• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you checked out Enemy Within? What do you think of the additions/modifications?

I have about 180 hours or so in EW. Maybe more. My take on it is this-

- The difficulty is higher for veterans of the game. "Normal" players will not see this but people who play on Impossible will find it harder.
- The new human faction you have to fight just kind of sucks. The missions are easy, you have to do a lot of them (6-8), and their AI is bad. It's tedious and the enemy AI needs fixing on these missions.
- The MEC troopers and gene mods / meld mechanic work out well. Think of MECs as the equivalent of bringing an IFV to a fight (and the existing SHIV is re-purposed wonderfully as a front line scout and tank). The pressure to gather Meld by adopting a more aggressive playstyle on the tactical map is a welcome change.
- The base defense is neat and tense even when you know exactly how it plays out.
- The new maps and changes to existing maps are wonderful.
- Some of the new second wave options are fantastic.

EW doesn't make EU have more emergent moments and certainly doesn't make the game less deterministic, which is what most EU detractors point out as the game's failing vs. 94 UFO (it's not a failing, it's just different IMO). If you loved EU and just want a good excuse to play through it again with all sorts of new stuff, EW is a must-buy.

Just crafted my 3rd level Snow Globe badge. Think I'll be stopping there for this sale. Plenty games to play and unless the last few flashes are exciting in anyway, I'm not really too bothered now.

Wanna try and get my level up this year so I get boosters and stuff, it wasn't till this sale I actually became elligible for them. Excited to get my first sometime...

GaussTek

Pretty sure you wont find a better deal, that's $5 a pop, I think lowest Infinite has been is $10 without a combo deal? (could be wrong lol)

Ohh, alright, thanks. Will grab it tomorrow once I'm a bit less drunk :p

I will only miss the Burial at Sea DLCs for Infinite (only interested on those), but it'll probably take a while to finish all the main games first and (hopefully) the DLCs will be on sale by then lol

Turfster

You guys have helped me, it's only fair to help someone else.
You're a prince among men, and I salute you.

Also, a happy new year to everyone. I spent way too much time wrestling with code, and when I looked up, it was 4am...

Orca

lol

Ok, so this may happen to Spidy, I hope to see it on the next round of flash sales or tomorrow on the daily deal!

I doubt they'll have the same happen with Spider-Man games. They probably locked down the Spider-Man license for a far longer term, knowing it'll keep selling.

Santiako

Damn Modbot won't let me nuke the key, so I'll give the mystery game to the first to post a pic of I dunno, a Disney princess?

Damn Modbot won't let me nuke the key, so I'll give the mystery game to the first to post a pic of I dunno, a Disney princess?

vs8lkSp.jpg

edit: i hope it's not a game i already own
edit2: it is a game i already own

Tempted to go buy Deadpool just because the license died but I have to save for that Surface Pro 2. Resist Rico resist! You have too many games to play already!
Damn you steam sale

FACE

Banned
Xenonauts is faithful to the 1994 games, but not to a fault. It's not afraid to break free from 94 UFO when it makes sense to do so, but the game always leans towards emergent behaviors and indeterminism when it can do so without being inbalanced or cumbersome to the player.

I still believe that modded 2012 EU is the best XCOM game ever made-it . Xenonauts will be out later in 2013, and I expect great things out of it. The Early Access beta and kickstarter beta access has been a huge help for the game already.

edit: I had a lot of fun with EW as well, but that's mostly because they upped the diffuculty (sorely needed, even on impossible). They largely succeeded in inverting the difficultly curve in the game now as well-you generally do NOT want to drag games out now due to late game alien buffs. Way too risky.

itCCn7sBhMXjL.jpg

Sounds terrific, thanks for the impressions.

Cth

Thanks to Mulder who sent kind words of encouragement as well as a copy of The Bridge. It's really appreciated! SteamGAF is too kind! Whenever I'm down all I have to do is visit the thread and see the kindness and generosity of strangers looking out for one another. You guys really are the best!

EDIT:
Also, thanks to KenOD to sent a copy of Bit.Trip.Fate..I sincerely appreciate it. YOu guys are way too kind. Thank you so much, I hope you both have a great new year!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Well with a couple of random giveaways, there went the rest of my Steam Wallet. Tis been a wonderful and fun Steam Sale and I can't wait to actually play most of the games I've gotten one way or another (bless that trade system) once I return home rather than just what this laptop can handle.

Hopefully for those who have another 37 hours left get something you truly want.
Also don't be afraid to look at the other side of the deals, the smaller titles. http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Price&sort_order=ASC&category1=998

Thanks to Mulder who sent kind words of encouragement as well as a copy of The Bridge. It's really appreciated! SteamGAF is too kind! Whenever I'm down all I have to do is visit the thread and see the kindness and generosity of strangers looking out for one another. You guys really are the best!

EDIT:
Also, thanks to KenOD to sent a copy of Bit.Trip.Fate..I sincerely appreciate it. YOu guys are way too kind. Thank you so much, I hope you both have a great new year!

A wonderful new year to you as well my friend.

Managed to finish 35 games this year. First time I've kept track of such things. It was my busiest year in my professional life, so the fact I found time to finish that many is pretty surprising.

Good year. Good games. Good Steam threads.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Since they survived Activision's financial year it seems they still have the licence.

Acti's financial year mirrors the calendar year so we're still a few days away from seeing the full effects of any intended spring cleaning (Bond was yanked on the 4th).

Won't be on at midnight, so happy New Years, everyone. Thanks for the great times on GAF, it's been a great year and I can't wait to see what 2014 brings

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Happy New Year GAF, and happy new thread!

I would very much like to trade my #1 for a #6 to complete the badge.

Volcynika

These have been sitting in my inventory for way too long, hopefully someone can find some use from them.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Ship -- MB-F0B776D31D3CC4EB - Taken by Intheflorsh
BIT.TRIP RUNNER -- MB-0C6B51D334E62C74 - Taken by KenOD

jmizzal

After winning some games from generous GAFers in the previous thread, the new year is my chance to give at least a little something back. ^^

It's a bit of an older title, but still one of my favourites in the series. Good luck! (hope I did everything correctly :p)

Old or not I'm in for this I really want this game lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom