• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

feel

I probably wouldn't play it even if someone gifted it to me. I asked my nephew if he'd ever played it and he just laughed and said "I don't think I can consider dying over and over again as playing"

Turned me off pretty quick.
Your nephew probably doesn't mind that in Call Of Duty multiplayer. :p

But yeah jokes aside that's a ridiculous thing to say about Dark Souls, it's not really hard, it just punishes the reckless and impatient.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
You and me both.

Thanks a lot for the fast answers. It's a bit disheartening, the trailers looked incredibly fun.

You should try the resolution trick I mentioned.

The game is a total blast, super fun. I had friends over on Thanksgiving and we played 4 player Trials and when I got the framerate right things were running smoothly and we all had a hell of a time.

Damn Enemy Within is 7.3gb. Now that's an expansion.

Is it mandatory? I hate when devs mandate that I need to download all expansions for a game. Downloading 25GB of crap when I only need 10 is pretty frustrating on my 1.5MB/s connection. I can only imagine how infuriating it is for people with download caps!

Already won a few giveaways, time to give back. From one of my favourite developers.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Stacking -- MB-096CD490CDA7E12D - Taken by wilflare. 15 entrants total.

t1388098244z1.png

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Is it mandatory? I hate when devs mandate that I need to download all expansions for a game. Downloading 25GB of crap when I only need 10 is pretty frustrating on my 1.5MB/s connection. I can only imagine how infuriating it is for people with download caps!

The Enemy Within expansion integrates directly into the main campaign I believe, so there would be no reason not to get it. It expands upon the games normal mechanics and adds right into the main experience.

Martian

If you buy The Elder Scrolls Skyrim Legendary edition, do you get individual keys?

I have Skyrim, Dawnguard and Hearthfire, but I just want Dragonborn. Unfortunately Dragonborn is almost as expensive as the entire Legendary edition, and I would like to gift the rest (if possible)

pahamrick

Only if you get the expansion, and mainly the size comes from the fact they included higher res version of the cutscenes with it.

Benedict

Lets try this now:

Edit: Only two keys left.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Nuclear Dawn -- MB-92E817956ACD9E04 - Taken by bobnowhere

Plain Sight -- MB-5CA67EBAA3BCCA70 - Taken by Pranay_

You should try the resolution trick I mentioned.

The game is a total blast, super fun. I had friends over on Thanksgiving and we played 4 player Trials and when I got the framerate right things were running smoothly and we all had a hell of a time.

I'm actually going to try it right now! I'm assuming you need to be in windowed mode when you change to a higher res than your native, correct?

You've got to be kidding me, I bought the second Penny Arcade game when it was $3.59 because it never goes on sale, and now it's in another Humble Bundle in the $1 tier? Fuck.

Alright guys, guess I'll announce it here, I assure this is not for my profit :

So 6 months ago I began trading here, me and a trader known as rash formed a team, he sold the games I did the distribution, I put on a 4% over fee on the majority of the games we sold to make some sort of $. This works great for us, we did over 4000$ in revenue ( Not idea what his margins are ), me making a modest 310$ ( Screw You Assassins Creed 4 )

Over the course of the period I noticed the reason 90% of users were buying from me was they were scared of traders and wanted security within comfortable means. They knew i was not the one in Russia yet felt better
having someone from here get them their games.

With this knowledge I am starting a new system, this is rash's price checking site

http://rash.zz.mu/

This is my paypal email : maneil99@live.ca
I am no longer making any profit, all I ask is to send 3-4 cents more to cover fees.

I am also introducing a tip jar none of this goes to ME or RASH. But rather YOU

Say you buy the walking dead season 2 for 16$ instead of 25, maybe you want to do a giveaway but can't, well by donating 1$ to the tip jar you can help be a part of that. Once enough money is in the tip jar I will purchase a game from Steam and give it away here on steam gaf. This way everyone can contribute to giveaways even if they can not afford to pay.
If you want a game email me the hyperlink ( Red text on the site, pm me and attach a note to the PP )

Again I am doing this as honestly as I can, I want to help not make money and I feel like this is a great idea, none of the risk yet still a discount. You can deal with rash yourself, I call him the grumpy russian just mention my name if you can

Let me know if this is a good idea or not and if this posts belongs here, i think its relevant

Ah rash. I've done alot of business with the guy before. Good guy!

How were you able to sell Day Z for so low before while rash has it priced for $34?

coop
pvp
messages written by players which you can read (with a rough thumbs up/down system)
covenants (see a wiki, it's kinda complicated and i don't think i got it)
people who just died leave bloodstains, if you touch it you can see their last seconds
other visual/audio stuff (it's very subtle and doesn't add to the game)

A lot of the online stuff is flavor.

Users can leave messages on the ground that are little hints to guide you through. Stuff like "Amazing Chest Head" "Try Rear" and "Try Jumping".

When people die, they sometimes leave bloodstains. You can touch their bloodstain and it shows you how they died.

When you're walking around you may see a translucent phantom which is another player who's in the same area as you. You don't interact, it just lets you know someone, somewhere, is right where you are right now too.

If someone in their game beats one of the bosses and rings a bell, you can hear a bell start ringing in your game.

If someone upgrades the same bonfire you're at, you might get an extra health potion (estus flask.)

There's a bunch of stuff like that.

But on top of that is the actual online PVP and co-op.

You can summon people into your world to help you fight bosses and enemies, and if you make yourself eligible to summon others (you do this by turning human) then you also make yourself eligible to be invaded by others.

This is other people playing them game invading your world and trying their hardest to get to you and kill you.

The online is a really cool part of the game, but it's not required or essential.
Thank you both for the explanation.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The feel of having nearly everything you want.

Brothers

I'm actually going to try it right now! I'm assuming you need to be in windowed mode when you change to a higher res than your native, correct?

Nope, you specifically DON'T want windowed mode. You want fullscreen. It should scale the game down to fit your screen.

The reason you do it is it basically forces SSAA (Super Sampled Anti Aliasing) which cleans up the jaggies on edges, and it has the nice side benefit of somehow fixing the game to run at 60fps.

If you have troubles getting it to work correctly, Corky made an awesome tutorial on adding custom resolutions to your monitor or TV.

Lautaro

Those who pre-ordered BF4 + Premium were literally crying.

Literally literally or figurative- ah fuck it.

Yeah, trust can be lost (it happened to me with Bioware) so I think preordering could be a dying practice (it's probably for the best).

If you can enjoy an early access game, good for you but is not for everyone.

Grief.exe

Literally literally or figurative- ah fuck it.

Yeah, trust can be lost (it happened to me with Bioware) so I think preordering could be a dying practice (it's probably for the best).

If you can enjoy an early access game, good for you but is not for everyone.

I am thoroughly enjoying Early Access DayZ, plenty of people have asked me whether they should buy it and I always tell them to wait.

It is a great base for them to iterate content, and it is, actually, very stable, but the game is very bare bones at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom