• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I posted about this one yesterday. But the good news is that it is a Steamworks game. So all the retail copies will have a Steam key. Which is how I got my copy last year for £2.

I was hoping for a 90% fire sale on Steam itself so I could pick up a few spares, but alas.

DarkFlow

Banned
People sure drive down the market prices to stupid levels. I crafted a Rare item with the sale cards, and it's worth a whopping .03 cents. You would think something that only has 7K of would sell for a bit more.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Arma II probably isn't worth jack now that DayZ is a standalone thing, right?

ARMA II itself is a fun game. I don't remember what's part of Operation Arrowhead and what's part of the stand-alone game, but there's a default mode I've wasted a ton of hours in with friends where all you do really is fuck around in a huge open map starting at a base with many vehicles. Its a stupid fun sandbox type mode.

That and you can still play DayZ on ARMA 2 (and people still do), and there's other wonderful mods for it too outside of DayZ.

ARMA II itself is a fun game. I don't remember what's part of Operation Arrowhead and what's part of the stand-alone game, but there's a default mode I've wasted a ton of hours in with friends where all you do really is fuck around in a huge open map starting at a base with many vehicles. Its a stupid fun sandbox type mode.

That and you can still play DayZ on ARMA 2 (and people still do), and there's other wonderful mods for it too outside of DayZ.

Hmmm... is DayZ a different version or seperate entity from the new standalone one? So like, if you get Arma II and mod it up to be DayZ, you won't be playing with people that bought the $30 early access game, right?

--

I saw someone giving away copies of Savant - Ascent earlier in this thread -- I looked it up and it looks solid, especially for $1. Any reason I *shouldn't* buy it before the sale is over?

Fucking finally! Super Hexagon is very addicting.
XmLasF0.png

Sajjaja

Hmmm... is DayZ a different version or seperate entity from the new standalone one? So like, if you get Arma II and mod it up to be DayZ, you won't be playing with people that bought the $30 early access game, right?

--

I saw someone giving away copies of Savant - Ascent earlier in this thread -- I looked it up and it looks solid, especially for $1. Any reason I *shouldn't* buy it before the sale is over?

Q1: They are completely different. You won't be playing the ARMA2 mod with the people who bought the standalone game.

Q2: It's price won't be lower after the sale. lol

Colin.

I was hoping for a 90% fire sale on Steam itself so I could pick up a few spares, but alas.

I had the same thought, because these old sports games are usually guaranteed to have the licence expire, and stay that way. But I don't think it ever got any significant discount directly from Steam at all.

Just a quick reminder, that the Sonic Transformed 4-pack is $15 from Amazon. But disclaimer: If you host a 4-pack, be sure you will be redeeming it yourself. As Amazon gives you a single key, which will give you a copy and 3 copies in gift form for your inventory. Found that out when I hosted one, which caused a fair amount of confusion at the time.

Q1: They are completely different. You won't be playing the ARMA2 mod with the people who bought the standalone game.

Q2: It's price won't be lower after the sale. lol

Ok, figured as much, otherwise, I didn't see why people would buy the standalone over the $8 Arma II version.

My question regarding Savant was maybe worded confusing, but essentially "is this game worth $1?", not "will it be cheaper after the sale?" :)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

--

They're different, so they don't interact at all with each other. The mod is still available and still going to be updated for a while, and will stay available, but they are also shifting their main focus to stand-alone. But you could only play the mod with people who have the mod and play stand-alone with people who have stand-alone.

Kadin

So I think I screwed something up. I just purchased 2 copies of Risk of Rain via the Humble Store and sent one of the links to a friend of mine. He said it was already claimed, which apparently was by me. I didn't redeem the key or anything.

Any ideas what I need to do so I can send him the game? Got another one for another friend as well...

border

How good is You Need a Budget? I work two jobs but the number of hours I get at Job #1 varies and Job #2 is tip driven, so it's very hard to budget since my income can vary pretty wildly.

JaseC

Here's hoping I can sell enough cards to buy Valdis (I need to make another $1.08 within the next 11.5 hours). I could relist my Logician Knight foil, but I'm not that desperate for the game.

How good is You Need a Budget? I work two jobs but the number of hours I get at Job #1 varies and Job #2 is tip driven, so it's very hard to budget since my income can vary pretty wildly.

I can't say from personal experience, but my curiosity led me to look up some stuff and it looks like it lets you adjust your income every week and then budget those dollars out to expenses... so as long as you're willing to update your income every week to reflect what you're bringing in, you should be able to use it, I think?

Here's hoping I can sell enough cards to buy Valdis. I need to make another $1.08 within the next 11.5 hours.

I'm out of cards to sell. I just want $0.80 so I can get Savant - Ascent with credit. :lol

denx

Here's hoping I can sell enough cards to buy Valdis (I need to make another $1.08 within the next 11.5 hours). I could relist my Logician Knight foil, but I'm not that desperate for the game.

I'm farming Trine for cards right now. I'm sitting at 3.65 Steambucks. So painfully close, agh.

JaseC

You have any games you could trade?

I have the Half-Life games, but I'm saving those for a Half-Life 3 giveaway (haha). I also have spare copies of CSI: Hard Evidence, Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime + DLC, Motor Rock, Saw and Test Drive: Ferrari, but they're all going to make me rich at some point after they're inevitably pulled (well, Motor Rock has already been pulled; I'm just waiting for offers to rise).

Dambrosi

Banned
Same for me with Hammerwatch. I'm currently sitting on 57p, so I'm hoping for at least £1 in card moneys before the sale ends.

Oh, anyone know what happened with Humble Bundle X?

Ok?

I really don't understand not buying a game you (probably?) want because it uses Origin. Origin isn't the devils hell hole it is made out to be.

It's pretty bad - essentially one step away from malware. I refuse to use the program as is because it has the capability to snoop in your system folders, even after you've uninstalled it.

Still, $4 might be worth it.

Eusis

Oh, duh, sorry. The banner says the sale runs until the 3rd so I can only assume that portion of the news posts is a mistake.

Edit: Then again the current Dailies are simply marked as general Holiday Sale offers and end in just under 13 hours. *shrug*
My guess is that everything that's on sale stops being on sale, then it's ONLY a recap of the best deals on Thursday with the sale truly ending on Friday. Well, maybe the other sales just get a last minute renew and it's all so we can't guess what the recap deals will be, but either way.

NMFried

Do the dailies all go on sale again at the end like they used to? I just partitioned my Mac and want to pick up Quantum Conundrum but I'd rather wait until the end to see what else is up for sale.

border

I can't say from personal experience, but my curiosity led me to look up some stuff and it looks like it lets you adjust your income every week and then budget those dollars out to expenses... so as long as you're willing to update your income every week to reflect what you're bringing in, you should be able to use it, I think?

I already track income from my tip-driven job on a spreadsheet, so it's not really a big hassle to enter in my day-to-day income. I assume that there is a phone app that works alongside the desktop version of You Need a Budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom