• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale has begun! Update: OVAH.

Truespeed said:
As a
armchair
Formula 1 driver, I can say that this is one of the best racing sims out there. But then, if you have to hesitate about buying it then you probably shouldn't. The demo would have convinced you outright.

Haven't tried the demo yet, since the demo is still slowly downloading. :\

Just trying to get some impressions about it to see if it's worth finishing the demo dl heh.

sikkinixx

I just snagged Doom Ultimate, Doom II, and L4D for $39. Conversion to cdn will kinda suck but whatever, it will go well with my new headset.

Proc

sikkinixx said:
I just snagged Doom Ultimate, Doom II, and L4D for $39. Conversion to cdn will kinda suck but whatever, it will go well with my new headset.

It's really not bad if you take into account that there is no sales tax.

On another note, I installed my iD bundle last night and was totally blown away by how much fun I was having. Every game I tried still held up oh so well. I played a couple hours worth of quake 3 and was quickly reminded of how little progress online shooters really have come. Quake 3 is a great experience online, if only they patched in voice chat. It has me tempted to grab the unreal pack once steam gets more cd keys.

Mindless shooters are great fun. I was blasting some metal (Trivium mainly) while kicking ass and sorta drunk; great fuckin times lol. Oh and its also a great pleasure to max out quake 2 with all its bells and whistles. I wasn't nearly as fortunate back in the day to see that game look as good as it does now.

They've done a great job with the package so far. I'm hesitant to retry doom 3 because I never really got into it.

I bought the ID super pack yesterday for $34.99, but they charged my card twice for that amount! WTF! I submitted a billing problem ticket but just wondering if anyone else has had this happen? The dollar they debit for was refunded, but I still have 2 seperate charges for $34.99 from valve. =(

Daigoro

ah fuck. the launcher app for Sega Rally Revo is borked with XP. cant get the game to start.

i doubt anyone here knows a way around this?

i read on some random forum that if i download the demo and replace the demo launcher with the one that came with Steam that it will work. im trying that, but im not optimistic.

when i tried to goggle the problem, the second hit came up as my original post about Sega Rally in this thread. :/

Kawaii

dLMN8R said:
If you get this problem, you need to disable multi-core processing for this game.

Start the game, open task manager, right-click the game process, click "Set affinity", and deselect all cores but 1.

Thanks, that worked!

Also thanks clip!

Baha

Dunno if you guys can help me but my bro bought civ3 complete and it won't run on his vista laptop. It keeps crashing whenever he tries loading it.

xbhaskarx

Well these crazy deals got me to sign up for Steam.
I haven't played a PC game since Civ 4. :lol

Baha said:
Dunno if you guys can help me but my bro bought civ3 complete and it won't run on his vista laptop. It keeps crashing whenever he tries loading it.

I have a laptop with Vista, are some of these games not going to work?
I just remembered why I dislike PC gaming...

Truespeed

Daigoro said:
ah fuck. the launcher app for Sega Rally Revo is borked with XP. cant get the game to start.

i doubt anyone here knows a way around this?

i read on some random forum that if i download the demo and replace the demo launcher with the one that came with Steam that it will work. im trying that, but im not optimistic.

when i tried to goggle the problem, the second hit came up as my original post about Sega Rally in this thread. :/

You bought the game, right? So you have the registration key I assume. So I think you know where I'm going with this...

PatzCU

Proc said:

On another note, I installed my iD bundle last night and was totally blown away by how much fun I was having. Every game I tried still held up oh so well. I played a couple hours worth of quake 3 and was quickly reminded of how little progress online shooters really have come. Quake 3 is a great experience online, if only they patched in voice chat. It has me tempted to grab the unreal pack once steam gets more cd keys.

Mindless shooters are great fun. I was blasting some metal (Trivium mainly) while kicking ass and sorta drunk; great fuckin times lol. Oh and its also a great pleasure to max out quake 2 with all its bells and whistles. I wasn't nearly as fortunate back in the day to see that game look as good as it does now.

They've done a great job with the package so far. I'm hesitant to retry doom 3 because I never really got into it.

Are you able to throw them into widescreen resolutions?

zbarron

Monroeski said:
If GAF is screwing me on World of Goo and Aquaria there will be blood.
If Aquaria came out in 2008 it would be my game of the year. Also go to Bit Blot's website and download the demo if you're not sure. It's a pretty lengthy demo.

Here is a link for all of you lazy people. http://www.bit-blot.com/aquaria/demo.html The demo's saves do not carry over to the Steam Release, though a little cutting and pasting might do the trick.

Does anyone know if Everyday Shooter supports 1680x1050?

Proc

PatzCU said:
Are you able to throw them into widescreen resolutions?

some of the later games (q3 and on) support a wide screen resolution that is very low res. This could mean that you could go into the console and change the res to something higher while maintaining widescreen aspect ration. I haven't bothered investigating it further though tbh, 4:3 looks great on my widescreen setup regardless. You lose a bit of picture, but at least it's not a deformed image. The games looks great at 1600x1200 if your monitor supports it.

Proc

via: http://quake.freakygaming.com/pc/action/quake_3/tutorials/running_quake_3_in_widescreen.html
Select widescreen resolution
If Quake 3 doesn't list your widescreen resolution you can try to set it manually like this:
r_mode -1 - custom resolutions on
r_customwidth 1280 - custom screen width
r_customheight 720 - custom screen height

Set a width and height matching the aspect ratio you have. Here are some examples of resolutions (Width x Height):

852x480 16:9 Widescreen
1280x720 16:9 Widescreen
1365x768 16:9 Widescreen
1440x900 16:10 Widescreen
1680x1050 16:10 Widescreen
1920x1200 16:10 Widescreen
320x240 4:3 Aspect ratio
2048x1535 4:3 Aspect ratio

so yep, q3 offers widescreen, as does rtcw, doom3 and all the expansions

edit: looks like quake 2 does as well, i'll try that one for myself in a bit: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Quake_II

Xapati

Wow, Ubi didn't put much effort into porting BG&E. You can't even use the mouse in the menus. Btw. how do you save in this game?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Proc said:

Man don't tell me that. The only main reason i was considering buying the id super pack was because of the Quakes. I wish THEY were .99 instead of the Dooms :(

I bought CoH Gold and I'm trying to launch Opposing Fronts tonight and it shows the "Preparing to Launch..." screen and then it disappears and it doesn't launch. Can anyone help me out? All my other games launch perfectly.

PatzCU

CrookedRain said:
It looks like they got more keys for the Unreal stuff. It all seems to be back up now.

Does Unreal still have an online community? Just curious because I would consider buying some of the later ones if there were still people to play with.

FatBaby

Xapati said:
Wow, Ubi didn't put much effort into porting BG&E. You can't even use the mouse in the menus. Btw. how do you save in this game?

You need to get to a disc reader and put the save disc in.

FatBaby

Domino Theory said:
So how does Steam gifting work? Cuz if someone would let me know and if BioShock is still $5, I'd gladly gift 4 copies. :)

Pretty much just put the item in your cart and pick "Purchase as gift." Then you either send it to an e-mail or to a person already using Steam, and then just go through the normal checkout process.

Pretty easy really.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I haven't spent a single cent so far, YES!

Although i may go through the entire thing tonight and start spending my money :( .

Bioshock seems to be the #1 thing to get since it converts out to about AUD $7 which sure as hell aint bad.

I just dont think i have the download allowance to grab it and every other game i might end up buying. Shitty aussie isps. And lazy valve for not updating the content servers with actual content. I can get some games as free quota, however i have no idea what those games are, It's all upto valve.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
striKeVillain! said:
I bought CoH Gold and I'm trying to launch Opposing Fronts tonight and it shows the "Preparing to Launch..." screen and then it disappears and it doesn't launch. Can anyone help me out? All my other games launch perfectly.

Forgive me if i'm being too obvious but did you download them and let them install?

Has anyone ever tried Universe at War: Earth Assault? It seems like a solid game but I've heard next to nothing about it outside of a smattering of reviews.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
CabbageRed said:
Has anyone ever tried Universe at War: Earth Assault? It seems like a solid game but I've heard next to nothing about it outside of a smattering of reviews.

Yea it's quite good. Has some of the most unique factions I've ever seen in an RTS, and I've played most of em.

neight

Banned
I can't believe they went the MP-only route with Multiwinia. I'm glad I got that in a pack with Darwinia for $7 so it was basically free. It's an okay game but I hope we get a proper sequel to Darwinia.

Domino Theory said:
So how does Steam gifting work? Cuz if someone would let me know and if BioShock is still $5, I'd gladly gift 4 copies. :)

Its usually best to add your gift recipient through the Steam community first as then you can send it through the Steam interface itself rather than messing on with emails. And, hey, if you're feeling generous my steam id is ukbrainstew, been trying for days to pick up Bioshock and a few others but the thing won't take my damn credit card for some reason.

I went crazy with Steam gifts to my brother this Christmas, and its really a nice and simple process, you even get to send a little gift message which is nice.

neight said:
I can't believe they went the MP-only route with Multiwinia. I'm glad I got that in a pack with Darwinia for $7 so it was basically free. It's an okay game but I hope we get a proper sequel to Darwinia.

I'm no good with multiplayer RTS, so I tend just to play single player by myself on mormal or easy settings, would you say just buying Darwinia on its own is the way to go then?

If I can finally get my card sorted I think I'll gift a couple of copies of Doom/Doom 2 as they're still such great titles that are great fun today. Been playing then on a netbook using Doom Legacy and they look/play great.

Korranator said:
So how is Everyday Shooter?

I enjoyed Geo Wars.
It's amazing. It's very different to Geometry Wars, though, in a lot of ways. The presentation is amazing and really absorbing, but it doesn't have that same arcade compulsion that Geometry Wars has. It's just a different kind of thing, but I ended up playing it way more. I bought it both on PSN and Steam because I loved it so much.

Sinatar said:
Yea it's quite good. Has some of the most unique factions I've ever seen in an RTS, and I've played most of em.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.

brain_stew said:
I'm no good with multiplayer RTS, so I tend just to play single player by myself on mormal or easy settings, would you say just buying Darwinia on its own is the way to go then?

If you are up for it, I'd grab Darwinia and Uplink together as both are excellent.

Anyway... So today is:

Universe at War
Left 4 Dead
Assassin's Creed
Defence Grid

Plus a handfull of casual games over the past few days for a friend. My monies... :( Plus Sega Revo is still eyeing with me from across the storefront, all moderately attractive but cheap.

Bluth54

psy18 said:
Ghost Master 2.5$
Yay? Nay?

edit: why the hell am I thinking? bought.
Good decision. Ghost Master is a great game. For $2.50 I'm buying it again just because downloading it on Steam is easier then finding my boxed copy.

Twig

Banned
I want Aquaria but with all the other (superior value) deals going on right now, I'm holding off on it. And World of Goo.

Proc

Spectral Glider said:
Alright, WTF is up with Steam? Every time I go to finish my purchase I get "an unexpected error occurred." Frustrating.

Try using paypal. Worked great when it was giving me cc errors.

dani_dc

evlcookie said:
I haven't spent a single cent so far, YES!

Although i may go through the entire thing tonight and start spending my money :( .

Bioshock seems to be the #1 thing to get since it converts out to about AUD $7 which sure as hell aint bad.

I just dont think i have the download allowance to grab it and every other game i might end up buying. Shitty aussie isps. And lazy valve for not updating the content servers with actual content. I can get some games as free quota, however i have no idea what those games are, It's all upto valve.

You don't have to download the games right away.
Buy the games now, download them later.

Top Bottom