• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

The real difficulty and frustration in Dark Souls lies with the fact that it has no interest in telling you what anything means. It's not hand holding to ask for the game to explain what its stat increases do, for example. That's where the game (along with Demons Souls) failed in my eyes. It's just obtuse in its own mechanics. That's completely separate from not being explicit in telling you where to go, or "Oops, maybe you shouldn't have run past that hallway without looking to see what was down there first, idiot"
I'm the type of person that doesn't feel like a gaming experience is ruined by looking up some detail on a wiki.

Should I jump on Gone Home now or wait, I know it was 75% off a bit ago for Humble Bundle Store, but I missed that, plus I have a steam wallet gift card.

Also how is Anno 2070?

The real difficulty and frustration in Dark Souls lies with the fact that it has no interest in telling you what anything means. It's not hand holding to ask for the game to explain what its stat increases do, for example. That's where the game (along with Demons Souls) failed in my eyes. It's just obtuse in its own mechanics. That's completely separate from not being explicit in telling you where to go, or "Oops, maybe you shouldn't have run past that hallway without looking to see what was down there first, idiot"

They're my favorite games ever and I can understand but I had to nitpick that even in Demon's, especially in dark, they tell you exactly what the stat increases do right next to it.

In my opinion the biggest hurdle is not understanding the soul/hollow/body system in either game, and the weapon upgrade system, since they are never mentioned. At least in both games they give you a little nod to go and up your stats with souls/etc.

Grief.exe

If you highlight the stat it actually says what it does. That is not readily apparent though.

The new director wants to make systems such as that less obtuse.

how much you are willing to spend?
Some of us are waiting for this to drop in price to get some fun with gifts
header_292x136.jpg

if you want cheap one
header_292x136.jpg

Monk found last one.

Magic Crystals isn't completely terrible. Not good but it isn't aggressively bad and wrong like the Barbie game.

for some reason I can't get my xbox controller to aim in CS GO, wanted to play on my TV but looks like they got some patching to do to improve controller support

Yup, I bought it a few months ago and they STILL haven't fixed it. Game looks fun too.
Hoping Spelunky wins the vote. I want to see what all the fuss is about.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Man, DmC is on sale, but knowing that it's going to be free next month on PS+ sure drains away all my reasons to buy it lol.

And wow at Lost Planet 3. I barely even knew it released, and even now I barely even realize that it probably bombed pretty hard.

60fps on PC > Subpar 30fps on Ps3

bj00rn_

Banned
The difficulty associated with Dark Souls is overblown, and its all fair. There won't be many times that you will actually get frustrated.

Those knights on that ledge drove me more crazy than any other game in history.. The game has plenty of frustrations, and even a sea of glitches, but the thing is, they are all possible to overcome.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

On the level up screen it shows you exactly how putting points into something will affect all your stats, before you confirm it too. Also has explanations for all the stats if you hit X over them.

Decado

Damns, really tempted to get Heroes VI Complete at GMG for $8. Presumably it has been patched...how does it stack up now?

rtcn63

I enjoyed DMC4, and the me, the most notable downfall is that you play most of the game as Nero. With previous DMC games, defeating a boss would net you a weapon, but DMC4, you just got abilities used for puzzle-solving and level traversal (like a Metroidvania) until you take control of Dante. Who is just there to pad to the game, and show you the weapons you should've been playing with from the very beginning.

Another give away because why not?

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bastion -- MB-EE196E8FDA86B156
Anomaly Korea -- MB-B335840ABB3D6DDA
Brutal Legend -- MB-52A731CCD76BE9BD
Trine 2 -- MB-F89010B1594D84CB
FTL -- MB-B5CF44EA63F309BC

t1388100899z1.png

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
At one point someone on Reddit asked me for some help with Dark Souls so I gave these little tips that I thought were worth knowing, if you want to read it.

Dark Souls Tips said:
GFWL is still around until I believe around June of next year. The online is still active but since the game has aged a bit, it's not positively bustling with people.

Most of the invaders are probably going to absolutely wreck you, and most of the people who you can summon are probably going to run straight to the boss leaving a trail of dead enemies behind them, so you should decide how and when you want to interact with the online community.

Realistically, the class you choose doesn't matter at all. Regardless of the class you pick, basically any playstyle is open to you from the start of the game.

If you don't pick the Master Key as your gift there will be some stuff you can't access so if you're the type who absolutely wants to do everything I recommend you get it.

As for the balance of what to look up and what not too, this is my philosophy.

Keep playing until you become so frustrated that your options are either look it up, or stop playing all together. Dark Souls has a lot of secrets and some are really fuckin devilishly hidden! You should try playing without a guide but if you find yourself so angry that you just wanna stop, it's probably worth just looking some stuff up about the area.

I think there are some tips you should know if you want to explore everything.​

There are two areas in the game that you most likely would never find on your own. One is called The Painted World of Ariamis and the other is called The Great Hollow. Both of them are mid to late game areas, so if you feel like you're far in the game and don't want to miss out on them, you should look them up. (I wouldn't look them up before completing Anor Londo.)

Another important thing to know is humanity and kindling.

If you rest at a bonfire there are two options, one called reverse hollowing and the other called kindle bonfire.

By default, you're undead. When you're undead, you can't do any of the multiplayer stuff, so that means people can't invade you but also you can't summon others to help you.

In order to become human, you have to consume an item in your inventory called "Humanity". Once you have consumed humanity (you'll see the counter on the top left of the screen says 01 now) you can reverse hollowing at the bonfire. While you're human, you can interact with the online how I mentioned before and you can also "kindle bonfire". You can use another humanity to kindle a bonfire and what that does is basically boost the bonfire so that if you rest there, rather than getting 5 health potions (called Estus Flasks) you'll get 10 of them.

Another small tip, in the early game when you're just learning, parrying and riposting are not important and very difficult to pull off. Don't get frustrated if you can't do it. The timing is really precise.

Blocking is a lot more effective than you probably think and you should try to get a shield that blocks 100% damage. (You can see more stats on items by changing the view option while in the weapon select menu)

Being able to roll really fast is useful but not essential. (you roll really fast if you're under 25% load) If your equip load (basically your carry weight) is more than 50% of your total possible load, you'll roll really slow and you probably don't want that.

Don't rush.

Some NPC's sort of look like enemies, they won't attack you - don't attack them or they won't forgive you.

Those are the basics that I think are important that I can remember right now. I know it seems long, and you'll probably be able to figure out a lot of this stuff on your own, but I think all of that is really useful.

If you've ever got questions, drop em my way bud. Hope you like the game!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Damns, really tempted to get Heroes VI Complete at GMG for $8. Presumably it has been patched...how does it stack up now?

its not Steam for one (unless you dont care) and I dont even see a discount on it

Arthea

I bought it at full price I think, still haven't played, after all problems people had with Uplay, just couldn't. So if you'll buy it and play, inform us how it went.
Need to mention, I have it on steam.

for some reason I can't get my xbox controller to aim in CS GO, wanted to play on my TV but looks like they got some patching to do to improve controller support

Yup, I bought it a few months ago and they STILL haven't fixed it. Game looks fun too.
Hoping Spelunky wins the vote. I want to see what all the fuss is about.

Enable the console in CSGO's settings, and open it. Type Joystick 1 and it should work.

Peachpies

trine and trine 2
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Trine2 complete story -- MB-9429F03D8B3F4982 - Taken by Boom Boom Pow. 2 entrants total.
Trine -- MB-9992FDBCE2BF4F52 - Taken by GaussTek. 2 entrants total.

t1388091545z1.png

Arthea

I enjoyed DMC4, and the me, the most notable downfall is that you play most of the game as Nero. With previous DMC games, defeating a boss would net you a weapon, but DMC4, you just got abilities used for puzzle-solving and level traversal (like a Metroidvania) until you take control of Dante. Who is just there to pad to the game, and show you the weapons you should've been playing with from the very beginning.

That was disappointing, I agree. Nero was a beast with this demon hand of his though.

GaussTek

Penny Arcade on the Humble Weekly Bundle.

Are the first two games good? I have only played the 3rd one by Zeboyd (it's awesome), and planning to get the 4th one if it goes on a daily/flash again (missed the one that happened a few days ago :()

Glix

I have 5-ish bucks to spend on a giveaway.

Is there a consensus as to which game would go over best in this thread?

Crafted another Winter Sale Badge, got another Star Conflict item. Now I got two of those socks and I don't even know what that game is.

Should have just crafted regular game badges, at least I didn't spend any money on those, just flipping around cards.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I have 5-ish bucks to spend on a giveaway.

Is there a consensus as to which game would go over best in this thread?

gone home (selfish reasons lol)

dark souls is the real anwser tho

kAmui-

I think I saw something about some problems with running Dark Souls on windows 8 when I was browsing on my phone earlier so I'd like to know what these problems are if they exist. I'll probably buy it if there aren't any problems that can't be fixed.

Triggaaar

Neo Member
Really? I'm not sure what there is to hate about Bastion. The gameplay's fun, the storytelling is good, the art is great, and the music is excellent. I could see it just not being your thing, but hate?
Well maybe not hate - just the impression I got from reading the metacritic reviews.

Great presentation, aesthetics, voice acting. The worst part about Bastion is the actual game, the combat doesn't feel all that satisfying.
Saw a nice video of it on youtube and decide to give it a go (it's cheap enough to buy without checking it out, but I'm checking it simply to see if it's worth my time).

Now the embarrassing bit - it's already in my steam library :facepalm:

I goddamn loved Bastion. The art style is amazing, some parts combined gameplay and narrative in a really interesting way, and the soundtrack is astounding. It's probably my most-listened-to OST of all time.

Well worth full price, not to mentioned the couple of bucks they're asking for it now.
Cheers. Just need to see if I can get a 360 controller to work with it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Penny Arcade on the Humble Weekly Bundle.

Are the first two games good? I have only played the 3rd one by Zeboyd (it's awesome), and planning to get the 4th one if it goes on a daily/flash again (missed the one that happened a few days ago :()

I only played the first two, I liked them and was disappointed that Hothead didn't finish the series. A big part of that was just that I have absolutely no fondness for the way Zeboyd games have looked. They played decently, maybe I was just terrible at them but normal encounters were actually a threat and you couldn't mindlessly get through an average battle.

I think I saw something about some problems with running Dark Souls on windows 8 when I was browsing on my phone earlier so I'd like to know what these problems are if they exist. I'll probably buy it if there aren't any problems that can't be fixed.

Not sure about Windows 8 (running 8.1 here), but I know that the version of DSFix I'm using is having issues with anything besides resolution changes.

Bought CS:GO and actually launched it to give it a try, but it seems impossible to find games at all.

Maybe Gaben didn't count on people to actually play these games.
Just ask GAF or look online for popular/good servers hosted somewhere near your region. I have 3 West Coast servers where I do 95% of my playing.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
That's why I bought DMC4 on PC. If DmC happens to be a subpar game for the series like I hear, I might just be content playing it at a subpar framerate lol

DMC4 runs at 60 on PS3 and 360 I think

As for DmC the game shines more on PC. The combat its good and the set pieces are great but it needs more depth to it. The color coded enemies suck but otherwise the game its pretty good. DMC3 still King but DmC aint no DMC2 tier.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom