• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1lla21

How long has it been down? I barely tried getting on the store 30 minutes ago and saw that it wasn't working and I thought it was just me until I clicked this thread.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Bellvue is a second home to me as I ha family living there for many years and visited there for several weeks at a time usually several times a year when I was younger. It's a nice city, most of the houses aren't huge and the town has definite 'zones', as I call them, like where downtown is, where the living places are, where a shopping area is, is all pretty obvious once you see the areas. It can be cloudy like parts of Portland, but also rather nice weather the other half of the years. An of course, just a skip away from Seattle. Plus being here is obviously beneficial if you want a job in games, as so many game studios, including Nintendo and Microsoft, are stationed around here.

Sounds pretty awesome. I obviously have my sights set on one game company specifically. ;)

I have grandparents that live in Seattle, and it's where my mom grew up. I've only been up to that area about 4 times in my life though (one of those trips being specifically to walk around Valve).

oipic

Hello Steam GAF, it's good to be back.

I was without internet for the past month, it was awful, lol. However, I did actually play through some of my games, so that's something. <snip>

Welcome back, hammer! Was it liberating in any sort of way to be internet-free for that long? Sometimes I wish I could disconnect for a bit... but then, you know, GAF.

A few of those games you had time to play are queued up on my backlog, which I'm forever trying to prioritise, so your thoughts and feedback are appreciated - thanks!

DukeBobby

I'm starting to hate The Swapper. The game's making me feel stupid:( I just can't fathom right now how are few of these are even possible. I feel like I'm missing something.

To be fair I think most of the games I got during the sale are doing a good job of reminding me how much I suck at video games... :)

I'm not ashamed to admit that I used a walkthrough to do the last couple of puzzles.

I'm a little ashamed.

Grief.exe

Hello Steam GAF, it's good to be back.

I was without internet for the past month, it was awful, lol. However, I did actually play through some of my games, so that's something. My thoughts:

As soon as you come back, Steam is down from DDOS attacks. Can't catch a break!

Welcome back!

Colin.

People that constantly undercut on the market suck. A foil I have that sold for £1.92 a mere 5 days ago now has a lowest price of £1.04. May as well keep the thing at this point, see if the market stops being insane in the near future.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You know what isn't DDOSed? The 3DS, man this thing is fucking awesome, first Zelda and now Fire Emblem, good shit.

Speaking of, I'm going to destroy your puny little 3 games in January challenge Grief, almost done with Blood Knights

Artofwar420

People that constantly undercut on the market suck. A foil I have that sold for £1.92 a mere 5 days ago now has a lowest price of £1.04. May as well keep the thing at this point, see if the market stops being insane in the near future.

There's not much near future left though isn't there?

HoosTrax

I really wish people would stop misusing the word "hack" in general. Social engineering to trawl for passwords (phishing) is not hacking -- it involves no technical skill. DDoSing is not hacking (of the system being DDoSed) -- although there might have been legitimate hacking of the zombie machines taken over to perform the DDoS -- there is no security compromise of the server attacked.

Basically, overuse of the term is giving script kiddies way more credit than they deserve.

Anyways, anyone know if achievements are working right now? I assume yes since I saw that leaderboards seemed to be working.

Grief.exe

You know what isn't DDOSed? The 3DS, man this thing is fucking awesome, first Zelda and now Fire Emblem, good shit.

Speaking of, I'm going to destroy your puny little 3 games in January challenge Grief, almost done with Blood Knights

Lol! I'm actually playing Fire Emblem right now while I lay in bed! Felt like playing some 3DS before bed, and now here I am.

I going to destroy that challenge too, don't have to go back to school until the 21st!

You should also look into Shin Megami Tensei IV if you haven't already.

Just beat it in December!

And bravely default, but let's not get even more off topic :)

PC + 3DS is such a good next-gen combo that we always devolve into that discussion.

drgambit

Banned
Bellvue is a second home to me as I ha family living there for many years and visited there for several weeks at a time usually several times a year when I was younger. It's a nice city, most of the houses aren't huge and the town has definite 'zones', as I call them, like where downtown is, where the living places are, where a shopping area is, is all pretty obvious once you see the areas. It can be cloudy like parts of Portland, but also rather nice weather the other half of the years. An of course, just a skip away from Seattle. Plus being here is obviously beneficial if you want a job in games, as so many game studios, including Nintendo and Microsoft, are stationed around here.

Guh... I want to live in Bellevue, but it's expensive as hell.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

In my experience, holding onto a card is rarely a good idea. Cards give me a headache already so I just set them for sale and forget

Noogy

I feel for some of the smaller games which were still on 'Previous Day' sale during the DDoS. Stuff like Valdis Story could use the promotion. That game is rad, BTW. Amazing OST.

Welcome back, hammer! Was it liberating in any sort of way to be internet-free for that long? Sometimes I wish I could disconnect for a bit... but then, you know, GAF.

A few of those games you had time to play are queued up on my backlog, which I'm forever trying to prioritise, so your thoughts and feedback are appreciated - thanks!
I would love to say yes, but truly, after using the internet constantly over the years, to not have it there is tough. I rely on it for too many things. That said, I did start working out (though I planned to anyway). It gave me something to do and I feel pretty good about myself, lol.

Thanks, I'm glad they're proving useful.
As soon as you come back, Steam is down from DDOS attacks. Can't catch a break!

Welcome back!
Haha, it wouldn't be a Steam sale if the servers weren't down, so at least I get to experience that.

Thank you!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
There are areas around Bellevue that are more reasonable though, Kirkland I recall from visiting friends and doing a couple of seminars, had some nice flats and homes of reasonable prices for the area.

If you don't mind driving on a motorway, there is Issaquah (I really hope I spelled that right). I have family there and while sections of it are quite expensive, there are parts very reasonable and "small town" like in feeling for far lower. About 20 to 30 minutes away from most anywhere you would work in the area, including Valve's offices.

It's really quite a nice place all around and very friendly people and I would have been quite comfortable there had I not ended up where I am now
Duckburg

I don't have those cards to give for it, but if no one else claims it I will take it please! I've been waiting for a sale on that one for a while (missed the steam sale earlier)!

As soon as Steam is working again, it's yours. Just send me a trade invite and tell me it's for the coupon and I'll happily give it to you. My profile

Grief.exe

I feel for some of the smaller games which were still on 'Previous Day' sale during the DDoS. Stuff like Valdis Story could use the promotion. That game is rad, BTW. Amazing OST.

Word of mouth has already gotten around GAF about Valdis. Will probably be very successful next sale.

think gtaV'll be released for pc? been so quiet for so long.

I see no reason why it wouldn't, GTA IV took around 8 months to come out on the PC. Red Dead was an unfortunate exception to the rule. I won't play anything else for a long time once it comes out so give me more time Rockstar!

Momentary

Banned
My little brother bought a copy of Risk of Rain, Bastion, and Valdis Story and that's all I ever see him playing now. He was like a strictly AAA games only kind of dude.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
My little brother bought a copy of Risk of Rain, Bastion, and Valdis Story and that's all I ever see him playing now. He was like a strictly AAA games only kind of dude.

He just got thrown back into the Snes days :p There is a reason people have lasting fond memories of that time period

Considering buying Sonic All-Stars as well but the confusion over game codes vs downloads makes me pause.

If the page says "DRM: Steam", then it's a Steam key. If it says DRM: Mixed, you might get a Steam key for a game that needs Origin, or if it's a two pack one key might be Steam and one a game download (like with Manhunt pack)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom