• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

So my friend is trying to buy something on steam right now and he keeps getting "an unexpected error has occurred" after he clicks purchase.

He has bought like 30 games this sale, so up until now he hasnt had an issue.

Anyone know whats going on?

Sometimes the bank thinks the games were fraudulently bought. This is main reason behind using Steam Wallet instead of Credit Card during Winter Sales.

Teggy

I did not like Bastion...

But I'm actually really really enjoying Transistor.

I'm glad I gave it a shot.

I'm with you. Besides the narration aspect they play very differently. Bastion is an action game that I didnt find very engaging. Transistor has almost a turn-based strategy layer plus all of the permutations of the abilities.

Durante

So I finally got Dark Souls since the GFWL is gone, and while it is fun, I am not feeling it like I did Dark Souls 2.

Did I screw myself by playing DS2 first?

Maybe some graphical updates for DS1?
Well, I hope you're using DSfix.

Other than that, it's not unusual IMHO to prefer DS2. But both are great games.

3 hours of amazing content is more worth than anything else.
Divinity OS has at least 50 hours of amazing content.

Does anyone have an extra copy of The Dungeon of the Endless when it was $6.xx. My friend wants to play multiplayer with me.

It has a decent chance of being a recap on the last day, since Endless Legend sold quite well and they were on sale together. Though if you want to play together now I would just pay the extra $2 instead of waiting for a possible recap.

Bought and played Transistor.

Weird game. Really cool style, and their take on turnbased/realtime combat is pretty nice, but during the first hour you kinda wonder if they're actually going to put those things a coherent game, because right now it feels like you're just moving forward without any clear goal.

hohoXD123

Don't buy Shovel Knight if you don't want to have the most insanely catchy tune stuck in your head.

Bought and played Transistor.

Weird game. Really cool style, and their take on turnbased/realtime combat is pretty nice, but during the first hour you kinda wonder if they're actually going to put those things a coherent game, because right now it feels like you're just moving forward without any clear goal.
The goal does become slightly clearer as you progress. Don't think story was its strong point anyway, mainly the soundtrack, art style, and combat.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I thought so too, but every time I start the game I get a message saying 'You are not signed in and will be unable to save.' I went online and looked up several guides, followed instructions, but the problem won't stop.

I am utterly baffled.

The patched-out version is something you gotta toggle. It's not automatic because it will wipe files if you're doing a transfer, so they have it as optional for the next month or so.

You have to right-click it in your steam inventory and I think it's under beta options.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR PATCHING OUT GFWL

CASE 2: For users who purchase Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition between December 15th and February 16th:

Once the game is downloaded, right click on your game in the Steam library, go into properties, check that the BETA tab is set to “dsptde-2.0-“. The game may ask you to create a Game for Wwindows Live Account, simply discard this request
Launch Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition v2.0 from Steam.

CASE 3: For users who purchase Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition on or after February 16th (this will be the steam only version):

Just Launch Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition from Steam

ZoddGutts

Doubt Divinity: Original Sin will go more than 33%, the game even before the discount was selling well enough and now that it has a 33% it's become the number one seller on Steam right now. 50% discount won't happen till next year folks, best to buy it now if your interest in playing the game. Plus it will be getting more support from the developer.

Doubt Divinity: Original Sin will go more than 33%, the game even before the discount was selling well enough and now that it has a 33% it's become the number one seller on Steam right now. 50% discount won't happen till next year folks, best to buy it now if your interest in playing the game. Plus it will be getting more support from the developer.

Good thing next year is only 3 days away. I'll wait for a more original game. Everything is just patched from Diablo. It's like a 10+ yr old game.

Dingotech

green man gaming and i used a 20% off code WINTER-SALE20-GROGRE

its $5.99 the you get $1.19 off with the code

Right, it's $11.99 on the stupid Australian GMG store.

Thanks.

NoRéN;145127005 said:
If you want it cheaper than gmg, it's under $3 on nuuvem.

Hmm that sounds like a great price! I need to learn how to navigate that site...

Durante

Good thing next year is only 3 days away. I'll wait for a more original game. Everything is just patched from Diablo. It's like a 10+ yr old game.

image.php

spuckthew

Lost Planet 3 worth a punt at £4.83? It's currently 80% off on Green Man Gaming, bringing it down to £5.99, but the 20% code knocks a further £1.16 off.

(I actually almost bought it without asking, but the checkout was being weird... Maybe it's a sign?)

-MD-

I enjoyed Divinity OS for a few days but it really begins to drag. I was in the 2nd town probably near the end of that area 20-30 hours in or so. Ended up uninstalling it today, I just don't see myself going back.

If you know for a fact that you'll be into it then $27 is a good price considering the amount of content, if you're on the fence I'd hold off.

Bundle Stars gave me this, but I don't want it, feel free to grab it:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Cyberquake, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Penguins Arena: Sedna's World -- MB-3E5D9FDDEDBC65AC

Haunted

Lost Planet 3 worth a punt at £4.83? It's currently 80% off on Green Man Gaming, bringing it down to £5.99, but the 20% code knocks a further £1.16 off.
One of the biggest positive surprises of 2013, imo. I'd recommend it.

Also, check your wording, that's not the kind of language that's encouraged here on GAF.

C4rter

Is uncharted a good comparison to make or not really? I really loved the uncharted games and the atmosphere for the exploring in it. Is this similar or just feels like a FPS?

I played like 10 minutes of Uncharted in my life so I'm not the best one to make that comparison. I guess it could be the same formula but by far not that polished and no triple A game material. It's the same mixture of action and riddles, but I would compare Uncharted more with the last Tomb Raider I guess.

sqwarlock

Is there a list anywhere that compiles the best $5 and under (preferably $.99) games that aren't, or won't, be on daily/flash deals?

spuckthew

Also, check your wording, that's not the kind of language that's encouraged here on GAF.

Cool. I'll grab it then.

Edited my post too - was just annoyed because the site was having issues taking my card payment, even though Steam happily took my money for Shadow of Mordor this morning.

bigace33

I enjoyed Divinity OS for a few days but it really begins to drag. I was in the 2nd town probably near the end of that area 20-30 hours in or so. Ended up uninstalling it today, I just don't see myself going back.

If you know for a fact that you'll be into it then $27 is a good price considering the amount of content, if you're on the fence I'd hold off.

Man I'm constantly hearing good things about this game but know nothing about it. I hear it's turn based gameplay (which I love), what can you compare it too? i might bite on it for $27.

autoduelist

Transistor is a modern, western take on a single player SRPG. It's absolutely fantastic.

You install subroutines on your character to modify their attacks and defenses. These modules can either be a 'main' function (limited slots and mapped to a key/button) or be installed as modifiers to another function. For example, an area of effect attack might modify other modules to give them a (lesser) area of effect.

You have free movement in between 'actions' to adjust your position on the field of battle, and then when your turn is charged up you pause the game and carefully set up several actions in succession (ie, teleport behind enemy, melee, melee, stun, teleport away) based on how much actions cost and how much 'action energy' you have leveled up.

Great soundtrack, cool look, the story is a little post-modern fragmented but essentially makes sense at the end.

One of my favorite games, and a really, really cool combat system that I hope is built upon in future games by them or others.

I though you were misreading his use of 'punt'... then I clicked back to his original comment. Yikes. You're right.

Amneisac

I know this isn't really related to Steam sales, but I'm getting bored as hell with Dragon Age: Inquisition. I'm like 20 hours in and it's really kind of a snoozer. It's just a bunch of boring sidequests and I hate games where stuff if marked on a map for me and I'm constantly having to keep checking the map and terrain to find the path to reach my objective. I don't know, major let down so far and it was ($29.99) way more expensive than anything I've bought for Steam so far.

I have really been enjoying Gauntlet co-op on the other hand.

Tizoc

(I actually almost bought it without asking, but the checkout was being weird... Maybe it's a sign?)

Gameplay is OK, nothing to write home about. It's the setting, voice acting and characters that are the game's highlight. If you're looking for a game with good narrative and setting, etc. def. give LP3 a try.

Man I'm constantly hearing good things about this game but know nothing about it. I hear it's turn based gameplay (which I love), what can you compare it too? i might bite on it for $27.

It's just a turn based game. So think Diablo in a way but turn based. You can interact with like literally everything which is the biggest thing I was hyped for. If you run over ice, you'll fall. You can cast a fire spell to melt the ice to walk over it. If a troll walks over the now melted ice (water) you can get more damage out of your electric spells. It makes you interact and play like it was real rather than just a texture.

This is the pre-alpha but gives you an idea of what's different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuF8ruhjlTY

You also have a shit ton of dialogue choices and can argue with people to convince them of something and they can argue with you to convince you of something. It's got some really cool concepts.

Barbarian

On the off chance that someone does not already own this awesome game....

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Barbarian, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Half Life 2 Episode 1 -- MB-009374634A981142 - Taken by Naked Snake

Durante

You could compare it to Temple of Elemental Evil in terms of battle system (that is, absolute top tier in RPGs, period). You could compare it to Ultima 7 in terms of world interactivity. You could also compare it to Divine Divinity and other Larian games in tone, which might be the most divisive aspect of the game.

What you can't compare to anything is the fun of setting up an intricate scheme of environmental effects and combination in coop and then nuking your own party on accident :p

I kind of want Transistor even though I got the platinum on PS4 then I thought, "why not get shovel knight?" then I remember I've barely played divinity.

Why am I such a hopeless consumer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom