• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Indie Spring Sale 2013 | March 21-29

Zeldana

Neo Member
Don't think I saw it mentioned yet, but the Season Pass for Kentucky Route Zero is currently 25% off. I'll bite eventually but for now... backlog. @_@

Proteus also looks tempting...

Bufbaf said:
Wow, Super Hexagon looks way more fun in videos than it is to actually play. I kinda feel bad for spending that one buck now, can't play this game for more than 10 seconds without fucking up thanks to the controls and the constant screen rotation :(
Be persistant! It took me hours to nail the controls. After that it's really just a matter of memorizing patterns and reacting quickly.

Man I want this game, but I missed the time it was part of a 5-$5 indie bundle and I just can't bring myself to pay $5-7 for it.................
I'd seriously suggest you reconsider, it's one of my favourite games and I honestly can't recommend it enough. If you're at all interested in dungeon crawlers please give it a chance, it's a fun twist on the genre.

I've had more fun with Recettear than most retail releases.

what do they mean by "partial" controller support?

I already own the game on PS3.
Yeah, they don't explain that pretty well. I think it might mean using the mouse in the menus or it could just mean Big Screen mode.
Partial Controller Support
Games with Partial Controller Support may require a keyboard and mouse from time to time, during installation or for limited interactions.

Here's full support for comparison:
Full Controller Support
Games with Full Controller Support will work without a mouse and keyboard on hand, from installation to play and beyond.

GWX

what do they mean by "partial" controller support?

I already own the game on PS3.

Settings is a separate application only usable with mouse/keyboard. The game itself supports controller natively. Get the PC version for the co-op!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The actual game supports pad so don't worry. There isn't some complex control scheme. Matter of fact, when I played it, I don't even recall having to use anything but the pad.

Thoughts/recommendations on these games:

Legend of Grimrock - awesome dungeon crawler which serves as a great introdiction to the genre
Binding of Isaac - a marmite game, you either love it or hate it (most swing towards the former). worth trying for such a low price.
Half-Minute Hero - terrible on PC. the updated graphics look fugly, the old school graphics are too low res. the keyboard controls can't be rebound, and we all know the 360 controller is worthless for dpad games. the game is excellent, but only on PSP/Vita where it belongs.

anddo0

Okay, thanks for the replies guys.

About FTL

I heard the game is luck based for the most part?

Will it get overly frustrating once the tutorial is over?

If I don't have the right ship by end-game I'm SOL against the boss?

Okay, thanks for the replies guys.

About FTL

I heard the game is luck based for the most part?

Will it get overly frustrating once the tutorial is over?

If I don't have the right ship by end-game I'm SOL against the boss?
You're going to die a lot, and sometimes it will be unfair and it will feel like you have no chance to win. It can be frustrating.

Saying that, it's amazing fun to play and when the luck is in your favour it feels amazing. You also mitigate the bad luck through experiences learned from playing the game, you'll feel like a badass the first time you get out of a situation you thought was unwinnable. The game is short and made for multiple playthroughs with different types of ship.

It's definitely a game I'd recommend to anyone who likes spaceships or scifi.

Don't sleep on Magical Drop. It's been updated a bunch, and I think there's a massive patch incoming.

I played through Story Mode of MD5 and I am really liking it. Of course when I tried to go online, hardly anyone is there. I would definitely recommend MD5 for $2.49 if you like puzzle games. Plus, it is true a patch is coming this month.

If anyone wants to play head to head and whatnot, my Steam ID is in my profile.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm going to get Magical Drop V and Antichamber for sure. I kind of want one of Galaxy on Fire 2 HD or Strike Suit Zero. The latter looks more up my alley, but I'm not sure. What's the consensus better game?

fushi

I just bought Kentucky Route Zero without realizing that I broke the golden rule of WAITING FOR THE DAILY DEALS.

It'll be 50% off, probably. Gah.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I just bought Kentucky Route Zero without realizing that I broke the golden rule of WAITING FOR THE DAILY DEALS.

Don't worry, there's no evidence that there are any daily deals.

Great. Glad I just caved and bought it. Figured it was worth the sale price at least.

I'm one of the few people who like I Am Alive, so maybe I can forgive it's annoyances.

I'm playing I Am Alive and so far like it way more than Deadlight. Deadlight gets really old, really fast.
Half-Minute Hero - terrible on PC. the updated graphics look fugly, the old school graphics are too low res. the keyboard controls can't be rebound, and we all know the 360 controller is worthless for dpad games. the game is excellent, but only on PSP/Vita where it belongs.
Alternatively, the updated visuals are perfectly functional and the 360 pad works perfectly fine. I'm having as much fun with it on PC as I did on PSP.

An-Det

I'm interested in DLC Quest? Decent fun for a platformer? Also picking up Bit Trip collection. Somewhat new to PC so I've missed many bundles, lol.

I liked it. The humor worked well for me, and it was fun while it lasted. It's not more than a few hours and not difficult, but for the price it's worth it imo.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

There's no indication it will be that cheap, and especially not since the game is relatively new.

If you want though (for anyone else wondering anyways), DunderHassan from the Buy/Sell/Trade thread told me he could get it for about $12.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Bientôt l'été is new as well and it's 75% off.

Bientôt l'été was also cheaper base-price and tale of tales are no strangers to the steam sales/bundles bit. It just seems like the KRZ guys aren't really all into that whole "less is more" thing when it comes to sales pricing. Plus, Bientôt l'été is a singular experience you can replay a few times while KRZ is a planned 5 episode long season.

I mean, I personally would love for KRZ to go down in price more, my finger sits on the trigger but I really do want to save some money for other games in the coming months and $18~ is more than i'm willing to spend on one game that isn't one of those three. I just don't see them cutting the price any further anytime soon. I will be genuinely shocked if it hits 50% off during the summer sale.

gdt

Two games I'm specifically looking at right now are Gianna Sisters and Thomas Was Alone......any more impressions for these two?

dani_dc

This is a pretty good bundle that appeared today:

Double Fine Capy Bundle
Psychonauts
Might & Magic Clash of Heroes
Critter Crunch, Costume Quest
Stacking, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Brutal Legend

€23,99

Just €1 euro more than Double Fine bundle and you get all Capy games.

L3E2

Aw man I really want Magical Drop 5. How long does it usually take to transfer money from a bank account to a paypal account? I'm in Canada too if that makes any difference.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Aw man I really want Magical Drop 5. How long does it usually take to transfer money from a bank account to a paypal account? I'm in Canada too if that makes any difference.

If you have a Paypal account linked to a bank account it's instantaneous. I can't remember the initial process though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
If you have a Paypal account linked to a bank account it's instantaneous. I can't remember the initial process though.

iirc the initial set up is either instant by entering your online bank account info and filling in all of the security questions correctly - or waiting 3-5 days for paypal to deposit two small amounts into your bank account and then entering those amounts into a spot on paypal to confirm it is your account.

The money transfer should be instant, it did warn me once that it could take up to 3 business days depending on a few factors though.

Anyone with an interest in battle puzzlers should buy Magical Drop V. Seriously, it's a lot of fun! There's a big patch coming this month, too. $2.49 is a steal. There's a demo available as well. Try it.

FloatOn

Anyone with an interest in battle puzzlers should buy Magical Drop V. Seriously, it's a lot of fun! There's a big patch coming this month, too. $2.49 is a steal. There's a demo available as well. Try it.

I'd be inclined to get it were it not for the anime girls. I also have critter crunch which I hear is the better game.

I'd be inclined to get it were it not for the anime girls. I also have critter crunch which I hear is the better game.
Don't pass it up on the art style. The gameplay is more than worth it.

And I would disagree. I vastly prefer MDV to Critter Crunch. They're very different games in terms of speed and mechanics, though. MDV is a lot faster and straightforward, which I personally enjoy more.

And like I said, there's a demo. Definitely try that and see if you feel the gameplay is worth it. I play it regularly, so if you (or anyone else gets it), I'd be more than happy to play.

FloatOn

Have 6 dollars from selling TF2 items. Should I get Hotline Miami?

Absolutely! I beat it last month and it is easily one of the most memorable games I've played in 20+ years of gaming.

I feel kind of ridiculous getting Super Hexagon when I could just get it on my phone but it's a dollar so whatever...

I kind of feel like picking up a platformer from this sale. What should I get: They Bleed Pixels or Stealth Bastard?

Top Bottom