• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it seems daunting, instead of stressing through it without control, perhaps try to use the first couple of "areas" as a sandbox / tool to gain some skills and points to level up, in other words some light grinding. And remember, backstabbing is your friend, LOL. Anyway, I never thought I would even come close to finish this game, normally I don't have the patience to master this type of game, but I did, and I'm glad.

Edit: Well, I absolutely hated the "invasions" / "online" play, so I played it most of the time without internet connection.. But that's just me..
Thanks for the helpful tips. Yeah, the invasions sound horrible. I hope it doesn't happen to me if I buy DS.

All right, fuck it, I bought Dark Souls. It might rot in my library, but it's there.

C'mon CoJ Gunslinger. That's about the last "gotta have during the winter sale" game I have on my list.

Coreda

Quoting for a new page for anyone interested. Euro Truck Simulator 2, Guacamelee Gold, and Bionic Commando Rearmed` up for 24 hour raffle.

So SteamGAF fellows, have 3 treats for you. This thread has been very generous so I thought I'd share in the spirit.

rrs

Reposting KoF XIII giveaway, one is the game and one is Bad Rats.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

It's your old pal, Bad Rats -- MB-6E3960879FE54A4D - Taken by Unicorn. 50 entrants total.
A Bad Rat for a good child -- MB-1B457048C07D2DF9 - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 52 entrants total.

t1388125962z1.png

This might not be the right place but I got Rogue Legacy a few days ago and it is awesome. Any other games similar to this that I should keep an eye out for?

JakeD

All right, fuck it, I bought Dark Souls. It might rot in my library, but it's there.

C'mon CoJ Gunslinger. That's about the last "gotta have during the winter sale" game I have on my list.

steam key is $5 on amazon.

speaking of amazon, do we have any clue what the 2013 Editor's Choice Games will actually include? i have a few $5 credits i'll need to spend

Teppic

Just now starting to see the potential of the trading cards. I'm surprised every time someone buys one of the cards I've put up for sale :p

bkw

Didn't feel like I ever needed to play another Souls game after finishing Demon's Souls, but I'll probably bite at $6. At least wiki all the way if the game gets to me.

In Demon's I only played in soul form since I didn't care for the invasion or tendency stuff. Can I do the same in Dark? (Or should I?)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition -- MB-E05F21C7011A65EA - Taken by PandaPedinte. 46 entrants total.
dark-souls-2-cover.jpg

t1388095724z1.png

riposte for people who didn't get in earlier

Firebrand

Didn't feel like I ever needed to play another Souls game after finishing Demon's Souls, but I'll probably bite at $6. At least wiki all the way if the game gets to me.

In Demon's I only played in soul form since I didn't care for the invasion or tendency stuff. Can I do the same in Dark? (Or should I?)
I played most of the game in hollow form. If you don't wanna co-op / fight other people you only need to go human to kindle the bonfires for extra flasks. There's no significant penalty like lowered health etc. Player messages will still appear (when GFWL feels like it).

I guess you'd miss out on NPC invasions and the loot they drop, but you could just look up the areas where they appear and go human for those occasions.

Sullichin

There's no tendency stuff to worry about this time. You can play in hollow form (soul form equivilant) and never get invaded. But you should check out the online stuff too.

fantomena

Vote for Spelunky, it's my GOTY. DmC is a damn amazing fun game, buy it. Wargame: EE is 90% off, buy it, it's awesome. Dark Souls will suck and capture your soul. Buy it.

Cizard

This might not be the right place but I got Rogue Legacy a few days ago and it is awesome. Any other games similar to this that I should keep an eye out for?

Eldritch and Spelunky are quite good as well. Spelunky will probably win the community vote and Eldritch has been in a flash sale before but return before the end of the sale?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Depends on what you're looking for. Not a lot of games have the mix of procedural generation/permadeath with permanence and progression. Binding of Isaac and Risk of Rain are similar but don't offer the upgrade paths with XP/money but instead give unlocked items that you can find in future playthroughs based on specific in-game tasks. Gameplay wise, Risk of Rain is a side scrolling shooter with some platforming and Isaac is a top down shooter like Smash TV.

If you meant just the gameplay itself, Guacamelee might be most similar in that it is a side scrolling platformer heavily focused on combat. It's more traditional in design though, one connected overworld like Metroid/Symphony of the Night.

And since I can't not mention it when recommending things, Spelunky is just the best game. It's a precise platformer with procedurally generated levels with unforgiving gameplay and frequent deaths. It doesn't have anything to unlock except shortcuts and alternate skins for your character, and nothing carries over from one playthrough to the next.

I'm (making an attempt at) using a 360 controller. It's insisting that I want to use it for player 2. I change player 2's settings to keyboard, then the keyboard simply controls player 1's settings changes so I can't actually change anything with the keyboard. Then when I think I've got everything set as I want, I confirm that and try to go back in to the options screen to set the 360 pad as player 1, and the game says how about Hydra is player 1 and 360 is Player 2 again.

edit: Okay, realized that I couldn't change player 2's settings with the keyboard because despite saying Player 1 is using the Hydra, Player 1's default keyboard controls still work to control the player 1 setting. 360 controller isn't even listed under options for player 1, and Hydra isn't even listed under options for player 2, so right now it's looking like unplugging the Hydra is the only option here.

Are you using Windows 8 by any chance? Since upgrading to w8 I have noticed some problems with pad support that were never there before in games like Brothers and Risk of Rain. And I narrowed it down to the games recognizing the Hydra over the 360 pad and thinking it was just some generic gamepad with button1/2 etc. I noticed in Device Manager that the Hydra shows up under 'Human Interface Devices' as a HID-compliant game controller just like the 360, and is listed above it. When I disconnect it the games recognize the 360 pad as normal, so my conclusion is w8 changed the ordering of these things and some games just look for the first on the list rather than a 360 pad specifically.

If you don't find any other solution, one tip I remembered is that you can disconnect the Hydra from the base station by pulling the cord on that side so you don't have to go to the PC every time.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Papers, Please is awesome. This one guy keeps trying to get past my checkpoint with a forged passport and I have to send him home, lol.

Glix

Any of you guys Pinball FX junkies?

I'm looking to friend up with some peeps so I can have more leaderboard competition.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Are you using Windows 8 by any chance? Since upgrading to w8 I have noticed some problems with pad support that were never there before in games like Brothers and Risk of Rain. And I narrowed it down to the games recognizing the Hydra over the 360 pad and thinking it was just some generic gamepad with button1/2 etc. I noticed in Device Manager that the Hydra shows up under 'Human Interface Devices' as a HID-compliant game controller just like the 360, and is listed above it. When I disconnect it the games recognize the 360 pad as normal, so my conclusion is w8 changed the ordering of these things and some games just look for the first on the list rather than a 360 pad specifically.

If you don't find any other solution, one tip I remembered is that you can disconnect the Hydra from the base station by pulling the cord on that side so you don't have to go to the PC every time.

I'm using Windows 7, but I have had this problem with one game before. I think it was Dark Souls. It wouldn't let me use my 360 controller if I had either my PS3 controller or the Hydra connected.

Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for grindamasta:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

HE Duality: Inception Part 1 DLC -- MB-48AA7045D4AD1BA9 - Taken by darkchewie
HE Duality: Inception Part 3 DLC -- MB-9D0F599282738CF7 - Taken by darkchewie
Shattered Heaven -- MB-4A91509EFE81B182 - Taken by Drakhyrr. 2 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-882F72C95FFF93FF - Taken by freakk5. 2 entrants total.
HE Duality: Inception Part 2 DLC -- MB-94F66B0FF06C3D58 - Taken by darkchewie
Puzzler World -- MB-FD44E78D93C6ED3C - Taken by arts&crafts. 1 entrants total.

t1388093164z1.png

Danj

Any of you guys Pinball FX junkies?

I'm looking to friend up with some peeps so I can have more leaderboard competition.

I don't know that I'd say "junkie" but I did pick it up last time it was on sale and got a shitload of tables too.

Volotaire

I'm really surprised there's not much hype for Wolf Among Us. I found the first episode I played at my friend's house a lot better than the Walking Dead's Season 1 first episode. The atmosphere and world is pretty great, I might have to look into those comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom