• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF when did Dragonborn go half off?

This madness is unwarranted and highly appreciated.

Edit: Also - and this is sorta vague, I know - is Ground Zeroes any fun if the only Metal Gear game I've played is Revengeance?

Gruso

I'm pretty happy with the sale. I cleared a chunk of my wishlist, and also did some easy Christmas shopping for my nephews, who were experiencing their first Steam sale. I'm just a wee bit salty about the Valve complete pack not being in Aus.

My focus for 2015 is Arma 3, GTA V, Star Citizen and No Man's Sky on my imminent new rig, so I didn't need anything huge for myself this sale.

For me (~$35):

HoWozkA.png

For them (~$57):

Miker

For $16, and $4.28 out of pocket (remainder was Steam wallet):

The Long Dark was courtesy of woo and indeed hoo, and Aliens vs. Predator was courtesy of drakaenae. Both were lucky ModBot wins.

WTF when did Dragonborn go half off?

This madness is unwarranted and highly appreciated.

Edit: Also - and this is sorta vague, I know - is Ground Zeroes any fun if the only Metal Gear game I've played is Revengeance?
but that is not a good thing?

the base game repeatedly gets 75% discounted while dlc only gets 50% max. you can see this is very consumerunfriendly because it basically doesn't make any sense to buy the dlc when you own the base game beforehand as the complete edition goes for less than the dlcs alone.

happens with most bethesda games sadly. i do have skyrim and fallout new vegas but only the base games. logical would be to get the dlcs for both games at cheaper prices than the complete editions.
that is sadly not the case though and with how many dlc seem to add a lot for the main game campaigns as well, i feel conflicted starting my playthroughs in either skyrim or new vegas :/

but that is not a good thing?

the base game repeatedly gets 75% discounted while dlc only gets 50% max. you can see this is very consumerunfriendly because it basically doesn't make any sense to buy the dlc when you own the base game beforehand as the complete edition goes for less than the dlcs alone.

happens with most bethesda games sadly. i do have skyrim and fallout new vegas but only the base games. logical would be to get the dlcs for both games at cheaper prices than the complete editions.
that is sadly not the case though and with how many dlc seem to add a lot for the main game campaigns as well, i feel conflicted starting my playthroughs in either skyrim or new vegas :/

The Legendary Edition screwed everything up. But there's no use being bitter about it now.

This is my only chance.

Examples of deals that are better?
Skyrim's DLCs are now -50% off instead of -33% off, which never happened last time it was featured.

It's technically a better sale!

Chinbo37

Oh man. After buying a lot du ring the black Friday sale I told myself no more for this sale.

I checked deals every day but I held firm.

Tonight I had 1 vodka cranberry and then i caved. I got

Hotline Miami
1.27 EUR
Bioshock Infinite (WW)
7.49 EUR
Shovel Knight
10.04 EUR
Transistor
6.45 EUR
Metal Slug 3 Steam Store and Retail Key
2.09 EUR
Metal Gear Rising
3.99 EUR
FINAL FANTASY XIII (NE)
6.49 EUR

Total:
37.82 EUR

FaintDeftone

Grabbed Saint's Row IV since I skipped it the first time around. I've been waiting for that one to hit $5. So Shadow Warrior and Saint's Row IV were my only purchases this year. If Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons goes on-sale for $2 again before the end of this sale I may grab it too since I never did finish it on PS3.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Is Strike Suit Zero worth getting?

Also which is generally regarded as the superior one to get between the original and Director's Cut edition for someone who doesn't own any of the Strike Suit games?

While a few things improved with the Director's Cut, the actions they took have lead to more than a few glitches and graphical issues and as such I recommend sticking with the original version of the game. The DLC is nice, but not needed and that's the only thing you would have to buy separately if you skip on the Director's Cut.

I found to be a fun game that let me live out my Robotech desires of fighting as a fighter jet and then turning into a mech that shoots many a missile. It's a typical sci-fi action story with standard arcade like space combat of destroy all the enemies or defend your ships, but it's very smooth and exciting as you continuously get better at the game or try out different armaments either in ship form or robot fighter form. Plays great with a joystick as well.

I also recommend looking at the side-sequel Strike Suit Infinity, which is a different game of the same vein. Still space combat, but unlike Zero's story and mission focus aspect, this is a high score chasing hyperactive series of levels that is the shoot-em-up for space combat genre. If you are into that kind of thing and idea that is, some might feel like there is not enough as it is just waves of enemies for high score.

Both games come with just beautiful scenery for a very vibrant and spectacular look at alien planets, nebulas, stars, and especially Earth and Luna and all the space traffic that goes between them.

It won't scratch the same itch as say an Elite title, it's not as straight forward and easy as Star Fox, but they more than made me happy as a fan of the space combat genre.

Okay, I think I'm done this sale:

MsYswhP.png

Easily the lowest wallet damage of any Steam sale. If not for the surprise OMSI 2 sale it'd be miniscule compared to some past sales.

McBryBry

I'm gonna set my limit on my final purchase at $10. How's The Forest? I'm kinda interested in that, but I wanna get the best thing I can for ten bucks. Recommendations?

Edit: Decided to go with Shovel Knight. I've already bought The Long Dark so I don't think I need another early access survival.

Grief.exe

I'm gonna set my limit on my final purchase at $10. How's The Forest? I'm kinda interested in that, but I wanna get the best thing I can for ten bucks. Recommendations?

Out of all the Early Access games on sale today, Prison Architect, The Long Dark, 7 Days to Die, The Long Dark, Kerbel, and Space Engineers, I would say that The Forest has the longest road to travel.

Not to say that it isn't a good game, they have been updating the product frequently and the base is there for a compelling product. Just giving you a heads up.

Didn't notice this previously, but I actually own the majority of those Early Access titles.

Revengeance was 80% off on the first day when Ground Zeroes was on a daily deal.

Out of all the Early Access games on sale today, Prison Architect, The Long Dark, 7 Days to Die, The Long Dark, Kerbel, and Space Engineers, I would say that The Forest has the longest road to travel.

Not to say that it isn't a good game, they have been updating the product frequently and the base is there for a compelling product. Just giving you a heads up.

Didn't notice this previously, but I actually own the majority of those Early Access titles.

I only own Prison Architect out of those games, but I can definitely recommend it. It doesn't feel unfinished at all. You can get many hours out of it as it is now.

Shadowplay1979

Gold Member
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

w5Bqht8.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-60F5A90BD638BC66 - Taken by Shadowplay1979

Thanks, you can go ahead and put that one up again, not gonna claim that

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Having a dilemma. Should I buy Divinity or Endless Legend? I like playing turn based RPGs like Shadowrun and Wasteland 2, but I've never played games like Civilization which involves hex based strategy, but I've heard so much good thing about EL.

Haven't played EL, but Divinity is amazing. If you like turn based RPGs, it's a no brainier.

Xamdou

Aight so I waited until the last day just to get the games I want...

Which one's of these should I get or must buys?

Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series
METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES
Divinity: Original Sin

Jintor

Okay, if the encores are hitting now there's no more need to wait for dailies/flash deals, right...? There's a bunch of <$10 games on my wishlist I've been eyeing.

Sendou

Game of Thrones' first episode was really promising. Expecting a great series myself. Highly recommended if you like Telltale's past output and Game of Thrones.

Altima

1. MGS
2. Original Sin
3. GoT

Actually you should buy all of them but you can wait for More episode of GoT.

MGS is too short. You can finish it in couple hours if you do not interest in additional mode but it is a great game to play.

OS will keep you occupy with it for quite long time.

If you have even the slightest interest in turn-based RPGs Divinity: Original Sin is a must buy.

I've never played the others so you should obviously skip them. (GoT in particular will be well over half off by the time the six episodes come out.)

Xamdou

Game of Thrones' first episode was really promising. Expecting a great series myself. Highly recommended if you like Telltale's past output and Game of Thrones.

I never played any of TellTale's previous games but I am a huge fan of the Game of Thrones tv series.

1. MGS
2. Original Sin
3. GoT

Actually you should buy all of them but you can wait for More episode of GoT.

MGS is too short. You can finish it in couple hours if you do not interest in additional mode but it is a great game to play.

I really liked MGS4 so I may purchase MGS GZ... is it a prequel to the Phantom Pain?

If you have even the slightest interest in turn-based RPGs Divinity: Original Sin is a must buy.

I've never played the others so you should obviously skip them. (GoT in particular will be well over half off by the time the six episodes come out.)

Is Divinity: OS like Diablo 3?

Any opinions on The Fall?

Saw it in the Giant Bomb thread and it looks interesting. But it also seems like a game that will likely be in a humble bundle and/or cheaper soon enough (though it's only $5 now).

How long is it?

Any opinions on The Fall?

Saw it in the Giant Bomb thread and it looks interesting. But it also seems like a game that will likely be in a humble bundle and/or cheaper soon enough (though it's only $5 now).

How long is it?

It seems really good but I wish it would go down a bit in price, I hear it's only 2-3 hours as it's a first chapter in a planned series of games. At $2.49 I would have totally bit but it does seem like a bundle game.

Shadowplay1979

Gold Member
Was it Bad Rats? Bad form if so.

No, i won't say what it was so they can repost it. It wasnt the game, i just didnt want to tie my steam account with the indie gala website. Also when i tried i hit something wrong and it sent an email to the gifter saying it was confirming that my account was part of their indie gala account. I decided to just unlink my steam account, i will most likely never play the game in question anyway.

If it had been Bad Rats.....i wouldnt take it...but that's only because i already own it.

btw i got a bad rats booster pack a few days ago..the cards actually sold pretty well.

Altima

I never played any of TellTale's previous games but I am a huge fan of the Game of Thrones tv series.

I really liked MGS4 so I may purchase MGS GZ... is it a prequel to the Phantom Pain?

MGSGZ is a must buy imo. It is prequel of Phantom Pain.

I bought GoT but it has only first episode. You can wait for more episodes and purchase all of them at the same time in the future. telltale game has little to no gameplay. There are some QTE and decision making but no actual gameplay.

Hello again.

I took my proceeds from selling all those damn WS cards and bought a gift on Steam to giveaway to the community here but I have no idea if it has an actual code. Can I still use the modbot thing?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hello again.

I took my proceeds from selling all those damn WS cards and bought a gift on Steam to giveaway to the community here but I have no idea if it has an actual code. Can I still use the modbot thing?

Send the gift to your e-mail address and use the redemption URL (https://store.steampowered.com/account/ackgift/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX) as the "key" when creating your giveaway. You can chop off the ?redeemer portion so you're not sharing your e-mail address.

titch

Finally replaced my old PC the day before Xmas, been hitting this sale pretty hard so it's been a great one for me.

Will be strange getting up and not having a load of bargains to mull over.

Send the gift to your e-mail address and use the redemption URL (https://store.steampowered.com/account/ackgift/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX) as the "key" when creating your giveaway. You can chop off the ?redeemer portion so you're not sharing your e-mail address.

Thank you for the reply but I have another question. When I chop off the ?redeemer part the link goes to the login screen but it does not show the gift is ready to redeem part anymore. Is that expected behavior or does that mean it is not detecting the code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom