• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. It's really fun, especially with all the crazy shit you can do.

1352320351639.gif
lcwMJkD.gif

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Is Just Cause 2 kind of like a TPS Farcry 3? I'm loving Farcry 3 and I don't normally get into open world shooters, but if it's similar enough I'll take the plunge.

While both set in open world islands and you fight heavily armed soldiers, they are drastically different in feel and type of game play.

Far Cry goes for the "realistic" human movement, hunting down, travelling through the jungle in a serious and drama filled story, with weapons that have real impact and weight to their behaviour. Far Cry 3 is an extension of that with the idea of becoming the master of the hunt by getting every weapon and clearing the world of those who would stand in your way.
The open islands it takes place in are mostly uninhabited with small towns and sections, not much in the way of man made to explore. It's meant to make you feel like you could lose yourself to one's wild nature.

There is satisfaction in being a one man killing force, the ultimate warrior, the chosen hunter through abilities and tactics.

Just Cause 2 on the other is set on a rich island nation with full sized city, tall buildings, massive roads, and more. The wild jungle is there, but it's only humans and a few wild creatures you can't interact with. You are a soldier of war sent to make things explode in an almost cartoonish manner (i.e. G.I. Joe type cartoon, not Looney Toons). You aren't meant to really ever stop being the one man army, and though you have various weapons and tools, they all really feel the same and just "whatever you feel works best" rather than having their own strengths. Hence the 100 different weapons you can use, plus more with DLC.
As things explode and you go through wave and waves of enemy grunts that feel like a Rambo movie, you travel around in a variety of vehicles such as cars and boats and various air crafts that it is recommend you try various crazy stunts in, again for fun. When not in a vehicle you are traveling around with a grappling hook (think Bionic Commando or Hookshot from Zelda) combined with a parachute so you can constantly stay in the air and glide around in one of my favourite modes of transportation.

A combination of vehicles and that hook shot, either online in main mode or online with multiplayer, is one of the main draws. Doing stunts, going crazy with what you can do.
http://youtu.be/bhBk_vlctbY as some examples, though many more exist. It's a very big set of islands with a huge variety of places to experiment with.

There is plenty to explore, but only for the sake of exploring on your own. Neat little references to various shows and movies, hidden gags, and beautiful vistas to look at. The only reward is your own sense of satisfaction from finding and looking around to appreciate this in-game world's nature. Just the standard "find a 1000 objects) if you feel like it, but have no real importance to them outside of making the game easier. You never really master the world, you just travel it.

There is satisfaction in having a sandbox to entertain yourself with for all the various toys, to be that type of action star that causes more property damage than the villains ever did, to travel around such a variety of locations and types (snow capped mountains to a lovely beach to surprises I won't spoil). Alas the combat is the weakest part of the game, you mostly go through it just to get to the rest or re-enact a 80s like movie scene or because you have a lot which will make explosions.

I do quite recommend Just Cause 2, just not for the reasons one would go into Far Cry for.

deroli

I bet it was already mentioned a couple of times, but: The Walking Dead: 400 Days is 75% off atm. Bought it for 1,24€. My first paid DLC ever... after all these years, I eventually caved in. It better be good! (and recognize my TWD Season 1 save, if it's supposed to do)

Yes.

It is fantastic.

Get it.

YNAB is only good if YOU decide and make the commitment to start budgeting for yourself. It's a wonderful product, and if you have never budgeted your money before it's a great start! If you need any help the website has tons of tutorials and even offer live classes to help.

Thanks. Bought.

Too bad it's only in English but the interface looks good and I can see this becoming VERY useful for me.

nbraun80

Just a little PSA because I put my money down to help kickstart this game and forgot about it, but it looks like it has a release date of May 2014 now. If it's not on your radar for 2014, it should be. ha :)
Chasm

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
While both set in open world islands and you fight heavily armed soldiers, they are drastically different in feel and type of game play.

Far Cry goes for the "realistic" human movement, hunting down, travelling through the jungle in a serious and drama filled story, with weapons that have real impact and weight to their behaviour. Far Cry 3 is an extension of that with the idea of becoming the master of the hunt by getting every weapon and clearing the world of those who would stand in your way.
The open islands it takes place in are mostly uninhabited with small towns and sections, not much in the way of man made to explore. It's meant to make you feel like you could lose yourself to one's wild nature.

Just Cause 2 on the other is set on a rich island nation with full sized city, tall buildings, massive roads, and more. The wild jungle is there, but it's only humans and a few wild creatures you can't interact with. You are a soldier of war sent to make things explode in an almost cartoonish manner (i.e. G.I. Joe type cartoon, not Looney Toons). You aren't meant to really ever stop being the one man army, and though you have various weapons and tools, they all really feel the same and just "whatever you feel works best" rather than having their own strengths. Hence the 100 different weapons you can use, plus more with DLC.
As things explode and you go through wave and waves of enemy grunts that feel like a Rambo movie, you travel around in a variety of vehicles such as cars and boats and various air crafts that it is recommend you try various crazy stunts in, again for fun. When not in a vehicle you are traveling around with a grappling hook (think Bionic Commando or Hookshot from Zelda) combined with a parachute so you can constantly stay in the air and glide around in one of my favourite modes of transportation.

A combination of vehicles and that hook shot, either online in main mode or online with multiplayer, is one of the main draws. Doing stunts, going crazy with what you can do.
http://youtu.be/bhBk_vlctbY as some examples, though many more exist. It's a very big set of islands with a huge variety of places to experiment with.

There is plenty to explore, but only for the sake of exploring on your own. Neat little references to various shows and movies, hidden gags, and beautiful vistas to look at. The only reward is your own sense of satisfaction from finding and looking around to appreciate this in-game world's nature. Just the standard "find a 1000 objects) if you feel like it, but have no real importance to them outside of making the game easier. You never really master the world, you just travel it.

I do quite recommend Just Cause 2, just not for the reasons one would go into Far Cry for.
Good analysis, Ken. I'm a fan of both games and while they may seem similar at a first glance there are those many differences in open world approach that set them apart from each other.

KarmaCow

Just a little PSA because I put my money down to help kickstart this game and forgot about it, but it looks like it has a release date of May 2014 now. If it's not on your radar for 2014, it should be. ha :)
Chasm

Ha I was just thinking of this game when someone said Rogue Legacy was a Metroidvania.

Roguelike Metroidvania is just nonsense and makes me think the developers have no idea what makes either genre good.

edit: I guess they never actually say Roguelike since its only procedurally generated levels which is something I guess. Still makes little sense.

StAidan

All right folks, here's that Pac-Man giveaway I was promising. The sale price was a sore spot for me, but at least someone here will get it for cheap.

ModBot said:
Instructions for StAidan:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX Plus -- MB-C1DDDBE9622C2BF6

t1388621569z1.png

Finally beat Rogue Legacy. What a great little game. I think I had more fun with that and the $5 I spent then some full priced retail games. It only took 168 children haha

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
What did he do?

Nothing that seemed to independently warrant a ban. It was just two posts consisting of his assessment on AC and news outlet GOTY lists. But if his pre-ban avatar quote is any indication, a mod (or mods) may have grown tired of his critiques.

Myshkin

Is tomorrow recap day? Thus making today the last dailies?
Should be.

I convinced myself I should have gotten Recettear. Now I'm wondering whether it will show up on recap day.
I asked my magic 8-ball if Recettear would be part of recap day and got:

S2SjHxu.png

-MD-

I'm done with this sale.

DayZ
Valdis Story
Brothers
Ducktales
Spelunky
Ys: Oath of Felghana
Guacamelee
Binary Domain
Sang-Froid
Hammerwatch

After cards the total came to $23 for all of it. Thanks, Gabe.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Getting excited for this new Enhanced Steam feature:

4RyXRdf.png

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
In case you are interested in buying Interstellar Marines, HERE is a video you should watch.

You probably won't want to buy it after watching my multiplayer match.

You are welcome GAF, I suffered through it and sacrificed myself so that you would not have to. May your wallets be ever heavier.

redfirm

Banned
I'm done with this sale.

DayZ
Valdis Story
Brothers
Ducktales
Spelunky
Ys: Oath of Felghana
Guacamelee
Binary Domain
Sang-Froid
Hammerwatch

After cards the total came to $23 for all of it. Thanks, Gabe.

wow that aint bad, lemme list mine too :D

aaaaaaaaa for the awesome
and yet it moves
audiosurf
Batman arkham asylom GOTY edition
Batman arkham City GOTY edition
bioshock 1,2,3
blood of the werewolf
brothers a tale of two sons
bullet storm
cities in motion 2
dark souls
dayz
dead space
deadlight
depionia
deus ex human revolution + missing link
dock clock
dont starve
the elder scrolls
ftl
gemini rue
gnomoria
guacamelee
hacker evolution
half life 2
insanely twisted shadow planet
jack lumber
left 4 dead 2
legend of dungeon
little infero
magicka
mark of ninja
mcpixel
oil rush
papers,please
plain sight
sanctum 1 and 2
serieus sam 3
slender the arrival
snuggle truck
spiral knights
supebrothers
trine 1 and 2
the wicher
the witcher 2 assasins of kings enchanged edition

redfirm

Banned
In case you are interested in buying Interstellar Marines, HERE is a video you should watch.

You probably won't want to buy it after watching my multiplayer match.

You are welcome GAF, I suffered through it and sacrificed myself so that you would not have to. May your wallets be ever heavier.

this game has been in development for years now and they ahve constantly been breaking their promises, no way in hell im am buying this.

bought valdis story when it came, been sitting in my backlog ever since
it's now 3,5€ instead of 14€

kobe_angry.gif

worse thing is that, i'm playing my games, i've finished like 5 games since it came out including deadly premonition and dark souls
i'm just playing my games in a fucking stupid order (well i guess i play the ones that seem gine for me at the moment so it's not that bad)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So for example, if you enter $42.54 into the box and then "Add to Cart" you get this:

eNlrjJr.png

I tested this yesterday by adding $13.87 to my wallet. Worked like a champ!

WEajit5.png

Freezard

My friend was banned for buying games from his PC located in Russia. So I guess that's actually happening if you're trying to circumvent the regional pricing/locks.

Was thinking about buying YNAB early this week. Its the last thing I would have expected to see in a Steam sale. Gotta be a joke, right, given all the money I tend to blow on Steam sales. Hilarious, but also awesome.

jshackles

Really? That's insane that you can do this but Valve don't give you the option. So any value between $5 and $25 is accepted?

It will let you purchase up to the maximum amount your wallet can hold (which is $500.00 in the US). So if you have $10 in your wallet already, the maximum you can purchase is $490.00. If your wallet is empty you can purchase $500.00 at once if you'd like.

With "vanilla" Steam, if you wanted to add $500.00 to your wallet, you'd have to do 5 separate purchases of $100 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom