• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale has begun! Update: OVAH.

Sinatar said:
X3 is a hardcore business tycoon game wrapped in a beautiful 3d space sim presentation. The actual space sim part of the game flat out sucks ass, absolutely god fucking awful. If you are looking for the most detailed interactive excel spreadsheet detailing the trading of space rum for space silk, then X3 is your game.
have you played x3 terran conflict btw? it's a bit different to x3 reunion. different interface, looks even better. and the space sim stuff is a lot better, I think.

Fragamemnon said:
So basically, it's the kind of space sim that the Microsoft Excel team would make.

Sounds pretty good! I'll grab it later today.

Just going by other posts of yours that I've read, it is definitely something that you should try. The depth of the economy is staggering at times and it is easy to lose yourself in tweaking a single complex, or setting up automated trade routes, or hiring and 'training' pilots to fly your larger trade ships, etc.

I don't think the combat is all that bad either. Once you have enough money to buy the giant ships that can act as carrier vehicles, its fun to just park in a dangerous section and hammer at pirates in the hopes that they'll bail out, at which point you take control of their craft, and send it back to your carrier to be sold/repaired later. Rinse and repeat.

My only suggestion would be to skip the campaign since it tends to hand you all of the cool stuff for free which makes the economy side less important.

MNC

EviLore said:
Picked up the strategy first pack, the unreal pack, and a few single games.

Now I almost look like I have a press account!

[ig]http://www.abjecthubris.com/images/steamgameslistdec2908.jpg[/img]

I let out a big fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck when seeing that.

RJT

Awesome!

Despite all of the recent missteps (€, credit card issues, cd-keys), Steam is still a great platform. Digital distribution is what will bring PC back into form. Props to Impulse, GOG, and so on.

bee

EviLore said:
Picked up the strategy first pack, the unreal pack, and a few single games.

Now I almost look like I have a press account!

http://www.abjecthubris.com/images/steamgameslistdec2908.jpg

hehe very nice, my list would probably look like that if steams euro prices had been in line with the US ones for the last few years, had/have about 75% of that list myself but all retail games instead. maybe now that they've adjusted them i will have a non piss poor looking steam list soon :p

30ndkiu.png

dock

Sciz said:
Yeah, there's nothing special about the data. Just the old games packed with a copy of DOSBox and a batch file that launches them directly. You can copy the folders to anything. Or edit the batch files to redirect to a source port instead and Steam won't know the difference.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I would like to play this on my mac via Dosbox.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
In for Bioshock and Peggle Extreme. Not too shabby for $10. :p

Now to get a computer that will actually run Bioshock properly, rather than my lappy.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Ok, who's going to be the awesome person to gift BioShock to my coworker before the deal ends? I'll PayPal generously*. PM me if you're the one.

* "generously" being "the game value and the tax so it becomes the right value"

itxaka

Defeatist
Jiguryo said:
Ok, who's going to be the awesome person to gift BioShock to my coworker before the deal ends? I'll PayPal generously*. PM me if you're the one.

* "generously" being "the game value and the tax so it becomes the right value"

If you have paypal why don't you do it yourself?

Anyone?:

Question:

I have Stalker and it run a bit like an ass. Does stalker clear sky run better?

Also, any good point and click adventures? I already bougth runaway 1&2 but want more!

So I started playing Civ4 at 9:30 last night. I didn't stop until 2:30 and that was only because I had work today. Oh my fucking Christ, my life is over. It is beyond awesome. I want to play it right now. Fuckkkkkkkk

itxaka

Defeatist
Jiguryo said:
Regional blocking. We're in Brazil, and since the first price drop, Bioshock is off-limits to us. :\

You can try hotspot shield, it creates a vpn and you show up as in the USA. I used it to get a netflix membership. It's easy as fuck and it works wonders.

http://www.hotspotshield.com/

I think someone in the thread already confirmed that it works and after you buy it there is no need to use it anymore, it downloads the games with no problems.

If it doesn't work or you can't use it, shoot me a pm and I'll do it for you ;)

Hooker

You guys ARE aware that the proxy/VPN track has been used as ground to ban people from Steam.

And you know what banning from Steam means right? No access to any game in your account.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
itxaka said:
You can try hotspot shield, it creates a vpn and you show up as in the USA. I used it to get a netflix membership. It's easy as fuck and it works wonders.

http://www.hotspotshield.com/

I think someone in the thread already confirmed that it works and after you buy it there is no need to use it anymore, it downloads the games with no problems.

If it doesn't work or you can't use it, shoot me a pm and I'll do it for you ;)

Isn't that awesome? It works wonders. Thanks, man :)

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Hooker said:
You guys ARE aware that the proxy/VPN track has been used as ground to ban people from Steam.

And you know what banning from Steam means right? No access to any game in your account.

Phew, thanks for the heads up.

Mr.City

Welp,I just bought the ID pack, Heavy Weapon, and Trials 2. It looks like I'll have to wait until my next paycheck if I want to get PoP and the Witcher. CS:S looks good. Would you say it's worth $10?

Javaman

itxaka said:
If you have paypal why don't you do it yourself?

Anyone?:

For S.T.A.L.K.E.R. there is a fan made patch called "Float32" that supposedly improves the visuals and increases FPS by 20%. I tried it on my installation but ran into some polygon problems when it started raining. I don't know if it was related to the Float32 install (which is kind of clunky if you read the readme) or a prior problem with the game since I hadn't seen any rain before putting the patch on. There's more about it in the older gaf threads about stalker.

Also, curse you Volcano and Steam for those deal-e-os.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hooker said:

If that's the case, then create a new account and gift the game to yourself.

Mr.City said:
Welp,I just bought the ID pack, Heavy Weapon, and Trials 2. It looks like I'll have to wait until my next paycheck if I want to get PoP and the Witcher. CS:S looks good. Would you say it's worth $10?

If you don't play CS 1.6, then definitely.

itxaka

Defeatist
Javaman said:
For S.T.A.L.K.E.R. there is a fan made patch called "Float32" that supposedly improves the visuals and increases FPS by 20%. I tried it on my installation but ran into some polygon problems when it started raining. I don't know if it was related to the Float32 install (which is kind of clunky if you read the readme) or a prior problem with the game since I hadn't seen any rain before putting the patch on. There's more about it in the older gaf threads about stalker.

Also, curse you Volcano and Steam for those deal-e-os.

I have the float32 mod installed but I didn't notice anything, still runs like crap, but it's so awesome at the same time :D

Saerk

RJT said:
The Orange Box doesn't include CS Source. It's on sale though, for 10$ (bought it myself). OB is worth it for HL2 and Portal, so buy it and CS.

What...damnit, I thought H2 came with the mods like the original one did. I guess not. Looks like I'll be budgeting in CS:S then.

itxaka said:
I have the float32 mod installed but I didn't notice anything, still runs like crap, but it's so awesome at the same time :D
yeah, I've never noticed any improved performance with float32 either. the game certainly looks a lot better with it though.

Volcynika

My brother spent over $100 on deals like this. Also, a very :lol post on the Steam forums I saw:

Steam really should have some sort of sobriety test included before a purchase. I was going probably going to get BioShock and COD4 after I got STALKER:CS a couple of days ago anyway. But after a couple of beers and having click and buy as well as PayPal registered on my account it becomes far too easy to buy a game.

:lol

CajoleJuice said:
How does World in Conflict scale? CoH runs OK on my laptop, but I've heard it's not exactly the most optimized game out there.
only played for a little bit, but it actually seemed to run better than CoH for me.
Also, :lol at EvilLore's account. jesus.

MaritalWheat said:
only played for a little bit, but it actually seemed to run better than CoH for me.
That's nice to hear. I keep forgetting I can just download demos to check games out. The last time I was really into PC gaming was 5 years ago or so and I still had 56k. I'll d/l the demo when I get home and will probably end up buying it and Trackmania soon after.

Saerk

What is the better strategy game, Company of Heroes or Warhammer Dawn of War? I'm looking at single player game.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Probably a stupid question, but is it possible to have more than one login name for a particular account? I'm going to be picking up some games in this sale that my wife will be wanting to play, but I don't want it to look like I'm online to my friends list every time she fires up Luxor 2.

Akia

AAHHHH.

Stop buying and posting your happy experiences. You guys are making me want to buy more. I think I have to stay away from reading this thread until Jan 3.

Saerk said:
What is the better strategy game, Company of Heroes or Warhammer Dawn of War? I'm looking at single player game.
I haven't played DoW, but I would say get CoH if only because DoWII is coming out this upcoming year.

Xapati

Saerk said:

Do you mean campaign or single player in general? The original Dawn of War has a pretty solid campaign, the first expansion has a solid but really really short campaign and the last expansion has a pretty aweful campaign.
If you're looking for comp-stomps though, the AI mod and map pack to which I posted a link a while back is very good and make playing normal matches against the computer a lot of fun.

Monroeski said:
Probably a stupid question, but is it possible to have more than one login name for a particular account? I'm going to be picking up some games in this sale that my wife will be wanting to play, but I don't want it to look like I'm online to my friends list every time she fires up Luxor 2.

If you start the game via it's own start menu icon/shortcut (created during the download/install process) does it still log you in to steam even though you haven't loaded the client?

Jiguryo said:
Regional blocking. We're in Brazil, and since the first price drop, Bioshock is off-limits to us. :\

I am in Brazil too and I bought Bioshock. Just use a free VPN service to buy the game and start the installation. After that you can logout, and restart steam without the VPN.

I have used www.vpnmart.com trial (1 day, disconnect every 10 minutes). Worked great.

There are other games blocked here as well, X-com games, The Witcher, etc. All can be purchase with a VPN.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
If you start the game via it's own start menu icon/shortcut (created during the download/install process) does it still log you in to steam even though you haven't loaded the client?

Yes, steam starts as soon as you start a steam game.

Saerk said:
Company of Heroes. It builds on DoW's gameplay and the gold version has a pretty meaty amount of SP stuff. OTOH, DoW has more content, and the 2nd expansion (not the last one) gives you a TW:Shogun-esque metagame, so you'll have a SP "campaign" (albeit not as good as a standard structured one) for all... 7 sides, letting you try them all. It's just that DoW generally isn't as good as CoH (although it's still very good).

I'd also agree with the notion of CoH now and DoW2 next year.

Hooker said:

Have you any proof of this statement? How they can track a VPN?

Besides it would be illegal to block your access to legit payed games (maybe the ones bought through a VPN, but still a long shot, since your money pass to their hands). Valve would be in much trouble if they start banning complete accounts.

rezuth

Saerk said:
What...damnit, I thought H2 came with the mods like the original one did. I guess not. Looks like I'll be budgeting in CS:S then.
Are you calling Counter-Strike: Source a mod?

Remy

Chiaroscuro said:
Have you any proof of this statement? How they can track a VPN?

A VPN generally works by routing your traffic through another IP. I don't think it would be terribly hard for Valve to figure out what a VPN block looks like.

Besides it would be illegal to block your access to legit payed games (maybe the ones bought through a VPN, but still a long shot, since your money pass to their hands). Valve would be in much trouble if they start banning complete accounts.

Read your subscriber agreement.

You become a subscriber of Steam ("Subscriber") by installing the Steam client software and completing the Steam registration. Additionally, as a Subscriber you may obtain access to certain services, software and content ("Subscriptions") available to Subscribers. Conclusion of this contract between Valve and you takes place as soon as you access the Steam service after accepting this Agreement.

Valve hereby grants, and you accept, a limited, terminable, non-exclusive license and right to use the Steam Software for your personal use in accordance with this Agreement and the Subscription Terms. The Steam Software is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Steam Software.

Either you or Valve has the right to terminate or cancel your Account or a particular Subscription at any time. You understand and agree that the cancellation of your Account or a particular Subscription is your sole right and remedy with respect to any dispute with Valve.

In the case of a one-time purchase of a product license (e.g., purchase of a single game) from Valve, Valve may choose to terminate or cancel your Subscription in its entirety or may terminate or cancel only a portion of the Subscription (e.g., access to the software via Steam) and Valve may, but is not obligated to, provide access (for a limited period of time) to the download of a stand-alone version of the software and content associated with such one-time purchase.

You think Valve would run this service for this long without having worked out the legal logistics for terminating the accounts of people who abuse Steam?

Javaman

itxaka said:

Did you change the STALKER config file/s based on the float32 readme? It might be necessary with the steam install.

TheExodu5

Banned
Remy said:
You think Valve would run this service for this long without having worked out the legal logistics for terminating the accounts of people who abuse Steam?

Then again, do we have any evidence of being being banned for VPN use? It seems unlikely that Valve would want to alienate a paying customer.

Anyways, the original workaround still stands: create a 2nd account, log into it with the VPN, gift the game to your main account, log into your main account without VPN.

edit:

DarkLord, I don't think BG&E works on Vista, so be wary if you don't have XP.

Thomper

TheExodu5 said:
Then again, do we have any evidence of being being banned for VPN use? It seems unlikely that Valve would want to alienate a paying customer.

Anyways, the original workaround still stands: create a 2nd account, log into it with the VPN, gift the game to your main account, log into your main account without VPN.

edit:

DarkLord, I don't think BG&E works on Vista, so be wary if you don't have XP.
I have Vista, and I have BG&E on Vista. Works perfectly fine.

TheExodu5

Banned
Thomper said:
I have Vista, and I have BG&E on Vista. Works perfectly fine.

Ok then it doesn't work with the 8800GT? I can't get it to play right without it either: running incredibly fast, stuttering (if I change compatibility options). I remember reading on the Steam boards for the game that this was the case on Vista, at least with the 8800GT.

I don't know why but even when i own the game already i'm compelled to buy it again on steam. I almost did it with Witcher : EE :lol

Here's my haul:

Painkiller Gold Edition
Civilization IV Complete Pack
World of Goo
Luxor 2
Reaxxion
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
Peggle Deluxe
------------------------------------------
Total 63.43 USD

Is Silent Hill Homecoming worth the $25? Is it a good game and does it control well with keyboard and mouse? (asking because I tried playing Silent Hill 3 on GameTap early this year and hated the keyboard controls for it)

crimsonheadGCN said:
Is Silent Hill Homecoming worth the $25? Is it a good game and does it control well with keyboard and mouse? (asking because I tried playing Silent Hill 3 on GameTap early this year and hated the keyboard controls for it)

I've played through it on PS3 numerous times and I think the keyboard/mouse controls actually work very very well. The game has more fluid controls than the last iterations and is more suited for K/M, IMO. It's a really good horror game too, one of the best out right now if you ask me. Atmosphere and music is great and the story is pretty good too. Worth $25? In my mind, absolutely. But then again, look at my avatar. :lol

Top Bottom