• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least post reasons for your GOTY lists so we can have conversation about it. Or else it's almost as useless as my Best Girl 2015 list.
Well, I booted Her Story off for Ori and the Blind Forest, because its art and music pleases me, its "level design+mechanics" combo makes the game both challenging and fun (for the most part). Despite one questionable design choice, I think it deserves to be on my list.

Ori is also infinitely more replayable than Her Story, I would definitely pick up the definitive edition in the near future and play through it again.

Soulflarz

Banned
Because I've only had a gaming PC for likee half a year (wow, been that long already? Wasted my money on a 980 instead of a 970, as you all said!) I'm not making a list because I honestly don't think I've played more than 5 notable games

Can I just give top points to rocket league and that's it?

(5 Points) Rocket League

or do I need something else.

Arthea

Because I've only had a gaming PC for likee half a year (wow, been that long already? Wasted my money on a 980 instead of a 970, as you all said!) I'm not making a list because I honestly don't think I've played more than 5 notable games

Can I just give top points to rocket league and that's it?

yea, our rules allow it

Resonance intensifies (?)
I wish
classic most likely means something much much older

Soulflarz

Banned
yea, our rules allow it

perfect, because honestly, I have like 60hr on ps4 or so probably and I have over 100 on PC, I don't think I've found a game that I stick with after beating it in years, and here we are.

Minus, of course, smash brothers. And to be honest, a lot of that had to do with my friend dragging me back in, then he dropped it, then I dragged him back in, and here we are still.

Ruruja

perfect, because honestly, I have like 60hr on ps4 or so probably and I have over 100 on PC, I don't think I've found a game that I stick with after beating it in years, and here we are.

It's completely replaced FIFA for me and my friends. No small feat.

Dr Dogg

I really can't make my mind up for my GOTY list. Shackles can I score everything equal first at 3 points a piece?

Pre-emptively I imagine the answer is no. Though regardless I might be a little bit late to get a PM to you as after a wild impulse I've ended up in Bath. That's the city not the water recptical (and it's a long story anyway).

AHA-Lambda

My (edited) GOTY list

(5 points) Life is Strange
(4 points) Witcher 3
(3 points) MGS V
(2 points) Contradiction
(1 point) Beginner's Guide

We think it might be up by the time the store updates mainly because of this
https://steamdb.info/search/?a=app&q=sega

SEGA Classics redirect to store page and seems set to replace the Genesis/MD collections.
If they were releasing a new classic it COULD be Monster World 4.
OK, less than an hour left to see the big reveal then.
I was for something else than MW4 but if I'm honest, a bigger, hyped game PC people were yearning for ala Persona/SMT/Yakuza would be hyped much more than this short-notice one. So I guess you could be right.

Arthea

I really can't make my mind up for my GOTY list. Shackles can I score everything equal first at 3 points a piece?

Pre-emptively I imagine the answer is no. Though regardless I might be a little bit late to get a PM to you as after a wild impulse I've ended up in Bath. That's the city not the water recptical (and it's a long story anyway).

just post it, I'll do it for you and I'll be fair as usual

Soulflarz

Banned
It's completely replaced FIFA for me and my friends. No small feat.

I find it amusing because people say RL is like soccer but once you get to high level the easy answer is "it's like pool. Soccer? Are you crazy?" The ruleset is similar and such but the way it's played is completely different.

4GB VRAM is worth it IMO.

Honestly that was my main reason. My dad said he'd buy me a $500ish part for my grad present, or the equivilant, so I went with a $550 card, acknowledging I'm not working and I probably wont be able to upgrade this thing for quite awhile, so might as well future proof my machine for an extra bit.

Uzzy

Vote Bloodbowl 2, so when it's not in the top ten you can say 'Bloodbowl was robbed'

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

It's gotta be ranked, sorry. Also, you're sounding a lot like Salsa with that last sentence.

Ruruja

I find it amusing because people say RL is like soccer but once you get to high level the easy answer is "it's like pool. Soccer? Are you crazy?" The ruleset is similar and such but the way it's played is completely different.

They both have infuriating multiplayer in common though. :p

Vlad

i thought that too until I encountered a bug that stops my mouse from moving over the bottom part of the screen. I can't even start a new game, like, at all :(

and no controller support is a travesty in a game about building and driving vehicles

Well, I don't really care about controller support, but yeah, that bug sounds like it sucks.

As tempting as the game looks at this point, I think I'll wait to see if it looks like it's going to be getting decent support in the long run. If the updates come at a decent clip, then I might just have to dive in.

bloke

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Tex Murphy Complete Pack -- MB-B453CC7FC1996B99 - Taken by Kifimbo
MISSING: An Interactive Thriller - Episode One -- MB-91790C6E077DB5C5 - Taken by Kurt Russell
7th Guest Plus 11th Hour Pack -- MB-804059BDF1192FA3 - Taken by UnderWaterTree
Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure -- MB-532E9316CFB48B35 - Taken by PenDynasty

Arthea

Vote Bloodbowl 2, so when it's not in the top ten you can say 'Bloodbowl was robbed'

*groans*

letitgo.gif

on more serious note, there were some fine lists posted in this thread, but if Huniepop ends up in our top 10, we'll have some serious work to do in the future.

edited:
on steamgaf attitude problem, I mean
We might even need to end up making that legendary puzzle OT, impossible amount of work or no

Uzzy

I should post my vote:

Yeah I went for MGSV, what of it.

Perfectly respectable list, and I do agree that MGSV's gameplay is absolutely fantastic. Best in class. Runs great on PC, and I even enjoyed the story, at least what we got.

Well, I booted Her Story off for Ori and the Blind Forest, because its art and music pleases me, its "level design+mechanics" combo makes the game both challenging and fun (for the most part). Despite one questionable design choice, I think it deserves to be on my list.

Ori is also infinitely more replayable than Her Story, I would definitely pick up the definitive edition in the near future and play through it again.

I should play Ori at some point. Looks gorgeous, but I've heard that it's surprisingly difficult? Should I just wait for the definitive edition?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm really enjoying compiling the list for our GOTY. As someone who is fascinated with statistical analysis, I often find myself completely enthralled by "running the numbers" on things like this.

Arthea

I'm really enjoying compiling the list for our GOTY. As someone who is fascinated with statistical analysis, I often find myself completely enthralled by "running the numbers" on things like this.

I can relate, I like statistics myself while the rest of steamgaf seems to hate it.
Although, I admit I'm too lazy for that kind of work you are doing, so thanks for doing it.

Wanna know the best game that will undoubtedly be robbed?

you tell them Se7en!

Messiah

Wanna know the best game that will undoubtedly be robbed?

image.php

You're already
robbed

Tizoc

OK, less than an hour left to see the big reveal then.
I was for something else than MW4 but if I'm honest, a bigger, hyped game PC people were yearning for ala Persona/SMT/Yakuza would be hyped much more than this short-notice one. So I guess you could be right.

Well the year is just getting started ;)

But not enough.
There is not such thing as 'not enough dinosaurs'; there are only dinosaurs.

I hope the Genesis/Mega Drive games won't be taken down.

wELL the link I posted to for the app seems to show them likely being rebranded of sorts, I don't think it'd be taken down.

Dr Dogg

It's gotta be ranked, sorry. Also, you're sounding a lot like Salsa with that last sentence.

Sure while I understand that'll probably be a right pain for you to sort out in all honesty I can't seperate my selection to the scale relative interms to my enjoyment of each title. Like I don't feel my top pick would be worthy of a 'score' 5 times that of my fifth. Really my top three are so bloody close together, some for completely different reasons, that they're in a different class from the other two I whittled down the rest of 2015's games from.

Though I've got some whacky idea where I can send you a ballot in fitting with the rules and still keep a semblance of my thinking intact.

I've not been drinking I swear.

Nzyme32

Steam GOTY submitted. Apologies for the slow entry

I decided to go original and instead of girls to do 5 best puzzle games of 2015
(and Estelle is the best anyway, that's obvious)

1. Paint it Back
2. Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey
3. Unium
4. Quell
5. SquareCells

Great list. I'm loving a lot of the puzzle games lately. Particularly had fun with Paint it Back, Squarecells and Hexcells. Wishlisted the others.

yuraya

I think next year SteamGAF GOTY vote should extend to Battle.net and Origin as well. Its just gonna be messed up to leave out games like Overwatch and Mass Effect.

I know its not a popular opinion but I think the exception should be made since those platforms don't have that many exclusive games. A few outside games per year wouldn't really upset the balance that much imo.

Beat RE0. Wesker mode seem like it could be fun, but I'm not sure if I want to replay it. I can replay a modern RE game immediately after having beat it, even multiple times, but I usually can't muster the strenght to do that with classic RE games. Especially with this one.

Parsnip

My votes were:

(5 Points) - Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt
(4 Points) - Assassins' Creed Syndicate
(3 Points) - Axiom Verge
(2 Points) - Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
(1 Point) - Life is Strange

There are couple of 2015 games I wish I would have found the time to play because I'm fairly certain they would have made the list, but what can you do.

AHA-Lambda

I think next year SteamGAF GOTY vote should extend to Battle.net and Origin as well. Its just gonna be messed up to leave out games like Overwatch and Mass Effect.

I know its not a popular opinion but I think the exception should be made since those platforms don't have that many exclusive games. A few outside games per year wouldn't really upset the balance that much imo.

I think this is a fair point, this is practically the PC community thread as it is anyway

MUnited83

For you.
(5 Points) - Underrail
(4 Points) - Rocket League
(3 Points) -Tales from the Borderlands
(2 Points) - Pillars of Eternity
(1 Point) - Cities: Skylines

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
SteamGAF goty votes sent. There were a couple games I wish I could've played, but oh well.

btw I visited Dontnod in Paris today for the boxed release of LiS. I got the OST on vinyl, which was pretty cool

Dr Dogg

I'll be properly sad about its unfortunate release date and me not playing it in time for goty if it's as good as you and Durante say.
Does it make you feel better?

When I get home (eventually) I'll probaly post my long winded and glorified GOTY selections, rejections and oddities with the blurbs I've wrote for some of them. Made some pretty banners too (that may or may not work depending on which theme you use on GAF).

Eh, but Veronica is already remastred, like RE4 was (the new version is on PSN).
In fact I thought Capcom would port it when they ported RE4 on PC, since they released on PSN in the same window, pretty much.

I think they used the xbox360 version as a basis but then supposedly did a lot of work on it making it "HD" for the "definitive" release of the game.

My guess is they didn't think there was a large enough market to sell the game to on PC for the effort involved, which is why Capcom seems to do a lot of things.

Not really, they'll probably make a remaster eventually like they've done with RE and RE0.
Believe

That'd take resources, which Capcom seems to be very stingy with.
Who knows what they're doing...

Arthea

(5 Points) - Underrail

well... I didn't expect that to be sure, I was sure Rocket League will be your 5 point game

yours and Salsa's

When I get home (eventually) I'll probaly post my long winded and glorified GOTY selections, rejections and oddities with the blurbs I've wrote for some of them. Made some pretty banners too (that may or may not work depending on which theme you use on GAF).

please, do post

jshackles

btw I visited Dontnod in Paris today for the boxed release of LiS. I got the OST on vinyl, which was pretty cool

so jealous

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
my votes

(5 Points) - Mushihimesama
(4 Points) - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
(3 Points) - Kerbal Space Program
(2 Points) - Cities: Skylines
(1 Point) - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

I have the feeling everybody forgot about Kerbal :p

Status
Not open for further replies.