• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannerbot

With Volgarr, you call it a roll dodge -- does it have invincibility frames? Cause I don't use it much... I have spear mapped to Y.

The roll doesn't truly have invincibility frames, you can use it to get through enemy bodies but not enemy attacks (though you can get under certain ones, of course).

I never used roll much at all in the first two worlds. The fish poker guys I mostly just speared or downward stabbed. The green ones don't move so they're easy to kill with anything, the blue ones like to jump over your spear but you can spear them on their downward trajectory, and the red sliding guys can be downward stabbed pretty effectively (and occasionally speared if you're lined up right).

Also, boss of world 2 can be kind of an asshole, though like everyone else he has a pattern you can suss out. It's just an annoying one. The world 3 boss is like 10x easier. :p

Also if you're having a really tough time, hunt around the levels for Mjolnir's power. Seeeecrets.

While Volgarr seems at first to be a pretty slow-paced game, there's actually a ton of animation cancels you can do to speed it up. For example, you can cancel a roll into a jump and subsequent double jump if timed right, you can cancel spear throws into rolls into jumps/attacks to cancel the recovery animation, and you can throw a spear, jump, and throw a spear to get a very quick double spear off. It's worth playing around with all of that, and tons of fun!

And since you didn't mention using the shield at all, it's worth noting that a lot of the attacks in the game can be blocked if you have your shield up, which just means that you're facing the attacker and aren't actively attacking. For example, you can block the red mermen's sliding attack by holding down and then kill them after they bounce off of you.

And finally, yeah, the Mjolnir's Power secrets are worth finding. They're marked by little axes in the ground; if you see one, then there's destructible terrain somewhere nearby.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
hmm

I don't know if I should buy Rise of the Owlverlord.

I enjoy what I've played of Giana Sisters but I'm not close to finishing.

I voted Nascar.

My brother in-law just got into pc gaming and loves Nascar so don't murder me.

fb0.jpg

I want to thank GraveHorizon for the giveaway that i won. I dont usually enter mystery giveaways lest I end up with Bad Rats in my Library. I must haven entered this one by mistake instead of some other giveaway i meant to enter. Worked out great though! Not only was it NOT Bad Rats, it actually was Kane and Lynch 2 which is a game i've been interested in for awhile.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how can you see how much youve made in the market, i would love to see that

nbraun80

So I'm fairly new to buying on steam, is this basically how it works? I can only level up by making badges, I can only make badges by getting cards, I can only get a full set of cards through trading and buying, and I can only start doing so after I wait a month.

Grief.exe

So I was reading the 'Best Games of the Generation That No One Played' thread and saw a couple of awesome JRPGs from Sega.

These came out before they started their big push for the platform, but I would love to see both Valkyria Chronicles and Resonance of Fate on PC.

What can we do to get these two releases on PC? Who do we have to bother at Sega for all of these and Bayonetta, Vanquish, etc?

Valkyria Chronicles

Valkyria_cover.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Gonna be honest with you guys. NASCAR is actually a really fun game. It's very gamey rather than racing simmy, so even if you only have a mild interest in actual racing/racing sims, as long as you enjoy arcade racers and stuff you'd probably enjoy it a lot.

MiKeD

Banned
So I'm fairly new to buying on steam, is this basically how it works? I can only level up by making badges, I can only make badges by getting cards, I can only get a full set of cards through trading and buying, and I can only start doing so after I wait a month.

This has my interest too. I'm completely new and have no idea what people are talking about when it comes to cards and crafting badges and stuff..

Arthea

Yup, you are right on all accounts.

edited: forgot most important thing, in order to use steam marked you have to buy at least one game on steam, not sure 1 game is enough, but most likely it is.

Mesoian

What can we do to get these two releases on PC? Who do we have to bother at Sega for all of these and Bayonetta, Vanquish, etc?

We simply won't. According to sega, these properties "Simply aren't profitable for worldwide consumption", which is BS but the story their sticking with.

Arthea

Gonna be honest with you guys. NASCAR is actually a really fun game. It's very gamey rather than racing simmy, so even if you only have a mild interest in actual racing/racing sims, as long as you enjoy arcade racers and stuff you'd probably enjoy it a lot.

IDK, somehow after GT5, I'm reluctant to buy a NASCAR game (><)

Kinyou

So I was reading the 'Best Games of the Generation That No One Played' thread and saw a couple of awesome JRPGs from Sega.

These came out before they started their big push for the platform, but I would love to see both Valkyria Chronicles and Resonance of Fate on PC.

Valkyria Chronicles isn't even available as digital download on PSN :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dark Souls Durante Edition... are they referring to NeoGAF's Durante? That is really cool if so. Great raffle btw, really hard to pick which game to enter for, since all of them are highly recommended.

the game is actually not called that :)

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
IDK, somehow after GT5, I'm reluctant to buy a NASCAR game (><)

Why would that be? Just because they're both games where you race cars?
They're pretty near opposite sides of the spectrum as racing sims go. (I'd still call NASCAR a racing sim, but it's just a very arcadey racing sim. And it's all the better for that, imo.)

Also, I'm not trying to say NASCAR is a must-buy, it's just an enjoyable racing game.

nbraun80

Yup, you are right on all accounts.

edited: forgot most important thing, in order to use steam marked you have to buy at least one game on steam, not sure 1 game is enough, but most likely it is.

Thanks, wanted to get my damn cards for voting, but I can buy cards on the market til Jan. :(. And yeah you're edit is right, I made an account months ago but only started buying during this sale so I have to still wait a month.

An-Det

Van Helsing won't let me use KB/M unless I unplug my controller. C'mon, this can't be a hard thing to implement.

A bit late, but I'm playing Skyrim right now and it does the same thing. The second time I booted it I thought something was broken until I tried removing the controller.

Arthea

I already stated that Sega needs to get their shit together, these games would do good on steam, all of them and let's not forget Yakuza, even for a moment.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I'd buy Valkyria Chronicles so quickly. That series feels like it could do decently on PC too.

Then again, I'd also buy PSO2 if that was an option. Unfortunately it's both free and not officially available in English.

Arthea

Why would that be? Just because they're both games where you race cars?
They're pretty near opposite sides of the spectrum as racing sims go. (I'd still call NASCAR a racing sim, but it's just a very arcadey racing sim. And it's all the better for that, imo.)

Also, I'm not trying to say NASCAR is a must-buy, it's just an enjoyable racing game.

no (><)
There are NASCAR series in GT5 and it didn't make GT5 better.

I'll think about it.

Grief.exe

I'd buy Valkyria Chronicles so quickly. That series feels like it could do decently on PC too.

Strategy RPG? Would sell like hotcakes outside of Gaben's kitchen.

I already stated that Sega needs to get their shit together, these games would do good on steam, all of them and let's not forget Yakuza, even for a moment.

Can't forget Yakuza, though Sega has forgotten the property exists outside of Japan.

You know, you could do a digital-only release, save significantly on distribution costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom