• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Speaking of PC ports, how is DD's keyboard and mouse?

EDIT: not that I would, but I find it's a good way to know the effort put into a PC port.
It has really solid mouse and keyboard support. They also let you switch on the fly, so it works well as a hybrid setup with the Steam Controller.

Tizoc

I don't think we've ever said that, although I'm sure we've locked various threads that are basically "<Steamspy numbers> LOL U MAD H8RS??? PC > ALL" or that degenerate into that kind of thing.
In my defense i never did this
It's console peeps that tend to derail the thread and i dont recall reading any posts from pcgaf downplaying consoles :x

Seems you have changed your opinion slightly. I recall you disliking my buying Uncharted Collection awhile back. It's all good now since it covers some of that criteria.

No I said I personally find it silly to buy the Uncharted collection as I think the PS3 versions are just fine is all.

Only bummer about DDDA's KB&M support is the lack of keyboard shortcuts and the unrebindable menu stuff. (Ins & Page Up will be your best friends.)
Believe in the heart of the cards.
tumblr_m3z7i2MQTq1ro8syqo2_250.gif

Only bummer about DDDA's KB&M support is the lack of keyboard shortcuts and the unrebindable menu stuff. (Ins & Page Up will be your best friends.)

tumblr_m3z7i2MQTq1ro8syqo2_250.gif

there are some keyboard shortcuts though...at least for items

press1-5 when you're on an item in your inventory and you assign that a shortcut...then all you have to do is hit that key instead of going through the inventory

Port begging is a weird thing here. That thread wouldn't really fall under Port-Begging.
But something like "I want Kingdom Hearts on PC would be". If things were so strict, a lot of us would be banned from our numerous talks of outside games.
Stump has said as much in the past over it. It's all about the climate and actual topic of said thread.

Yeah, I think I've read that as well back then. If the port begging posts are starting to derail the thread from its original discussion, then it'll get people banned.
I think I saw a Lost Odyssey thread earlier and it's doing fine.

I really hope there'll be mods for quicksave and quickmap button.

For DDDA, KB&M: Opening the menu and pressing 'i' will do a quicksave (that you still need to confirm an overwrite for the save... but still a bit faster.)
there are some keyboard shortcuts though...at least for items

press1-5 when you're on an item in your inventory and you assign that a shortcut...then all you have to do is hit that key instead of going through the inventory

Consumable and auxiliary items, yeah, but not something like a port crystal or map. So instead of going straight to the equip, map, or quest screens, you go to the main menu, navigate to the appropriate icon, and then enter the menu.

It's an unnecessary oversight.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Then it'll be labeled as a port-begging thread.

I think we know that companies are considering and releasing ports and we're generally good with discussions of that nature. I think we also increasingly know that there's a pattern of a game being made for all platforms but announced for some first and then 6 months or a year later releasing more broadly. Half the time we get retailer leaks, CV leaks, or ESRB leaks that support that premise early. So we're not putting our heads in the sand over this stuff.

Capcom, notably, is clearly in the process of expanding their catalogue titles. I think they're a publisher that has a rich IP back catalogue but not enough resources to compete in 2016 on full-budget launches. I think for them it's pretty logical to transition into a structure where you're making lots of passive income and you can scale down the company's new operations or focus them more concretely on fewer titles while having a strong baseline of catalogue income. Sega's a little further along this process in that they basically admit they are no longer a new release company. Konami seems to have pivoted out of the industry altogether. Namco is not quite as bad as Capcom.

The purpose of port begging rules is to prevent actual announcements of games and actual discussion of games getting drowned out from sour grapes platform warriors. The games we've taken the most action on historically--Dragon Quest IX, Epic Mickey, Monster Hunter 3 and 4, Bayonetta 2--have mostly been cases of games being announced for the "wrong" platform and pathetic blubbering babies melting down over it. The purpose of those rules was never to prohibit people from discussing platforms.

Now, I will say that threads that look like "Title: Publisher says they are considering porting something some time maybe" "OP: Here is a list of 800 games I think should be on my fav platform including stuff that has no chance of ever being ported and has nothing to do with the publisher in the title" "First Reply: Fuck you OP, Sony rules" are not the kind of conversation we're hoping to have happen.

Jawmuncher

Kaiba was such a gangsta in yugioh; that's why I was rooting for him and not that cheating prick Atem

Checked after seeing this, surprised the newest Yu-gi-Oh game isn't on Steam. I swore it was at one point. Guess I was wrong. Dinosaurs being a actual theme for Yugioh was the best.

I think we know that companies are considering and releasing ports and we're generally good with discussions of that nature. I think we also increasingly know that there's a pattern of a game being made for all platforms but announced for some first and then 6 months or a year later releasing more broadly. Half the time we get retailer leaks, CV leaks, or ESRB leaks that support that premise early. So we're not putting our heads in the sand over this stuff.

Capcom, notably, is clearly in the process of expanding their catalogue titles. I think they're a publisher that has a rich IP back catalogue but not enough resources to compete in 2016 on full-budget launches. I think for them it's pretty logical to transition into a structure where you're making lots of passive income and you can scale down the company's new operations or focus them more concretely on fewer titles while having a strong baseline of catalogue income. Sega's a little further along this process in that they basically admit they are no longer a new release company. Konami seems to have pivoted out of the industry altogether. Namco is not quite as bad as Capcom.

The purpose of port begging rules is to prevent actual announcements of games and actual discussion of games getting drowned out from sour grapes platform warriors. The games we've taken the most action on historically--Dragon Quest IX, Epic Mickey, Monster Hunter 3 and 4, Bayonetta 2--have mostly been cases of games being announced for the "wrong" platform and pathetic blubbering babies melting down over it. The purpose of those rules was never to prohibit people from discussing platforms.

Now, I will say that threads that look like "Title: Publisher says they are considering porting something some time maybe" "OP: Here is a list of 800 games I think should be on my fav platform including stuff that has no chance of ever being ported and has nothing to do with the publisher in the title" "First Reply: Fuck you OP, Sony rules" are not the kind of conversation we're hoping to have happen.

That's cool, then. Thanks for the explanation, Stump!
I do think that Capcom ports will come to PC sooner or later, it's just a lock at this point.

Theres not a key for quicksaving?

why god, why?

There's a somewhat quicksaving feature, but it requires you to press 3 buttons instead of 1.
Press start (esc), then back (I), then confirm. It's the quickest way to save the game.

Jawmuncher

That's cool, then. Thanks for the explanation, Stump!
I do think that Capcom ports will come to PC sooner or later, it's just a lock at this point.
There's a somewhat quicksaving feature, but it requires you to press 3 buttons instead of 1.
Press start (esc), then back (I), then confirm. It's the quickest way to save the game.

Outside of RE7 and maybe one other game with Huge Budgets. I see most of Capcom's work this gen being ports and remasters. So hopefully we're treated to quite a few on steam.

Any quicksave where you need to confirm the act of saving is a failure. Dunno how this even ends up happening, aside from misguided attempts to prevent savescumming.
excuse you

heart of the cards isn't cheating bruh

The thread I got that image from reminded everyone that, actually, Yuigi's heart of the cards technique is literally stacking the deck and picking up the card he needs exactly when he needs it.

Believe it!

NinjaEdit: Here we go (from that thread):
This is actually addressed at the end of story (anime version) where you discover Yami Yugi's puzzle's ability is to draw whatever card in the deck he wants, Basically he actually cheats in-universe, as in straight up cheating.

Messiah

Any quicksave where you need to confirm the act of saving is a failure. Dunno how this even ends up happening, aside from misguided attempts to prevent savescumming.

The thread I got that image from reminded everyone that, actually, Yuigi's heart of the cards technique is literally stacking the deck and picking up the card he needs exactly when he needs it.

Believe it!

NinjaEdit: Here we go (from that thread):

Some things you are better off not knowing. I lived my life by Yugi's words and now I learn he is just a dirty cheater. What a fraud.

---

Dragon's Dogma is a hell of a game, just entered postgame content and it is just so much fun.

Finished the Stratis part of the ArmA3 campaign. Pretty great stuff and I haven't seen or done much yet. Night-time ops were my highlight. It's so fun to sneak on an enemy camp to clear buildings. Gotta give a shoutout to audio department. Shots inside buildings have a really nice omph to them.

FXAA is truly better than SMAA. Now it looks easier on the eyes.
Other than that mortar shells I called in have a surprisingly puny visual feedback, hah.

17 hours in and only now is the game open up slowly, giving me reigns over a squad and letting me loose on a huge sandbox. Solve your problems however you see fit!
Heh, all in due time.

Grief.exe

It's happening

Last week, Spike Chunsoft announced it would be self-publishing Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc on Steam. Now, we have confirmation that the developer has further plans. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair will follow its predecessor onto Steam.

As for other games, Spike Chunsoft isn&#8217;t yet ready to divulge plans for future Steam releases. However, the company has confirmed that the Danganronpa series is only the start, and it does have other plans.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/01/18/danganronpa-danganronpa-2-pc-ports-beginning-spike-chunsoft/

Grief.exe

I made the thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1172525

It's happening

Last week, Spike Chunsoft announced it would be self-publishing Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc on Steam. Now, we have confirmation that the developer has further plans. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair will follow its predecessor onto Steam.

As for other games, Spike Chunsoft isn&#8217;t yet ready to divulge plans for future Steam releases. However, the company has confirmed that the Danganronpa series is only the start, and it does have other plans.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/01/18/danganronpa-danganronpa-2-pc-ports-beginning-spike-chunsoft/

Jawmuncher

Ugh, I'd rather not have that game on steam than the iOS version honestly. What a disgrace to a fantastic game.

It's better then nothing. But on PC I don't think it would be an issue though. The puzzles were cut from iOS more because level navigation just didn't work right.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
999 is really good, seems like an obvious port since it got an iOS version and everything

I had heard, in person, from multiple independent sources associated with different publishers, separately in 2014 and 2015, that the intention for Zero Escape 3 was to include a PC version and that at the time they were also trying to get the old versions ported. I was very surprised to see that the final announcement did not include one. Not sure if something fell through at a late stage or they simply wanted to hold the announcement until later and no one I talked to at the time was in a position to be involved in the announcement later so I can't get any clarification.

Jawmuncher

I had heard, in person, from multiple independent sources associated with different publishers, separately in 2014 and 2015, that the intention for Zero Escape 3 was to include a PC version and that at the time they were also trying to get the old versions ported. I was very surprised to see that the final announcement did not include one. Not sure if something fell through at a late stage or they simply wanted to hold the announcement until later and no one I talked to at the time was in a position to be involved in the announcement later so I can't get any clarification.

Wouldn't be surprised if it just got pushed back. Not like it's a surprise for PC at this point. Let it come out first on 3DS and Vita. PC can have it soon enough, and if it's good and priced fair it'll still sell.

Grief.exe

I was wondering why they didn't announce a PC version for Zero Escape 3.

Eila

I'm a dirty port begger, just put the Zero Escape and complete Danganronpa series on Steam and I will support it

Well, that's what that announcement implies to me. What else do they have?
I'm thinking Danganropa 1 and 2 as well as 999 iOS and VLR for this year. Would be a nice surprise if the newest games in the series are a simultaneous release, but I'm not expecting it.

Annubis

Im the guy who thought the puzzles held up the game. Yes EVEN for the one at the end everyone loves.

While I agree with the sentiment, there is so much (technically optional) character development while inside the puzzles that I just don't see how you could enjoy the character as much without those.

Jawmuncher

While I agree with the sentiment, there is so much (technically optional) character development while inside the puzzles that I just don't see how you could enjoy the character as much without those.

I won't disagree with that. Since that was about the main benefit to it.

Soulflarz

Banned

My source never said PC, but did leak ZE3 to me awhile in advance. Should we uhm, double check?

Soulflarz

Banned
The rumor of a Dino Crisis reboot was never debunked. Aside from myself piecing a maybe possibility that it was a mistake.

To be fair anyone who knows any serious leaks about DC wouldn't be talking, probably. I can confirm I know nothing about DC. I only played the first a few months ago so zzz.

Hi everyone who knew Nier 2 early- that didn't get out at all from what I could tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom