• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Oh, ok then. Now I feel better. What online features does DS have?

A lot of the online stuff is flavor.

Users can leave messages on the ground that are little hints to guide you through. Stuff like "Amazing Chest Head" "Try Rear" and "Try Jumping".

When people die, they sometimes leave bloodstains. You can touch their bloodstain and it shows you how they died.

When you're walking around you may see a translucent phantom which is another player who's in the same area as you. You don't interact, it just lets you know someone, somewhere, is right where you are right now too.

If someone in their game beats one of the bosses and rings a bell, you can hear a bell start ringing in your game.

If someone upgrades the same bonfire you're at, you might get an extra health potion (estus flask.)

There's a bunch of stuff like that.

But on top of that is the actual online PVP and co-op.

You can summon people into your world to help you fight bosses and enemies, and if you make yourself eligible to summon others (you do this by turning human) then you also make yourself eligible to be invaded by others.

This is other people playing them game invading your world and trying their hardest to get to you and kill you.

The online is a really cool part of the game, but it's not required or essential.

Okay now GFWL is working. The game's running fine, it just feels...chuggy? sluggish, even when DSFix is in...?

enable 60fps
somehow unlocking the framerate also provides better performance (even if you lock it to 30 afterwards in the ini)
just don't slide on a ladder when you're not locked at 30fps (you can disable the framerate unlocker with back by default)
if you use back or whatever key you use to disable the unlocker in steamchat or gfwl it will disable it in game so if you suddenly get a shitty framerate try the key

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I have a quick question about Trials Evolution: is the framerate still a complete nightmare on some computers?

I remember trying it on my pc using the account of a friend who wanted to show me the game, and it was absolutely unplayable (which sucks, because I loved the first game).

You have to enable 60fps in the dsfix.ini or else the game is locked at 30.

Some people have posted and said it still is not very well optimized, even on beefy rigs.

It's really weird but here's a tip from me.

I have a 1080p monitor.

When I play at 1080p it's really framey and sort of stuttery.

When I set the resolution to 1440p it not only clears up any aliasing I have, but I also get a perfect 60fps.

So, if your framerate is weird, I'd recommend changing the resolution and then if need be, changing it back to your native res. It should relieve some framerate dips.

enable 60fps
somehow unlocking the framerate also provides better performance (even if you lock it to 30 afterwards in the ini)
By default, Dark Souls will only use V-syncable resolutions. So it'll jump from 30 to 15 with no room inbetween. If you're capable of rendering at 29fps, it'll render at 15fps.

With DSFix, it allows any framerate you choose. So if you set it to 60fps it can use anything between 0fps and 60fps. By default, Dark Souls only uses 30, 15, 10, etc etc.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Thank you very much Rhaknar. I won X-com
3AQmK.gif

did the key work? it had a weird format, I dont think the XCOM: part is supposed to be part of the key, but thats how GMG sent it. if it doesnt work, try removing the XCOM: part, let me know

Also, winners of Guacamelee, Van Helsing, Hotline Miami, Wargame and The Cave please PM me so I can give you the correct links :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Warlock -- MB-17E4C858EEB12421 - Taken by MrKaepora. 5 entrants total.
McPixel -- MB-1BEEDFC4C34C5B1A - Taken by slayzz. 4 entrants total.
Bastion -- MB-7723630A8AD76B63 - Taken by akskiller. 1 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-54755934BAAF85AD - Taken by Deadstar. 5 entrants total.
Trine 2 Complete -- MB-25B4EF254FF362E1 - Taken by someguyinahat. 8 entrants total.
The Showdown Effect -- MB-0F1255707B0F2991 - Taken by Waku. 3 entrants total.
Limbo -- MB-520E9F11BC9B0475 - Taken by MisterLuffy. 7 entrants total.
FTL -- MB-D0E5D3F025FF9034 - Taken by confuziz. 12 entrants total.
Europa Universalis 3 Complete -- MB-9CFBA72231342E90 - Taken by Thorgal. 6 entrants total.

t1388087580z1.png

Enjoy.

It's one of the best games ever made, I'M SO SO SORRY YOU BOUGHT SUCH AN AMAZING GAME.
I probably wouldn't play it even if someone gifted it to me. I asked my nephew if he'd ever played it and he just laughed and said "I don't think I can consider dying over and over again as playing"

Turned me off pretty quick.

Chocobro

Aw, I just checked the community vote, Guacamelee didn't win :T I wanted it
From the looks of it, Splelunky is the way to go? Wish it had online multiplayer so I can play with my cousin.

The_Monk

I'll have to catch on the news later on, going out for a bit and I'll be back later on. Hoping Steam to be less slow later on too, I've been getting some issues!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone interested in Lost Planet 3 I wrote a bit about why I liked it so much in another thread. I'm not going to shout 'must buy' as quite frankly you could play it and absolutely despise it but this is just from someone who likes it.

Yeah, the thing that surprised me out of all of this was how much I loved Lost Planet 3. I'll try and explain why to the best of my ability (I apologise in advance as I'm not a good writer)

Anyway the big thing for Lost Planet 3 is that it takes a much more storytelling approach at its core. The main writer of LP3 being the same guy who wrote the underrated Anachronox was especially surprisingly, a very dialogue heavy RPG with great writing. This straight away makes it very different from any of the others in the series. Lost Planet 1 and 2 are all about the action, they both tell stories but they are action games that want you in the action as soon as possible.

The big thing that jumps out with Lost Planet 3 is how different it is in pace, it's veeeeeeeeery slow to get into its story, as in surprisingly so. It's overall a very low key game and I can completely see why some folk just found it boring. When you first start the game you are new on the planet and have just started your job. You are a guy looking to earn some payola to send back to your wife and kid back home. The game starts off introducing the character Jim, and hence the player, to the world via basically doing Jims job. Planting energy posts, helping out other members of your team etc. You are essentially doing mundane things to start the game off with and dealing with the local Akrids is just another part of the job. Even Bills RIG ties into the story. With LP1 and 2 they are purely a gameplay mechanic, completely disposable and there to used, destroyed and another one grabbed from somewhere else. In LP3 it has a history, Jim built his RIG himself and it's a very clunky, slow machine made especially for contruction/engineering which Jim himself needs for his job. None of the upgrades for it are completely over the top, you don't all of a sudden get a chain gun, and it fits within the world they have built.

None of this would mean shit if it had terrible writing and voice performances but thankfully I thought the game excelled here. One big component of the game is that you get messages/and send messages back home to your wife. This would be soooooo easy to fuck up, like REALLY easy to mess up. But they didn't. I came to really like Jim and I felt the relationship between him and wife was genuinely touching and even realistic to an extent. I came to really like Jim the further the game went on and that drew me in and made me want to play more. I found none of the cast to be incredibly cliche an/or badly done. Their is one guy with a french accent who could have been so badly handled but thankfully wasn't.

Now from a gameplay perspective it's also different from Lost Planet 1 and 2, both inside and outside the RIG. LP1 and 2 as you have said have much more weight to them. They feel different to play. I enjoyed Lost Planet 3s on foot combat and it's fun but it doesn't really standout from any other third person shooter. It's much lighter than 1 and 2's combat and you can't just use your grapple anywhere, I was admittedly disappointed with this and did feel it was a bit of a step back. The number of weapons seemed pretty limited as well - shotgun, pistol, assault rifle, explosives. Nothing out of the ordinary really. The weapons feel good to use and sound great too, especially the shotgun which I used for a lot of the game so it's not a horrible game to play at all. But it's safe to say that it could have done with a bigger variety/arsenal of weapons.

The biggest change with LP3 is the RIG. As I've said you only have one RIG which you upgrade throughout the whole game and you control this from a first person perspective. The combat is from a first person as well and it's very slow and weighty. You have no guns and it's all about hitting Akrids across the head, grabbing their arms with your rig, squashing them etc. A fight with just a couple of them can get intense at times, at least when you're new to them and not sure how to take them on. The RIG is VERY slow and doesn't move fast at all (though you unlock fast travel later on in the game), they basically stay very dedicated to how limited/slow this RIG is. I also love the little touches such as the music in Bills cab. Your wife sends you music tapes which you can play and later on when it unlocks you can even play your own music. Something most people wouldn't even give a shit about but fighting an Akrid with 'We Fight For Love' from Commando blasting in the background is a very unique experience :p

I also found it to be an incredibly atmospheric game as well, I've read it described as almost Aliens like and I can see that. It's a very hostile planet, it FEELS hostile. The glistening ice, the atmosphere storms when you are walking outside in your rig and the crunching and breaking of ice all really drum this home. The game is set before LP1 and 2 and it feels like it. It's not a friendly place at all to be in.

It's not perfect of course. It has its flaws. It could have done with more weapon variety, the grapple not being able to shoot anywhere was disappointing and sometimes, during a few boss fights, it didn't really feel as polished as it should have. A bit more Akrid variety would have been nice and you can find yourself fighting the same enemies a bit too frequently. Multiplayer on PC also uses Gamespy which blows my mind. Awful, awful decision.

But yeah LP3 is so different I completely understand why fans of LP1 and 2 would especially hate it. I just think that overall it's a very underrated game and despite being from Spark Unlimited they did a great job, had a particular vision for their game and stuck with it. So yeah I guess I did like it a lot :)

However I firmly blame Capcom for the death of franchise over anyone else.

Enjoy!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sleepy Dawgs -- MB-05EB2F4B540D7BF2 - Taken by Solbringer. 22 entrants total.

t1388087676z1.png

Miker

Aw, I just checked the community vote, Guacamelee didn't win :T I wanted it
From the looks of it, Splelunky is the way to go? Wish it had online multiplayer so I can play with my cousin.

You...you might want to be sitting down for this.

Guacamelee won. The flash sale for it is now over, though.

I'm sorry :(

antitrop

I probably wouldn't play it even if someone gifted it to me. I asked my nephew if he'd ever played it and he just laughed and said "I don't think I can consider dying over and over again as playing"

That's gameplay. He should just watch movies, instead.

Dark Souls reputation has become a bit hyperbolic, it's not that hard, and if you pay attention to the game, you won't die all that often.

inm8num2

Crap, meant to do a lightning raffle, not a 3 hour one.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fable -- MB-410626E0DF3234DA

t1388097525z1.png

Ifrit

did the key work? it had a weird format, I dont think the XCOM: part is supposed to be part of the key, but thats how GMG sent it. if it doesnt work, try removing the XCOM: part, let me know

Also, winners of Guacamelee, Van Helsing, Hotline Miami, Wargame and The Cave please PM me so I can give you the correct links :)

I didn't paste the "XCOM:" part. The key worked fine, it said X-com: Enemy Unknown Worldwide edition or something like it

Thank you again for the key, I really wanted to play it :)

Tizoc

About to go to bed so reposting my giveaway

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Cook, Serve Delicious -- MB-AEDD9EDB7963C992

header_292x136.jpg

Castle of Illusion HD -- MB-FDC0B3F9404FA51B

t1388164664z1.png

Oreoleo

The thing is, if you are dying over and over in Dark Souls it's because you aren't paying attention or refusing to change tactics to adapt to a situation. Dark Souls is hard but its FAIR. If you die it's because of something you did wrong, not because the game is cheap or unfair.

wilflare

gonna sleep! thanks for some amazing giveaways guys!

and support chubs by buying Cook, Serve, Delicious!

hope I don't miss Papers Please or another community vote again

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didn't paste the "XCOM:" part. The key worked fine, it said X-com: Enemy Unknown Worldwide edition or something like it

Thank you again for the key, I really wanted to play it :)

good good. I was 99% sure the xcom part wasnt supposed to be there, but thats how GMG sent it, and there have been rare ocasions when keys have weird formats. Glad it worked

Ricker

Lost Planet 3 at 12.49...it can't be that bad right...? was waiting for a sale on the 360 for this but even better on the PC...

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Cool that Gone Home's on sale, gifted that out to a few friends who wanted it.

Where the fuck is my Volgarr tho

dosh

I have some pretty significant frame dips on my GTX 670, so I'd say so. It's annoying, and IIRC they have no plans to patch it.

Man, I hate it when devs half-ass it like that.

You and me both.

It's really weird but here's a tip from me.

I have a 1080p monitor.

When I play at 1080p it's really framey and sort of stuttery.

When I set the resolution to 1440p it not only clears up any aliasing I have, but I also get a perfect 60fps.

So, if your framerate is weird, I'd recommend changing the resolution and then if need be, changing it back to your native res. It should relieve some framerate dips.

By default, Dark Souls will only use V-syncable resolutions. So it'll jump from 30 to 15 with no room inbetween. If you're capable of rendering at 29fps, it'll render at 15fps.

With DSFix, it allows any framerate you choose. So if you set it to 60fps it can use anything between 0fps and 60fps. By default, Dark Souls only uses 30, 15, 10, etc etc.

Some people have posted and said it still is not very well optimized, even on beefy rigs.
Thanks a lot for the fast answers. It's a bit disheartening, the trailers looked incredibly fun.

Grief.exe

I preorder if I have trust in the developer.

My time is scarce enough to not waste it playing a half finished game.

A broken game can ruin the experience, It doesn't matter how much "potential" can have.

If I'm going to be a tester in a game, I expect to be paid.

Those who pre-ordered BF4 + Premium were literally crying.

For some reason, GTA III and San Andreas are listed twice in my library.

These two games are the reason why I made the rule to never buy games simply because they are cheap, but only on pure interest alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom