• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I may have to get the Resident Evil games this sale even if they don't show up as dailies. The discounts on them seem to be getting worse, not better.

Kadin

That was basically the auction - got people more active and built up some hype for the sale. All the market transactions led to increased Steam wallet balances for many users.

Brilliant move by Valve, imo, to do such a thing before the sale rather than during. Now people have to spend those wallet funds on something.
I guess. But doesn't everyone miss this?? :p

OkXbTgM.jpg

Ecto311

So glad there is the wallet meme or these threads would have like 2 posts. Oh hahaha you spent all your money. Your wallet "am" cry - oh shit man the same thing was said like 2 posts above you. All the cool people are talking about their wallets and how they never play anything but dota or TF.

Aside from that I do like the threads because I never know what is worth getting and the discussion if its worth the sale is good info.

Flash videos aren't working for me right now, so I'll ask more specific questions:

Is there a 'free drive' mode that doesn't require steep unlock requirements where I can just drive without giving a damn between European cities? Is it more of a 'management' sim Football Manager style or is the core of the gameplay about driving skills? What's the ratio of 'manage your business' versus 'drive around Europe' that the game offers? How high quality are the vehicle models? Are there weather effects?

Panda Rin

Scholar of the First Sin isn't coming to PC right? If I haven't copped DS II, this is as best as it's gonna get right?

It is, and the original edition will get some of its updates but not all.

I would pick it up now if you want to play it. I don't think the upgraded version will do much too noteworthy to warrant the wait, especially since it will probably be pretty expensive anyways.

Someone explain Euro Truck Simulator to me.

Have you ever wanted to drive across the european landscape, but lack the funds required to do so? Then look no further than Euro Truck sim! Not only will you be able to see what many countries in Europe look like, you get to drive a big bad truck! Every little kids dream is to drive a big truck like these and now you are able to do so with the hip virtual reality, oculus rift*sold seperately*. There are even radio stations from the different countries! Wanted to hear Czech country music then tune in and crank up that radio for some good 'ol county music. Don't wait too long though, this is a daily deal so buy it now.

Owensboro

Hell yeah Metal Gear Rising! I've been waiting for a sale to play this thing. Holy crap, I'm betting my backlog is going to be freaking huge after this sale. Stupid WoW taking up all my gaming time.

80+% of that is pre-rendered cutscenes.

That's exactly how I want my Metal Gear!

Korten

Banned
So Dark Souls 2 is on sale but it's Season pass isn't? :/ So much for hoping to get the season pass this winter...

BlackJace

I would pick it up now if you want to play it. I don't think the upgraded version will do much too noteworthy to warrant the wait, especially since it will probably be pretty expensive anyways.

Sweet, thanks.

Have you ever wanted to drive across the european landscape, but lack the funds required to do so? Then look no further than Euro Truck sim! Not only will you be able to see what many countries in Europe look like, you get to drive a big bad truck! Every little kids dream is to drive a big truck like these and now you are able to do so with the hip virtual reality, oculus rift*sold seperately*. There are even radio stations from the different countries! Wanted to hear Czech country music then tune in and crank up that radio for some good 'ol county music. Don't wait too long though, this is a daily deal so buy it now.

Jesus I'm actually considering this now.

mrgone

Have they said anything else at all after the PC community's collective "what the fuck, Scamco" when they announced that there'd be no upgrade path for the new version for old purchases? I'm still not too happy about that.

Flash videos aren't working for me right now, so I'll ask more specific questions:

Is there a 'free drive' mode that doesn't require steep unlock requirements where I can just drive without giving a damn between European cities? Is it more of a 'management' sim Football Manager style or is the core of the gameplay about driving skills? What's the ratio of 'manage your business' versus 'drive around Europe' that the game offers? How high quality are the vehicle models? Are there weather effects?

Full disclosure: I don't own it, nor do I play any simulation-style games. Hopefully someone can answer your question with more authority than me.

That said, IIRC, you can play however you want, if not by default then through modding. There are both driving and management aspects to the game, though early on you'll be doing most of the driving (until you can hire more workers for your company). Not sure about the speed, but money is definitely an issue early on (fixed by mods). Skill is a factor.

For visuals, I'd say the graphics are standard, and there are some weather effects, not to mention Simulation Standard wonky physics. Again, mods will probably improve the visuals a bit.

Definitely watch the video if you can, it will be quite a road trip.

Have they said anything else at all after the PC community's collective "what the fuck, Scamco" when they announced that there'd be no upgrade path for the new version for old purchases? I'm still not too happy about that.
It would be a much bigger issue if the original version received no updates, but it is.

How's Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition? I have the PS3 version already, is the port any better?
It's a pretty lazy port, but the DSfix mod by Durante makes it a lot better in some ways. Haven't really followed what happened to it after the GFWL to Steamworks migration started though.

Harusame

Hmmm, i'm quite tempted to purchase Microsoft Flight Simulator X which is 80% off and now $5.59 Canadian. I'm not quite sure if I should hold off on the purchase for the mean time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom