• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Okay, I have decided to spend today tackling Christmas specific achievements.
• Electronic Super Joy

I tried to get that, I gave up on the first level because I suck too much at the game.

Could you tell me about Hammerwatch? Are the presents just randomly showing in any level?

Sullichin

Really loving DmC. I'm a heathen who hasn't played other games in the series though. I do have DMC4 on Steam to check out after this.

DmC looks and runs great except some of the self shadows are really blocky/dithered.

The-Bean

Anyone who's interested in 4X should pick up Endless Space if it goes on sale again. Already played 13 hours. Seems a little overwhelming at first compared to Civilization V but I feel like I've got a pretty good understanding of the mechanics now. Fantastic soundtrack too [which you can find in the game folder].

Turfster

How so, is it too hard? I heard about difficulty spikes.

It has some really bullshit difficulty spikes.
I gave up on it in the castle where you have like half an inch of space between spikes on a roof and an acid pool and you need to airdoublejump between disappearing platforms.

Garcia

Here's what I have completed on previous years.

• Cave Story
• EDGE
• Left 4 Dead 2 (Gift Grab)
• Psychonauts
• Revenge of the Titans (x5)
• Spiral Knights
• Toki Tori

Hopefully none of these take TOO long, since I want to play some more Ys Celceta.

Awesome game is SO awesome and more people should buy it. :)

Dec

Any impressions on PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate?

I played a ton of it on PS3 like 5 years ago or whatever and remember it extremely fondly. I liked how towers leveled up when you stood inside them, rather than just more gold. Booking around the level as fast as possible when you needed to leave to get back to your most important tower.

I've been very interested to try the PC version but I haven't been able to justify the cost. I wouldn't play it alone so I'd probably buy two copies to play with my SO.

Did the price on Resodent evil 6 go up? Lol it was 11.99 yesterday and 14.99 now and the daily isn't over.

Edit. It's back now. Must have been a glitch.

The game is very long, and it can drag quite a bit during the middle the portion. Boss fights also wear out their welcome in length at times. And if I recall correctly, there's a mechanic similar to DmC, where you have to use either ability A or B to damage certain enemies. (I.e. Light-infused whip vs dark-infused) The locales are also pretty repetitive.Though it's been awhile since I played on the 360.

It's alright overall, but you're better off playing God of War if possible.
Also, the platforming is absolutely terrible at times.

bogg

What's wrong with it? I bought it a few days ago but haven't started it up yet.

At best there are small parts of the game that are ok, but most of the game is either boring, average, or straight up bad.
Anything that have to do with platforming is crap because the controls are bad, and the combat is a sub-par version of God of War.
I will say that the art style is good, some great character design and some of the environments looks really good (mainly the vampire castle stuff).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I played a ton of it on PS3 like 5 years ago or whatever and remember it extremely fondly. I liked how towers leveled up when you stood inside them, rather than just more gold. Booking around the level as fast as possible when you needed to leave to get back to your most important tower.

I've been very interested to try the PC version but I haven't been able to justify the cost. I wouldn't play it alone so I'd probably buy two copies to play with my SO.

Thanks. It has been a game I have always been mildly interested in. I might take the plunge now. Not sure what price you are looking for, but GMG has the PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate and Shooter Bundle for $3.60 with 20% off code.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh yeah the benchmark. Didn't even think of that.
Recall someone saying that the benchmark is more picky than the actual game so guess it wouldn't hurt to try.
Benchmark is more picky than the actual game. Benchmark put me in the position that I'd only be able to run the game at 35-50 FPS, but the actual game for me runs flawless 60 FPS.

Zeliard

Cool, thanks for the Castlevania: LoS impressions. Curious to see what it's all about once I start it.

Volgarr is hard :(

Make sure you bind roll-dodge and especially the spear to individual buttons (I use circle/B for rolling and triangle/Y for the spear). It isn't that way by default, and I'm not quite sure why. Don't get discouraged if you're having a rough time beating the first level, or even getting to the first checkpoint. That isn't too uncommon.

It may take you a while to become accustomed to the feel of it all, especially the jumping, since you have almost no air control (deliberately so).

But yes, the game doesn't mess around. :)

Awwww, I would've hopped on Dunder's competition (and lost) for a chance at free State of Decay. ^_^

Cool, thanks for the Castlevania: LoS impressions. Curious to see what it's all about once I start it.

Make sure you bind roll-dodge and especially the spear to individual buttons (I use circle/B for rolling and triangle/Y for the spear). It isn't that way by default, and I'm not quite sure why. Don't get discouraged if you're having a rough time beating the first level, or even getting to the first checkpoint.

It may take you a while to become accustomed to the feel of it all, especially the jumping, since you have almost no air control (deliberately so).

But yes, the game doesn't mess around. :)

Castlevania is competent but not great.
With Volgarr, you call it a roll dodge -- does it have invincibility frames? Cause I don't use it much... I have spear mapped to Y.

Jawmuncher

Benchmark is more picky than the actual game. Benchmark put me in the position that I'd only be able to run the game at 35-50 FPS, but the actual game for me runs flawless 60 FPS.

I was all for going for the benchmark but its a whole gb in size.
With the internet I have that's a lot of work for a maybe. I think i'll have my sister send me RE5 and RE6 on a HDD since she can copy the steamapps folder. one of those are bound to work decently on this thing.

Quikies83

Gaf, DMC or Castlevania LOS?
I've only played DMC3 and thought it was just okay... I do enjoy this style of air combo combat though -- like Bayonetta and others.

Jawmuncher

I've only played DMC3 and thought it was just okay... I do enjoy this style of air combo combat though -- like Bayonetta and others.

DmC definitely has more air combat over Castlevania if that's a huge selling factor.
Castlevania is basically God of War. As for DmC what did you find ok about it?
DmC is kind of it's own thing and a lot easier gameplay wise than DMC3 if that was an issue.

Dec

Thanks. It has been a game I have always been mildly interested in. I might take the plunge now. Not sure what price you are looking for, but GMG has the PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate and Shooter Bundle for $3.60 with 20% off code.

I meant the price on release ($17 two pack) was too much, honestly I forgot about the PC release completely before I saw your post.

I just have steam credit but that $8.49 for the two pack is pretty tempting. I might grab it on the last day.

Jawmuncher

Over the new one??

DMC4 depends on what you liked about DMC3.
It has better gameplay than DMC3 since the combat is even more expanded but the story is really lacking. I can't see you enjoying DMC4 if you only though 3 was okay (Which if you account for both story and gameplay is the best of the series).

Quikies83

DmC definitely has more air combat over Castlevania if that's a huge selling factor.
Castlevania is basically God of War. As for DmC what did you find ok about it?
DmC is kind of it's own thing and a lot easier gameplay wise than DMC3 if that was an issue.

Glad you said that.. Honestly not too big on the GoW style, QTE combat.

DmC it is.

You will do more "air combat" in DmC (note the capitalization, it's very important. :p). DmC is really kind of a action game meets musou game (think Dynasty Warriors), IMO. For about $10 each, you can't really go wrong... but if you want something more along the lines of Bayonetta, especially for aerial combat, would probably be DMC4 (but I'm biased). MGR:R, which comes out in under 2 weeks, is better than both of these games as well and was my GOTY for 2013. It might be my favorite action game of all time.

You can roll through most enemies and then attack them from behind. It can be pretty useful against the skeletons on world 3.

Just added you on Steam, I think. I've only made it to world 2, but sounds like it could be useful for rolling past the fish pokers. :lol

I KNEW I LIKED YOU FOR A REASON!
It's cause you're real fuckin Nito. ;)

Tizoc

Jack Keane 2 is $5 on GMG when using the discount code if anyone's interested.

Also I'm in need of the following cards to complete my badge:
Snow Globe #1
Snow Globe #8

I have the following spares:
1 SG #2
1 SG #4
2 SG #6
1 SG #7
3 SG #9
1 SG #10

Anyone care to help out please?

I liked Castlevania more than DMC. Bayonnetta is probably up there with the top games of all time for me, and neither of those games come close in terms of combat. If you didn't like the combat in DMC 3, you probably won't like the more simple version of it in the reboot. Not to say Lords of Shadow has amazing combat, but in this situation i'll take the better version of God of War combat over the poorer version of Devil May Cry combat.

I also think that the atomsphere in Castlevania is really neat, while almost everything surrounding DMC is kind of off putting. Castlevania is kind of a slog at first though.

Sullichin

For what it's worth, Castlevania: LOS made a really bad first impression on me and played like a less interesting God of War, and I think DmC is pretty great off the bat.

bogg

Lords of Shadow is not worth your time.
Between DMC and DMC4, it mostly depends on what kind of combat do you like, DMC have a simplified version of DMC3/DMC4 combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom