• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowplay1979

Gold Member
Finally MK....but went to amazon and it was only 7.50 so grabbed it from there. Now if KoF 13 goes on sale again i will have nabbed 3 fighting games this sale ( also got skull girls).

Gonna grab valdis story too, just waiting to see if HiB pops up in the next 30 mins.

Ryne

Nice, picked up Valdis like everyone else, and that vvvvvvvv game because 50 cents. I am now complete.

The most money I had available for a steam sale so I went all out this time.

Not sure if stupid question, but if I buy something from The Humble Store. Will it be a Steam game? I've never bought anything from the store before, and I'm interested in Guacamelee.

mrgone

Oh, the irony - bought XCOM DLC on Amazon and it was daily deal on Steam just a day later :(

It's $10 on Amazon right now so you might be able to get them to refund you the difference, though I'm not sure if their price guarantee applies to digital stuff.

derExperte

Wait is Valdis Story a price error? Says 66% on the news page but showing up as 75% for me

Shite. Wait for HBX because of the remote chance it'll be included (wouldn't be the first time a game gets a big discount on Steam shortly before being bundled) and risk it becoming more expensive?

elhav

Not sure if stupid question, but if I buy something from The Humble Store. Will it be a Steam game? I've never bought anything from the store before, and I'm interested in Guacamelee.
Yes.

There are a few games that are only DRM free versions with no steam keys but most of the known or good games have steam keys.

Miker

I'm in the weird position of owning Civ V and Gods and Kings, but nothing else, so the Gold Edition is too expensive/pointless for just the DLCs.

cicero

Not for me. Steam > Amazon > Humble Store >>>>>>>> GMG

Didn't buy anything on GOG since their insomnia sale.

Russian Sellers > Amazon > Steam > GOG > GMG > GamersGate > Humble Store

Of course I haven't actually spent a dime on Steam so far. $80+ from nothing but card money. I still wonder at people who didn't buy Race the Sun from GOG for $2.49 when it also provided a Steam key as well.

hohoXD123

Shite. Wait for HBX because of the remote chance it'll be included (wouldn't be the first time a game gets a big discount on Steam shortly before being bundled) and risk it becoming more expensive?

I don't know, there have been a few errors on the news page recently so it could be the legit price. Has there been any indication as to when HBX will go live?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
anyone ever heard of this Consortium coming out next week? just noticed it when the normal store front was up for a few minutes, looks pretty cool / interesting

Happy new years, folks!

Yesterday, I bought Rogue Legacy and Don't Starve. I love em both but my ass is getting kicked like crazy since I just aint good. Any tips for a newb with these two games?

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
Yay, got Deadpool for $8! Like a lot of people on here, I only wanted it cause Steam didn't want to sell it to me. Maybe i'll play it. Maybe.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Just grabbed VVVVVV which has been a blind spot for me for a while now. Really excited to check it out.

Not directly steam sale related, but would someone mind inviting me to the GAF Steam group? Steam ID is bulletproof_cornflakes

For the future, this is your profile. http://steamcommunity.com/id/sallokin Even if we change the name we go by, the profile name remains what we started out with.

anyone ever heard of this Consortium coming out next week? just noticed it when the normal store front was up for a few minutes, looks pretty cool / interesting

I haven't heard of it, but I'm quite interested in it now. The kickstarter does outline some potentially fun mechanics. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/idgi/consortium-0
Though the idea of "Game One" I don't know how much they can pull off well with how ambitious they are.

T.O.P

Banned
Just watched some Civ V vids and i have no idea wtf did i just watch

How's the learning curve for the game? good tutorial for a newbie etc? :/

Bought Valdis. Looks great. Never heard of it before, reminds me of MapleStory a bit, but way better looking.

I (think) I'm done with this sale :p

Dr Dogg

wait, does this mean Valdis is on HiB10? if so I just wasted 3.75 euros >_> Oh well, guess some lucky gaffer will get it if its part of the bundle

Hahaha no this means that I have rotten luck of buying a game then it appearing in a bundle very shortly after. Going to give it until 8pm GMT which is when it think we might know before pulling the trigger.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Pretty mediocre game overhyped by GAF.

It's the only gaf recommendation that burned me.

Absolutely disagree.

I feel like I had a different experience than most though because it was my first game that I played with my new 3D monitor and the 3D implementation in that game is absolutely stellar.

The game felt so alive and full of charm and it was challenging and engaging and it felt like they were taking you through really fun and interesting stages the whole way through.

I really, really loved Origins, and I REALLY really love Legends.

Firebrand

Just watched some Civ V vids and i have no idea wtf did i just watch

How's the learning curve for the game? good tutorial for a newbie etc? :/
Shouldn't be too hard. Don't know about tutorials, but if nothing else you can set the hint popups to "Beginner" to get most stuff explained as you play.

Try the demo. I suggest you go with the vanilla demo as the BNW one seems to throw a lot of stuff at you at once to demonstrate some of the new features.

Mairu

Picked up Valdis Story even though I know very little about it. Also grabbed Deadpool at Gamefly since it was removed from the Steam Store :O

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Let me tell you all about a game named Damned, which you should all vote for, btw...

header_292x136.jpg

Let me first get this out of the way... It's an early access game, and it shows. Its rough around the edges right now, sometimes the game will crash, occasionally I've experienced people joining a game problems, and a few glitches here and there. The game updates about 2-3 times per month, and in the last three months they've added a lot of fixes, a new monster, and three new stages, with a lot more coming in some New Years updates coming in the near future. Just know the game is bumpy right now, but I also believe its fully worth it, especially at that price.

Damned is a multiplayer horror game where four people play humans, and another player plays a monster. Now, everything I'm about to say is for the current build of the game, as over time new mechanics and things to balance have been introduced, so keep that in mind with this post.

There are five maps and two monsters currently. The five maps take place in a motel, in a restaurant, in an asylum, in a storage facility, and an alternative version of the Motel map (different but similar layout, differences in how you progress through the motel, etc). The two monsters are currently this very fleshy-looking monster, and this ghost monster known as the Phantom. Both bring very different things to the table.

The fleshy-monster was the default monster on the game's release. The monster is invisible at start-up, and can't be seen by players, or see players. The monster has to 'charge' up the ability to manifest into the real world. He can't see the players, but he can hear them, and can try and reveal their location by setting 'traps'. Traps are things that make loud noises, and if they're set-off, you'll know that somebody is or was there. While invisible you also move a lot faster and you can't see doors (so you cant tell which doors they've opened, which they've closed, or if they're being opened). When fully charged and you desire too, you can then manifest into the real world. You move slower, but faster than the players walk (slower than they run), You can only stay out for a limited time, and the longer you stay out the longer it'll take to charge the ability to manifest again. The other monster, the Phantom, is a ghost who is always in the physical world, but is mostly blind. The monster doesn't set traps, as rather random traps around the stage have automatically already been set. And when a trap goes off, or the player makes a loud enough noise close to the Phantom (IE, running, turning flashlight on and off, opening doors quickly), the Phantom can see the player for a limited time. The only other way for the Phantom to see the player is to be on-top of them, basically. The phantom for the players is bit hard to see as its translucent, but you do not want to shine your flashlight on it as it will attract the attention of the monster an make you visible to it for a bit. The closer you are to the phantom when you attract its attention, the longer it'll be able to see you.

As the human, your main goal is to find an escape. Right now that is mainly by finding items, like keys, combination codes, crowbars, etc., to open new areas and find a way out. There's randomized elements to everything (and more randomization coming), and what you can do basically is walk, crouch, run (but you have limited stamina that must recharge), turn your flashlight on and off, and interact with things. You also have a meter that shows how visible you are, and how much noise your making (like a stealth game). You must work with the other players to try and find escape from the facility, either all of you starting in the same room, or in separate parts of the facility you're trapped in. You need to hunt down items, try to avoid traps, and not get killed by the monster. You are defenseless, so running and hiding is your only option. The fleshy-monster will need to go back to charging mode eventually, and the Phantom loses sight of players rather quickly if they get far enough and stop making noise. If another player dies, you'll need to locate their corpse to collect the items they were holding.

I should also mention the humans can use the chat to talk with each other in text, the monsters can't see the chat.

It's been a lot of fun with friends, played with quite a few with various okay-levels of horror (some scream, some laugh when caught, some get angry, etc.) It takes a bit to learn, but both sides are fun. I have a reputation of being a terrible monster to play with as I troll people hard, standing behind them for a while until they turn around and scream so I can kill them instantly, staring at them from behind a mirror and see if they notice, or wait around corners and the like. Humans are fun to try and outwit the monster as well.

I recommend it, and say its what you all should vote for. Playing with you GAF'ers would be fun~

Finishing off the sale with 3 Early Access games: Overgrowth (on sale until tomorrow!), Rust, and DayZ.

Question: What does it mean when it says cards expire on the 3rd? Do they get removed from the inventory after that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom