• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewFresh

I will trade globe for globe for any globe.
Valve ID is in my profile, just make me a globe trade offer and friend if necessary.

Currently have globes:

Will update this post with current globes. Will be here for a few hours at least.

I would love 2!

Wynnebeck

Banned
The lack of proper controller support is really killing Mass Effect on PC for me. It's just not the same. Think I'll just replay the Xbox versions someday.

I actually played ME1 and 2 on PC and switched to controller on ME3. Played it for an hour and went back to KB+M. Just felt like I had greater control.

KarmaCow

Need more reviews of Risk of Rain, pls.

I'm going to contrast it to Binding of Isaac since that seems to be popular thing to do and I'm lazy.

The general structure is start in an area, find the teleporter, activate it and survive until the teleporter finishes revving up as well as kill everything (including the boss that spawns when the teleporter is activated). The area is also littered with chest and capsules containing items, so there is a bit choice between getting powered up before tackling the area boss or rushing ahead before the difficulty gets too high. However, before you find the teleporter (and until it finishes revving up), enemies will continually spawn so best strategy is to find the teleporter right away. This is because longer the game session, the harder it will become and you can see the current difficulty on the top right. Chest also require money to open, which you get from killing enemies (and some capsules). Since you need to clear the level after revving up the teleporter anyways and money doesn't carry over between levels, spending time to farm up money at the start is a waste.

In short, it's less rogue-like-y BoI. Maps aren't really randomized, there are I think two variants of each level. Items are more stat modifiers of your abilities rather than things that augments or add to your own. There are also not as many "bad" or "great" items that can completely shape a playthrough. All this together makes every playthrough kinda the same. This is not really a knock, I still found the game fun but it's not something as replayable as BoI.

The variety comes from the classes, which you will have to unlock through specific challenges. They're not stat tweaks but characters with fairly different abilities. The general strategy is still the same, kite enemies but each class has a unique toolset. I haven't tried multiplayer but it seems like they could complement each other well.

Colin.

The price of the Snow Globe cards seems to be tanking. Average seems to be 10/11p at the moment. Guess there wont be much profit, once I have a set to sell. Has anyone here even got a rare item from crafting them? If so, how much was yours worth?

Majukun

I will trade globe for globe for any globe.
Valve ID is in my profile, just make me a globe trade offer and friend if necessary.

Currently have globes:

Will update this post with current globes. Will be here for a few hours at least.
sent you an offer,my #9 for your #2

LuffyZoro

I've really enjoyed Risk of Rain from what I've played of it. I can see some truth to what Rickenslaker said, but it doesn't interfere with my having fun.

I actually played ME1 and 2 on PC and switched to controller on ME3. Played it for an hour and went back to KB+M. Just felt like I had greater control.

I don't like playing with M + KB. I just enjoy a controller more, can't help it. Good thing I still have the Xbox versions of Mass Effect lying about.

Tellaerin

I'm sitting at 398 games.

histeria.gif

SO CLOSE

*bows politely* Might I suggest Secret of the Magic Crystal and Bad Rats, sah?

my damage so far
A.R.E.S.
BIT TRIP FATE
BIT TRIP RUNNER
BIT TRIP RUNNER 2
Bunny Must Die
DLC Quest
Dont Starve
Droid Assault
Dustforce
Rise of the Owlverlord
Left 4 Dead 2
Long Live The Queen
Metro 2033
Revenge of the Titans
Risen
Risk of Rain
Sacred Citadel
Skullgirls+Squiggly DLC
System Shock 2
Titan Attacks
Ultratron
-------------------------------------
my guaranteed remaining damage
Volgarr The Viking
Super House of Dead Ninjas+DLC
Recettear:An Item Shop's Tale
and if i can get 4.99 left over after the above are bought sales or otherwise
either Gundemonium Collection or Earthworm Jim Collection

I think, correct me anyone if I'm wrong, you can get them through your Live account if you bought them through XBLA.

You'd have to unlock them through BioWare/EA though by connecting your Live account.

I think you need to ask EA support, and they're not very happy to do it. The licenses you get from buying the Xbox versions are just that, licenses for the Xbox version.

For instance, this is my Licenses screen at BioWare social:

BjhlOVs.jpg

I've really enjoyed Risk of Rain from what I've played of it. I can see some truth to what Rickenslaker said, but it doesn't interfere with my having fun.
Yeah definitely, I wouldn't let my sole opinion sway anyone the other way as it seems like everyone else is singing its praises, but it just didn't leave much of an impression on me. Love the presentation of the game though, the aesthetic and music are wonderfully executed.

I'd recommend anyone curious about it to try the demo at least: http://www.indiedb.com/games/risk-of-rain/downloads/risk-of-rain-demo-v101

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Same. I'm in 17 hours and haven't stopped having fun with it.

Some of the other classes are really difficult to get a handle on. Monsoon difficulty is also really fucking hard if you don't have your game face on.

Not really feeling Spelunky. I'll give it more time, but it doesn't seem to be clicking with me yet.
I love it (and hate it) and I do agree it's got some brilliance to it, but I do think it's completely overrated. Primarily, I don't think the game gets the flak it should for the extremely narrow margin of error the player has for success, ie: you can play extremely well and be very careful and cognizant of everything around you, but you can take ONE hit from something and it'll juggle you into seven different things like a Rube Goldberg Device eventually into some kind of instant death (spikes, pits, etc.).

Platy

Damage So far :

Divekick
Deponia
Legend Of Dungeun
Rogue Legacy
Super Hexagon(x2)
Guacamelee
Don't Starve
Giana Sisters
PixelJunk Eden
Eletronic Super Joy
3DMark
Dust

R$12,63 (~ 6 dolars) left on the budget

Hoping for Runner 2 and Ms Splosion Man daily/flash deals

Tellaerin

Holy guacamole! Removed.

That was close.

To be fair, Bioware reworked the interface for kb/m in the PC versions of the ME games, and it's actually really good. (Some folks would go so far as to say that it's better than using a gamepad.) They didn't just skip the gamepad support and leave everything else the same.

chronomac

I haven't bought much at all since Christmas:

Tetrobot & Co. ($2.99)
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (gift)
Ms. Splosion Man (gift)
Bit.Trip.Runner 2 (gift)
Stacking (gift)
Peggle Deluxe (gift)
Hitman Absolution (gift)
Left 4 Dead 2 (free)
Tomb Raider (gift)

A friend of mine bought me Brothers, Ms. Splosion Man, Runner 2, Stacking and Peggle. Hitman and Tomb Raider were gifts here on GAF and Left 4 Dead 2 was free for everyone. Tetrobot was on sale at the Humble Store. I do have $10 in my Steam account so I'm waiting for something good.

Decker

To the contrary, I think that the way ropes work is absolutely intuitive (why wouldn't you hold up to grab onto one?) and I prefer it to games where you automatically latch on as sometimes you don't want to. Piranhas will stop chasing you if you jump out of the water, and you can whip them pretty easily once you learn the timing.

well I find sometimes controls do not match what you would expect to do

for the lianas, for example, they are sometimes set in parallel above spikes so when you jump from one to another you have to keep pressing up, but at the same time as soon up as you catch one, your character starts moving up and sometimes it's not what you want to do, but you do that anyway because of the risk of falling on spikes

if you automatically grab a ledge, why not a liana ?

moreover to grab stairs/liana you can just go up, if you press down you will go through it

so, for example, if you want to jump on a liana and go down you have first to jump, press up, then down

I understand your point, in other games but also here it could cause some annoying situations (first coming to my mind is trying to escape from ghost and being slowed down because character keep grabbing liana), but they could just set option for:

1) automatically grab stairs/liana when jumping
2) automatically grab ledge when jumping

another example that I find counterintuitive is that when you duck you can't use the whip

anyway I don't want to bash this game or discourage people from playing it

buy Spelunky if you haven't already, it's a very nice and addictive game

derExperte

To be fair, Bioware reworked the interface for kb/m in the PC version, and it's actually really good. (Some folks would go so far as to say that it's better than using a gamepad.) They didn't just skip the gamepad support and leave everything else the same.

Me for example, I mean if you're playing on the couch it's a problem but other than that I feel kb/m works best. And the console versions of ME1 (maybe 2, never tried) have many technical issues like totally unbearable load times.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
woa, Lego Marvel seems endless, I've been playing for 7 hours and I still have a lot to do
Yeah, I started playing it on the day it released and still haven't finished all the story missions. I'm doing it all in co-op, though. I think I would've finished it by now if I could play on my own time.
Streaming Nether for those that were curious.

http://www.twitch.tv/legacyzero

I love this game. Before work today, I got on the meanest server I've encountered so far. The safezone was full of gankers. I had a dude in a Deadpool mask stalk me the entire time, hiding behind vans and shit. I told him in chat that I could clearly see him crouching behind the van, but he just kept on trying to hide from me. He was terrible at it. I lost him in a building and safely dropped of my courier package. Silly little shithead.

Triggaaar

Neo Member
To be fair, Bioware reworked the interface for kb/m in the PC version, and it's actually really good. (Some folks would go so far as to say that it's better than using a gamepad.) They didn't just skip the gamepad support and leave everything else the same.
Ahhhhh!!!!!

'I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate.'

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I am going through every Steam game I either don't own or have wishlisted to see if there's anything I can add to my wishlist.

Momentary

Banned
I joined the Steam Family Sharing group, but how do I get invited to the beta? My younger brother has given up on console gaming and finished building his PC this weekend. I want to let him have access to my library of games.

Turfster

To be fair, Bioware reworked the interface for kb/m in the PC versions of the ME games, and it's actually really good. (Some folks would go so far as to say that it's better than using a gamepad.) They didn't just skip the gamepad support and leave everything else the same.

Since it's a console port, if they'd skipped the gamepad support and left everything else the same, there would be no input ;)

I love the Swapper but I also hate it because it made me realize that I have absolutely 0 ability to solve spatial puzzles. Holy shit, I had to look up solutions to almost a dozen puzzles and feel like such an idiot.

mannerbot

well I find sometimes controls do not match what you would expect to do

for the lianas, for example, they are sometimes set in parallel above spikes so when you jump from one to another you have to keep pressing up, but at the same time as soon up as you catch one, your character starts moving up and sometimes it's not what you want to do, but you do that anyway because of the risk of falling on spikes

if you automatically grab a ledge, why not a liana ?

moreover to grab stairs/liana you can just go up, if you press down you will go through it

so, for example, if you want to jump on a liana and go down you have first to jump, press up, then down

I understand your point, in other games but also here it could cause some annoying situations (first coming to my mind is trying to escape from ghost and being slowed down because character keep grabbing liana), but they could just set option for:

1) automatically grab stairs/liana when jumping
2) automatically grab ledge when jumping

another example that I find counterintuitive is that when you duck you can't use the whip

anyway I don't want to bash this game or discourage people from playing it

buy Spelunky if you haven't already, it's a very nice and addictive game

Hah, I don't know -- to me, if I was jumping from vine to vine above a pit of spikes, I'd be desperately trying to grab onto the vines as I swing by, and holding up the whole time just makes sense to me. The reason you can't whip while ducking is because that's the action to pick up items, of course, and Spelunky kind of has a lot of dedicated buttons already. But yeah, while the controls are perfect to me I can see why you might want a different setup, like a separate button for picking up items and an option to automatically latch on to ropes as you mentioned.

True, but it would've been nice to have options.

I love the Swapper but I also hate it because it made me realize that I have absolutely 0 ability to solve spatial puzzles. Holy shit, I had to look up solutions to almost a dozen puzzles and feel like such an idiot.

They're really challenging. I did manage to beat all of them without looking up a solution, but boy, it was really close sometimes, and I did curse while playing it. But it's a fantastic game. :)

Th daily deals are poo.

If you already own Spelunky and The Swapper, they might be. If you don't, they aren't. :)

Nabs

I joined the Steam Family Sharing group, but how do I get invited to the beta? My brother has given up on console gaming and finished building his PC this weekend. I want to let him have access to my library of games.

They don't send out emails to everyone, so you'll have to join the Steam client beta and keep an eye out for the "Manage family sharing & devices" button in the main Settings window.

The_Monk

Today I had a family member in here so I was showing him how Bic Picture Mode works and all that. He's pretty bad at playing games with a mouse and keyboard so I let him try a good game for that. Euro Truck Simulator, hehe. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom