 64 3200+?

Ok I might have the DDR jargon for my RAM confused. It's old DDR single channel RAM, 333MHz I think. I always assumed it was called DDR3 because the 3 stood for 333MHz. Mines clocked at 166MHz.

Ah, I did some research, I see what you mean. So yeah, not DDR3 but DDR-333.

Baha said:
What unofficial patch btw?

Here is the Steam thread for it. It fixes some errors that the devs were not able to get to before they had to close shop. Also, it adds content found on the disc that was not actually included in the gameplay. Most of it is unimportant but I believe it allows you to select background stories for you characters which and (might) put the malkavian voices back in the game.

Baha

CabbageRed said:
Here is the Steam thread for it. It fixes some errors that the devs were not able to get to before they had to close shop. Also, it adds content found on the disc that was not actually included in the gameplay. Most of it is unimportant but I believe it allows you to select background stories for you characters which and (might) put the malkavian voices back in the game.

Awesome, and this patch detects my steam install right? I also assume I'll be needing the 1.2 to 5.9 version.

Baha said:
Awesome, and this patch detects my steam install right? I also assume I'll be needing the 1.2 to 5.9 version.

You'll have to point the installer to the correct folder. So: [your drive]\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\vampire the masquerade - bloodlines

As a side note, you might not want your first character to be a Malkavian. Since their hook is insanity, all of their lines are different from the other vampire types, which means they also get unique replies from NPCs. The result is the story getting a little bent and it might not be as easy to follow the first time around. However, they are the perfect replay character since everything feels fresh and their insanity gives their dialogue uncanny insight which you'd miss on the first play through.

Baha

CabbageRed said:
You'll have to point the installer to the correct folder. So: [your drive]\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\vampire the masquerade - bloodlines

As a side note, you might not want your first character to be a Malkavian. Since their hook is insanity, all of their lines are different from the other vampire types, which means they also get unique replies from NPCs. The result is the story getting a little bent and it might not be as easy to follow the first time around. However, they are the perfect replay character since everything feels fresh and their insanity gives their dialogue uncanny insight which you'd miss on the first play through.

Excellent, thanks for the help.

Just bought a shit load off of steam.
Fired up some Quake 2 and played online. Wow, just as fun as I remembered (haven't played since 1999).
Oh sure, all the cool kids play(ed) Quake and Quake 3 Arena, but I was always a Quake 2 guy.

A quick quide for those wanting some old school Quake 2 on a modern day machine:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5125

Basically describes installing a modern port, allowing widescreen, and how it works with the steam version.

Yes, there are people playing online. I just finished playing on server found by browsing http://q2servers.com/. Makes me want to set up a dedicated server on my wife's old laptop, which was something that was impossible for me 10 years ago - pc costs, no broadband.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
ipukespiders said:
Just bought a shit load off of steam.
Fired up some Quake 2 and played online. Wow, just as fun as I remembered (haven't played since 1999).
Oh sure, all the cool kids play(ed) Quake and Quake 3 Arena, but I was always a Quake 2 guy.

A quick quide for those wanting some old school Quake 2 on a modern day machine:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5125

Basically describes installing a modern port, allowing widescreen, and how it works with the steam version.

Yes, there are people playing online. I just finished playing on server found by browsing http://q2servers.com/. Makes me want to set up a dedicated server on my wife's old laptop, which was something that was impossible for me 10 years ago - pc costs, no broadband.

Odd you posted this because i just decided to buy the id Super pack and was planning on playing some quake online. Thanks.

I have a question. I've purchased several retail games at rock-bottom prices and it turned out that I could activate them on steam using the codes in the box. Now when I want to install or play these games (Dark Messiah of M&M or The Ship, for example) I just use steam to pull them down and play. The discs are no longer required.

What can I do with these boxes/discs? I don't really want them and they don't do me much good anymore as I no longer need them to play the game.

Am I legally required to destroy them or can I donate them to a thrift shop or something? I'd imagine that the worst that would happen is that somebody else might try to activate the game on steam and it would deny them, but if they didn't try that they could play the game fine in the regular old fashion.

I'm guessing I would have to break the discs and burn them to be "technically" correct (which is the best kind of correct) but it just seems like such a waste.

I highly doubt you're legally required to destroy them or anything like that. But because the key that came with the discs is now permanently attached to your Steam account, the discs are useless to anyone else, as they would need to have a different key to use them.

BTW, I think Dark Messiah only needs Steam for multiplayer, I don't think the SP part needs Steam to activate. But I know you have to have a unique product key to install The Ship.

Just keep the discs, they'll be useful if you ever need to reinstall the games after a reformat or something (faster than re-downloading them).

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I don't know whether to get:

1)
World of Goo
Doom II
Ultimate Doom
Trials 2 Second Edition
Beyond Good and Evil
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved

or

2)
Left 4 Dead

What to do...>_<

Everdred

I bought:

Bioshock - Beat it on Hard on 360 but $5? FUCK!
Stalker: Clear Sky - Haven't played yet. Bought the first game last week for $5, really hope I like this series.
Id Super Pack - Which I regret, these games are not as good as I remember.
Xpand Rally Xtreme - Which is awesome and just the rally game I've needed. Wish the graphics were a little better though.
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum - Haven't played the series since the first game but played for about an hour and it's just as good as I remember.

Total: 93.45

faceless007 said:
I highly doubt you're legally required to destroy them or anything like that. But because the key that came with the discs is now permanently attached to your Steam account, the discs are useless to anyone else, as they would need to have a different key to use them.

BTW, I think Dark Messiah only needs Steam for multiplayer, I don't think the SP part needs Steam to activate. But I know you have to have a unique product key to install The Ship.

Yeah, I know you need the key to reinstall from the discs, but I'm pretty sure that the games (at least Dark Messiah for sure) don't phone home to steam to see if they've been activated. It's just an installation one-time check just like every other game.

On another note, it's a pity that more retail versions of steam games don't allow you to activate on steam like this. I've gotten a lot of retail games lately (many that are quite recent) that are also on steam but very very few allow you to link them to your account like Dark Messiah does. I don't want to keep the discs/boxes and installing via Steam is much much easier than installing from the discs (especially the games that come on 3-5 cd's as opposed to a DVD.) Not to mention auto-patching and the other benefits you only get when installed through a steam DL. It really takes a lot of the annoyances out of PC gaming.

I picked up Peggle, Gumboy, and a few of the $0.99 games. Also grabbed a couple copies of Civ3 for my brother and me -- I never got around to playing the expansions for that game, and getting it with all the expansions and Steam support for under 4 bucks is a steal.

This kind of thing makes me really love Valve. If I had a more substantial gaming PC and a bit more stable income, I could have easily found 20-30 games on there that I'd love to play. This sale is making the wait for a new gaming rig hurt even more... :(

neight

Banned
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I have a question. I've purchased several retail games at rock-bottom prices and it turned out that I could activate them on steam using the codes in the box. Now when I want to install or play these games (Dark Messiah of M&M or The Ship, for example) I just use steam to pull them down and play. The discs are no longer required.

What can I do with these boxes/discs? I don't really want them and they don't do me much good anymore as I no longer need them to play the game.

Am I legally required to destroy them or can I donate them to a thrift shop or something? I'd imagine that the worst that would happen is that somebody else might try to activate the game on steam and it would deny them, but if they didn't try that they could play the game fine in the regular old fashion.

I'm guessing I would have to break the discs and burn them to be "technically" correct (which is the best kind of correct) but it just seems like such a waste.
Mail Dark Mesisah out to me I won't play multiplayer.

WTF? What's going on with steam? I went to purchase the unreal collection since it was denying my card and now only the first 2 unreals are on steam the rest are gone. I don't think I'm gonna get anything for this sale until this gets straightened out....

Edit: WTF... Apparently Steam runs out of cd keys and doesn't restock after that for 3rd party according to the steam forums... That's so dumb, why tell people to use your DRM if you run out of cd keys when people want to buy it? What a awful distribution method.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Dr. Zoidberg said:
On another note, it's a pity that more retail versions of steam games don't allow you to activate on steam like this. I've gotten a lot of retail games lately (many that are quite recent) that are also on steam but very very few allow you to link them to your account like Dark Messiah does. I don't want to keep the discs/boxes and installing via Steam is much much easier than installing from the discs (especially the games that come on 3-5 cd's as opposed to a DVD.) Not to mention auto-patching and the other benefits you only get when installed through a steam DL. It really takes a lot of the annoyances out of PC gaming.

steamworks is looking to change all that. look to the saints row 2 drm thread for a discussion about it.

hopefully it's the start of a trend, anyone know of any other upcoming pc releases other than empire:TW and saints row 2 that are using steamworks? seems like something of a no brainer after the train wreck of securom.

ok finally got my card and added all the stuff to my cart again. For some reason though I can't find the Unreal deal pack, even though it was there yesterday. Has this been a problem for anyone else
edit: ha so it seems I'm not alone, and I wanted to play UT3 too :(

Benghis Khan said:
ok finally got my card and added all the stuff to my cart again. For some reason though I can't find the Unreal deal pack, even though it was there yesterday. Has this been a problem for anyone else

Read above. It's gone from their system and probably won't come back. :/ Stupid steam.

Althane

Judderman said:
I don't know whether to get:

1)
World of Goo
Doom II
Ultimate Doom
Trials 2 Second Edition
Beyond Good and Evil
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved

or

2)
Left 4 Dead

What to do...>_<

Left 4 Dead if you like multiplayer Zombie shooters. It's an excellent FPS, and a ton of fun.

I'd suggest it over Doom II and Ultimate Doom (besides, you can find freeware versions of those all over)

senahorse

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
WTF? What's going on with steam? I went to purchase the unreal collection since it was denying my card and now only the first 2 unreals are on steam the rest are gone. I don't think I'm gonna get anything for this sale until this gets straightened out....

Edit: WTF... Apparently Steam runs out of cd keys and doesn't restock after that for 3rd party according to the steam forums... That's so dumb, why tell people to use your DRM if you run out of cd keys when people want to buy it? What a awful distribution method.

According to this post from a valve employee they do:

UT3/UT2004 Packs
We've temporarily removed Unreal Tournament 3, Unreal Tournament 2004 and the Unreal Deal. We're getting low on CD keys to cover the demand. Once we have enough keys, we'll make the packages available again.

Everdred

I'm not home and won't be for another day to try this but does anyone know if any of these boxed retail games can be activated on steam? Crysis, Crysis: Warhead, Warhammer Online or Unreal Tournament 3?

x3n05 said:
According to this post from a valve employee they do:

Well, rome total war has been out of stock for a while so it must take a long time for them to "get enough keys". I wouldn't hold my breath, people were listing other games that went off a while ago and never came back up.

Edit: And steam is still denying the card I've used for 3 years... Screw this I'm not getting anything. What a waste.

VicViper

UT3/UT2004 Packs
We've temporarily removed Unreal Tournament 3, Unreal Tournament 2004 and the Unreal Deal. We're getting low on CD keys to cover the demand. Once we have enough keys, we'll make the packages available again.
Ridiculous if true. :lol

senahorse

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Well, rome total war has been out of stock for a while so it must take a long time for them to "get enough keys". I wouldn't hold my breath, people were listing other games that went off a while ago and never came back up.

Oh bugger, here I was thinking it would just be a case of Epic supplying a bunch of new keys from a keygen through email. Oh well hopefully they make these games the next Saturday deal or just honor the current prices for a day.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
x3n05 said:
Oh bugger, here I was thinking it would just be a case of Epic supplying a bunch of new keys from a keygen through email. Oh well hopefully they make these games the next Saturday deal or just honor the current prices for a day.

i remember when they ran out of company of heroes keys, it was back up within 24 hours.

Tendo said:

As I've already explained if you would read my posts there has been other games that went down due to running low on keys and never came back up. If it comes back up great but they don't have a stellar record since none that I know of actually went back up for sale.

Edit: Steam dropped the ball with this sale.

What am I missing out on if I choose Civ3 over Civ4?

EDIT: civ 3 is older than I thought. I can't remember if 2 or 3 was the last one I've played. It's been awhile.

Fio

Just a heads up. At least try the Mount and Blade demo. I've tried it and loved the game, I'll buy it for sure. It's 50% off.

Top Bottom