• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Saoirse dancing killed GAF?
I'm so proud of myself and the Irish goddess.

Also, Game #2 of the year finished.
header.jpg

Was actually quite decent, but a few of the scenes crossed *way* over the line.
Like selling the only black character in the game world into slavery.
Treating two people on separate occasions to a urinal pie sandwich.
Sending a bunch of babies to a pedophile's trailer so that he can have his way with them.

Not recommended to anyone who can't stomach South Park-like humour.

Maybe I should blow through the Deponia games this year. O_O

Arthea

Finished second game this year - Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey. I'm on the roll!
Well ya, that's kinda cheating... I finished it last year, but getting last two achievements took me almost the same time as rest of the game, so it's still legit, I'd say.
I like how this game actually awards you for being bad at it, you don't need to work extra for word count achievements.
not true, I don't like it at all (><)

Maybe I should blow through the Deponia games this year. O_O

these strike me as not your thing, not sure why... Do you even like point&click games?

Tizoc

Finished second game this year - Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey. I'm on the roll!
Well ya, that's kinda cheating... I finished it last year, but getting last two achievements took me almost the same time as rest of the game, so it's still legit, I'd say.
I like how this game actually awards you for being bad at it, you don't need to work extra for word count achievements.
not true, I don't like it at all (><)

these strike me as not your thing, not sure why... Do you even like point&click games?

Yo what's the fastest way to get Gems in letter Quest? Sick and tired of later enemies wasting me lol.

Ruruja

I actually played!

Reached the caves in Dear Esther, then quit and wanted to start again but it only lets me choose the first chapter. Obviously it didn't save, also my settings didn't save either. Something is wrong... could it be a Windows permissions issue? I'm not sure if it's across all Steam games, I should check another game...

I don't think Dear Esther has a save feature. It's only about an hour to complete it though so shouldn't matter, but I've gone back to it to find a missing save before too.

Arthea

Yo what's the fastest way to get Gems in letter Quest? Sick and tired of later enemies wasting me lol.

You pay attention to their weaknesses, don't you? If you do, you shouldn't be having any problems, also the right set of books, weapons and other perks helps too.
If you still have problems, replay some earlier levels for gems and upgrade your gear and books, don't forget to buy potions too.

AegisScott

Neo Member
Great selection. The Ghibli-inspired Aegis Defenders is also one to look out for, coming late 2015.

vYB2s0c.gif

Oh wow, it's finally getting released this year? I remember first seeing it on TIGsource.com

Thanks for the nod, guys! The game will likely be done late in 2015, which means that it'll realistically see an early 2016 release. We will be starting our Beta program in late Summer, so keep your eyes peeled!

C4rter

Two classics

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (C4rter, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Shadow Warrior Classic Redux -- MB-15E871E5C5D6091D - Taken by MillionStabs
Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition -- MB-3CA04439DA255CC7 - Taken by nightstorm

tebunker

Banned

Thanks! That may scratch the itch. It looks ver Neo Nectaris/Advanced Wars etc.

What made Vasteel awesome was that your individual battles were more like arena action shooters where you directly controlled the unit. It was fun because if you were really good you could use a very low class unit to beat a much more powerful one. Not always but sometimes.

I don't think Dear Esther has a save feature. It's only about an hour to complete it though so shouldn't matter, but I've gone back to it to find a missing save before too.

Ah I see, makes sense. I just thought it would save because it asks you to select a chapter when you start (with all being grayed out except the first), I guess it let's you select them after finishing it once.

Jawmuncher

Happy Birthday :p
Still hoping that Dino Crisis 1 & 2 will be available on Steam :/

Lol.
Sounds like a jealous guy ;P

This has gotta be the year I say every year.
Think I just need all of Neogaf to help me bombard capcom about it. Both ports work fine on pc if they want to be lazy and not update.

$1.89 or more (ONLY FIRST 24h) for

• Krater Collector’s Edition + Cards
  • Why So Evil + Cards
  • Eternal Winter
  • CubeZ
  • Claustrophobia: The Downward Struggle
  • Space Salvager

for those too lazy to click

Hmm. I've been tentatively interested in Krater before, but the rest of those look pretty crappy aside from maybe Claustrophobia.

Jawmuncher

yeah it's bulletstorm

i just finished Lost Planet, it was actually pretty fun!

Have you played 2?
I enjoyed it but it's kinda all over the place. Was defibitley designed to mainly be played with friends all the way through. You should also mod it so you can play as any character from the get go. Frank West or Wesker make the SP more fun at least for me when I played on consoles. To

Anteater

Have you played 2?
I enjoyed it but it's kinda all over the place. Was defibitley designed to mainly be played with friends all the way through. You should also mod it so you can play as any character from the get go. Frank West or Wesker make the SP more fun at least for me when I played on consoles. To

no i haven't, i really want to get it though, one of my friends told me it's fun in coop so we all are looking to buy it

it looks like capcom usa don't know what to do with its gfwl so there hasn't been any discount though :(

autoduelist

What's everyone's opinion on How to Survive?

Enjoyed the demo on ps4 enough to buy it on deep sale during the sale on my limited budget; it being under $2 helped that decision.

"Rogue-like" has got to be the most common new description I keep seeing which I have no idea what it means.

Part of the problem is that the definition got nuked in the last few years because games started calling themselves 'roguelites' but nobody used that term so everything started getting called roguelike. Meanwhile, traditional roguelikes also got a boost in popularity due to games like Dungeons of Dredmor simplifying and modernizing certain aspects.

Traditional Roguelike:
Usually a dungeon crawler.
Turn based.
Often either ASCII based or tile based (most popular ascii ones have tile set front ends available nowadays).
Permadeath, you die you die.
Randomized dungeons and lewt (usually 'set' lewt, but what you find is widely variable).
Exploration is key, knowledge is power -- over the course of many deaths, you'll learn solid starting strategies that up your survivability until you can actually beat the game.
Examples: Nethack, Stonesoup, ToME.

Newschool Roguelike/Roguelite (really 'lite', but don't expect anyone to stick to that)
Usually action oriented, like Spelunky or Binding of Isaac.
Retains permadeath.
Retains randomized dungeons and lewt (ie, powerups in BoI, store inventory in Spelunky).
Again, exploration and knowledge trump all, such as learning to use rocks to trigger traps in Spelunky.

Nowadays, games like Mario Brothers would likely be called a roguelike if they came out today, which is borderline ridiculous.

Many older games like the original top down Wolfensteins were actual early 'roguelites' but nobody called them that. It had randomized dungeons, randomized lewt, permadeath, exploration, but was action based. (total gems)

There are also now many other hybrids. For example, Dungeon of the Endless is a RTWP (real time with pause) game that follows almost all other roguelike conventions, except adds retro graphics and a solid tower defense/base building element.

Obviously, there's always been room for some differences in any genre, but 'roguelike' used to mean 'like a game called Rogue' (ie, Nethack, etc.). Now, as a previous poster said, it means 'permadeath' (or not, maybe sorta) because calling it roguelike might help sell my game to the hardcore (I'm one of these suckers, I prefer permadeath games).

Back in the day, permadeath was common. For example, my avatar/name is based on a game called Autoduel from the 80s. If you died, you died. You could buy a clone, but otherwise it would delete your save. And during the final mission, you would lose your clone, and it would delete your save... you had once chance to beat the game or else you started over.

If you want to dip your toes in an easy roguelike that is very accessible and easy enough for beginners to learn/master/love, get Dungeons of Dredmor. Great game.

Do want. Looks great, thanks for the point in its direction.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Claustrophobia -- MB-9EFB6FC38BBDBC38 - Taken by thereisnoif
Why So Evil -- MB-723ED6CD502B751E - Taken by autoduelist
x

Pranay

ModBot said:
Instructions for Pranay_:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Pranay_, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Shadow Warrior Classic Redux! -- MB-F5288D1A1828831D - Taken by Speevy

Posted in that new LTTP Witcher thread, but maybe someone here knows something:

Was all excited to play it, but I can't get The Witcher: EE to start. It boots up for a split-second, then immediately quits before showing any kind of screen. This is on Windows 8. Tried the -dontForceMinReqs fix, but it doesn't help.

Not sure what to do.

Can't get the damn thing to work.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know the 'official policy', but I'd certainly hope you own your own words and can do whatever the hell you want with them.

Go for it. ^_^

It's your impressions you can do whatever you want with it. Impressions are basically reviews somewhat anyway.

You also never answered about dino crisis if you like it or not.

Thanks for the quick replies! Dino Crisis is unknown to me. Now Nanosaur, that was my JAM. (I'm not promising that this guy's LP is any good)

Posted in that new LTTP Witcher thread, but maybe someone here knows something:

Can't get the damn thing to work.

What kind of gfx card are you on?
I had no issues with a 770 earlier this year and didn't have to do anything special... but i'd search for issues related to your specific card as a jump off point, perhaps?

Hey guys. Is it possible to play music in the Steam client via playlists (m3u) ? Don't want a per-album basis. My lists are my life.
Fuck you, boy in class!
Did you manage to apply a restoration patch ? >_>
soo , there is some people are broadcasting NEKOPARA
what an interesting game
Looks cute but some scenes are waaaaay into pedoland :/
I should play it though.
What's the policy on neogaf impressions being repurposed as steam reviews? I'd like to move this over to dimmdrive's store page after a little editing. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145910785&postcount=941
Oh what an interesting read. Thanks man. That sounds cool but I wonder if it is worth the hassle for someone who plays games off an SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom