• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlchoi

Neo Member
EDIT - registered on Steam, and Steam now says I have Fallout NV - but not the Ultimate Edition ?

If you right click on New Vegas in your library and select "View Downloadable Content" you should see all the DLC in there.

There isn't a separate entry for the base game vs. the Ultimate Edition as there is with Fallout 3 and its GOTY edition.

Volimar

what's cracking, playas.

3qTVbxD.jpg

What we all look like by the end of holiday steam sale.

Hagi

Only available through the in-game store which means you'll be paying way too much. ME3 is the same.

The Mass Effect 2 DLC is only available through the Bioware Social Network. And Bioware points are never on sale. :/

giphy.gif

I think, correct me anyone if I'm wrong, you can get them through your Live account if you bought them through XBLA.

You'd have to unlock them through BioWare/EA though by connecting your Live account.

I hope this is true as i did have them on the 360. I need my Kasumi!?! Fucking Bioware.

Kicking myself for missing the Long Live the Queen flash sale, if my money wasnt tied up in my Steam Wallet i'd probably pick it up at the creator's site.

Oh well, 'theres-always-another-sale.jpg-

mannerbot

I got Spelunky and it's very nice game

the only thing I don't like about it is sometimes control are confusing

for example you automatically grab the ledge by moving towards, but for the lianas/ropes you have to press up or you will simply fly through them

or you go up a ladder reaching a platform, you are on the top, platform is exactly on your side but you can't go left/right, you need to jump

I think it's counterintuitive and can cause frustrating deaths

I am at second world (jungle), any tips to kill/distract piranas ?

To the contrary, I think that the way ropes work is absolutely intuitive (why wouldn't you hold up to grab onto one?) and I prefer it to games where you automatically latch on as sometimes you don't want to. Piranhas will stop chasing you if you jump out of the water, and you can whip them pretty easily once you learn the timing.

Triggaaar

Neo Member
If you right click on New Vegas in your library and select "View Downloadable Content" you should see all the DLC in there.
Thank you! What's confusing, is that if I go to buy FNV on Steam, it says I can't buy it for myself, as I already own it - but if I tried to buy the Ultimate addition, it would let me (leading me to believe I had the standard version).

KarmaCow

Has Q-Games said anything about bringing over Pixel Junk Shooter 2? I've enjoyed my time with it so far, it's a fairly unique puzzle-ly game. There is some choice and room to fail beyond being sloppy in the second world now as well as some timing based stuff. Usually I don't like timing based stuff in puzzle games but they're usually lenient and there is a fair checkpoint system to mitigate the usual problem of execution too important instead of planning. The collectibles kinda suck though, it makes levels into tedious affairs, combing through levels making sure to turn over every rock. Using the lava gun is also pretty annoying since the physics simulation means a bead of lava can roll down your stream of lava and onto your ship.

Alright, Earth Defense Force! I've heard of it but never played it.

It looks pretty wicked, but is it actually good? Reviews don't seem too hot on it so what makes it stand out?

Also, is this the newest one on PC?

I dont think that this is the newest one. And i played the game for 30 hours and can confirm that this is a funny game.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I hope this is true as i did have them on the 360. I need my Kasumi!?! Fucking Bioware.

So I checked, and only the promotional items (i.e. pre-order bonuses like pre-built armor sets and the weapons) seem to count. Zaeed is on there, as is the Normandy Plaque mission, can't remember if those were part of the pre-order/collector's edition stuff.

The important stuff like Kasumi, Shadow Broker, Overlord, Arrival...is not cross-buy.

Waiting for one of the regular BST Steam sellers to have Spelunky at a reduced rate.

Bought it for $12 on my Vita, dev has my money, just want it on PC now. :)

Was gifted Sleeping Dogs, so...

Day 1:
CS: GO
Ballpoint Universe
Dishonored GOTY
BL2 XMAS DLC
You Don't Know Jack! Movies
You Don't Know Jack! Television
You Don't Know Jack! 1 + 2 + 3
Super House of Dead Ninjas
Shelter
Electronic Super Joy

Day 2:
FF7

Day 4:
Eldritch

Day 5:
Super Hexagon

Day 6:
Terraria

Day 7:
Guacamelee
Cook, Serve, Delicious!
Shpelunky
Risk of Rain

Day 11:
Long Live The Queen
Nightmare in North Point

Need more reviews of Risk of Rain, pls.
Here's what I had to say about it a little while back: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93393265&postcount=11532
So I sunk about two dozen hours into Risk of Rain over the last couple of weeks and I don't think I like it very much. I don't see myself going back to it for very long and what I got out of it hasn't left me satisfied. The OT calls it a side-scrolling Binding of Isaac, and I see elements of that in it as well as Super House of Dead Ninjas which I both enjoyed, so I started to think as to what put me off on RoR.

For starters, it's a game where most of your options are locked out at the start; you only have access to a single class and the pool of items you can possibly stumble upon in a given playthrough is small. You have to complete various challenges within a playthrough to gradually unlock everything, and Binding of Isaac is similar up to that point, but where they diverge is Isaac's scope starts off small. When you just start BoI your full playthroughs aren't very long, and each subsequent playthrough unlocks more and more of the dungeon to get through and as you gain more items and characters to use, the game itself gets longer and your end goal extends as a result; the game naturally opens up to you and never feels limited, you start off with a shorter success cycle and expand it from there. In Risk of Rain the scope of the game never changes; from the start you're playing through the same number of stages and enemy types and are just given less to work with.

Now Super House of Dead Ninjas approaches unlocks in the same manner as RoR, and I'd say it's still pretty annoying there, but where Super House makes it more tolerable to play from the start is its combat. Whether you're starting the game fresh or have all the upgrades and potential item drops, the combat is fast and frenetic throughout and the basics never really change. RoR is more contingent on continually accruing items and wearing down increasingly spongy enemies with pure spam while kiting around, so it does end up being more of a slog to jump through the hoops to unlock more. The combat ends up feeling shallow because of its reliance on items and mindlessly wailing on enemies, MMO-ish in that your skills are tied to cooldowns as well.

I think one of the biggest flaws with RoR is its level design, in that the level geometry is always static. Spawns for everything -- crates, teleporter, enemies, yourself -- are randomized, but the actual structure of the level itself remains identical every playthrough. You play through five stages in a playthrough (barring you don't choose to loop back before the final level), and stages three and four (possibly two as well, I can't quite remember) have two variants that you can come across, but the static nature of them is true across the board. So for all the replayability the game tries to promote, actually playing through it quickly gets repetitive.

Oh and Dice, don't even think about touching the game there's an ever present difficulty increase tied to a persistent timer which is the game's way of limiting you from just farming a stage for all it's worth. You'd hate it.

I guess what the game has going for it over the two games I compare it to is its online multiplayer, and I generally felt the game was balanced towards it. And multiplayer in general makes tedious design more tolerable on the whole, so I can see my complaints above being handwaved just by having another person or three there.

I can see where it's fun, I just didn't think it was very much for me. It's a game that you get more of playing in co-op than solo, and it feels very much like a game that tries to condense the sense of character progression in the RPG sense into a single session. Personally, I found the game kind of boring; accruing items until you are effectively invincible and spamming your abilities tied to cooldowns.

The lack of proper controller support is really killing Mass Effect on PC for me. It's just not the same. Think I'll just replay the Xbox versions someday.

Vyer

I just bought Dust, Swapper, Euro Truck and Spelunky. I had a few bucks in my steam wallet so it all cost me about 17 bucks.

I love you Steam sales.

Lain

Here's what I had to say about it a little while back: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93393265&postcount=11532

I can see where it's fun, I just didn't think it was very much for me. It's a game that you get more of playing in co-op than solo, and it feels very much like a game that tries to condense the sense of character progression in the RPG sense into a single session. Personally, I found the game kind of boring; accruing items until you are effectively invincible and spamming your abilities tied to cooldowns.

From what you describe, it sounds like something I wouldn't have too much fun with, so that plus the 33% only discount means I can happily pass on it (and bump the game down on my wish list).

NewFresh

People have been so generous with me. Time to share some more love.

To all those people asking about Capsized...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Capsized -- MB-EBA5D3518225DA67 - Taken by Majukun. 11 entrants total.

t1388348592z1.png

PixelJunk Eden Steam + GMG Pixeljunk Shooter / Monsters Steam Pack, all for ~$4.60

WIN. Hope a lot of people get it so we can get more pixel junk stuff.

mannerbot

Ah, that's what I feared. Now I want to remove it from my wishlist again. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom