• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakazato

Looking for a fighting game to play online. Should I pick up Mortal Kombat Komplete or Street Fighter AE?

My skill level is relatively low. I tried SF4 on 3ds and enjoyed it but also enjoyed the older MK games.

Add me FFXI_Isamu

Ill play with you i haven't sat down and really played SF since SF4 Vanilla.... but i did have 200 hours nothing compared to my ex's 450 hours or something lol

Nabs

Out of curiosity, which one did you listen to? Original, enhanced or remixed?

Chronicles (Remixed). I hope that was the right decision.

Looking for a fighting game to play online. Should I pick up Mortal Kombat Komplete or Street Fighter AE?

My skill level is relatively low. I tried SF4 on 3ds and enjoyed it but also enjoyed the older MK games.

If you're looking to play online you should grab AE.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I can't add VVVVVVV to my cart.

FauX

I hope this steam sale ends up soon... I have spend so much money that I don't have enough to buy a can of milk for my babies. My wife will be so pissed :D

cicero

Ok, think I'm done for now. Here are my totals (went a bit overboard but I have lots of overtime coming this month, so it'll still balance in my favor):

Steam - Purchases for myself
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed: Metal Sonic Pack - $1.49
Bit.Trip.Core - $0.99
Bit.Trip.Void - $0.99
BIT.TRIP FATE - $0.99
Magical Diary - $3.74
Megabyte Punch - $5.09
Mark of the Ninja: Special Edition DLC - $0.99
Desktop Dungeons - $7.49
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians - $1.49
Unholy Heights - $1.99
Castlestorm Complete Edition - $5.09
Skullgirls - $7.49
The King Of Fighters XIII - $10.19
Shadowrun Returns - $8.99
SteamWorld Dig - $7.49
Legend of Dungeon - $1.49
Papers, Please - $4.99
Divekick - $2.49
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - $19.99

Desktop Dungeons - $7.49??? I never remember seeing it that low. I definitely would have gone for it at that price.

StAidan

Don't think I'll be back on a computer before this ends, so here's a Pac-Man reminder:

ModBot said:
Instructions for StAidan:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX Plus -- MB-C1DDDBE9622C2BF6 - Taken by Rummy Bunnz. 90 entrants total.

t1388621569z1.png

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
For us weirdos who like watching the badgeconomy, looks like palmdesert's focusing a little more on the normal badge and hit level 500. Wonder if he's out to top emiunsal?!

Cards will be deleted on the 3rd.
It's been interesting watching the trade posts shift. The concentration of people trying to swap their globes for cards from other games has steadily increased.

Going to have one more globe to get rid of after this next flash sale switches over, and then I'm out before they become totally impossible to trade 1:1. Next sale I think I'm only going to do one level of the badge and then trade any remaining cards so I don't have to worry about it so close to the end.

Glad I got the Infinite season pass for $5 because Burial at Sea was pretty underwhelming, hope the second part is better

One thing bumming me out so far is that Elizabeth isn't quite as talkative as she is in Infinite where she had something to say about nearly everything. Still enjoying it so far, seeing Cohen was great and Rapture looks really nice. Only just got the freeze power so we'll see how I feel at the end.

steveovig

I'm in the mood to send some of my friends gifts but I can't seem to load any of them into my cart without getting an error message. It worked once but ever since then I can't buy anything. Is this common?

Gvaz

Banned
Max Payne 3:
header_292x136.jpg

Good:
Pretty
Story is pretty max payne
audio
guns sound/feel nice
voiceactor

bad:
story is bad
gameplay is frustrating (enemies show up in waves, every single encounter, you can't take much damage having to pop painkillers frequently mostly because enemies are extremely accurate and move around a LOT. Add to this mouse acceleration woes due to framerate (I was frequently 15-25fps because there is no way to turn SSAO off, and HDAO is more intensive and you have extremely frustrating combat)
CUTSCENES including unskipable ones centered around QTES which if you fail them you have to do the whole segment over if it hasn't saved yet.
very minimal amounts of ammo for any gun that is fun to use, cutscenes frequently force you to drop your third weapon (usually a rifle or grenade launcher or sniper rifle) or force you to put it away and pull out your pistol instead, even though the grenade launcher might be a better fit. Also game refuses to let you use the rocket launcher indoors, i tried, it will not let you.
What's the point of the golden guns? +10% damage and slightly more ammo and a gold color? Why isn't it either inf ammo or max damage? It's a single player unlock. Who cares about breaking the game when the combat itself is fucking awful.

I got it for $4 and felt like it was a waste of my time. I ended up just getting a trainer to give inf bullettime to actually enjoy what I was playing. There is multiplayer but from what little I played it seems really boring and plain.

Pass and get MP1/MP2 instead. It's not worth anything.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Today's sale is truly breaking my heart.

Super Street Fighter IV, Mortal Kombat, Rayman Legends and Just Cause 2.
Why did the fools from work didnt get me my damn paycheck yesterday like it should have been.
tumblr_m4l8v3AsDQ1qaboh9o4_250.gif

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is Steam broken again? I'm trying to buy You Need a Budget but it won't allow me to add it to the cart.

It's been messing up for me too. I'd say try again in 5 or so minutes.
Today's sale is truly breaking my heart.

Super Street Fighter IV, Mortal Kombat, Rayman Legends and Just Cause 2.
Why did the fools from work didnt get me my damn paycheck yesterday like it should have been.
tumblr_m4l8v3AsDQ1qaboh9o4_250.gif
If you are sure you'll get payed in a few days I can cover this for you if you got paypal. I missed out on the KoF sell so I know how much it sucks.

Soule

Yeah Steam is a bit borked atm, few games I'm pretty keen to add to the collection but Valve won't take my monies :(

One thing bumming me out so far is that Elizabeth isn't quite as talkative as she is in Infinite where she had something to say about nearly everything. Still enjoying it so far, seeing Cohen was great and Rapture looks really nice. Only just got the freeze power so we'll see how I feel at the end.

It's not bad, I mean seeing Rapture again is always nice, the gameplay is solid enough, just didn't really blow me away at all

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'll stop playing Half Life: Source and start a new game in the original instead. The sound bugs in the Source version are really annoying me. Music stops playing whenever the game loads a new area, which is all the time, and some weapon reload sounds are missing when the HD pack is on (game always crashes on me without it, so no way to play with it turned off either).

I'm not too far in, just
started being attacked by soldiers
, so no biggie. Cool atmosphere so far, but damn, I know it's an old game but most of the platforming is total ass.

bigace33

I hope this steam sale ends up soon... I have spend so much money that I don't have enough to buy a can of milk for my babies. My wife will be so pissed :D

lol I really hope you are joking. Sounds like you need to buy that Budget game on steam as well.

Dingotech

I'm trying out La-Mulana and I don't think I'm digging it...

The controls feel clunky after coming from recent games like Risk of Rain and Rogue Legacy. I hate the way the enemies respawn every time you change screens, also I've only moved about 6 screens in each direction and I can't figure out where to go already...

Somebody tell me where you're supposed to go, to the left was a huge blue guy that smashed me, and to the right was water that killed me.

Santini

Quick impressions: Deadpool

So as we know Deadpool was pulled from Steam and is only available to buy from storefronts like Gamefly. Unfortunately, it looks like the one bit of DLC is now gone from Amazon.

XiUS3j8.png

A question you might be asking yourself is: do I actually want to buy Deadpool?

Are you a fan of the character and his antics? What about X-Men and Marvel Comics fanservice in general? Do you like collecting "rare" games on Steam?

If the answer to those is "yes", then stop reading and buy the game NOW before you can no longer do so.

I picked up the game and its DLC last night and have spent a little over 2 hours playing it. It's definitely entertaining. The humor and voice acting has literally made me laugh out loud. Its what sold me on the game and drives me to play it.

If nothing in this Youtube video makes you chuckle, then you might want to avoid it. Spoilers for the first section, obviously.

Joeimwc.png

The moment to moment game play is--okay, actually. It's a third person action game with melee combat, shooting, and an upgrade system to make those better/give it more variety. However, it doesn't reach the heights of Ninja Gaiden Black, Bayonetta, or even God of War. It's serviceable, but if you go in expecting a AAA combat system with hardcore depth, you will definitely be disappointed. My expectations were low to begin with, but I've been having some fun with it. Again, the game's biggest strength is its leading man and his hijinks.

WxPeTG4.jpg

If anything, you can tell the developers at High Moon Studios loved the character and wanted to make something great, but the publisher got in the way and so they just had to finish it with what they had and ship it out. Transformers: War for/Fall of Cybertron this isn't.

Anyhow, here are some additional recommendations and caveats for if you do pick it up.

Use SweetFX. The screenshots I've posted here use a combination of the files found here and the SweetFX_settings.txt file from here. The game looks less washed out and is much better with it.

The game uses the Unreal Engine, but the config files are encrypted. FOV might be an issue for you and is supposedly fixed by a program called Flawless Widescreen. Unfortunately, this had the effect of killing the game's HUD whenever I aimed, and I had to delete my profile and save to fix it.

The intro logo movies seem to be unskippable (and there are four of them), so I followed the PC Gaming Wiki guide here to remove them.

Lastly, you might be one of the few that have issues trying to launch the game at all. This is something I've seen mentioned some times in the Steam forums, but hasn't affected me. You've been warned. Hope you enjoy the game, and if not, hope you enjoy whatever game you may be playing instead. I'll venture back into the depths of Dark Souls and FTL soon enough!

bAhl0ab.png

Max Payne 3:
header_292x136.jpg

gameplay is frustrating (enemies show up in waves, every single encounter, you can't take much damage having to pop painkillers frequently mostly because enemies are extremely accurate and move around a LOT. Add to this mouse acceleration woes due to framerate (I was frequently 15-25fps because there is no way to turn SSAO off, and HDAO is more intensive and you have extremely frustrating combat)
CUTSCENES including unskipable ones centered around QTES which if you fail them you have to do the whole segment over if it hasn't saved yet.
very minimal amounts of ammo for any gun that is fun to use, cutscenes frequently force you to drop your third weapon (usually a rifle or grenade launcher or sniper rifle) or force you to put it away and pull out your pistol instead, even though the grenade launcher might be a better fit. Also game refuses to let you use the rocket launcher indoors, i tried, it will not let you.
What's the point of the golden guns? +10% damage and slightly more ammo and a gold color? Why isn't it either inf ammo or max damage? It's a single player unlock. Who cares about breaking the game when the combat itself is fucking awful.

I got it for $4 and felt like it was a waste of my time. I ended up just getting a trainer to give inf bullettime to actually enjoy what I was playing. There is multiplayer but from what little I played it seems really boring and plain.

Pass and get MP1/MP2 instead. It's not worth anything.

Why do you blame the game for you having poor hardware? No game is fun at 15 FPS so I don't know how you can accurately call the combat poor. And you can unlock infinite ammo, golden guns are just a skin unlockable. Nothing special about them.

And the enemies moving a lot is hardly a flaw, it actually keep the shooting from becoming just a gallery. The amount of mobility given to you(cover, shootdodge, crouch, etc) all works towards you being able to get through the game without being shot. And ammo isn't an issue unless you go into every room just spraying willy nilly and I say that from the perspective of completing the game quite a few times. You always have more than enough, and if you do happen to run out you can just take an enenmy's gun

iosefe

what did we do to the poor steam store? so much for getting brave new world. at least it's part of a daily and not a flash

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It's been messing up for me too. I'd say try again in 5 or so minutes.

If you are sure you'll get payed in a few days I can cover this for you if you got paypal. I missed out on the KoF sell so I know how much it sucks.

It should be here today or tomorrow but I have no paypal account sadly. (I don't even know how to set up the account tbh) Thanks for the offer man.

BearPawB

Banned
I'm trying out La-Mulana and I don't think I'm digging it...

The controls feel clunky after coming from recent games like Risk of Rain and Rogue Legacy. I hate the way the enemies respawn every time you change screens, also I've only moved about 6 screens in each direction and I can't figure out where to go already...

Somebody tell me where you're supposed to go, to the left was a huge blue guy that smashed me, and to the right was water that killed me.

I agree. I was instantly lost/confused...

Turfster

Why do you blame the game for having poor hardware? No game is fun at 15 FPS so I don't know how you can accurately call the combat poor.

The combat is poor, though, and the rest of the game is really let down by the fucking "I wanna make movies like Tony Scott" pile of elephant doodoo. It's the corridorest of corridor shooters ever made, which actively punishes you for trying to do something in a way different from what the devs wanted.

Did someone say there's a gamefly coupon for deadpool?

The combat is poor, though, and the rest of the game is really let down by the fucking "I wanna make movies like Tony Scott" pile of elephant doodoo. It's the corridorest of corridor shooters ever made, which actively punishes you for trying to do something in a way different from what the devs wanted.
It's really not, and the game only punishes one for playing the game like a turtle because enemies will rush and kill you. It's common that third person shooters that actually have large amounts of mobility like Resident Evil 6, Vanquish, and Max Payne 3 get called shit because people don't take advantage of the systems at hand. And most of the setpiece areas in the game are arenas which are the opposite of corridors.

bigace33

Man if I miss out on Valdis and You Need a Budget, I'm going to be some kind of angry. Come on Steam, take my monefor crying out loud.

Eanan

Could we expect to see Deadpool steam keys in a future humble bundle etc. or is the gamefly deal the last resort to get it?

Gvaz

Banned
Why do you blame the game for having poor hardware? No game is fun at 15 FPS so I don't know how you can accurately call the combat poor. And you can unlock infinite ammo, golden guns are just a skin unlockable. Nothing special about them.

And the enemies moving a lot is hardly a flaw, it actually keep the shooting from becoming just a gallery. The amount of mobility given to you(cover, shootdodge, crouch, etc) all works towards you being able to get through the game without being shot.

Other games haven't given me this issue as bad as this game.

It's nice that they react somewhat intelligently to your shooting, but frankly in the end of the day I don't care. I just want to point it at their head and have them die, but I shoot, it misses by a fraction of an inch, then they wiggle all over the place and you're either having to spend forever in cover or you have to shootdodge all over the whole map just to be able to have enough time to headshot these spastic assholes without getting killed in 2 seconds. You simply can't play MP3 like you could MP1.

As for the golden guns, there's no real point to collecting them if that's all that they give you. especially since they're hidden so well in most places (that and clues. 99% of the time I had no idea what was a clue or not because it either looked like some random texture on the ground, or because it was like under a table in some random room while the game is going "don't explore, move move move to the next whack a mole shooting gallery!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom