• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Does Anno 2070 have always online DRM? Can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Frologic

So I got a rare Ragnarok Online 2 item and is worth a shit.

Thanks Gaben!

Same here. I was excited to see its value. 3 whole cents

So I've never played a Counter Strike game before. Is it possible for a complete noob to have fun in CS:GO?

CS: GO was my first CS game and it's a lot of fun to jump into no matter what your skill level is. They have casual modes and you can also play with bots.

Jørdan

Does Operation Bravo expire and the maps become usable on official servers for the rest of the community?

When it expires all the maps are removed from official servers and won't return unless they are included in the next operation pass. The community at large won't be able to play them on official servers at this point but will still have access to community servers running them and the Steam workshop for map downloads.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I've held off on buying anything so far and I just grabbed Batman, the Tomb Raider Complete pack, Far Cry 3, Valdis, Outlast, Saint's Row 4, FF8, and Remember Me.

783458504_924808.gif

So I've never played a Counter Strike game before. Is it possible for a complete noob to have fun in CS:GO?

Yes.

Before starting to play competitive (which I'm still awful at), I had a ton of fun, and still have fun, in casual and deathmatch. There are some great community gun game servers that I've wasted way too much time on

Turfster

Ok, guess that answers my question on whether you need uplay or not lol.

If I were to pick 1 game to purchase before the sale goes bbye, which one of these should I go with?

Farcry 3
Dishonored
Borderlands

Can only spare money for 1 more game at the prices those games are at

Dishonored, no question.

Zia

These will work! Promise!

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Windosill -- MB-F0678C26A1F8F161 - Taken by tylergregg
Machinarium -- MB-14D83DFB6A27AFC2 - Taken by BorntoPlay

Where I found it to distance itself from that came in the use of the Skyline system, and if I had my way, they would have been a part of nearly every combat arena in the game. They offered a level of control and general freedom of movement that allowed you to dictate the flow of battle in a satisfying way. I felt the combat as a whole allowed for a good amount of player expression and the Skyline a refreshing ability to move at speeds uncommon to these types of shooters.
The Skyline never really hooked me, no pun intended. I can appreciate its uses, and I can still vividly recall the encounters that they were in use for -- so that says something about them, but I never really found them to be the quick getaway and landing stun device. I guess I just don't like how limiting they are in their implementation; the mobility is great, but I'd prefer something with a bit more freedom. I might just be speaking to a lack of willingness to go outside my comfort in approaching encounters though.

I've posted about this before but I think the major mistake Irrational made with Bioshock Infinite's combat came down to the randomized gear. Getting certain gear at certain points in the game can drastically change someone's playstyle, and thus enjoyment of the game. The Blood to Salt one alone can have a major impact on someone's use of Vigors, for example.
Funny enough, the randomized gear is one of my favourite aspects about Bioshock Infinite, and personally I wish they went a little further with it than that. I like the little improvisations you make between playthroughs that come from that, and would have preferred that stretch out into vigors and weapons even. Most of all, I just wish 1999 mode did anything close to justifying the name of the difficulty and maybe allowing myself to build my character in a limited and specialized manner, and not just given everything to use.

Does Operation Bravo expire and the maps become usable on official servers for the rest of the community?
If Payback is any indicator, the maps are freely available for community servers (and have already been), but the official matchmaking for those maps will go away.

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
My first of the day!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Slender: The Arrival -- MB-93CE31B860E06BC5 - Taken by alr1ght. 22 entrants total.
Plain Sight -- MB-50C7B8E3821800D0 - Taken by Reg. 1 entrants total.
And Yet It Moves -- MB-E8AAD5C41A50FEC5 - Taken by confuziz. 1 entrants total.

t1388696740z1.png

Eanan

Anyone know what the story is with the Amazon sale and the $5 codes you got if you bought a digital game over xmas? Do we just wait for the codes in an email?

Hesemonni

Banned
My library sucks and thus my Bundle giveaways suck too.
ModBot 3 said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Botanicula -- MB-70F7E17F8345C100 - Taken by ChaoticEko

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Anyone know what the story is with the Amazon sale and the $5 codes you got if you bought a digital game over xmas? Do we just wait for the codes in an email?

The discount is automatically applied when you go to buy a game if I remember correctly.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Modbot 2 said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

And Yet It Moves -- MB-8A8086D78FEF01D2
Snuggle Truck -- MB-6473C90B3611FFCC - Taken by Prophane33

Not the greatest games but someone may want to up their steam count.

Zeliard

Funny enough, the randomized gear is one of my favourite aspects about Bioshock Infinite, and personally I wish they went a little further with it than that. I like the little improvisations you make between playthroughs that come from that, and would have preferred that stretch out into vigors and weapons even. Most of all, I just wish 1999 mode did anything close to justifying the name of the difficulty and maybe allowing myself to build my character in a limited and specialized manner, and not just given everything to use.

The randomized gear can be nice for repeated playthroughs, but I think it can hurt single playthroughs, which is what will affect most players. If you're only intending on playing through the game once and the selection of gear you end up with for much of the game doesn't really fit your playstyle, that's probably going to hamper your enjoyment.

I was fortunate to have gear early on that fit nicely with what I like to do (and that was without ever reloading a checkpoint), but it's likely many others weren't as fortunate. Perhaps the randomization is something they could have allowed as an additional option once someone has beaten the game.

Omega

Banned

if it's like last year, it should automatically apply on checkout

i haven't bought a game from amazon this sale so I don't know if it's still the case

Jomjom

Banned
Arghhhh once again Law & Order: Legacies gets nothing except for the general 50% discount. Come on TellTale, I've already gotten Walking Dead Season 1 for $4.99, why is L&O, an older game still $9.99!?!?!

When's the next sale, Summer?

Grief.exe

The discount is automatically applied when you go to buy a game if I remember correctly.

if it's like last year, it should automatically apply on checkout

i haven't bought a game from amazon this sale so I don't know if it's still the case

Also doesn't start until the 3rd.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Hello all. I hope the final day of sale has been productive, or at least enjoyable as you look over all the games you gotten. I know I have several I can't wait to play, though for now I must settle for what this laptop can play like Bleed, a surprisingly good high score chasing side-scroller that combines platforming with twin stick shooting in a humorous package.

Also as a bit of bragging, please excuse it as it's from happiness, I finally got a background I wanted. http://steamcommunity.com/id/kenofthedead/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom