• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

What exactly makes it shine on harder difficulties?

Bullet sponge enemies? Boring enemies? Bad AI? Two weapon limit?

Decrease the difficulty, experience the story. The actual gameplay of Infinite isn't very good.

This was mentioned a few times but playing Burial at Sea (nice start but too short) I remembered that there's a weapon wheel. Hold 'Y' and you can choose from every gun you ever picked up.

Grief.exe

If the cards get <5 cents I will go ahead and craft a level 10 badge.

Pretty relaxing symbol you get

fe3428359524171a2debfe9ce47402e81e936fc8.png

ss_lemonade

Thank you Jshackles for ES.

If it weren't for the extension I wouldn't know Anno2070 had TAGES and Uplay. Will I buy a game with UPlay AND TAGES?
Ok, guess that answers my question on whether you need uplay or not lol.

If I were to pick 1 game to purchase before the sale goes bbye, which one of these should I go with?

Farcry 3
Dishonored
Borderlands

Can only spare money for 1 more game at the prices those games are at

I see pirates of the Caribbean for sale as a pc download on amazon and gamefly what drm does it use thinking of getting it to complete my lego collection?

Cth

Thanks for the opinions on lonely Borderlands. Going to give it a think while I watch a film.

Solo is fine.

In fact, I'd argue in general multi is worse.

The reasoning being that at this stage people have played the game. That means they're not going to want to listen to the same dialog over and over, so you will be very lost. So when it comes time to leave the group, you are going to have no idea what to do.

In some cases, joining a game will mark quests complete that you haven't played yet.. so you're in the same boat (in the middle of a mission you have no idea how it started)

If you don't care about the story (which it sounds like some here don't) and just want to shoot stuff multi is fine.

I'd say play it through once solo (you're going to likely play it through another time with another class/etc)

It's great playing multiplayer if you get a good group of people you know or someone who's willing to be patient while you listen to characters set things up.

Then again, I play most multiplayers solo and for the story these days :D

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
probably has something to do with the unlimited level of the badge and the cards disappearing after the sale
Yeah, I think if we were going to see prices go up akin to the summer sale (so by about $0.10) it would have started by now. The rise in card prices at the end of that sale started on the 20th...two days before it was over. Thinking about it, it might be too soon to call. Prices have gone up by about one cent. If they're another four cents higher by 9 PM, maybe it will be similar.

Though the number of cards on the market is decreasing now, which is a surprise to me. I expected it would just hover around 100k per card until expiration, but #8 (for example) has dropped from 103k to 90k over the last sixteen hours or so. That rate of consumption is still nowhere near high enough for all the cards to be gone before the end, but...

derExperte

If the cards get <5 cents I will go ahead and craft a level 10 badge.

Pretty relaxing symbol you get

fe3428359524171a2debfe9ce47402e81e936fc8.png

I might do the same but the prices have jumped back up. Guess they only went down for a short while because people saw the reminder on the frontpage about the expiration date.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013

If I were to pick 1 game to purchase before the sale goes bbye, which one of these should I go with?

Farcry 3
Dishonored
Borderlands

If you like stealth games, get Dishonored. It's a great "play how you want" game.
I have not played the others, so I won't comment on them.

Cth

Kind of sucks that the market for the Christmas cards hasn't crashed to 0.01$ each yet. I am hoping it will in the last couple of hours of the sale tomorrow, so I can forge the badge on the cheap.

Speaking of cheap, look for people who just need one card and are willing to part with multiples in exchange.

If you don't mind buying a card for 14 or so, you can get multiple cards for near the equivalent (.3-.5 ea) If they back out or found someone in the meantime, you've got a start on the set either way.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Tages and Uplay? Really bad.

Its actually worse.

Atmosphere in Infinite only lasts for about the first 20 minutes.
The shooting mechanics are much better in B2 and Infinite over the first game though. Bioshock 2 gets the nod by a wide margin over Infinite due to numerous strange design decisions in the latter.
Story in Infinite is the best of the three however.
Why can't we have a BioShock with Medal of Honor: Allied Assault-like levels of shooting mechanics? I'm not asking for a F.E.A.R. here; hell, even something akin to Jedi Outcast would be satisfying.

The atmosphere, setting and plot made the first game for me. The gameplay (on Hard) totally broke it; putting it on Easy fixed the bullet sponginess of the enemies, but not the unsatisfying combat. I feel it's such a waste, because it looked very promising at first.

Sullichin

Decrease the difficulty, experience the story. The actual gameplay of Infinite isn't very good.

I know some people think so, but it was my favorite shooter of 2013 and I played a lot of them. I found myself using a lot more vigor/weapon combinations on harder difficulties and I just had a lot of fun pushing people into tesla coils, setting crow traps on fire, doing some crowd control with bucking bronco and finishing them off with some carbine headshots. You also have to stay moving a lot more. Plus, the lose-money-when-you-respawn system actually has consequence on 1999 mode. The only thing I don't like about that game is the bullshit
3x Lady Comstock fights

derExperte

That's only in Burial At Sea, though.

Oh, really? Interesting.

I know some people think so, but it was my favorite shooter of 2013 and I played a lot of them. I found myself using a lot more vigor/weapon combinations on harder difficulties and I just had a lot of fun pushing people into tesla coils, setting crow traps on fire, doing some crowd control with bucking bronco and finishing them off with some carbine headshots. You also have to stay moving a lot more. Plus, the lose-money-when-you-respawn system actually has consequence on 1999 mode. The only thing I don't like about that game is the bullshit
3x Lady Comstock fights

Agreed only that I did most of that already on the normal difficulty.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Just Cause 2 or Counter Strike?

Just Cause 2 is really popular now, so things like the multiplayer mod will have lots of people to play with. Counter Strike, however, will be popular for many more years. I would get JC2.

GO?

Well what are you into? Do you want an insanely crazy fun open world game or a competitive online shooter experience?
I've been wanting both for a while, but I don't see myself playing both. The problem with these sales is not having the time to play all the games you purchase, so I'm only getting one.

Zeliard

I started the game on Hard initially because I was going into it in pretty much blackout, so I didn't know you could start off on 1999 but either way I didn't find the combat too satisfying. I thought it fell too hard under the influence of the typical regenerating health shooter approach of getting your shots in, get tapped, wait a couple seconds, repeat.

Where I found it to distance itself from that came in the use of the Skyline system, and if I had my way, they would have been a part of nearly every combat arena in the game. They offered a level of control and general freedom of movement that allowed you to dictate the flow of battle in a satisfying way. I felt the combat as a whole allowed for a good amount of player expression and the Skyline a refreshing ability to move at speeds uncommon to these types of shooters.

When I replayed 1999 mode afterwards I didn't find the combat to be much different on the whole, my approach for the regular encounters was practically unchanged; but the Handymen and
Lady Comstock
just became grueling to compensate -- and not in an interesting or satisfying way, but more in the keep sprinting and getting your shots in and this encounter is going on three times longer than it has any right to way.

With the much-maligned Handyman fights, I'd use the Skyline to lure him to various traps (sticking Devil's Kiss bombs on the rail as he passes through, frying him with the tesla coil while opening shots to his heart up with Undertow, etc). You could inflict significant amounts of damage to him in a relatively short amount of time. I liked his great mobility around the battlefield and his aggressive, hard-hitting nature, and I thought those characteristics made him fun and tense to fight.

I've posted about this before but I think the major mistake Irrational made with Bioshock Infinite's combat came down to the randomized gear. Getting certain gear at certain points in the game can drastically change someone's playstyle, and thus enjoyment of the game. The Blood to Salt one alone can have a major impact on someone's use of Vigors, for example.

Curious_George

Neo Member

Farcry 3
Dishonored
Borderlands

Dishonored had my favorite setting and gameplay of the bunch. Moment to moment it was the most fun to play as well (note: I enjoy stealth games). But Borderlands is better if you plan to play multiplayer. I definitely put more time in Borderlands than any of the others, but that was due to the coop experience. Farcry 3 was a good too, but the story was pretty bad and the open world mission structure quickly felt repetitive. As a single player experience I thought Dishonored was the better game.

Not sure why you're always so hung up about weapon limits. F.E.A.R and Bulletstorm (highly regarded games in this thread) have weapon limits, yet no one complains about them.

Grief.exe

Does Operation Bravo expire and the maps become usable on official servers for the rest of the community?

gBU6J3e.png

Not sure why you're always so hung up about weapon limits. F.E.A.R and Bulletstorm (highly regarded games in this thread) have weapon limits, yet no one complains about them.

Playing Bioshock 2 really made me realize that every encounter was made far more interesting with the introduction of multiple weapons and ammo types.

Makes each encounter fresh and your choices dynamic, rather than a completely linear progression until you find a new gun.

PBalfredo

For Civ V, if you have Brave New World, you don't need Gods and Kings, correct?

Specifically the situation is my friend has Civ V Gold + G&K + BNW. I have regular Civ V (plus some of the extra civs) + BNW. We should be able to play together just fine without any big discrepancy without me needing to upgrade to Civ V Gold, correct?

Ruze789

Less than a day until we loose that very relaxing & Zen snow dropping on the Store page. I'll miss it!

I've noticed myself several times just leaving Steam open and spacing out with that snowglobe. And my 3 year old daughter loves watching it with me too. I shall miss it too.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Overlord II -- MB-4DD23E56CF745420 - Taken by Intheflorsh. 10 entrants total.

t1388705924z1.png

Grief.exe

For Civ V, if you have Brave New World, you don't need Gods and Kings, correct?

Specifically the situation is my friend has Civ V Gold + G&K + BNW. I have regular Civ V (plus some of the extra civs) + BNW. We should be able to play together just fine without any big discrepancy without me needing to upgrade to Civ V Gold, correct?

All the mechanics from G&K are carried over to BNW, you just miss out on some civs and ulterior changes.

The_Monk

I've noticed myself several times just leaving Steam open and spacing out with that snowglobe. And my 3 year old daughter loves watching it with me too. I shall miss it too.

Aww, that's cute. If you use Big Picture mode and let it idle, after some time the menu vanishes and you will see more snow drop too. I like these little details. :)

Like yesterday when playing GRID 2 and the voice from the game calling my name and wishing me a Happy New Year.

zreese

Neo Member
I was waiting until the last day of the sale to pick up a bunch of stuff from my wishlist (in case something was a daily or flash deal), but now Steam is showing me no discounts for any of the items I have on my wishlist. There were definitely deals for them earlier in the week. Is that an error, or have the catalog wide deals ended?

Grief.exe

Aww, that's cute. If you use Big Picture mode and let it idle, after some time the menu vanishes and you will see more snow drop too. I like these little details. :)

Like yesterday when playing GRID 2 and the voice from the game calling my name and wishing me a Happy New Year.

You will like this then, if you have the mobile app shake your phone and snow will fall.

I was waiting until the last day of the sale to pick up a bunch of stuff from my wishlist (in case something was a daily or flash deal), but now Steam is showing me no discounts for any of the items I have on my wishlist. There were definitely deals for them earlier in the week. Is that an error, or have the catalog wide deals ended?

They ended general discounts this morning at the start of the encore sale for some reason.

Playing Bioshock 2 really made me realize that every encounter was made far more interesting with the introduction of multiple weapons and ammo types.

Makes each encounter fresh and your choices dynamic, rather than a completely linear progression until you find a new gun.

Fair point. It's not like I prefer weapon limits and I do think Bio2 has the best gameplay aside from the harvest defend segments (having 4-6 per level was tedious). But in Infinite this didn't bother me much. I was hopping and running around a lot, picking up weapons when I could. Made my encounters more frantic.

Volotaire

Didn't realise all/most of the other titles that were on sale without being in Community/Flash/Daily Sales ended today. Was looking to pick up some cheap games.

Glix

Valdis looks really really nice. Even after watching the trailer I didn't expect it to look this good.

It's also smooth as butter.

I'm very excited to dig in.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

you could always save the html page, or dig around the page to find the script running the snow.

tjohn86

Enjoy!

Modbot 2 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Overlord 2 -- MB-4472716FA57D1F2C - Taken by The Red Wizard
Overlord and Overlord Raising Hell -- MB-B8E558E636690B90 - Taken by MadBrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom