• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

Before I try and get SF4, what's the script with this game and GFWL and the newer version coming out?

Should I get this one or wait for the newer one?

decaf

Has anyone got a solid source showing the Steam sale is on for more than another 18 or so hours?

I'm also reading about the snow globes being deleted over the next few days - any source on that too?

Soule

An update on the further adventures of Cairon from Demonicon:

E91F9CA051FD1D4ED9EC19A20923646446E1114F

This image is making me laugh so much xD

Other games haven't given me this issue as bad as this game.

It's nice that they react somewhat intelligently to your shooting, but frankly in the end of the day I don't care. I just want to point it at their head and have them die, but I shoot, it misses by a fraction of an inch, then they wiggle all over the place and you're either having to spend forever in cover or you have to shootdodge all over the whole map just to be able to have enough time to headshot these spastic assholes without getting killed in 2 seconds. You simply can't play MP3 like you could MP1.

As for the golden guns, there's no real point to collecting them if that's all that they give you. especially since they're hidden so well in most places (that and clues. 99% of the time I had no idea what was a clue or not because it either looked like some random texture on the ground, or because it was like under a table in some random room while the game is going "don't explore, move move move to the next whack a mole shooting gallery!"

You can't make a headshot because the game is running at 15 FPS. Try playing either of the other two games at that framerate and you will find it very uncomfortable. I played it both on the PS3(steady 30) and PC(locked 60) and there is no issue with the hit detection. It's one of the best things about the game, a bullet goes where your reticle is. And you can't play any of the Max Payne games in the same way as their bullet time mechanics are very different. Also, the game doesn't force you to go to the next area at any point. When Max slows down it's telling you that going forward will change areas, giving you a chance to explore the area unlike 99% of other games.

Gvaz

Banned
What do you mean by this?

It's pretty max payne in that max payne does max payne things, which is a good thing.

However, the story itself is a horrible mess with a twist seen way before you're even done the first half of the game.

Kadin

One thing I really wasn't prepared for coming to the end of this sale is how the hell am I going to prioritize which of the 32 games I bought to play? I've dabbled with a few already but my A.D.D. is going into overdrive right now...

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Has anyone got a solid source showing the Steam sale is on for more than another 18 or so hours?

I'm also reading about the snow globes being deleted over the next few days - any source on that too?
The Steam website shows the sale as lasting to the third and the cards themselves say they expire on the third. Are those sources solid?

Bought Deadpool and I'm officially done. I didn't even want this game, that's a sign that one needs to stop. I want that Surface Pro 2 later this month!

Does the game have the awesome damage system from Wolverine: Origins?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Guys should I pick up Rayman Legends?

Edit: I love platformers but I never played Origins so I dont know if I'll like how these play.

Gvaz

Banned
You can't make a headshot because the game is running at 15 FPS. Try playing either of the other two games at that framerate and you will find it very uncomfortable. I played it both on the PS3(steady 30) and PC(locked 60) and there is no issue with the hit detection. It's one of the best things about the game, a bullet goes where your reticle is. And you can't play any of the Max Payne games in the same way as their bullet time mechanics are very different. Also, the game doesn't force you to go to the next area at any point. When Max slows down it's telling you that going forward will change areas, giving you a chance to explore the area unlike 99% of other games.

I noticed he did that starting around the second half, but he does not do that 100% of the time, leading to situations where I went "i didn't want to continue the story, i wanted to explore, ugh and now I can't go back because the door locked/exploded behind me".

Also I played MP1 as literally all guns blazing while strafing and I had no issues. I tried doing that here and I would just die 95% of the time. That's how I wanted to play MP3, and that's not what the game wanted me to do. The guns were pretty hitscan yeah, which is fine, and it is playable at 20-25 (which it was at most of the time, I see you keep latching onto 15) and part of that is my fault (my fault because I only have an HD5540 because my HD4890 died and I don't have the money to blow $300 on a graphics card that would give me a good fps. That's about how much extra money I have a month after working and paying bills.)

bigace33

For everyone's benefit, you can't add anything to the cart via client, web or mobile. Guess we'll have to wait it out!

Hopefully I won't miss the two games I want that are currently on sale. I'm sick to my stomach that I can't buy YNAB. B*( Would be an excellent purchase for the New Year.

Santini

Bought Deadpool and I'm officially done. I didn't even want this game, that's a sign that one needs to stop. I want that Surface Pro 2 later this month!

Does the game have the awesome damage system from Wolverine: Origins?

His body/costume show battle damage, but IIRC, Wolverine: Origins' was done better (it's been years since I last played it).

So I had I dream I was playing Sleeping Dogs, but it was set in the Bay Area. I was cruising around Santa Cruz and Palo Alto.

Sad we'll never see a S.F. Noire.

I noticed he did that starting around the second half, but he does not do that 100% of the time, leading to situations where I went "i didn't want to continue the story, i wanted to explore, ugh and now I can't go back because the door locked/exploded behind me".

Also I played MP1 as literally all guns blazing while strafing and I had no issues. I tried doing that here and I would just die 95% of the time. That's how I wanted to play MP3, and that's not what the game wanted me to do. The guns were pretty hitscan yeah, which is fine, and it is playable at 20-25 (which it was at most of the time, I see you keep latching onto 15) and part of that is my fault (my fault because I only have an HD5540 because my HD4890 died and I don't have the money to blow $300 on a graphics card that would give me a good fps. That's about how much extra money I have a month after working and paying bills.)

I can understand not having the money to upgrade but I just don't think it's fair to judge a twitch shooter's combat when you're forced to play at such a low framerate. And you can still play the game guns blazing, and it's how I played most of the time on the PC where the mouse gives you that extra bit of accuracy. The combination of shoot dodge and all of the other mobility options really let you fling yourself around at will and take out enemies in a flash. I used cover heavily only during one battle in the game towards the end. It's just an extra option given to flesh out the movement suite.

mrgone

Dailies only have another 18 hours on their timers for some reason, but all the non-daily deals end in 42 hours. The cards give the date and time that they expire in their inventory description, which is some time on the 3rd (I don't have any globes left to check :( )

decaf

Dailies only have another 18 hours on their timers for some reason, but all the non-daily deals end in 42 hours. The cards give the date and time that they expire in their inventory description, which is some time on the 3rd (I don't have any globes left to check :( )

Thank you :)

For us weirdos who like watching the badgeconomy, looks like palmdesert's focusing a little more on the normal badge and hit level 500. Wonder if he's out to top emiunsal?!

It's been interesting watching the trade posts shift. The concentration of people trying to swap their globes for cards from other games has steadily increased.

Going to have one more globe to get rid of after this next flash sale switches over, and then I'm out before they become totally impossible to trade 1:1. Next sale I think I'm only going to do one level of the badge and then trade any remaining cards so I don't have to worry about it so close to the end.

How low will they go? .05? .03? Should be interesting.

Clawww

Before I try and get SF4, what's the script with this game and GFWL and the newer version coming out?

Should I get this one or wait for the newer one?

they haven't said anything about patching out GFWL. on the safe side, it's good to assume they won't, and if that ends up being the case, you'll have a few weeks where you won't be able to play online between GFWL shutting down and Ultra coming out with steamworks.

what makes it worth buying regardless, though, is that the upgrade from AE to Ultra will only cost $15, whereas Ultra on its own will cost $30. so between that deal and the fact that you can still play online and improve until GFWL makes that little shutdown window worth sucking up IMO.

bonesquad

Launched Rogue Legacy, two hours later and I have another game I may end up adding to my GOTY list. Yeah, it's grindy, it reminds me of 10000000 on iOS in that regard, but unlike that game I really enjoy the actual game part in Rogue Legacy.

These Steam sales may not be as great and fresh as they were back in 2011, but they're still pretty damn great.

All the games I look at, even non-daily games, say there is 18:30 left... Globes say they last until 1/3 at 1pm EST.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
For those still hesitating on Valdis Story, there's a demo available here. Seems fairly long, I didn't even beat it yet haha. I experienced massive screen tearing at first, but I went in my nVidia settings and turned on vSync and it seems to have fixed the problem. I'll very probably buy it, looks pretty cool and challenging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom