• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Well Remember Me is certainly a looker, performance is out the park as well (UE3 just keeps on cranking it out). Story has a William Gibson, Phillip K Dick slant from what I've played so far but the art direction is really top notch. Can see the complaints about the gameplay ringing true (at times has felt like God Hand with staggered pauses between moves but your certainly more mobile) but I'm not exactly expecting Platinum level of smoothness.

On the subject of AC IV, the performance since release has shot up with Nvidias driver support (don't know about AMD sorry). Half the problem is some people trying to crank all the settings up to max without knowing their implementation or how they will impact performance. For example setting environment detail to very high is asking for trouble as it will render higher quality details at full range compared to high which is just in the immediate vicinity. If you get up high on a rooftop or view point it will tank your frame rate with next to no visual benefit unless your playing at a high native res unless your running a killer sli or crossfire setup. HBAO+ is another costly effect (though it is one of the better AO effects I've seen) due to the amount of foliage and ropes in the game. If your sensible and dial things back a little you can get better than console visuals with 60fps on reasonably hardware.

gilljoy

I picked up the walking dead and its all but unplayable :( mouse doesn't seem to work properly and just seems to trace the outline of the screen.

Anyone else encountered this?

Grief.exe

How long until the steam thread goes up?

About 20 hours.

Deciding on playing either Metro 2033 or one of the Stalker games tonight. Feeling something Russian, any votes?

Can't go wrong with either, Stalker games aren't currently discounted though.

EDIT: After rereading, you probably already own both. 2033 if you are in for a linear shooter, or STALKER:SoC if you want to play a more open-world variety. STALKER is more janky while 2033 has the better shooting mechanics and polish. Its hard to tanglibly say why STALKER:SoC is such an amazing game. There are some issues with it but the story, atmosphere, sounds, and general gameplay are just awesome and completely unique.

Both aren't Finnish games however.

SE really needs to make a remake of this game.

Use HD pre-rendered backgrounds and updated models and be done with it.

If they are going to bother making a remake, they need much more than just a graphical update. I love ff7 and just beat it again about a week ago. They could improve a lot of things in the game, especially the UI.

bkw

It should work as humnle bundle gifts
This is machinarium and Lume, i do not know why there is only a key
Got this. Thanks wazoo!

The humble download page only says it's just Lume? (which is what I wanted anyway) Just letting you know in case Machinarium is still sitting with you and you want to do something with it.

Cth

Wish I could help.. I tried looking for GAF people selling cheap copies of Game Dev Tycoon or Amnesia Machine for Pigs..

No such luck.. nothing on Amazon either (I have some Paypal cash left over)

I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I manage to find something.

denx

Also, good haul this time, one of the better Steam sales I've had in awhile! :)

Yeah, I also feel this was the best Steam sale in a while. It probably is because of the increased variety of games on Flash and Community deals, whereas in past sales we got a ton of repeats.

T-Matt

About 20 hours.

Can't go wrong with either, Stalker games aren't currently discounted though.

EDIT: After rereading, you probably already own both. 2033 if you are in for a linear shooter, or STALKER if you want to play a more open-world variety. STALKER is more janky while 2033 has the better shooting mechanics and polish.

Both aren't Finnish games however.

Thanks for your recommendation.That makes me lean towards Metro then, Stalker might be a better weekend game.

- J - D -

Looks like Modbot came back to life and the Ys giveaway has been done!

Congrats to all winners! I hope you actually play them :p. And also spread the word about the games .

Thanks so much! I had bought Oath and Origins, and waited too long to decide if I wanted wanted chronicles and the sale on it ended. Lucky me!.

Grief.exe

Thanks for your recommendation.That makes me lean towards Metro then, Stalker might be a better weekend game.

I did throw an edit in there that might sway you back towards Stalker, but Metro is much shorter and would be a better game for one or two nights.

Man, I crafted the sales badge five times and all I got was junk for games I do not and will not ever play. I really don't like that you get a random item from a random free to play game. You should at least be able to choose the game. I don't want War Thunder, Warframe or Spiral Knights shit, I'm never playing those games, ever.

denx

Man, I crafted the sales badge five times and all I got was junk for games I do not and will not ever play. I really don't like that you get a random item from a random free to play game. You should at least be able to choose the game. I don't want War Thunder, Warframe or Spiral Knights shit, I'm never playing those games, ever.

Would you trade your Warframe junk for my Ragnarok Online 2 junk?

chixdiggit

Everybody would just pick TF2 and/or Dota making the items worthless.

If they are going to bother making a remake, they need much more than just a graphical update. I love ff7 and just beat it again about a week ago. They could improve a lot of things in the game, especially the UI.

Game really needs a new localization. Nostalgia be damned, that script needs some help, especially by today's standards.

That would be nice, but I'll take an updated graphical remake alone if that means I'll get it at all. Other stuff like UI and translation are secondary.

komorebi

On the subject of AC IV, the performance since release has shot up with Nvidias driver support (don't know about AMD sorry). Half the problem is some people trying to crank all the settings up to max without knowing their implementation or how they will impact performance. For example setting environment detail to very high is asking for trouble as it will render higher quality details at full range compared to high which is just in the immediate vicinity. If you get up high on a rooftop or view point it will tank your frame rate with next to no visual benefit unless your playing at a high native res unless your running a killer sli or crossfire setup. HBAO+ is another costly effect (though it is one of the better AO effects I've seen) due to the amount of foliage and ropes in the game. If your sensible and dial things back a little you can get better than console visuals with 60fps on reasonably hardware.

Here's my experience with AC4. I'm playing on a GTX770 with a stock i7 2600k. I had to use D3DOverrider to force triple buffering as it wasn't working from the Nvidia control panel. I also enabled variable V-Sync because the game was shifting between 60 and 30 fps only, with nothing in between. Once I did all this I was able to get around 60fps with the proper settings, keeping everything around mid-high as I prefer performance. AO causes big frame rate dips no matter what setting I've tried so I've left that off to try and spare myself the insane screen tearing. I wish I could keep it on though because it looks great.

I'm kind of curious if I could force a 30fps cap and crank things up but when I tried to limit the frame rate to 60 (while trouble shooting the above) I got strange tearing that wouldn't go away even with v-sync.

I'm hoping for even better performance from future drivers and/or patches.

FYC

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Valdis Story -- MB-52C81DE6A1CFA6CD - Taken by BorntoPlay

Addicts arise
When I arrive

I need some help SteamGAF. For some reason the steamcommunity.com site has decided that I am Turkish. As such, it is displaying everything written in Turkish. As amusing as I originally found this to be I am now ready to revert back to my native English language. How do I fix it? Oh, I am using chrome as my browser if that matters.

Gvaz

Banned
So... Pool Nation never got a Daily or Flash deal and lost its community vote to a snow board/skiing free to play game that is in alpha stage..... They really need to scrap community votes and double up on flash sales.

I bought way to many things across digital stores during this sale, kinda silly as I was looking to only buy 4 things initially. Hopefully Testament of Sherlock Holmes pops up if there is a recap sale later today....

Oh and this will be $9.99 during Summer Sale 2014, right Activision?
summer2014tendolla8qsrd.png

I'll wait then.
tumblr_lml12yym8c1qdsw9sg0.gif

It's really bad and not worth $5. It was like halflife with shitty time manipulation, shitty guns, and shitty story rolled all in one.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is there an end in Dark Souls or is everything just "endless"?

There's a storyline finish, but THE TRUE DEMONS SOU--er--DARK SOULS BEGINS HERE in New Game+/++/+++/++++/+++++/++++++...

Leatherface

The battle for my dollars:

Metro: Last Light
Bioshock infinite
XCOM

WINNER:

XCOM!!!!

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I made the right choice. :)

I need some help SteamGAF. For some reason the steamcommunity.com site has decided that I am Turkish. As such, it is displaying everything written in Turkish. As amusing as I originally found this to be I am now ready to revert back to my native English language. How do I fix it? Oh, I am using chrome as my browser if that matters.
Click on your account name on the top right of the page and select the third option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom