• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gvaz

Banned
Anyone still on the fence about getting Stanley Parable....

did_it_ever_happen_to_you_when_part_18_03.gif

It's not worth 8.99.

Maybe 2.99 imho.

That gif just makes me sad. Such a waste of potential in what was an interesting setting. Every time you thought it was going to go back to the good stuff or let you explore one of the locations you could see in the distance? Nope, go over here in this circular room and mash buttons for 20 minutes.

Bioshock Infinite syndrome

That gif just makes me sad. Such a waste of potential in what was an interesting setting. Every time you thought it was going to go back to the good stuff or let you explore one of the locations you could see in the distance? Nope, go over here in this circular room and mash buttons for 20 minutes.

Yea, the stores also, looks like you can go right into a store and purchase stuff....nope, gtfo, I still had this game in my top ten.

causan

First time using Modbot so hopefully I did this right. If so I have some more keys to give away =)

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-340ED1B53E396133 - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 15 entrants total.

t1388380135z1.png

What a shame Capcom removed their discount prices for most of their games. I wanted to pick them in the final day for the "last additions" List since the discounted prices were going to last until the last day on the Winter sale.

I wonder if it has something to do with GFWL since the games that were affected were Resident Evil 5, RE Raccon City and Lost Planet 2. It might have happened to more titles but these were the ones I had on my mind and had some nice discounts.

Tell me about it. I wanted RE5 :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You are probably joking but I sure hope it's being worked on.

It is, right along side Lost Planet 4, Dark Void 2 and Bionic Commando 2

None of those are true, the actual games all bombed for Capcom

FTL is amazing! I'm glad you're liking it. Once you get the hang of things, play on Normal and don't look back.

I recently just made the jump to normal and it is considerably more difficult. I can't get past maybe the 4th jump? Just right now, I was maybe halfway and for whatever reason my ship was running out of oxygen, which was odd, I had no damage to my o2, no crack in the hull nor were my doors open. I was a little annoyed, but I just can't stay mad at the game, I am sure I made an oversight at some point.

Gvaz

Banned
It made me feel things.

In my parts.

If you want to feel things in your parts then buy this game.

I don't have parts. I have peanut butter and jelly and they didn't like the price point.

That being said, I didn't like the price point on Dear Esther either.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anything special happens if you get a foil badge? Have sold all of my foil cards.

You receive five items rather than just the one.

Didn't this happen ages ago?
Or was that another squenix online only thing where the server got pulled?
*JaseC signal*
Edit: Yeah, this is the one I was thinking of.
Happened over a month ago.

Yeah, Squeenix yanked Order of War: Challenge from all of the Order of War subs back in September after the servers were shut down... but a couple of months ago it was re-added to the Challenge-specific subs, so the people who bought Order of War: Challenge rather than the original Order of War (I fall into the latter category, unfortunately) got it back. I've been meaning to e-mail Squeenix and ask what the go is there -- why not just return it to everybody who owned the game?

Wasn't there something else that got pulled yesterday?
Darkfall something?

Xelios had it removed from his account, but that was simply because the only purchase option is a subscription-based and so if you don't pay the monthly fee your ownership effectively expires. This is different to, say EVE Online, where the base game is separate to the subscription options, which is the better approach.

Outside of some gifs posted here, I have zero knowledge about the game. What makes it an amazing experience?

They way I try to explain it:

You walk into a room and there are two doors. The narrator says that you take the left door to continue your journey.
Which door do you then walk through?

The game is like that.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

10 of those minutes would be spent in a tutorial learning how to add a new button press to a combo.

I would've enjoyed the game if it didn't treat me like a fucking idiot. Just let me play.

Yeah, totally. The combat just got in the way of the interesting parts of that game. Sort of the same argument you could make about Bioshock Infinite, really, but the combat in Remember Me was soooooooo repetitive.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's pretty sad you put those games in the same post... game is much better than people make it out to be.

I just meant it bombed like those other capcom games did. Hell I liked all if those, including Remember Me (actually I haven't played list planet 3 yet but I liked Bionic Commando and even Dark Void was ok-ish)

hohoXD123

Outside of some gifs posted here, I have zero knowledge about the game. What makes it an amazing experience?
Many people have said this about the game, and in my experience it holds true: it's difficult to say why exactly it's an amazing experience without giving too much away. I would play the demo, that gives you a fair idea of what the game is like.

Gvaz

Banned

Narrator tells you to do things. You do them. Narrator comments on either what a good boy/bad boy you are for doing what you're told. Narrator gets mad at you depending on your actions and there are multiple endings. However each ending is easily able to get to in a casual 5-30 minutes. Sometimes Narrator says a funny thing. The end.

They way I try to explain it:

You walk into a room and there are two doors. The narrator says that you take the left door to continue your journey.
Which door do you then walk through?

The game is like that.

That's like a huge generalization.

When you take the right door he screams at you for essentially breaking the game. However, all the other situations aren't as obvious. Other ones are basically unlocked as you unlock endings.

Crackdown 1 still is far superiour than any of those games. And anyone saying Saints Row 4 is better than Crackdown needs some medicince as well :p

There's really nothing to crackdown except orb hunting though. Everything else is so poorly handled that it resulted in a boring game. At least in prototype you get some of the crazy movements and skills that are in Crackdown but you get an open world game that's a bit better made overall.

Infamous 1 though is just a snoozefest. They thought they could sneak in a mediocre 3rd person shooter and hide it under "superpowers" and the most mundane climbing mechanic ever.
You're right that there wasn't any meat to Crackdown 1, but with the orbs I always likened it to an open-world version of Super Mario 64 (albeit an abstract one), considering the platforming / exploration was the game's only polished aspect be it with your agent or via those specialized vehicles from your HQ. Which is the one area Saint's Row 4 didn't feel good in at all: the Saint's Row games always suffered from controls that never gave you the impression that your movement had any weight behind it (same goes for the shooting) and they certaintly didn't fix that after three sequels. For all the over-the-top missions or temporary superpowers you'd acquire, SR4 doesn't hold a candle to Crackdown when it comes to character handling.

Always wanted to give Prototype a try after really enjoying Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, but I couldn't bring myself to give Activision any money. Moreso after they fired the majority of the development team despite it performing well sales-wise after launch. Infamous 1 was overrated (mediocre third-person shooter in disguise like you said with magnetic 'platforming' worse than Uncharted's), but I'll admit that I was rather fond of their Solid Snake impersonator whenever cutscenes triggered.

10 of those minutes would be spent in a tutorial learning how to add a new button press to a combo.

Heh pretty much.

Do this 4 hit combo so you get a little bit of health back.
But can't just I do my 8 hit combo that would kill the enemy?
NO do the 4 hit combo!

marrec

Banned

It's really difficult to explain. I did up a review of it:

You have a menu and specific ambient noises to go along with the menu. Everything seems neatly arranged and presented in the normal way a video game should be. It even gives you an encouraging reminder at the top, saying ‘You are Playing The Stanley Parable’. If you choose ‘Begin the Game’ there is a loading screen followed by opening narrative and movies. It does this admirably. There’s nothing about actually playing the game that is more or less than what you’d expect from playing a game. The camera controls well enough, movement is achieved via keyboard and you interact with objects via the left mouse button or the ‘E’ key. Really, a 10 out of 10 in all that.

And here I tried to explain better what it's actually about.

The Stanley Parable is a game that’s ostensibly built on choices. You are, at a certain point, given a choice between one of two doors. It’s literally a room that has two completely unassuming doors in it. Where the game goes from there is completely dependant on your left or right choosing.

The choosing part, that's what makes it magic. It's a comedy game that also happens to be a commentary of what Video Games are. Without a doubt it has some of my favorite moments in any medium in 2013.

I don't have parts. I have peanut butter and jelly and they didn't like the price point.

That being said, I didn't like the price point on Dear Esther either.

Don't you dare compare Dear Esther to this Jelly man! You take that back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom