• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale has begun! Update: OVAH.

Fio

ghst said:
i mean if i have to hear one more goddamn 2009 prediction cast that leaves out empire:total war......well, i probably wont do anything. maybe rage x out of my media player.

I thought I was the only one noticing that.

Mrbob

Damn. Did The Movies get pulled off of steam? I downloaded the demo and enjoyed it. Looking at buying the full version but I can't find it.

rabhw

rhfb said:
I'm still torn over if I buy The Witcher or not :(

If it was more it would be a no buy for sure, and if it was less it would be a buy for sure, but at this price its a hard decision :(

GET IT.

Akia

Can I play with all the factions during multiplayer in Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor? Would I only be missing the campaigns in CoH and Opposing Fronts if I skip them?

Is there a Civilization V in development?

Anyone else getting errors when attempting to pay via Paypal? Worked fine before in the last few months I purchased from them. I tried switching over to using my credit card but I got an error as well. Looked at the support forums and there're a small number of people with the same problem.

Argh. I'm going to be out of town for the week tomorrow. The sale is gonna end before I make a successful purchase, isn't it. :(

Mrbob

Akia said:
Can I play with all the factions during multiplayer in Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor? Would I only be missing the campaigns in CoH and Opposing Fronts if I skip them?

Don't know about Tales of Valor, but my guess would be no.

Also, Civ series brings in too much money for 2K to stop making them. Although it might be awhile before Civ 5 is out.

Akia

Mrbob said:
Don't know about Tales of Valor, but my guess would be no.

Also, Civ series brings in too much money for 2K to stop making them. Although it might be awhile before Civ 5 is out.

I'm probably not going to play Civ 4 Complete or CoH Gold until next year if I buy it now. I just don't want to new versions of both series come out within the year and completely null my purchase.

ok my debit card should be arriving in the mail soon (hopefully before Jan, 2), so I've decided to buy stuff on Steam for the first time, yay. Anyway this is what I've got in my cart:

id super pack $34.95
Valve complete pack $74.95
Unreal deal pack $19.99
Bioshock $4.99 :D
Audiosurf $4.99
Arx Fatalis $4.49
Deus Ex $8.99
Multiwinia + Darwinia $7.49
Painkiller gold edition $7.49
STALKER: clear skies $17.49
Vampire the Masquerade $17.49
Birth of America $4.99
Disciples 2 gold $9.99
Luxor 2 $.99
Reaxxion $.99
Darkstar one $4.99
Culpa innata $4.99
Dark messiah of Might + magic $7.49
Company of Heroes $11.24
Bejewed 2 deluxe $.99
Total: $250.55

I know I've gone crazy:lol but I'm not planning on buying any more PC games until another big sale, and I like having stupidly big backlogs of games to play. Anything else worth buying people, anything on my list not worth getting?

Mrbob

Akia said:
I'm probably not going to play Civ 4 Complete or CoH Gold until next year if I buy it now. I just don't want to new versions of both series come out within the year and completely null my purchase.

Well Tales of Valor won't make your purchase of CoH Gold null and void. It is an expansion pack...doesn't replace the previous titles.

Also, the content packed into Civ 4 complete package will keep you going for years. Even if Civ 5 would come out in the next 12 months (I don't know how it would) you don't need to pick it up right away. The beauty of PC gaming.

Wired

So so far I've bought Darkstar One and Trials2. Two things about that:

Darkstar One: In the (game specific) forum on Steam someone mentioned that it contained ProtectDisc, in the same breath he called it "Starforce Light"... What the fuck? Had I known I'd have bought the gog version, which I guess I'll have to do now anyways. Fuck you Steam.

Trials2: Holy fuck this runs like shit on "Normal" graphic settings. Disappointing, it doesn't look THAT good.

master sword said:
Anyone else getting errors when attempting to pay via Paypal? Worked fine before in the last few months I purchased from them. I tried switching over to using my credit card but I got an error as well. Looked at the support forums and there're a small number of people with the same problem.

Argh. I'm going to be out of town for the week tomorrow. The sale is gonna end before I make a successful purchase, isn't it. :(
I had a problem, and I just tried placing the order a few times and on the third try it worked.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Okay, think I might pull the trigger here...

Bejeweled Deluxe $0.99
Bioshock $4.99
Civilization IV Complete Pack $24.99
Unreal Deal Pack $19.99
Trials 2 Second Edition $2.49
Titan Quest Gold $14.99
Relic Super Pack $37.49

Total $105.93

anything glaringly missing? (I have all the valve games already, and the id super pack)
anything need to go away?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Htown said:
Okay, think I might pull the trigger here...

Bejeweled Deluxe $0.99
Bioshock $4.99
Civilization IV Complete Pack $24.99
Unreal Deal Pack $19.99
Trials 2 Second Edition $2.49
Titan Quest Gold $14.99
Relic Super Pack $37.49

Total $105.93

anything glaringly missing? (I have all the valve games already, and the id super pack)
anything need to go away?

Peggle + Audiosurf.

Can someone tell me if Jade Empire: Special Edition is worth the 12 bucks?

I have recently finished Mass Effect PC and just purchased The Witcher about an hour ago. Am I going to find Jade Empire disappointing if I jumped right in?

I still find the Civ 4 complete pack and the DOW Platinum package extremely tempting, but my wallet is doing its damned hardest to drag me away from the purchasing page.

rabhw

rhfb said:
I didn't like how simple the combat was in the demo :( Tell me it gets better

To be honest, it doesn't change a whole lot. You do get to implement some spells into combat, which for me usually consisted of doing a pre-cast (to knock enemies down, or light them on fire, etc) and then doing the click-pattern type of fighting. The "depth" comes from selecting where you'd like to put your upgrade points into. Admittedly it's probably the weakest part of the game, but the story and ACTUAL moral choices you are forced to make more than make up for it.

Akia said:

I don't think Relic has talked about this, though I don't follow CoH news as much as I used to. Certainly something has to be playable given that it is standalone.

Nothing confirmed, or even speculated at this point. What on earth would you add? I would expect a revisiting of CivRev sooner than a Civ5, as CivRev is actually a game where there's a lot of room for improvement and refinement.

zer0das

Banned
I caved and got STALKER: Clear Sky. It's about as flawed as the first if not more so... I reached one point where the enemies would hurl infinite grenades and pretty much anything I did I would get mowed down, and there were no npcs to help me because they died in about 3 seconds. :lol

But after about 10 hours it has settled into what feels like STALKER. Except artifact hunting is now a pain. Bandits are still giving me nightmares from having to fight them with such awful equipment for so long early on...

Haden said:
Is Stalker worth a purchase? Just coming off a fallout 3 mammoth game, it looks to have the same kind of atmosphere but its an FPS instead. Is clear sky better or should I get both?

Definitely worth it, although it is a bit sadistic at first. Takes a while to get used to. From what I've played of Clear Sky so far, I think the original is probably better overall (if only because enemies can't spam infinite grenades at you... which usually isn't that much of a problem, but when it is, what a nightmare), but Clear Sky is a lot prettier (I turned down the resolution to just get bare bones lighting and it is still amazingly beautiful). I was quite shocked at how good Clear Sky looked the first time it loaded up... but it was also running at like 5 fps with dynamic lighting on. :lol

Wired said:
Darkstar One: In the (game specific) forum on Steam someone mentioned that it contained ProtectDisc, in the same breath he called it "Starforce Light"... What the fuck? Had I known I'd have bought the gog version, which I guess I'll have to do now anyways. Fuck you Steam.
Hehe. I already had this on steam, but bought it immediatly when it came out on gog.

Akia

I bought: Bioshock and Trials 2: Second Edition for now.

I'm going to take some time and mull over purchasing CoH Gold and Civ4Complete.

ampere

Hasphat6462 said:
Can someone tell me if Jade Empire: Special Edition is worth the 12 bucks?

I have recently finished Mass Effect PC and just purchased The Witcher about an hour ago. Am I going to find Jade Empire disappointing if I jumped right in?

I still find the Civ 4 complete pack and the DOW Platinum package extremely tempting, but my wallet is doing its damned hardest to drag me away from the purchasing page.
To be honest, I didn't like the story in Jade Empire at all. I'm a huge fan of KOTOR1 and Mass Effect though. You're probably going to be set with the Witcher for a good 50 or so hours

ciaossu said:
To be honest, I didn't like the story in Jade Empire at all. I'm a huge fan of KOTOR1 and Mass Effect though. You're probably going to be set with the Witcher for a good 50 or so hours

Very much appreciated.

YYZ

wow Steam is retarded. I made a new account and tried to buy games and they put a stop to any purchases for some reason. My credit card has been used on Steam before too. I tried my mom's card and it doesn't work as well. I've gotten 18 e-mails so far about declines.

WTF are they trying to do?

I guess I have to wait until the weekdays to hear any kind of support ticket response?

YYZ said:
wow Steam is retarded. I made a new account and tried to buy games and they put a stop to any purchases for some reason. My credit card has been used on Steam before too. I tried my mom's card and it doesn't work as well. I've gotten 18 e-mails so far about declines.

I guess I have to wait until the weekdays to hear any kind of support ticket response?

How long have you been trying to purchase? Steam messes up for me every now and again, although, it seems there would be fewer problems if you used a debit card instead. That's usually it for me.

CabbageRed said:
World of Goo and Sam & Max. Space Trader is good fun, especially for the price.
Damn, you made me spend more money. Added Space trader and World of goo to my list, not so sure about Sam and Max

YYZ

Hasphat6462 said:
How long have you been trying to purchase? Steam messes up for me every now and again, although, it seems there would be fewer problems if you used a debit card instead. That's usually it for me.
I dont think I can use that because I'm in Canada.

I've tried PayPal and I get this message:

Your purchase has not been completed.
The payment processor has reported an authorization failure. Please select a different payment method.

YYZ said:
I dont think I can use that because I'm in Canada.

I've tried PayPal and I get this message:

Yeah, that's happened to me a couple of times, although I was always able to complete the purchase later after having waited a few minutes to maybe a couple of hours. Granted, I didn't use PayPal.

Proc

YYZ said:

Have you tried ordering it from the steam website within a browser? I've heard that helps for some people.

Mardil

I just bought Portal, downloading right now. I just got into PC gaming recently, I have been missing on so much with this kind of sales! At first I kind of hated Steam because it's not as stable as, say, xFire, but with this prices what's not to love?

YYZ

Proc said:
Have you tried ordering it from the steam website within a browser? I've heard that helps for some people.
I've tried everything, now all I can do is wait.

Althane

Proc said:

Thanks for the advice.

TF2 is downloading now, I should join up a gaf server just to have everybody laugh at how bad I am. =P

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Mr.City said:
I'm thinking about picking up the Xcom games. What are they like though?

Turn based tactical combat games. Absolutely phenomenal, well the first one is anyways.

Mr.City

This is far too addictive. I just bought Bioshock, the two HL expansions, and the X-com pack. Come payday, I know that I'll get the witcher and maybe the ID pack.

Proc

Mr.City said:
This is far too addictive. I just bought Bioshock, the two HL expansions, and the X-com pack. Come payday, I know that I'll get the witcher and maybe the ID pack.

Let me know your opinion. I'm interested in hearing what someone with fresh eyes thinks of xcom, I've been eyeing the pack as well and have yet to play that series.

*DL and install Witcher Demo*
*Play for about an Hour*
*Having fun, wants to buy it*
*Goes to Steam Store*
*Price - $29.99*
*Closes Steam Store*
*Cries*

bounchfx

so is the witcher really worth it?

I've got a cart with:
Titan Quest Gold
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Ultimate Doom
Doom II

46$ total, witcher being the most expensive then Titan quest for 15.

I've wanted titan quest because it's like diablo and I know I'm gonna want a fix sooner or later in anticipation of Diablo 3, and I keep hearing great things about the witcher even though I just thought the demo was OK. It gets better right? The screens I've seen of it and diverse environments really excite me, I just want some reassurance from people to let me know it really is pretty awesome.

Quake1028

iom4h1.jpg

Plus Peggle Extreme which was free. My computer sucks, so these games are about my limit :lol .

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I am so happy about this sale. I bought audiosurf and I'm absolutely fucking loving it! Dunno why I didn't purchase it earlier but there is nothing like playing this game to the tune of Dave Dee. Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich's "Hold Tight!". Amazing.:D

Twig

Banned
Benghis Khan said:
ok my debit card should be arriving in the mail soon (hopefully before Jan, 2), so I've decided to buy stuff on Steam for the first time, yay. Anyway this is what I've got in my cart:

id super pack $34.95
Valve complete pack $74.95
Unreal deal pack $19.99
Bioshock $4.99 :D
Audiosurf $4.99
Arx Fatalis $4.49
Deus Ex $8.99
Multiwinia + Darwinia $7.49
Painkiller gold edition $7.49
STALKER: clear skies $17.49
Vampire the Masquerade $17.49
Birth of America $4.99
Disciples 2 gold $9.99
Luxor 2 $.99
Reaxxion $.99
Darkstar one $4.99
Culpa innata $4.99
Dark messiah of Might + magic $7.49
Company of Heroes $11.24
Bejewed 2 deluxe $.99
Total: $250.55

I know I've gone crazy:lol but I'm not planning on buying any more PC games until another big sale, and I like having stupidly big backlogs of games to play. Anything else worth buying people, anything on my list not worth getting?
Oh thank fucking god, someone else spent more than me. (Way more!!)

Toby

Mr.City said:
Anyone here who bought the ID pack? It's looking very tempting.

I did. I think it was cheaper when they had the sale on it before, but I couldnt pass it up. Really wanted to play through RTCW again.

Top Bottom