• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohoXD123

3 and half hours to decide on Gone Home >_<

did_it_ever_happen_to_you_when_part_18_03.gif

Get it here though:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/gonehome_storefront

Arthea

Yeah, they've been posted quite a few times now. 75% off GTA4 should mean that I'll be able to pick up the German version of GTA:SA for 2.49 Eurobucks, so I'm looking forward to that.

I thought you would buy german version first, as these has to be cheaper, being censored and all. (><)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
BTW, the Borderlands 2 Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 2 is $1 on GMG with the promo code. It's $5 everywhere else.

and the first pack too for those (like me) who dont have either

EDIT: nvm I do have the first pack...STEEEEEEEEEEEEEAM!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fun fact: Most of that $12.3m actually comes from JaseC during steam sales.

Haha, I actually don't own the game yet. I'll jump on it sooner rather than later seeing as the price is only going to go up.

Haha wat, why would you want that?
Are you collecting games from every region now too?

*cough* ;) The German version of GTA:SA has a German-specific Mac app!

Edit: There's also a German-specific version of Sniper Elite: Zombie Army that I need to snap up.

I am giving away one of the hottest new games that everyone is talking about. Enter this raffle for a chance to win a life altering experience!
Oh Jesus Christ singing in the rain, CAG's love for this neo-Bad Rats is spreading. Now we just need Coconut Queen to make it over here and the cross-forum pollination of bad games is complete.

drgambit

Banned
Guys
I can't play Don't Starve.
I absolutely suck at this game.

Tips for the first few days? I've tried cutting down trees and making a better fire, and planting trees and trying to make an home base, but I'm really struggling with food

Where should I settle?

1. Don't Starve
2. You will die, a lot... it's part of life :D
3. I always liked to settle next to grasslands, where there are beefalos. They give you poop, and poop is good for growing things and campfires.
4. Berries (unless it got nerfed) always filled me up in the beginning. I think roasting them help out as well.

Colin.

I liked it better when the complete GTA pack was £5 during sales. It was my 3rd purchase on Steam actually. First being Counter Strike complete.

Guys

Tips for the first few days? I've tried cutting down trees and making a better fire, and planting trees and trying to make an home base, but I'm really struggling with food

Where should I settle?

I did a bit of wandering in my first playthrough because I had trouble finding flint to make an axe, hit berry bushes and carrots and such as I walked around. When I finally got my axe and built a campfire I cooked the food I gathered to get more quality out of it. Now I spend the majority of my day gathering plants for food with a minority of time spent improving my camp and gathering non-food items for crafting. If you think about it, you're hunter-gatherer level when you first start out, and like any hunter-gatherer group, the majority of your time should be spent on securing food. Stick with it, things should get easier as you get stuck in and build up your tech and supplies and free up time for other things than food hunting.

_hekk05

Banned
Guys

Where should I settle?

Here are some tips:

Building your base:

Build it in a forest biome, or very near one. This is in case you ever need some emergency wood just before night time.
Build it near a grasslands biome, preferably with lots of rabbit holes.

DO NOT:
build near beefalos. They will aggro you in their mating season and make your base unlivable.
build near ponds. Frogs decrease sanity.
build near swamps. Mosquitoes sucks.
build near spiders. Nope
build in maxwell biome. I don't even think you can unless you seriously kite and kill everything.

All the above can be 1 biome away though.

Food:
Beefalo manure can be used to build farms. Plant seeds to make veggies and fruits

Make loads of traps. Plant them over rabbit holes, or as close to the hole as you can. When they come out they usually get trapped. Once trapped, it is considered caught and the hole will spawn another rabbit the next day. Don't harvest the trap until you actually need the meat. This way, you can build up a gigantic field of trapped rabbits that you can harvest in winter.

Drying stands can be used to dry meat and reset the spoil meter. You can make meats last longer by: Raw --> Cooking (halves spoil meter) --> Drying (resets spoil meter)

Crockpots can be used to create recipes which can heal you a lot more than individual ingredients. Different dishes recover different amounts of health, sanity and hunger.

After you make your science machine, alchemy machine, lightning rod etc, make a bird cage. Catch a bird and put her in the cage. Feeding the bird seeds will cause her to have a chance to give back more of those seeds, but that's not her primary purpose. Feed her meats (or eggs) for fresh eggs. If she doesn't want to eat some meats, just cook them in the fire and feed her.

After you get a bug net, catch honey bees (yellow ones, red ones are killer bees). After that, destroy a bee hive the old fashioned way (DO NOT SET FIRE TO IT) and get the honeycomb. use it to build bee boxes. Catch butterflies to plant flowers around your bee boxes. Harvest the honey for use in crockpot. Taffies recover quite a good amount of sanity and honey nuggets heal for 20 each.

Fish for fish in ponds. In a crockpot, put 1 fish, 1 stick and 2 other random ingredients (that are not sticks) for fish sticks. Fish sticks also heal a good amount of health. Fish spoil fast though, so only catch when you want them.

Sweet. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Yeah, I just looked on the site. Apparently BL2 is going for $6, and some of the other DLC is going for cheap too. Regardless, I'm probably just going to wait until a "Complete Edition" comes out. I already won a copy of BL2 and regifted it because I didn't want to play it without the DLC.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I think we know for a fact, the least played game on steam

im3d5HRooDtkX.png

It has only one review too.
I'm seeing 3 player reviews, this one is amazing:

"On the black tide I washed ashore on these uncharted rocks. I wonder now if I had drowned and awoken in Sheol, for find myself among only devils of the abyss. In the night, I hear their drums, the arrhythmic pounding when they sacrifice to their cruel gods. I dare not venture inland. I make camp on the desolate sands, for the jungle is awash with rot. Miasmic and pulsating, it calls to me, but I will not follow. It is a festering wound. It stinks of corruption.

There are no ships on the horizon. No sails to be seen. I hunt crabs on the beach, without much success. The thirst is maddening. I crack fallen coconuts against the rocks, sucking them dry like marrow from bone. Soft flesh or putrid milk, I gag and choke it down.

I collect the shell fragments. I use them for jewelry, fashioning necklaces and armbands. I decorate my camp. I bring civilization to a place of savagery. I piled rocks by the firepit and called it a throne—for having carved out an existence here, am I not queen of this forsaken shore?

The natives grow restless. Savage shades who harbour only murder in their hearts. They know I am here. They are hunting. They are coming. From a smashed coconut I dab war paint on my face. Run my fingers down my axe, squeezing the handle. These are my rocks. These are my palms. They are coming. They are coming.

I am the coconut queen."

Goli

Can Don´t Starve be considered a part of whatever genre games like Minecraft or Terraria are? Because if it is, it´s the first of that genre I *get.* I played both Minecraft and Terraria before and they´re similar to Don´t Starve in that you have to get resources to build and make your own stuff, but I never got the appeal in either of those two, yet in Don´t Starve it all seems to make sense.

Deadly Premonition is 7.5 &#8364; on GOG compared to the 10 &#8364; of the Steam version (in case it hits 60 % on a Daily/Flash, 12.5 right now), but I want everything on Steam. WHY ARE THERE SO MANY PLACES TO CHOOSE FROM?

Buy it.

_hekk05

Banned
I'm seeing 3 player reviews, this one is amazing:

"On the black tide I washed ashore on these uncharted rocks. I wonder now if I had drowned and awoken in Sheol, for find myself among only devils of the abyss. In the night, I hear their drums, the arrhythmic pounding when they sacrifice to their cruel gods. I dare not venture inland. I make camp on the desolate sands, for the jungle is awash with rot. Miasmic and pulsating, it calls to me, but I will not follow. It is a festering wound. It stinks of corruption.

There are no ships on the horizon. No sails to be seen. I hunt crabs on the beach, without much success. The thirst is maddening. I crack fallen coconuts against the rocks, sucking them dry like marrow from bone. Soft flesh or putrid milk, I gag and choke it down.

I collect the shell fragments. I use them for jewelry, fashioning necklaces and armbands. I decorate my camp. I bring civilization to a place of savagery. I piled rocks by the firepit and called it a throne—for having carved out an existence here, am I not queen of this forsaken shore?

The natives grow restless. Savage shades who harbour only murder in their hearts. They know I am here. They are hunting. They are coming. From a smashed coconut I dab war paint on my face. Run my fingers down my axe, squeezing the handle. These are my rocks. These are my palms. They are coming. They are coming.

I am the coconut queen."

I know I'm hyped. Is the game good? lol

Alright GAF, GMG has Half Life 2 and HL2 Ep. 1 and 2 on sale and I could get all for under $10-
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/om/en/pc/games/action/half-life-2-episode-1/
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/om/en/pc/games/action/half-life-2-episode-2/
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/om/en/pc/games/action/half-life-2/

As I only want HL2, do I need any other DLC or HL2 stuff missing from GMG?

Get the Orange Box. It was $4, last I checked.

EDIT: It's $20 at present. Wait to see if it goes on sale again.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Alright GAF, GMG has Half Life 2 and HL2 Ep. 1 and 2 on sale and I could get all for under $10-
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/om/en/pc/games/action/half-life-2-episode-1/
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/om/en/pc/games/action/half-life-2-episode-2/
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/om/en/pc/games/action/half-life-2/

As I only want HL2, do I need any other DLC or HL2 stuff missing from GMG?

There's also HL2: Lost Coast, a sort of proof-of-concept level designed to show off Source's then-new HDR lighting support, but it comes with HL2 proper.

elhav

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Battlefield 3 -- MB-4A30825387A81C11 - Taken by angular graphics. 13 entrants total.
Little inferno -- MB-8EAD767B0624D000 - Taken by NotSelf. 4 entrants total.
Mirror's edge -- MB-534AC0B76480E281 - Taken by Maddocks. 6 entrants total.
Gemini rue -- MB-5FD7E1D36D5A20C5 - Taken by Red Blaster. 14 entrants total.
Crysis 2 Maximum edition -- MB-F1CA7C42BB1232EC - Taken by freakk5. 4 entrants total.
Serious sam 3: BFE -- MB-1C02B07C97C88CCF - Taken by theMrCravens. 8 entrants total.

t1388253591z1.png

Tizoc

So I saw. It might go back on sale again.

On Steam? Maybe.

FYI I'm not that into multiplayer and just want HL2's SP campaign. Might just get Ep. 1 and 2 off GMG based on what Jase posted...or should I wait for Steam to put the Orange Box as a daily/flash deal?

Decisions, decisions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom