• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The correct answer is Spelunky, my friend.

But I have that. :(

Yo thats some straight bullshit, I just got that pop up window with todays deals on steam, and it shows Gone Home 75% off, motherfuckers >_<

so is it 66% off or 75% off? I see 66%.

The idea of Dark Souls not being playable after Microsoft shuts down their DRM in July is a huge turn off. I love replaying my games so the idea of only being able to play it for ~8 months doesn't sit we'll with me.

wait, I'd only be able to play the game for 7-8 months?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so aparently I fucked up the giveaway with the steam links, so just PM me so I can give them to you >_< sorry about that

Turfster

Is Tages really that bad of DRM? I've yet to install The Chronicles of Riddick I got from that Gamestop deal several months back and now I'm worried to when I get back home.
The driver can make your OS not boot or interfere with normal reading off your media, and the activation limits are used up every time you change any part of your system.
Also, this is physical disc sector based copyprotection at heart, so what the fuck is it still doing in digital download versions? Everyone should avoid Anno 2070/Riddick and other releases that still have it until the pubs remove that shit.

WOW WHY THE FUCK IS GFWL NOT WORKING

Welcome to GFWL.

redfirm

Banned
ouya-gamects39.jpg

Budddyyyy YOU Win! I shall be PM'ing you about the game really soon :)

Peachpies

WOW WHY THE FUCK IS GFWL NOT WORKING
merry christmas!

The idea of Dark Souls not being playable after Microsoft shuts down their DRM in July is a huge turn off. I love replaying my games so the idea of only being able to play it for ~8 months doesn't sit we'll with me.
the dependency on gfwl should be removed before then

Seik

Banned

Oh... was it confirmed that it won't be playable at this point? :(

Kadin

so aparently I fucked up the giveaway with the steam links, so just PM me so I can give them to you >_< sorry about that
No worries at all... Pretty sure we're all perfectly okay with it. You've given away a lot, things happen. =)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The idea of Dark Souls not being playable after Microsoft shuts down their DRM in July is a huge turn off. I love replaying my games so the idea of only being able to play it for ~8 months doesn't sit well with me.

Assuming that From Software do not remove GFWL from it, you'd still be able to play offline which is totally fine for the game. People have disabled GFWL already it just means no online.

It's not ideal, and the online adds a lot to the game, but even offline only it would still be a fantastic game.

Oh... was it confirmed that it won't be playable at this point? :(

See above.

Oreoleo

I'm not voting for something I already own, tho! And I'd be pretty shocked if everyone saying "Spelunky" doesn't already own it as well.

I do not own it and I would really like you to vote for Spelunky so people like me and Zeliard can own it and know what everyone else who says it's a perfectly designed game is talking about.

What kind of adventure gameplay is in The Cave? I saw my brother playing it and I like the characters and voice acting, but if the gameplay is like Monkey Island and it's trial and error pointing and clicking I'll pass. I've heard it's like Trine? I haven't played much of that.

Zeliard

I'm not voting for something I already own, tho! And I'd be pretty shocked if everyone saying "Spelunky" doesn't already own it as well.

I don't have it, unfortunately. I've purchased (and been gifted <3) several games during this sale, but Spelunky is the one I've been anticipating the most. :)

I have only unlocked the eye remix boss and yeah, wtf is that
That one MIGHT be the worst of the lot, if that means anything to ya.

Congrats! I like the design of the remix bosses, just not how hard they are and how you can't grind past them.
Thanks.

I actually like the concept of the bosses (with set character/stats), I just don't think the mechanics of the game are built in any way for skill based gameplay. And even if you do feel that they are, some of the design choices still end up forcing the battles into relying on a lot of luck (such as the attacks of the eye boss).

Assuming that From Software do not remove GFWL from it, you'd still be able to play offline which is totally fine for the game. People have disabled GFWL already it just means no online.

It's not ideal, and the online adds a lot to the game, but even offline only it would still be a fantastic game.

See above.

Oh, ok then. Now I feel better. What online features does DS have?

~Kinggi~

Banned
from are a bunch of asshats if they dont quickly get on removing gfwl. Ds has an active community and the pc is a place where this game should thrive forever. so many lost sales to drm confusion. while they are at it, make a proper resolution patch, idiots.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
But I have that. :(

so is it 66% off or 75% off? I see 66%.

its 66% but the pop up banner thing that shows up on steam said 75 :(

again, any winner of the recent raffle that cant redeem the codes (its only for the ones directly from steam, which are most of them to be honest) please PM me, either I fucked up or ModBot did

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Time for a rant.

Apparently Steam Guard locks you from trading if you disable it for a bit and re-enabled it. I disabled it because I was going to vote through mobile app since I was going to be away for the whole day and didn't want to bother with the e-mail code. It wouldn't be so bad if they warn you about being unable to trade.

I can deal with being unable to buy/sell through the market due to changing payment plans, but Steam Guard?

All these cards are going to waste!

Curious_George

Neo Member
The idea of Dark Souls not being playable after Microsoft shuts down their DRM in July is a huge turn off. I love replaying my games so the idea of only being able to play it for ~8 months doesn't sit well with me.

I'm sure it'll still be playable offline (even it if requires a community crack or something). Besides, 8 months is plenty of time to get your $6 worth of entertainment. Dark Souls 2 will be out by then anyway and most players will probably migrate there, so even if GFWL was still up the online would probably be pretty dead by then.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The driver can make your OS not boot or interfere with normal reading off your media, and the activation limits are used up every time you change any part of your system.
Also, this is physical disc sector based copyprotection at heart, so what the fuck is it still doing in digital download versions? Everyone should avoid Anno 2070/Riddick and other releases that still have it until the pubs remove that shit.

That is terrifying indeed. Thank you for the warning.

dosh

I have a quick question about Trials Evolution: is the framerate still a complete nightmare on some computers?

I remember trying it on my pc using the account of a friend who wanted to show me the game, and it was absolutely unplayable (which sucks, because I loved the first game).

Bastion reviews are well split between love and hate.

I goddamn loved Bastion. The art style is amazing, some parts combined gameplay and narrative in a really interesting way, and the soundtrack is astounding. It's probably my most-listened-to OST of all time.

Well worth full price, not to mentioned the couple of bucks they're asking for it now.

Oreoleo

Okay now GFWL is working. The game's running fine, it just feels...chuggy? sluggish, even when DSFix is in...?

You have to enable 60fps in the dsfix.ini or else the game is locked at 30.

I have a quick question about Trials Evolution: is the framerate still a complete nightmare on some computers?

Some people have posted and said it still is not very well optimized, even on beefy rigs.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Once again, my good friends, I am giving away a copy of Dark Souls. For the first time with the help of our friend ModBot.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

header.jpg

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dark Souls -- MB-29BB57E97D783C01 - Taken by afternoon delight. 24 entrants total.

t1388086904z1.png

Oh, ok then. Now I feel better. What online features does DS have?

coop
pvp
messages written by players which you can read (with a rough thumbs up/down system)
covenants (see a wiki, it's kinda complicated and i don't think i got it)
people who just died leave bloodstains, if you touch it you can see their last seconds
other visual/audio stuff (it's very subtle and doesn't add to the game)

I remember trying it on my pc using the account of a friend who wanted to show me the game, and it was absolutely unplayable (which sucks, because I loved the first game).

I have some pretty significant frame dips on my GTX 670, so I'd say so. It's annoying, and IIRC they have no plans to patch it.

Man, I hate it when devs half-ass it like that.

Ifrit

modbot sucks at choosing what games to highlight with pictures. Anyway, as usual, enjoy:

I snuck in a few keys that werent claimed from that first giveaway, someone take them already lol. Also, a note on the XCOM key, it was in a weird format so if it doesnt work, you probably need to remove the XCOM: part

Thank you very much Rhaknar. I won X-com
3AQmK.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom