• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I got Guacamelee, Valdis Story, and Ys this sale. Gonna give my 360 controller a workout.

Guacamelee is really good. At first I was really confused by the combo system, but after a while it's getting pretty intuitive. Really good platforming elements too.

Jusoni

Awww yiss, bought a DS4-controller just for pc-gaming. Shame my bluetooth adapter is a piece of shit and wireless won't work. Luckily it works like a charm wired. Controller itself feels really nice and firm. A big improvement from the DS3.
Time for some Valdis. Heard a lot of good about it.

Why? Because Tucker's Law:

tucker__s_law_by_todyo1798-d46atp7.png

Rlan

My Steam Sale pickups:

Tomb Raider Collection (New + Old Tomb Raiders)
Rogue Legacy
Ducktales
Papers Please
Guacalemee
Gone Home
Gunslinger
Blood Dragon
Brothers
Duke Nukem 1 & 2

Also got the Indie Royal Bundle, so I have Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate too.

Only game I wanted but didn't get was The Stanley Parable, just wanted it to go a little lower in price.

Just before the holidays I hooked up my old computer to the TV, so a lot of these games should be easily playable on it with an Xbox 360 controller.

Nabs

So that green notification icon that's been bothering me for the last hour was a CKII coupon? Okay.

Know it's beating on a dead horse in here, but not too happy about discounts not lasting 'til January 3rd as advertised. Wanted to snag up a few indie titles (like Receiver) on the last day like I did with previous sales, so this caught me off guard. Lesson learned.

Though to be honest, I also should've paid some attention to the timer visible on individual store pages.

My god, I'm still playing Spelunky.

It's been nearly 8 hours. What is this madness.
I've played Spelunky for over 200 hours total by now, ever since it's been released on Steam. Once it hooks you in...

Plasma

Banned
Know it's beating on a dead horse in here, but not too happy about discounts not lasting 'til January 3rd as advertised. Wanted to snag up a few indie titles (like Receiver) on the last day like I did with previous sales, so this caught me off guard. Lesson learned.

Same I usually wait until the last day when I know it won't pop up on a daily deal, I had a few I was going to pick up as well.

Knurek

Sums up my thoughts on Black Mesa

I've looked up some videos on original Half-Life, wish I played that game (with BMS assets if possible). Human enemies were so immensely overpowered every time a section with marines came up I seriously contemplated removing the mod from my disc.

Ugh.

Headcrabs were seriously overpowered. Looking at HL1 videos, those were just minor annoyance - here they could take you from 100/100 to 15/0 in a matter of seconds. Other monsters had the same problems - those lightning sprouting aliens were just deadly and needed much more ammo to be taken down, poison spitters could spot and spit (removing half of your health in one go) on you from half a mile.

Ugh. Ugh.

The ammo capacity reduction is also a headscratcher. Seriously, you guys, if you make all enemies bullet sponges, you should increase it, not decrease it. O_O Who would want to play with a crossbow limited to 15 bolts? MP5 limited to 3 grenades? Glock limited to 18 bullets?

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Really happy I made it through, hopefully HL2 will not be as borked design-wise (Volvo, pls).

Sajjaja

Though to be honest, I also should've paid some attention to the timer visible on individual store pages.

They're being punished for their crimes.

I swear if my account is compromised I will fucking go apeshit.

drgambit

Banned

I've looked up some videos on original Half-Life, wish I played that game (with BMS assets if possible). Human enemies were so immensely overpowered every time a section with marines came up I seriously contemplated removing the mod from my disc.

Ugh.

Headcrabs were seriously overpowered. Looking at HL1 videos, those were just minor annoyance - here they could take you from 100/100 to 15/0 in a matter of seconds. Other monsters had the same problems - those lightning sprouting aliens were just deadly and needed much more ammo to be taken down, poison spitters could spot and spit (removing half of your health in one go) on you from half a mile.

Ugh. Ugh.

The ammo capacity reduction is also a headscratcher. Seriously, you guys, if you make all enemies bullet sponges, you should increase it, not decrease it. O_O Who would want to play with a crossbow limited to 15 bolts? MP5 limited to 3 grenades? Glock limited to 18 bullets?

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Really happy I made it through, hopefully HL2 will not be as borked design-wise (Volvo, pls).

Wow, I always thought something was different about Black Mesa. I guess I wasn't the only one...

Tagyhag

They did go after Origin.

I know it's bad to say but I'm glad that they're attacking giants like Steam and Origin, it'll just make their getting caught that much faster.

You want to DDOS something but also want attention at the same time? You're playing with fire folks.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
man I can't beat Magus in valdis story using Reina, takes forever to get the dude and the angel's health down.
Magus is a woman, according to the in-game lore. :) You're destroying the orange crystal first, right?

If you have the skill that makes kick guard break, it's really really useful, because you can stun her when she blocks and then combo her ass (and attack with an assistant too, I only had the wolf when I encountered her but it sometimes stunned her even more). You can buff your fist with ice magic for extra damage too, IIRC.

If something good has to come from this DDOS shit is that maybe Valve will improve their servers and security so that this doesn't happen again.

denx

Ugh.

Ugh. Ugh.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Did you play on normal or hard?

I agree that marines were way overpowered and having to crouch-jump for everything was incredibly annoying, but you can fix that by changing some values in the skill.cfg file. Here are some examples. These fixes made the game so much more enjoyable for me.

And btw, personally I didn't have any problem with the weapons and ammo clips, but you can change that as well if it's bugging you.

joe2187

Banned
Just got around to playing some of my steam sale games.

Wow. Ys Origin is an amazing game. I cant believe I slept on this series so long.

Such a beautiful fun RPG with great combat, bosses and action. It's fucking fantastic.

cicero

I would have thought that the Snow Globe card prices would have gone down a bit by now, they are actually rising. Do people really think that 80,000 cards are going to sell in eight hours?

Oublieux

Just got around to playing some of my steam sale games.

Wow. Ys Origin is an amazing game. I cant believe I slept on this series so long.

Such a beautiful fun RPG with great combat, bosses and action. It's fucking fantastic.

I picked this game up during an older Steam sale around 1 year ago. I blazed through the game in a few days, which is rare for me. Just so very ridiculously fun.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Why do I have to link a credit card to Paypal if I already linked my bank account? I thought the whole point of Paypal was to not use the damn credit card. T_T

Im feeling dumb as fuck tbh.

Can someone educate me on Paypal? >.>

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I got:

MGR: Revengence
Lego Marvel
Injustice
ACIV
Gone Home
Brothers
The Stanley Parable
The Swapper
Valdis Story
The Bureau
Shadow Warrior
Demonicon

Spent about $100 USD. Pretty good value for money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom