• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacyzero

Banned
If I buy FO3:NVUE (whew!), do I have to mod it to get the best gaming experience or can I just play it straight out of the box, figuratively speaking?

It's playable as is. But the mod experience (especially better textures) only improves it exponentially.

Textures are VERY flat for the vanilla version. So I would recommend at least a texture upgrade, which is pretty easy.

Most PC ports don't come out at 50 or 60 unless they release in a pretty close time frame to consoles.

Then isn't that all the less reason for these companies to port it at this point? I'm not saying they shouldn't...I might buy a couple of those listed games. However, let's be realistic.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Could someone gift me Half-Life 2? Of course the game is cut in good old germany :(

mannerbot

Anybody grabbing Spelunky (for high score chasing) or Risk of Rain ( today, feel free to add me. My Steam profile link is in my GAF profile.

Anybody who hasn't grabbed them today but still has them, feel free to do the same. But maybe not if you're too good at Spelunky. I like being at the top of my friends list.

Added you, I don't play the dailies and don't like playing for score anyway. :)
I think that my high is like 700k+ though? Should've been a million easy but I forgot to get the Hedjet... haha

Added you my man.

Anyone interested send an invite my way as well.

Sent you a FR too, nice to add people with such impeccable taste in games!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Anybody grabbing Spelunky (for high score chasing) or Risk of Rain ( today, feel free to add me. My Steam profile link is in my GAF profile.

Anybody who hasn't grabbed them today but still has them, feel free to do the same. But maybe not if you're too good at Spelunky. I like being at the top of my friends list.

Added you my man.

Honest question: do you actually think they'll sell well, or is that just wishful thinking? Do you think enough PC gamers will plunk down 50 or 60 bucks for an unproven PC port of a three year old game whose sequel is exclusive to the Wii U, to use one of your examples, that it will be worth their effort?

Of course not at 50 or 60. That would be stupid.

But if it's priced reasonably then absolutely.

Look at Mortal Kombat, look at Dark Souls, look at Metal Gear Rising.

I think I'll continue to hold off on Sir, You Are Being Hunted. Backlog and all of that. The quirkiness has had me interested since I first heard of it.

Anyone who hasn't gone in on Gunpoint needs to do so.

As for the Swapper... still on the fence. It looks like it is up my alley, but I just went in on Risk of Rain, and I'm pretty excited about playing that. In-law-apalooza just ended so the time is nigh to get some gaming in.

Hubb

Then isn't that all the less reason for these companies to port it at this point? I'm not saying they shouldn't...I might buy a couple of those listed games. However, let's be realistic.

Not really. The game is already there, the only costs they have is the actual porting and "opportunity costs". If it wasn't profitable then we wouldn't see a number of companies start porting some of their games to PC that have never been on PC before.

marrec

Banned
Alright, I'm getting Heroes VI, the question is do I spring for the complete or just get the 'gold' edition.

Anyone know if Danse Macabre is worth it?

manhack

So what is the consensus on RTW II and COH 2? I loved both of the original games but I haven't heard much about these sequel's.

RTW II is a buggy mess.

COH 2 is a good game, especially if you liked the 1st. It still has some tweaking to do. It can't stand up to the original yet in terms of content since the original has had 2 expansions and years of balance tweaks.

liezryou

Your welcome! Amazing game. Lemme know if the link doesn't work right, though, and I'll gift it through Steam.

Also, the DLC is pretty good too. Dead Money is a real treat.

I'd buy it quicker than shit. Also, it seems PC ports for games have been doing pretty good lately, reading that thread. I hear MGR is already doing a great job, and it's not out yet.

Worked just fine!

There are more, FF games foe example, or if you count ARPGs, Ys games and even some indies. But tLR is a really good game, it's one of the best JRPGs we had this gen, steam or not.

thanks all will wait for last day and buy it :) who knows might be a flash deal :)

rybrad

How far ahead of your friends list are you usually? No one on my friends list has even finished the game so the friends comparison is basically useless for me when looking t leaderboards, sadly.

denx

mm why? Mortal Kombat, KOF 13, MGR and Castlevania are late ports that have a price point between the 20 and 30 dollars mark and they have sold well. I don't think these companies would be porting these games if they weren't making some good money out of it.

nbraun80

Updated.

hsZ7JSH.jpg

Capsized any good anyone?

legacyzero

Banned
Starbound, WHY DO YOU TEMPT ME SO.

I wanna buy in so bad, but I just know I'm gonna pay full price, only for it to get a sale right after.

And I keep missing out on giveaways LOL

Rising Storm is AMAZING! Totally worth $5. Don't expect your average twitch shooter though. Very tactical in nature.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I think that my high is like 800k+ though? Should've been a million easy but I forgot to get the Hedjet... haha

I don't do too much high score running either, haven't done much ghost mining at all. Most of my time recently has been trying to get the speedlunky/low score achievements. My best was getting to 3-2 with 0 gold and under 3 minutes, but then it went all rotten real quick. Or, it went Spelunky.

How far ahead of your friends list are you usually? No one on my friends list has even finished the game so the friends comparison is basically useless for me when looking t leaderboards, sadly.

I only had one friend who had beaten the game, and he hasn't gotten to Hell. So I had about twice his all-time high score. I just beat hell a few weeks ago for the first time.

Myshkin

See this post instead: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95177077&postcount=14613

Anyone looking for Snow Globe #2, #3, #5,
I will trade globe for globe for any globe, just PM me.let's make this easier, friend offer to my Valve ID in my profile, then make any globe trade offer.

Currently have globes #2, #4, #6

Reminder, people, those globes expire Jan 3, 11am Pacific. The system will be overloaded; don't expect to actually be able to make any trades on Jan 3, or even Jan 2.

Grief.exe

Honest question: do you actually think they'll sell well, or is that just wishful thinking? Do you think enough PC gamers will plunk down 50 or 60 bucks for an unproven PC port of a three year old game whose sequel is exclusive to the Wii U, to use one of your examples, that it will be worth their effort?

More likely the initial cost would be 20-30.

MGR spent the first 48 hours at the top of the sale page, I don't think its a stretch to believe that bayonetta would have similar success.
It would be win/win for Plat/Nintendo/Sega/Consumers. Sega and Platinum see revenues for decades, Nintendo builds awareness and a larger fanbase for the sequel, and we get our game.

Something like Valkyria Chronicles and Vanquish would be easy to see how well those would do on the platform, particularly the former.

RoF won't happen, but I just found out about the game yesterday and it's awesome.

mannerbot

I only had one friend who had beaten the game, and he hasn't gotten to Hell. So I had about twice his all-time high score. I just beat hell a few weeks ago for the first time.

Looks like I just dethroned you, but only barely as it was just an Olmec kill. Good motivation for you!

I don't do too much high score running either, haven't done much ghost mining at all. Most of my time recently has been trying to get the speedlunky/low score achievements. My best was getting to 3-2 with 0 gold and under 3 minutes, but then it went all rotten real quick. Or, it went Spelunky.

Speedlunky isn't bad, but I spent 30 hours on Low Scorer alone after choking it away many times, haha. Good luck!

_hekk05

Banned
I will trade globe for globe for any globe, just PM me.

Reminder, people, those globes expire Jan 3, 11am Pacific. The system will be overloaded; don't expect to actually be able to make any trades on Jan 3, or even Jan 2.

I expect the market to start crashing on jan 2. I'll then buy and craft a bunch in the hope of a rare dota 2 item i guess.

Yeah, modding Bethesda's games has gotten so streamlined by the community that just about anyone can do it; the hardest part is just finding what mods you want in the first place. First you'll want to grab a mod manager, you really have two choices here. The Nexus Mod Manager or Mod Organizer, of which I recommend the later. Mod Organizer has the benefit of not touching your actual installation, instead creating a virtual directory out of the mods installed elsewhere. Don't worry about them being on the Skyrim Nexus either, they work for all Beth games. You'll probably want to grab BOSS to handle your plugin load order as well. There's more utilities you may want to get, but they're more specialized and as I'm more familiar with Skyrim modding I can't go into deeper detail, but there should be tons of New Vegas modding guides out there.

Once you have your mod manager of choice installed you simply can look around on the Nexus for mods you want, and when you find one use the "install with manager" button which will download the mod through your mod manager from where you can then install it to either your data folder (with NMM) or a specified mod folder (MO). Look for ones with high endorsements, as they're the ones more people have used and thus are less likely to be completely broken (not impossible for a highly rated mod to be broken though, so be wary). Manually searching can be tedious though, so try looking for lists of mods other people use and build off those.

When it comes to the mods themselves there's three types of files to them: esp files, which are plugin files loaded by the game and which need to be in a correct sort order that BOSS will handle for you, BSA files which are archives of resources, and loose files in directories such as "textures", "meshes", "scripts", etc. When it comes to loose files you have to be a bit careful about your install order as future mods may overwrite files from previous mods, which is another reason I recommend Mod Organizer as its virtual directory structure prevents true overwrites from happening and you can just tweak the install order when a conflict is detected.

This is getting a bit long so I'll wrap it up there. There's a bit more to cover such as ini editing which is probably what you're most concerned about, but most mods don't need ini files edited at all and those tweaks are more to get better shadows and stuff.
Thank you and the others who replied. Sounds simple enough.

Prophane33

I really want Assetto Corsa, but having recently purchased GT6 and F5, I guess I'll wait.

Been playing the heck out of GT6, one of my favorite racing games ever. As someone that purchased both, do you think all the hate on FM5 is warranted? How does it compared to GT6 (or more fairly FM4)? Are the microtranscations that bad?

Grief.exe

Sorry, but I think their minds immediately blank out anything dealing with using other platforms and full games to promote their upcoming titles.

Honestly, the decision has nothing to do with them so the discussion is irrelevant.

Just mentioned them as an ulterior benefit.

mm why? Mortal Kombat, KOF 13, MGR and Castlevania are late ports that have a price point between the 20 and 30 dollars mark and they have sold well. I don't think these companies would be porting these games if they weren't making some good money out of it.

Castlevania and Metal Gear are franchises that have been around since the 80s. Mortal Kombat and KOF since the 90s. They're proven names.

Ask Uninformed Joe Q. PC Gamer about Resonance of Fate or Valkyria Chronicles and you will likely be met with a shrug.

Lain

I wanted to do something different, but I can't manage to send the same games to the same email (I guess I have to wait a certain amount of time), so I guess it'll be this for now.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition -- MB-E3B8B8113A56964F
Long Live The Queen -- MB-E7F8FA3CA217BFF7 - Taken by RS4-
Titan Quest Gold -- MB-5CCA8BD56968C011
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-A699118920112239
Dust: An Elysian Tail -- MB-61F6366394818389

t1388355340z1.png

I will trade globe for globe for any globe, just PM me.

PM sent. Thanks for the help.

That feeling you get when you see a game on sale, click on a game to find out more about it, then watch the trailer and say to yourself, "damn that shit looks cool. might need to pick this up..."

....only to scroll down and find out that you actually own it and have no idea when you bought it.

Feels like shame. Yep, shame.

Derrick01

Banned
So what is the consensus on RTW II and COH 2? I loved both of the original games but I haven't heard much about these sequel's.

From what I understand Rome still needs a few big patches to be at an optimal level. That and the $30 price tag is why I'm still holding off.

denx

Castlevania and Metal Gear are franchises that have been around since the 80s. Mortal Kombat and KOF since the 90s. They're proven names.

Ask Uninformed Joe Q. PC Gamer about Resonance of Fate or Valkyria Chronicles and you will likely be met with a shrug.

Agarest is a relatively new IP that sold very well on Steam when it released and continues to sell well anytime it's in sale, and I would say that's a more obscure franchise than Valkyria Chronicles, Bayonetta or Vanquish.

nbraun80

picking up RoR today, added you. :)
capsized is awesome and looks simply amazing,
Thanks, that little push is all I needed to pick it up for that price. ha :)

Chunky

I think that my high is like 700k+ though? Should've been a million easy but I forgot to get the Hedjet... haha

Added you my man.

Just added all of ya. Haven't really bothered with Steam friends before, but I could use some Spelunking Competition!

Hubb

Was Ys a really big franchise in the west on the PC? I don't think so and it has done well for itself if what Xseed has said is true.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Alright, Earth Defense Force! I've heard of it but never played it.

It looks pretty wicked, but is it actually good? Reviews don't seem too hot on it so what makes it stand out?

Also, is this the newest one on PC?

Bayonetta and Vanquish are a lot wider known though so not sure why you're just looking the other way at those suckers.

maty

Oh man, I forgot to buy Tetrobot from the humble store when it was $ 3 :(

Reposting this to see if I can get The Swapper sooner. Thanks

Would anyone like to trade The Swapper for Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed? If not I still have 2 more days to sell more cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom