• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

BasilZero

Am I seeing that right?

A F2P game is on flash sale? o_O

The DLC is the one thats being counted as a flash sale......what the.....

Uzzy

Is the GOTY worth it over the vanilla version for Tomb Raider or Max Payne 3?

The GOTY Edition of Tomb Raider lumps on a mass of useless multiplayer DLC, which no one plays anymore, and a whole one piece of single player content, the tomb of the lost adventurer, which is pretty rubbish just like the rest of the 'tombs' in that game. So I'd say no, stick to the vanilla version of Tomb Raider.

kcp12304

Banned
Is the GOTY worth it over the vanilla version for Tomb Raider or Max Payne 3?

Max Payne 3 is just mutliplayer maps that no one plays and mp wasn't good when I played it. Not sure about Tomb Raider DLC but it seems like more skins/weapons/maps for mostly mp and a few for sp. Doesn't seem worth it. The vanilla game was good enough for me.

Finally going to pick up Crusader Kings II with that 75% Daily Deal. What are the top 3-5 DLC add-ons I should pick up with it? From some of the reviews I read, the quality varies wildly.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Someone talk to me about shadow run dragonfall. 12 hours sounds just about right. I can't commit to along RPG.

I'm in the middle of it, it might be longer than 12 hours. It really depends on how much you like Cyberpunk/Sci-Fi/Fantasy settings. If you were to get one of the Hare Brained Scheme's Shadowrun games, get this over Returns.

There's no grinding, and no back-tracking. The plot is that you need to find someone and you need to raise a lot of money for the services of an "information broker" and to that end, you go on a lot of "Shadowruns." So assassination missions, hacking missions, personal missions, you sell intel and take contract work.

So you're completing a series of "stages" or missions, each is worth a small amount and after you do a bunch you have enough to pay your broker.

I'm still in the "raising funds" part of the game.

Anyhow, there's the main story, which is expanded upon after each mission (your typical, you are the only ones who know the world is in danger and it's up to your rag-tag team to save it, RPG story). You also learn more about your crew members as they all have dark secrets that they reveal to you piece-by-piece after each mission.

The gameplay itself is pretty simple turn-based combat, but aside from shooting, there's spell-crafting, robotic drones, "spirits" you can control, and a "Cyberspace" world where you can hack in parallel to combat to take over doors/turrets/etc.

Dragonfall is very story-driven, and there is a lot of reading, so it's not something where you just get the bare-bones and plow through action sequences.

In the main-hub of Berlin, where you spend time between missions, there are roughly a dozen-characters each with their own little stories and side-quest who you interact with as well. So there is a lot of "up-keep" you can either pursue or ignore outside of the main missions.

Each mission take you to an entirely new area, which is accessed by the subway. In fact, there's no option to backtrack as once you've left a mission area you can't choose to go back there ever. You pick a mission (usually you have of option of 2-3 on the go) and when you approve it, the subway just whisks you there.

There aren't any fetch-quests, there aren't any areas where enemies respawn or that you can hit over and over for cash. Every mission ties into either the main quest line or the story lines of the other people in Berlin.

It's a great game but not the kind of thing you just power through.

And if you thought this post was long, then Dragonfall definitely isn't for you ;)

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Finally going to pick up Crusader Kings II with that 75% Daily Deal. What are the top 3-5 DLC add-ons I should pick up with it? From some of the reviews I read, the quality varies wildly.

I'd get Old Gods, Islam, Legacy of Rome, The Republic for sure.

I loved Bastion so I'm extremely tempted to buy Transistor.

I've also had my eye on Divinity Original Sin for some time now, but $27 is too much.

I did not like Bastion...

But I'm actually really really enjoying Transistor.

I'm glad I gave it a shot. Seems pretty short. 4-5ish hours?

Sch1sm

Uh, I haven't been able to buy anything all day, regardless of client, or method of payment i get

"An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed.
Please contact Steam Support."

If you have multiple methods of payments, try Amazon. Tends to match the Steam price through and through if you're having difficulty.

The GOTY Edition of Tomb Raider lumps on a mass of useless multiplayer DLC, which no one plays anymore, and a whole one piece of single player content, the tomb of the lost adventurer, which is pretty rubbish just like the rest of the 'tombs' in that game. So I'd say no, stick to the vanilla version of Tomb Raider.

Max Payne 3 is just mutliplayer maps that no one plays and mp wasn't good when I played it. Not sure about Tomb Raider DLC but it seems like more skins/weapons/maps for mostly mp and a few for sp. Doesn't seem worth it. The vanilla game was good enough for me.

Cool, thanks! That's what it looked like but it was such a laundry list that I wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake by getting the vanilla version.

For Max Payne 3, I would get it for the Deathmatch Made in Heaven DLC. It actually adds some SP content. I don't know if it's worth it for $3.74 though.

It's only $2 more since the "complete" version is a higher discount. Is it anything worthwhile for SP?

Slavik81

Fallout: New Vegas or Fallout New Vegas Ultimate? The difference in price is about $5, but I'm more interested in whether the DLC is actually good. I really can't stand DLC that is obviously out-of-place or imbalances the game.

(Though, if you can disable the DLC, the obvious choice is to buy it and find out myself.)

C4rter

Is the game any good? (Deadfall Adventures). I'm about to pull the trigger on it if it's decent.

I'm counting myself to the players that liked it, yeah.

It's nice to play an Indiana Jones type of game and in this case as an FPS with some riddles and lots of action.

You can even specify the difficulty of the riddles and of the action scenes if you prefer more or less tips for the riddles (they stay the same) and harder/easier bad guys.

Overall a nice adventure with the typical cliché storyline but some nice action, at least one really awesome level (mine cart ride like "Temple of Doom") and an overall enjoyable experience.

sixamp

I'm in the middle of it, it might be longer than 12 hours. It really depends on how much you like Cyberpunk/Sci-Fi/Fantasy settings. If you were to get one of the Hare Brained Scheme's Shadowrun games, get this over Returns.

There's no grinding, and no back-tracking. The plot is that you need to find someone and you need to raise a lot of money for the services of an "information broker" and to that end, you go on a lot of "Shadowruns." So assassination missions, hacking missions, personal missions, you sell intel and take contract work.

So you're completing a series of "stages" or missions, each is worth a small amount and after you do a bunch you have enough to pay your broker.

I'm still in the "raising funds" part of the game.

Anyhow, there's the main story, which is expanded upon after each mission (your typical, you are the only ones who know the world is in danger and it's up to your rag-tag team to save it, RPG story). You also learn more about your crew members as they all have dark secrets that they reveal to you piece-by-piece after each mission.

The gameplay itself is pretty simple turn-based combat, but aside from shooting, there's spell-crafting, robotic drones, "spirits" you can control, and a "Cyberspace" world where you can hack in parallel to combat to take over doors/turrets/etc.

Dragonfall is very story-driven, and there is a lot of reading, so it's not something where you just get the bare-bones and plow through action sequences.

In the main-hub of Berlin, where you spend time between missions, there are roughly a dozen-characters each with their own little stories and side-quest who you interact with as well. So there is a lot of "up-keep" you can either pursue or ignore outside of the main missions.

Each mission take you to an entirely new area, which is accessed by the subway. In fact, there's no option to backtrack as once you've left a mission area you can't choose to go back there ever. You pick a mission (usually you have of option of 2-3 on the go) and when you approve it, the subway just whisks you there.

There aren't any fetch-quests, there aren't any areas where enemies respawn or that you can hit over and over for cash. Every mission ties into either the main quest line or the story lines of the other people in Berlin.

It's a great game but not the kind of thing you just power through.

And if you thought this post was long, then Dragonfall definitely isn't for you ;)

is dragonfall a stand alone game or dlc for shadow run returns? how is it compared to shadow run returns?

Haunted

Can you elaborate a bit? What didn't you like about Transistor?
Maybe it was my fault for expecting something similar, but the combat was much slower, and I generally didn't like the setting as much. It's from the same developer and there are similarities for sure, but I thought that it had a very different feel from Bastion and went in a direction I didn't really like. Following the story of the main characters never grabbed me while I didn't like the more stats-focused and deliberate/slow combat compared to the action-heavy skill-based Bastion.

I've seen plenty of comments that stated they liked one, but not the other, so I know I'm not completely off-base with this, but many liked it obviously, so ymmv.

I'm counting myself to the players that liked it, yeah.

It's nice to play an Indiana Jones type of game and in this case as an FPS with some riddles and lots of action.

You can even specify the difficulty of the riddles and of the action scenes if you prefer more or less tips for the riddles (they stay the same) and harder/easier bad guys.

Overall a nice adventure with the typical cliché storyline but some nice action, at least one really awesome level (mine cart ride like "Temple of Doom") and an overall enjoyable experience.

Is uncharted a good comparison to make or not really? I really loved the uncharted games and the atmosphere for the exploring in it. Is this similar or just feels like a FPS?

shockdude

Audiosurf 1 as part of the community choice sale is $0.99. Really tempting, but I already got Beat Hazard earlier this year and don't need another flashy music-driven game.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So I finally got Dark Souls since the GFWL is gone, and while it is fun, I am not feeling it like I did Dark Souls 2.

Did I screw myself by playing DS2 first?

Maybe some graphical updates for DS1?

Kinthalis

Banned
is dragonfall a stand alone game or dlc for shadow run returns? how is it compared to shadow run returns?

Its stand alone dlc so you dont need the base game. Imho dragonfall is the better campaign. Actually a lot of people agree with that sentiment. But i did enjoy the original. If you like dragonfall pick up the orignal later.

kafiend

I loved Bastion, but really didn't like the battle mechanics of Transistor.

I quite liked the battle mechanics, but little else. The talking sword making fragmented comments that made little sense as a story technique got on my wick after a while. Found myself not caring so gave it up after a couple hours.

You are the third person who has asked this question. Check out my answer a few pages back.

So I finally got Dark Souls since the GFWL is gone, and while it is fun, I am not feeling it like I did Dark Souls 2.

Did I screw myself by playing DS2 first?

Maybe some graphical updates for DS1?

A lot of people seem to like DS1 a lot more including me. The world was a lot more connected and a lot more fun to explore.

There are mods that might help, but I'm not too sure which ones. Sorry.

Gurrry

So my friend is trying to buy something on steam right now and he keeps getting "an unexpected error has occurred" after he clicks purchase.

He has bought like 30 games this sale, so up until now he hasnt had an issue.

Anyone know whats going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom