• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmizzal

yep, DERP's posts made it seem like a different group/person was attacking Steam.

So it is a dick waving contest between DERP and that guy. Just great. :/

edit: so that guy is not alone, he actually has a partner in crime in DDOS'ing Steam. Ugh.

How can these guys get away wit that? They are on twitter cant they be tracked?

yep, DERP's posts made it seem like a different group/person was attacking Steam.

So it is a dick waving contest between DERP and that guy. Just great. :/

Looking at his twitter feed. He's a pleasant little fuckwit, isn't he?

The internet. Ruining it for everyone since 19XX.

jmizzal

I mean even if you could track them, then what? It's not like people who DDOS stuff are convicted.

Taking down a companies server should get you convicted, steam and Orgin are losing Valve and EA money, and people pay money to use those servers, these guys belong in jail.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Not that I'm taunting, but this is one of those rare occasions where Steam's servers are down and Enhanced Steam's servers are up.
oh shit I'm doomed now

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Amazon probably built a distribution center in your state. Thats when they start taxing. :( i think they are doing something like 2-3 more states next year. Including Florida.

edit: I meant this year 2014 not next lol confuse. Fla, CA, MD, and Wisconsin will all start paying taxes in amazon this year.

Please no. The reason I buy off Amazon is no sales tax. :/ I can understand for retail, but what is that sales tax going toward for online purchases? Double-so if I'm buying for services like PSN or Steam. :/

Anyone had this happen in ACIV? Made me audibly shout in surprise as I looked away for a second after getting on a rowboat and saw myself falling in my peripheral.
C93D129581058127C25A5989BA7A8E8CE9F867A7

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Please no. The reason I buy off Amazon is no sales tax. :/ I can understand for retail, but what is that sales tax going toward for online purchases? Double-so if I'm buying for services like PSN or Steam. :/

The only solution - move to Oregon. No sales tax on anything, physical or virtual.

jshackles

What, why? How do they do taxes? Income?

Property, mostly. Which is why I don't own my home.

We also collect a lot of $$$ from companies in exchange for using our natural resources.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
What, why? How do they do taxes? Income?
Some things are a bit more expensive here (things like oil, in some areas housing, etc), but there is no sales tax in Oregon on anything, and having an Oregonian address on your credit card makes nothing online have tax either.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Steam can't be down. It's STEAM!

I also need to take advantage of this last day of the sale. :(

Dusk Golem

Property, mostly. Which is why I don't own my home.

We also collect a lot of $$$ from companies in exchange for using our natural resources.
Shackles, I didn't know you lived in Oregon also! That explains the beer comment a few days ago though.

Hello Steam GAF, it's good to be back.

I was without internet for the past month, it was awful, lol. However, I did actually play through some of my games, so that's something. My thoughts:

Cryostasis - If I had my time over, I probably wouldn't play this. It's not particularly bad or anything, but not particularly good either. I hated the Mental Echos, far too much trial and error. I wasn't a fan of the story either. The gunplay was fine and the heat being health thing was interesting. Overall, I'm very meh on this one.

LA Noire - I had played through a fair chunk of this before, I think up to the fourth desk. I like where they went with the story, it got quite gripping towards the end. The facial technology they use is unreal, by far the best I've seen. Getting in actual actors and tracking their facial movements will do that. Not really feasible for most developers cost wise I imagine, but definitely necessary for this one (where eye movement, body language etc are key to telling whether someone is telling the truth or lying). Overall, awesome game.

Max Payne 3 - Max Cutscene. Well, during the middle of the game it does get excessive, though, most of the time it is ok. I had fun with it, but I wouldn't say it's one of my favourite games. Overall rating, above average.

Bulletstorm - Kickass game. I would have played it much sooner if I knew how entertaining it would be.

NBA 2K13 - I played a whole season of this. 82 games... I don't even like basketball that much! lol. It's a testament to how well made it is, that I stuck with it. My Career mode is cool. The commentary in this is outstanding too, it feels very natural.

I played a few others, not to completion though. It was a long, long month. Now, I'll probably go back to only playing Dota.

Oh, I have 57 updates to download and 380 emails to go through. Fun times ahead.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The only solution - move to Oregon. No sales tax on anything, physical or virtual.

Only if you bring back Dollhouse as a movie, and global warm Oregon enough to where I only have 60 degree winters, Joss. :(

jshackles

Shackles, I didn't know you lived in Oregon also! That explains the beer comment a few days ago though.

Yeah, you'd think I was a native (since I really love it here) but I actually only moved here about 4 years ago.

Still, I also wouldn't mind living in Washington State... perhaps Bellvue?

bonesquad

I'm starting to hate The Swapper. The game's making me feel stupid:( I just can't fathom right now how are few of these are even possible. I feel like I'm missing something.

To be fair I think most of the games I got during the sale are doing a good job of reminding me how much I suck at video games... :)

Should I buy Binary Domain? It's $3.75 on Amazon.

Do you enjoy Gears of War or cover-based-shooters in general? If so, most definitely. Switching to robots means shrapnel and bits are flying everywhere (albeit it seems like the game compensates for the weaker nature of the rank-n-file troops by throwing wayyy more of them at you), the supporting cast is dumb in an entertaining and sometimes way (the french android and Big Bo are... something), there's more boss fights than other CBSs, and the "Consequence" system is interesting, if a bit underdeveloped.

It's a bit padded here and there, and could have been a touch shorter, but you'll get way more than $3.75 out of it if you don't mind cover based shooters.

yuraya

It is kind of sad. I always chose Amazon over others because I would save hundreds on just sales tax alone. I will probably stick with them tho because they still have better service than most other places. Especially when it comes to delivery. As for digital taxes I think its the same concept as physical. The money goes towards the state you live in and more jobs will be created. or so they say. States counted up all the money they are missing out on and quickly legislated new laws so they get a piece of the action :(

kudoboi

so someone is ddosing origin and steam as well as a bunch of other games a few days ago.

edit: well, a group and 2 dudes

Coreda

So caved in and bought Dark Souls on Amazon for $5.99 (plus silly .50 tax). Once I have my new PC up and running I'll see how I go!

Edit: also bought Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. Nice. Turns out the 'Download' purchase option does in fact give you the key.

Dusk Golem

Yeah, you'd think I was a native (since I really love it here) but I actually only moved here about 4 years ago.

Still, I also wouldn't mind living in Washington State... perhaps Bellvue?
Bellvue is a second home to me as I ha family living there for many years and visited there for several weeks at a time usually several times a year when I was younger. It's a nice city, most of the houses aren't huge and the town has definite 'zones', as I call them, like where downtown is, where the living places are, where a shopping area is, is all pretty obvious once you see the areas. It can be cloudy like parts of Portland, but also rather nice weather the other half of the years. An of course, just a skip away from Seattle. Plus being here is obviously beneficial if you want a job in games, as so many game studios, including Nintendo and Microsoft, are stationed around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom