• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
:) good,very good

Good that I cant buy them? That's rude
LLShC.gif

Dr Dogg

Well first game of 2014 down, Castle of Illusion. Thoroughly enjoyed it and a really good remake/imagining of the original. The 3d segments really work well plus McGonagle's narration really makes this feel like a proper Disney experience (even if they are the devil in terms of Steam).

Really tempted to go grab DuckTales from Amazon now. How's the state of the port? Has it been cheaper than the $5.99 on Amazon at the moment?
Never mind. Curiosity got the better of me and I bought it anyhow. That and the GB Quick Look.

cicero

For us weirdos who like watching the badgeconomy, looks like palmdesert's focusing a little more on the normal badge and hit level 500. Wonder if he's out to top emiunsal?!

It's been interesting watching the trade posts shift. The concentration of people trying to swap their globes for cards from other games has steadily increased.

Going to have one more globe to get rid of after this next flash sale switches over, and then I'm out before they become totally impossible to trade 1:1. Next sale I think I'm only going to do one level of the badge and then trade any remaining cards so I don't have to worry about it so close to the end.
I made a decision before the sale started that I was more interested in having more games than I was crafting badges, this served me well. I probably made at least $25+ from snow globes alone.

StAidan

what's the neogaf verdict on hammerwatch? looks like alot of fun with a group of friends.

There were some impressions already posted, I personally bought it during the Thanksgiving sale and ended up loving it. It's more fun in multiplayer, but I've also soloed it twice.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I almost bought Ys I&II, but the "bumping" combat I remembered from the original game turned me off immensely, and it's apparently still in the remake?

KarmaCow

Been playing a bit of Valdis Story, just beat the poison boss. I've been skipping all the dialogue so it's sometimes hard to figure out what I'm supposed to do next in towns but otherwise it's pretty smooth sailing. The levels themselves aren't labrynth-y but it seems they're like gated half by abilities/spells and half straight up keys.

Whoever said the game had DMC like combat was grossly exaggerating. As far as I can tell you can alternate between weak and strong attacks, but you're just slotting attacks from the respective pure weak and strong combos. I haven't seen any way to do more complex attacks beyond a launcher and helm breaker though I'm guess that's where the spell system will come into play since you can cancel any melee attack into a spell. So far the basic, simple weak combo -> launcher -> helm breaker, repeat seems to be the most effective since it can looped infinitely. Despite the simple combat, the bosses have been interesting enough since they also have some platforming challenges to them.

The movement is also weird. It's fine for the most part (I still don't like the wall jump though) and I've gotten used to most of the quirks but fighting that shielded enemy was particularly annoying. You need to get into blockstun, do a launcher to get behind it and then quickly turn around to actually damage it. I had issues not being able to turn around fast enough, am I missing someway to cancel the landing animation? Also is there is anyway to dash forward without pressing down first? The platforming challenges with mana key stones is neat but it would far less annoying is there was an easier way to dash besides doing a qcf motion every time.

If you're interested in platforming & simple combat as well as some Metroidvania leanings, it seems to more than worth the $3.75 so far. It does take a bit to get used to the movement though.

If you want actual DMC-like character action gameplay, checkout Rain Blood Chronicles: Mirage. It's not a metroidvania at all, it's purely stage based with some "endless" tower type challenges. It's rough in terms of UI but it plays great, especially when you start getting some of the skills. It also has local co-op but I haven't tried it. It's shame that wasn't featured on the front page, but it is 33% off (for $10) right now. Though it seems like the developers wont be updating the game to fix the quirks like achievements not unlocking anytime soon.

neoemonk

Not necessarily Steam related but definitely PC gaming, I've been looking at one of those 27" Korean 1440p monitors and I am so...very...tempted.

cicero

Is it just me, or has this sale been horrible?

You are doing Steam sales wrong if you aren't also taking advantage of all of the other retailers/sellers who offer Steam activating keys/copies. GreenManGaming, GamersGate, Amazon, Russian sellers/traders, etc. I bought far more from them than I did direct from Steam. Despite Steam sales trending downwards starting probably 3-4 big sales ago, these other alternatives have quickly picked up the slack.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Been playing a bit of Valdis Story, just beat the poison boss. I've been skipping all the dialogue so it's sometimes hard to figure out what I'm supposed to do next in towns but otherwise it's pretty smooth sailing. The levels themselves aren't labrynth-y but it seems like gated half by abilities/spells and half straight up keys.

Whoever said the game had DMC like combat was grossly exaggerating. As far as I can tell you can alternate between weak and strong attacks, but you're just slotting attacks from the respective pure weak and strong combos. I haven't seen any way to do more complex attacks beyond a launcher and helm breaker though I'm guess that's where the spell system will come into play since you can cancel any melee attack into a spell. So far the basic, simple weak combo -> launcher -> helm breaker, repeat seems to be the most effective since it can looped infinitely. Despite the simple combat, the bosses have been interesting enough since they also have some platforming challenges to them.

The movement is also weird. It's fine for the most part (I still don't like the wall jump though) and I've gotten used to most of the quirks but fighting that shielded enemy was particularly annoying. You need to get into blockstun, do a launcher to get behind it and then quickly turn around to actually damage it. I had issues not being able to turn around fast enough, am I missing someway to cancel the landing animation? Also is there is anyway to dash forward without pressing down first? The platforming challenges with mana key stones is neat but it would far less annoying is there was an easier way to dash besides doing a qcf motion every time.

If you're interested in platforming & simple combat as well as some Metroidvania leanings, it seems to more than worth the $3.75 so far. It does take a bit to get used to the movement though.

If you want actual DMC-like character action gameplay, checkout Rain Blood Chronicles: Mirage. It's not a metroidvania at all, it's purely stage based with some "endless" tower type challenges. It's rough in terms of UI but it plays great, especially when you start getting some of the skills. It also has local co-op but I haven't tried it. It's shame that wasn't featured on the front page, but it is 33% off (for $10) right now.
Thanks for the mini-review, made my Valdis purchase go from 80% chance to 90% ;) don't care if the combat isn't DmC-style, anyway. And thanks for the other recommendation. I dig the art style for Rain Blood. Any demo available?

Coreda

Not necessarily Steam related but definitely PC gaming, I've been looking at one of those 27" Korean 1440p monitors and I am so...very...tempted.

So long as you know the negatives about some models it should be fine. I did a little research on them and a few have brightness issues (if you care about that). One model may have overly bright minimum levels, another doesn't actually change the backlight brightness but merely adjusts it via software (apparently not obvious so may be a non-issue).

I'm also looking for one and have just recently found a model I like :p

You are doing Steam sales wrong if you aren't also taking advantage of all of the other retailers/sellers who offer Steam activating keys/copies. GreenManGaming, GamersGate, Amazon, Russian sellers/traders, etc. I bought far more from them than I did direct from Steam. Despite Steam sales trending downwards starting probably 3-4 big sales ago, these other alternatives have quickly picked up the slack.

What do you mean by this? I think the sales are great. I'm just finding fewer things to buy since I own almost everything I want now. They don't do publisher pack's any more, but I like the a la carte method better.

KarmaCow

Thanks for the mini-review, made my Valdis purchase go from 80% chance to 90% ;) don't care if the combat isn't DmC-style, anyway. And thanks for the other recommendation. I dig the art style for Rain Blood. Any demo available?

I have no idea sorry. I kinda blind bought it back when it launched. I'm pretty sure there are a few combo videos as well as playthroughs on youtube, but that's hardly a substitute for this kind of game.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
IMO the steam sales go down to people when they have a lot of games. But when you only have 100-200 you still find stuff to get easier.

mrgone

Launched Rogue Legacy, two hours later and I have another game I may end up adding to my GOTY list. Yeah, it's grindy, it reminds me of 10000000 on iOS in that regard, but unlike that game I really enjoy the actual game part in Rogue Legacy.

These Steam sales may not be as great and fresh as they were back in 2011, but they're still pretty damn great.

All the games I look at, even non-daily games, say there is 18:30 left... Globes say they last until 1/3 at 1pm EST.

Oh man, I'm glad you looked again! I'd checked a few when I'd made the post and they were at 42 something, so they updated everything when the site broke for a while. Best to pick up the last few things sooner than later

And I'm finding the same thing about 10,000,000. It's pretty much Chuzzle with Rogue Legacy-style progression, so it's going to get pretty old after another day or two. No new game+ there :)

oipic

Thoroughly enjoying Dust at the moment (it's wonderful!), so Valdis Story is tempting if it will even vaguely scratch a similar itch.

Knurek

I see. So every Ys game has combat like that? That's such a weird design decision...

That is untrue. Just the first two. Origins and Oath have standard Zelda attack buttons.

Also, do note that the bump system from I and II is actually a bit smarter than that - collide with an enemy head on and you get damaged, attack them from sides, back or non-point blank and they get damaged. Ys II adds a magic subsystem as well, turning the game into a quasi shooter.

garath

what's the neogaf verdict on hammerwatch? looks like alot of fun with a group of friends.

I thought it was pretty dull. Put a couple hours into it and moved on. Combat was repetitive and didn't really expand into anything exciting.

I was really hoping for a gauntlet style game.

Hanzou

Is the Magic 2014 game a great way to learn how to play the card game or only for people familiar with it?

I have only played 2013 but they are similar I believe. The Tutorial explains things pretty well on how the game works. I played the card game a lot when I was younger and this eased me back into it.

The whole series is built around it, so it's back.
What? Unless Ys 7 brought it back, Ys Chronicles are the last games to have it.
I see. So every Ys game has combat like that? That's such a weird design decision...
Oath in Felghana and Origin do not have it. They have an easier to grasp one button for attack, one button for magic, system. I'm not the biggest fan of the bump combat either, but don't let it dissuade you from playing the newer titles. And honestly the bump combat gets better when you level up some and have better weapons and armor; In the beginning it sucks a ton.

Edit: beaten. good.

Hanzou

Is Vanilla Civ 5 still worth playing or should I not bother and just buy the gold edition upgrade so I have Gods and Kings? Does Gods and Kings add that much to the game? I know Brave new World was a huge improvement but not sure if Gods and Kings was.

ngt

So with Marvel Activision games being pulled from everywhere, why is Spiderman still available on Steam? Any chance it's going to stay? Kinda expensive now.

derExperte

IMO the steam sales go down to people when they have a lot of games. But when you only have 100-200 you still find stuff to get easier.

Just look at how many people bought World of Goo, a game every veteran already owns.

And I think this sale had a great balance (summer sale didn't). I would've bought even more if I hadn't gotten a lot of the games for more earlier (of course without playing them in the meantime, could've saved more than a few cents).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom