• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale has begun! Update: OVAH.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck i need 50 cents in order to gift a game to myself using the hotspot shield trick. Anyone knows where can i earn 50 cents and send them into my paypal account? Hopefully a place that doesn't require phone verification (i already got screwed that way).

PatzCU

Damn! I think I'm going to have to go in on the Dawn of War pack. I've always wanted to play these. Is there still an online community? Will I have to buy the Soulstorm package or can I just grab the pre-soulstorm stuff?

aznpxdd

PatzCU said:
Damn! I think I'm going to have to go in on the Dawn of War pack. I've always wanted to play these. Is there still an online community? Will I have to buy the Soulstorm package or can I just grab the pre-soulstorm stuff?

Nah, I think you can just pick up the DoW Gold with Dark Crusade.

Volcynika

Hm, haven't played original Stalker much, so I'm iffy about Clear Sky...but

So far on my list:

World of Goo
Stalker: CS
Aquaria (maybe)
Opposing Force & Blue Shift
Bejeweled Deluxe
Peggle Deluxe

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Proc

I can't believe I'm shoving id super pack aside. I was the biggest id fan back in the day. I think its mainly because there are so many other good games I haven't even owned yet thats dissuading me from re-buying those games. I also still have working cds for the quake series. I'd have to go hunting for my doom discs but I have doom already on xbl.

Maybe I'll just buy doom2 for a legal .wad. Decisions, decisions.

Volcynika

Proc said:
I can't believe I'm shoving id super pack aside. I was the biggest id fan back in the day. I think its mainly because there are so many other good games I haven't even owned yet thats dissuading me from re-buying those games. I also still have working cds for the quake series. I'd have to go hunting for my doom discs but I have doom already on xbl.

Maybe I'll just buy doom2 for a legal .wad. Decisions, decisions.

Doom 2 is 99 cents. Not a hard decision! :p

FatalT

Banned
Volcynika said:
Hm, haven't played original Stalker much, so I'm iffy about Clear Sky...but

So far on my list:

World of Goo
Stalker: CS
Aquaria (maybe)
Opposing Force & Blue Shift
Bejeweled Deluxe
Peggle Deluxe

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Aquaria is excellent. I definitely recommend you pick it up if you're on the fence about it.

Anybody have ideas to why the demo of Bioshock wouldnt work on my Vista 32 bit rig?
It worked before, but now it gives me an error saying Bioshock.exe can't run or something, but I cant think of anything that's changed.
If the demo has a problem i'd hate to think of spending the money on it and it not working >.<

Proc

xKilltheMx said:
Anybody have ideas to why the demo of Bioshock wouldnt work on my Vista 32 bit rig?
It worked before, but now it gives me an error saying Bioshock.exe can't run or something, but I cant think of anything that's changed.
If the demo has a problem i'd hate to think of spending the money on it and it not working >.<

-dumb suggestion but have you tried running steam/bioshock.exe in admin mode?

Volcynika

xKilltheMx said:

Not sure, but BioShock was my first new game on my 32bit Vista rig and it ran fine.

Volcynika

Mr.City said:
Why is Doom 3 asking for a CD key?

I heard it's a weird quirk, but if you got the expansion, start that up, then go back and try to start Doom 3 again, it shouldn't ask you again. (I forget though)

Proc said:
-dumb suggestion but have you tried running steam/bioshock.exe in admin mode?

Admin Mode? You mean having administrative rights? It should already.

This is the screen I get when trying to run it.
ibdezq.jpg

Proc

Do I need to buy world of goo?

$15 seems a bit steep in respect to the rest of the deals on here. *downloads demo now.

YYZ

anyone mind adding me to their friends list and gifting me Bejeweled Deluxe for $1?

I would not ask but Steam is pissing me off with their credit card denial. I had gotten it to work by using my old account and gifting it to my new one, but now my CC doesn't work on either account. I forgot to purchase Bejeweled Deluxe in my big purchase of over $120.

steam: yyzedd
nickname: yyzedd

I'll be back at the end of the day to accept any requests, thank you.

Proc

Fuck it, I'm going with the super pack. I never got the quake expansions so those might be neat to give a go at. This is my final purchase from steam for this sale (I swears it) so try not to tempt me with any more lol. >$40 to have all my childhood favourites in a simple client is definitely worth it the more I think about it (especially to have on the go with my laptop for when I'm bored somewhere).

Aside from uplink (a game that really surprised me, hacking is fun heh), I tried to go for the games that had the biggest sales and probably won't reach those prices for quite some time. I feel strangely obliged to support stalker as my grandparents were originally from the Ukraine, and last time I checked Ukraine's economy aint so hot lol.

So many games for about the price of a couple console games. Nice haul, nice haul indeed. Merry Christmas to me.

15pmy5v.jpg

o763xi.jpg

Proc

bran said:
No Beyond Good and Evil and no Dreamfall

Fail!

lol, those only have a couple dollars of savings. I don't mind paying full price for those when I get some more monies.

Proc said:
I can't believe I'm shoving id super pack aside.

I had it in my cart for a while the other day and eventually decided that, although it IS a great deal, the truth is that I would probably not actually ever play the vast majority of those games for more than a few minutes each. I grabbed Doom and Doom II for .99 so I can get rid of my physical versions and called it a day.

Truespeed

Picked up the following:

Unreal Tournament 3
Bioshock
Race 07
Trials 2
Luxor 2
Bejeweled Deluxe
Heavy Weapon Deluxe

BTW, Bioshock requires a Shader Model 3 capable video card. If your card is only SM 2 compliant, go to Shadershock to apply a patch to make it work. As for 2K Games not including the SM 2 files - Come on, man.

Yikes... Spore and the RRTC series bought. Since I already own RRTC (many times over I suspect) I think someone might need to drag me away from my computer until the sale is over. On a postive note, if GoG ever gets Baldur's Gate II, I'll have all of my "install on every fresh Windows installation" games on DD services. No more cracks!

crimsonheadGCN said:
Is Silent Hill Homecoming worth the $25? Is it a good game and does it control well with keyboard and mouse? (asking because I tried playing Silent Hill 3 on GameTap early this year and hated the keyboard controls for it)

I don't have it but it's supposedly a pretty buggy port. Read the Steam forums for the game.

Mrbob

Even though I haven't picked it up yet myself (probably will), one of the gems on sale right now is Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 platinum. Get the original game plus both expansions for $22.49 on sale. RCT2 was one of my most played games back in the day, and it sounds like RCT3 holds up the tradition. I was dabbling with the game at a friends place the other day, and the 3D cam for the coasters is awesome. Having said this, the 3d cam can really bog down the frame rate if you have a full park.

All this talk about Company of Heroes and Dawn of War has me really wanting to buy one (or both of them)--despite the fact that I really really really suck at RTSs. I couldn't even finish the demo of CoH. And I haven't really played one since Starcraft years ago.

Should I bite anyway?

RJT

faceless007 said:
All this talk about Company of Heroes and Dawn of War has me really wanting to buy one (or both of them)--despite the fact that I really really really suck at RTSs. I couldn't even finish the demo of CoH. And I haven't really played one since Starcraft years ago.

Should I bite anyway?
Yes. Company of Heroes is great, and because of the presentation I think is a great introduction to the genre. It's not too complicated either. You don't need to micromanage.

Proc said:
Do I need to buy world of goo?

$15 seems a bit steep in respect to the rest of the deals on here. *downloads demo now.
Definitely worth the price as far as I'm concerned. It's a great game to always kind of have in the background--I didn't blaze through it, I just beat a few levels here and there, and it's lasted me quite a while and it's always really fresh and clever. There are plenty of new mechanics and types of goo introduced throughout the game, so don't assume it's just the demo times 20 or whatever.

FatalT

Banned
Oh man Mount & Blade got so awesome to me after I started recruiting people in towns. I've got a little mini army of 30 people going on now at level 7. :D

Shanks

Question about Civilization 4. Are they planning a sort of Civ 4:complete like 3 where they integrate all the expansions into one game? If I bought them all now are they all integrated into eachother or what? This is mostly my oc side speaking...

Fio

FatalT said:
Oh man Mount & Blade got so awesome to me after I started recruiting people in towns. I've got a little mini army of 30 people going on now at level 7. :D

That's amazing.

I can't wait until I make a gigantic army and start harassing pretty much everybody in the game. :lol

Seriously GAF, at least try the demo. Very fun game.

Tendo

I'm still tempted on Grid even though the sale isn't that great. It looks gorgeous and I'm in the market for a new "real" racer.

Shanks said:
Question about Civilization 4. Are they planning a sort of Civ 4:complete like 3 where they integrate all the expansions into one game? If I bought them all now are they all integrated into eachother or what? This is mostly my oc side speaking...

This?

Proc

id superpack is made of win so far. I'm impressed they give you options for a lot of the games (i.e. running in gl quake mode). I'm way too excited about my purchases. I should never have this many games to play lol.

tenritsu

Banned
What's going on?! I have 5.19 in my paypal account, yet when I try to buy Bioshock it asks for me to link to a debit/credit card?! What's going on? When I bought audiosurf it let me just pay for my account.

I just updated the account to that amount... could that be the reason why?

faceless007 said:
I don't have it but it's supposedly a pretty buggy port. Read the Steam forums for the game.

I read it and it doesn't look too good now. I guess I can wait on that till it's fixed and a bit cheaper.

EazyB

Banned
Mrbob said:
Even though I haven't picked it up yet myself (probably will), one of the gems on sale right now is Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 platinum. Get the original game plus both expansions for $22.49 on sale. RCT2 was one of my most played games back in the day, and it sounds like RCT3 holds up the tradition. I was dabbling with the game at a friends place the other day, and the 3D cam for the coasters is awesome. Having said this, the 3d cam can really bog down the frame rate if you have a full park.
I loved RCT2 but I'm not sure if the move to 3D was good so I'm wary about the third game. I really wish they had RCT2 on there, I lost my disk and I'd repurchase it in a heartbeat.

Proc

Daigoro said:
shit, that is so tempting me right now.

i still havent spent a dime on this holiday sale. m definately going to get Sega Rally though.

and im higly interested in that Civ4 pack.

Really can't go wrong at $27.

EazyB said:
I loved RCT2 but I'm not sure if the move to 3D was good so I'm wary about the third game. I really wish they had RCT2 on there, I lost my disk and I'd repurchase it in a heartbeat.

I was very impressed with how well the coaster builder translated into 3D and played it to death. My early impressions of the demo when it first come out were lukewarm so it is possible patches or the expansions tweaked the game enough to make it feel like a 'real' RCT game.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
The good thing is while downloading L4D my Trials 2 demo is updating. I just hope steam does a summer sale or a sale similar to this next year so i can pick up things i couldn't afford but wanted.

EazyB

Banned
CabbageRed said:
I was very impressed with how well the coaster builder translated into 3D and played it to death. My early impressions of the demo when it first come out were lukewarm so it is possible patches or the expansions tweaked the game enough to make it feel like a 'real' RCT game.
I went ahead and bought it anyways.

...along with the id pack

Oh Steam :lol

zer0das

Banned
Man, Clear Sky was really, really disappointing. I was just starting to get into it, and then I get into one of those stupid "points of no return" which was part of a long series of quests, so it was even more abrupt than SoC's point of no return. I made it to the end anyways, but the ending is bugged for some reason. Oh yeah, and completely lame even if it wasn't.

Ugh.

Edit: Also, it takes way too many bandages to stop bleeding. Like 2-5? What!?!? I suspect this may have been a bug though, because abruptly near the end it started stopping on itself or taking only one despite the bleeding being quite high.

Top Bottom