• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

An-Det

First time hearing about Valdis Story, it looks pretty neat and right up my alley. But man I thought I was about done with the sale (aside from Antichamber getting cheaper).

Fewr

I will also mention Hammerwatch is a lot of fun. Its hard, but you can add different elements to either make it easier or hard for yourself outside of combat difficulty (add buffs like regenerating health, infinite lives, though you won't get achievements if you have these turned on), and hindrances (no extra lives laying around the levels, one heart only, slowly degenerating health, etc). And you can combine these in any cocktail of options you want. Varied enemies and new locations after each boss, fun secrets to discover, and quite an enjoyable 4-player multiplayer online roguelike.

Also, bought Valdis. Probably (like, definitely) last thing I'll be able to buy this sale.
Thanks for the impressions. After that I'm super close to pulling the trigger.

Freezard

Notice: We are currently out of keys for this title. We've requested more from the publisher and will have those soon. Should you purchase this title, your key will be delivered as soon as we receive it.

First time I've seen this.

Gazoinks

Valdis Story is a combat platformer with a combo system and a deep magic system. Basically, you hold down the "magic" button and then press a direction or press it in the air and cast the spell that is aligned to that direction. Makes for really fast-paced magic casting and streamlined combat.

There is equipment and upgrades that can drastically change how you play it as if someone goes a magic route or a demon route and someone else goes an agility route and a neutral route, you will have VASTLY different playstyles. And that's for one main character. There are three more, one for the taking and the other two unlocks with more on the way in updates.

You have an alignment which is based on what spells, equipment and abilities you get. Demon, Angel and Neutral. This changes your affinity to each so if you lean Demon heavy it gives you bonuses for Demon and yada yada. It also affects other stuff so...yeah. The equipment and spells are really unique, not just "equip the new one cause it's automatically better" as they all seem to do interesting things, like an Angel piece that boosts the next spell you cast when you get a critical hit or a Demon piece that takes away your ability to critical but gives you two more hits to your combo etc. etc.

Bosses are fantastic skill and reflex affairs, which grades you and gives you bonuses on how well you do. There are multiple ways to tackle them and you'll find yourself repeatedly trying to get a better time with less damage taken on each of them (except the Raven, fuck that piece of shit).

The music is simply GORGEOUS and the plot is pretty decent too. Basically, you're from a group of humans who kill Angels and Demons because their war is killing all the humans and on the way somewhere in the ocean your ship is sunk in a battle and you fall into a mythical city under the waves where Angels and Demons are warring for control and you have to find out why it's so important while getting your crew back together.

The plot intro makes it seem kinda shit but it really picks up in the actual game, as well as helped by the fact that the characters are actually pretty great. Wyatt in particular. I thought he'd be your normal dour lead or angsty but he's actually pretty fucking funny. My favorite line has to be coming into a room and seeing an enormous dragon boss and he simply says "Well, looks like my string of good luck is still intact" before fighting it.

I cannot recommend this game enough. Much like Risk of Rain, I kickstarted this baby and do not regret a single second of it. Super goddam fun.

They also have updates with more stuff coming out in the future like characters and items and boss rush and shit.

BUY IT

Stop trying to sell me things! I have no money left! You people are a bad influence. :p

For some reason when I went to the Steam store this morning it showed the normal storefront, but then went back to the sale when I refreshed.

Is Bioshock 2 any good? I didn't care much for infinite but thought the first was decent. I've got $2 left in my wallet to spend and can't decide what to get

A common theme I see when people comment on Bioshock 2 is that the gameplay is the best out of the series while the story is the worst. Hope that helps.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
OMG RAYMAN LEGENDS FOR $20!!!!!
wIG0j91.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Buying SSFIV:AE + the All in One Costume pack separately is actually 76 cents cheaper than buying the complete bundle. Weird.

Dr Dogg

Gonna stream Valdis Story for those that are curious about it. I am as well. Here goes...

http://www.twitch.tv/legacyzero

aaaaaaannd sold! (Well after HiB10 has updated)

Haha, nah, I did the math. Redeeming the Humble Bundle codes + buying the remaining DLC from Steam RU worked out more expensive than just buying Mithril Edition itself. At 66% off it'll be $13~$14.

I don't know why I doubt you hahaha. Working the angles of Steam Transactions to a tee.

Glix

Whats the deal with Street Fighter? Do you get a discount on Ultimate when it comes out?

Its not going to be DLC because of the switch to Steamworks, right?

gabbo

yea currently looking at rayman as well, I'm open to most genres I just want to spend the remaining amount lol

I'd go with Rayman, since I see it having more replayability (and coop), but I enjoyed Bio2 and Minerva's Den as well, so... I'm not really helping... I'll stop now.

Volcynika

Looks like most people tried for all 3 of my BI Season passes lol

Leg-End claimed your BioShock Infinite Season Pass #1 key. There were 42 entrants.
GK86 claimed your BioShock Infinite Season Pass #3 key. There were 48 entrants.
traveler claimed your BioShock Infinite Season Pass #2 key. There were 43 entrants.

Sallokin

Just grabbed VVVVVV which has been a blind spot for me for a while now. Really excited to check it out.

Not directly steam sale related, but would someone mind inviting me to the GAF Steam group? Steam ID is bulletproof_cornflakes

Edit: Just got an invite. Thanks so much.

Seen a lot of mentions of SSIV, but what about Mortal Kombat? Is it accessible? Is it any fun? Or are people not mentioning it for good reason?

Hammerwatch a decently long game and such? Trying to see if it's worth picking up the 4-pack for friends, but just not too sure how much playability is in it.

The_Monk

How did you find the Grid? Saw you playing it last night and thought i'd inquire

Grid 2 looks really pretty. Visuals are nice and the sound engine is actually good. You will race for fans, so you can increase popularity and make this a more well-known sport. Different races will be spread across the US, Europe, Asia and so on. The selection of cars is quite good, however there's some very tempting DLC's in there, some with cars and tracks. Did not play much of Online yet but I managed to get in a lobby couple of times but as always, I'm terrible playing online.

Right I do have a problem with the game and that only happens when I Shift + Tab to answer someone, my keyboard gets stuck in a letter forcing me to unplug and plug back in. The HUD seems a bit blurry but nothing serious, there's a decent selection in the difficulty of the game too which is fine. It's also very addicting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom