• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I was playing yesterday at night and I was hearing some sirens every now and then and was thinking, man, it's a busy night, lot's of ambulance cars driving by my street. Some people must have drank way too much. After all it was in-game when you are in your garage (I was using headphones). Lol :/

Hahahaha :)

I must admit I find it a little disturbing sometimes just how many people always seem to be loitering outside the garage, or even strolling around inside looking at the cars. Just what kind of neighbourhood is it in? I'm sure they must be up to no good!

StAidan

What's the consensus on Hammerwatch? Watching the trailer is getting me all hot and bothered, any impressions?

I can't beat the impressions already posted above, but I'll chime in a recommendation. It's inspired by Gauntlet-style games (even has some very Gauntlet-looking bonus levels), but it improves upon the basic concept immensely. I played through it once on Normal and once on Hard -- mostly solo -- and I got a little tired of it toward the end of the second trip through, but it might be my fault since I started the games back to back.

Valid Story is Ultra Legit guys. Indie Game of the Year, shared with Volgarr.

Hammerwatch is pretty good too, a little boring on solo, but I still enjoyed it.

Speaking of that, I'm interested in doing a Hard Mode run while going for the "Worse than Ghost and Goblins" achievement.

If anybody is interested (maybe next weekish?) add me (and quote this message since my NeoGAF friend list is in the triple digits now, I think).

http://steamcommunity.com/id/PixyJunket/

how do you pronounce VVVVVV? Is it just Vee Vee Vee Vee Vee Vee?
I call it "Vee to the Six," but that hasn't really caught on.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
how do you pronounce VVVVVV? Is it just Vee Vee Vee Vee Vee Vee?

W W W in a surprise twist.

Any pronunciation is actually fine. Creator just call it V, but accepts V6, Six Vs, Vs,, V V V V V V, vuhs, and many more

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm surprised people found my review of SFxT helpful.
HmUV5Vr.png

Well, they get the joke. ;)

Is Just Cause 2 kind of like a TPS Farcry 3? I'm loving Farcry 3 and I don't normally get into open world shooters, but if it's similar enough I'll take the plunge.

Danielsan

All this talk of Valdis Story... I don't know guys.
I already have Rogue Legacy and just recently beat Guacamelee on the Vita. Do I really need more Metroidvania?

rtcn63

Is Just Cause 2 kind of like a TPS Farcry 3? I'm loving Farcry 3 and I don't normally get into open world shooters, but if it's similar enough I'll take the plunge.

I tried JC2 for a bit, and it wasn't anywhere as fun as FC3. Taking over bases in FC3 requires killing everyone and not setting off alarms, JC2 needs you to ferry around an NPC and just hold enemies off. I think. Wasn't too fun.

I tried JC2 for a bit, and it wasn't anywhere as fun as FC3. Taking over bases in FC3 requires killing everyone and not setting off alarms, JC2 needs you to ferry around an NPC and just hold enemies off. I think. Wasn't too fun.

Alright thanks, for $3 I might give it a whirl, but my expectations will be in check.

Exr

I personally enjoy it, though it is not without its flaws. Played it for a few hours yesterday. It's a dungeon crawler through and through, though I guess that definition is rather vague.

You set out in a dungeon (first act is set in a Prison), and you have to progress up and down floors to unlock secret areas, kill monsters, get gold, acquire treasure, buy upgrades, and ultimately find the three runes that unlock the boss door. I suspect this pattern repeats throughout the game, as I am on the 2nd Act and it is much the same, just higher difficulty and variety of monsters.

There are three starting classes: Paladin, Warlock, and Archer. I only played as the Archer so I can't attest to the other two classes, but for my time it was pretty fun. Killing everything at range was great, though I couldn't run and shoot, which was disappointing.

Firstly, it's not a roguelike. I for some reason was under the impression it was, so for any that may think it is, it's not, at least not in the traditional sense. You earn 1-ups and whatnot as you progress, so you can die, and do so pretty often, either to traps or getting mobbed by dozens of enemies... Though I didn't start dying that frequently until the boss on Act 1 and the monsters in Act 2. Fyi, I was playing on Medium. I know there's a Hard mode, but I don't recall what, if anything, is beyond that.

You can upgrade several factors about your character including: weapon damage, weapon penetration, health, mana, move speed, combo timers, etc, using gold you earn from killing enemies. You spend this gold at various NPC's scattered throughout the Act you're on. There isn't experience gain, which kinda felt strange to me. There are also keys to earn in any given Act which unlock doors for you to either progress or earn more loot. Bronze, Silver, and Gold keys. Lots of hidden areas and nooks and crannies to be found as well. You can break pots and objects for gold, like various games of old.

The combat gets a little monotonous after the first half hour or so, though I did only play solo. I think it would be advantageous to play with friends if it all possible, as it doesn't really have that replayability I would hope for. Or at least, not when there's so many other excellent games to play.

Combat is quick however, enemies are plentiful, treasure is all over the place, and I'd say my purchase was justified. But definitely try it out co-op. It's enjoyable by yourself, but it's definitely a bit of a slog through the floors.

Sorry for the long post, hope this helps some people still on the fence about it!

It not being a rougelike is a bit of a letdown, I had the same initial thought. The combo of this post and your rad avatar have convinced me to pick it up, thanks.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I guess it not being Rouge-like depends how you look at it. In multiplayer we kept dying and having to start over, but we discovered you can turn saving on or off, but saving keeps your health and lives saved as well when you die and reload, so sometimes the rogue-like approach is best.

Yes, because Rogue Legacy isn't that good as a Metroidvania (ugh, I hate that term so much).

when people use the term metroidvania so lightly you now they never play metroid or castlevania, furthermore as you say Rogue Legacy it is not even remotely a metroidvania game, or roguelike.

glaurung

I got 50% off coupons for Endless Space and its awesome expansion, Disharmony. PM me if you want them.

I don't know if they stack with the current sale discount.

I have some more spare Snow Globes I'm willing to trade for other cards.

I have #2, #3 and #8.

I will take cards from Eversion or Bleed, any of the Puppygames games (just in a bundle!) or, um, maybe Secret of the Magic Crystals, haha.

I could always use more GAF / STEAM friends. Feel free to throw me a friend request if your friend list is looking a little sparse, STEAM ID is the same as my username on GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom