• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicero

I feel that going private does more harm than anything, for example some fellow GAF members aren't able to see your profile (if they want to do so for whatever reason). Besides, I wouldn't worry about a random person calling me selfish on the Internet, myself. Mostly because that's probably true (heh heh heh) and it's really more of a good laugh in most cases than a reason to feel offended. I don't know, maybe I just have thick skin.
For me it wasn't about being offended but just extremely annoyed to friend someone only to have them demand games and insult me when I didn't give them something. Not to mention the annoyance of having people go through my inventory and begging for TF2 item gifts/trades. Most of the time with GAFers I can tell they are already in the Steam GAF group and have friends that I already have friended as well. It's not as if I don't still get random friend requests, just got a couple recently from people who are apparently from Morocco who were in a deal group I joined. I just don't get the same volume of people who see what I own and then friend me based on that alone to get something from me.

iSujrThyk6CNK.png

This mistake in Amazon almost made me spent more than I expected. Too bad amazon, I can read!

UrbanRats

Advice is still sound. All games on sale had their timer counting down to today.
Sure.
Seems a confusing way to handle it though.

It'd be just easier to end all sales on the same day.

Why assume instead of reading this thread? We talked about the countdowns running out all day and longer. The suggestion was always to buy everything before the dailies run out.
Because it has been like this in all previous sales i participated in, that's why i "assumed".
I don't see why i should've suspected otherwise and read the thread, to be honest.
I only enter the steam thread when i have a specific question or remark to make, if i knew (as in: if i had noticed the shorter countdown) there was something different with the deals expiration, i wouldn't have needed to come in the thread in the first place. ;)

Not a big deal anyway, i'll get them in the next sale.

Borderlands 2 worth it for a lonely bastard?

Hell yea. One of the best FPS games of the generation, easily.

Better if you enjoy loot games like Diablo since part of the fun is discovering loot. The good thing is that even if you're not a big fan of loot games, you'll still get good enough equipment without trying to finish the game multiple times. If you DO like loot games, you'll find the game is infinitely replayable.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It's even worse in coop since the bulletsponge enemies get even more sponge.

BL2's success and popularity puzzles me more then just about any major game ever. So bad.

and that's not even taking into account the absolute worst part of the game.... the writing

I bought XCOM, though rather predictably it ends up in the encore sale at the same price, meaning I could have tried the demo first. It doesn't matter though, I've hyped myself into game, so I can't imagine I won't enjoy it. To anyone who bothered to reply, thanks for the help. I just needed a few people to push me into buying it.

The encore deals are a little underwhelming, comprised mostly of the big titles. The only one I'm vaguely interested in is The Stanley Parable.

What was the best deal on The Stanley Parable during the sales? I might bite at 25% off, but I'm curious to know what was the biggest price reduction it received.

Good man :). Sorry I was tetchy earlier by the way, sleep deprivation :/.

Yeah, Infinite is the one I'm least interested in of the three.

Metro: Last Light looks great, but how does it run? The first one was def not optimized well IMO

XCOM: I don't usually play TBS or RTS games. It's not to say I don't enjoy them, it's the time investment in learning them that turns me off usually. Is this one a little more streamlined as far as the learning curve (comparatively to other games in the genre)?

XCOM; I found it very noob friendly from that point of view since it was the first time I had ever played that sort of game and understood it all perfectly well. Understanding it and actually not being terribad at the game are not quite the same however but it doesn't stop me loving it. I can't coment on the other two games since I've not played them but you will get a lot of bang for your buck with XCOM. If that's a consideration for you then that would be my recommendation. The other two games aren't going to go anywhere and will only get cheaper.

randombeggarmquf5.png

It's been forever since a random dude last asked me for games on Steam. I feel invigorated!

LOL

It almost makes me wish I had that happen to me.

Almost.

AsylumX

If you check the store page of the old fallout games it already says that they are published by bethesda... so maybe they 'll come back sooner than we thought...

cicero

I have only started spending money after about 300-400 hours in. But then... Be careful, be very careful.

This is quite true, I did the same with TF2. I put hundreds of hours into it, then started spending money on keys. I wish I could have that wasted money back.

Fireblend

Banned
I just want to say XCOM is easily the best game out of all the encore games, and if you haven't played it you're doing yourself an enormous disservice.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly the reason why my profile is no longer public. I got blasted as "selfish" by some random person because I had like 400 games and wouldn't give him something for free. I don't need that nonsense.
You didn't give a random, aggressive fool a game he wanted? Someone who you never intended to talk to, and who only contacted you out of convenience? How can you sleep at night? Seriously, HOW CAN YOU?

Don't worry about it, man. Just block those fools, or even better, don't add them in the first place. If they are perfect strangers (no friends or groups in common, and usually with very few games -or only free ones), then it's probably best to ignore their requests.

Sullichin

My recommendation: play through on Easy. It won't expose as many of the games flaws at that point.
Experience the story, and the first 30 minutes of atmosphere, call it a day.

I would give the exact opposite advice: I think the game is far more fun on hard or 1999 mode. The combat shines on harder difficulties.

Anyone here play Hammerwatch? I played a local coop round last night and it was pretty fun. I couldn't figure out how to have both players use controllers though. Player 2's controller only registered start and back buttons. Also, does the game retain class upgrades across play sessions?

maty

Really Humble Bundle? I bought Machinarium and Samorost 2 on Steam one hour ago...

That's unfortunate, this happened to me as well with HB2 if I remember correctly. At least it can be a great gift if you decide to buy the bundle.

Machinarium has appeared in several bundles yet it deserves every sale. Great game and amazing soundtrack.

Evo X

Borderlands 2 is exponentially more fun with friends. Spent most of the time chatting and laughing my ass off in that game. Why would you play it alone? I'm sure you can find a group of people who bought it during the sale.

cicero

Bye-bye non-Bethesda Fallout games:

Edit: The actual apps have had the publisher detail changed to Bethesda Game Studios, so assuming the intention is to return the games to the store then they shouldn't be gone long.

None whatsoever.
I hope not. I have been holding onto the last of my Fallout Collection $2.99 price error copies expecting this to happen. Someday a new fervent Steam collector is going to want to go up against PalmDesert and will need what I have to offer.

bonesquad

I really enjoyed Borderlands 2, both solo and playing with friends. I thought it was good fun if you don't take it too seriously. They just need to get a new writer... terrible. Yes, I get it. I've seen that meme on the internet a million times now... Yet somehow I still enjoyed a number of the characters. I just really like the post-apocalyptic western setting:)

Myshkin

Hmm, my Internet glitched. Well have it, and quickly, I gotta take a shower.
1 2 3 7 8

Giving away globes. Take 1 or 2 to fill out your set.
Initiate chat on Steam. ID is in my profile.

left: 1 8

Will leave these available for 10 minutes, then dump them on the market.

Okay. Dumping what's left on the market. These globes are easier to trade than they are to give away.

cicero

Why? I was going to pick them up eventually... but I have them on GOG.
Unfortunately GOG went and deleted all of the unredeemed gift copies from the recent free promo of the Fallout Pack today. I had planned on doing a 10 copy giveaway this summer. :(

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
When people you dont know ask you randomly for free games on steam chat give em Bad Rats or Fowl Space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom