• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catshade

I'm having a weird problem with my steam client. It refuses to login, says it's having trouble connecting to steam servers. My internet works fine. I can logout and login to my account on the steam website, it's just the client that's not working. Using windows 10.

Stuff I've tried:
Reinstalled steam, deleted all the stuff in steam folder except steamapps.
Checked my HOSTS file.
Restarted router a few times, put my local ip in dmz and power cycled everything.
Disabled windows firewall.
Ran malwarebytes.
Updated dd-wrt firmware.
Went into steam offline mode and removed steam beta. It updated to stable version, still doesn't connect.

Steam app works on my phone and Origin works. My friends on the same ISP aren't having any issues. Anyone had a similar problem with the client before?

Have you tried changing the compatibility settings?

Hektor

6th highest reviewed game on all of steam

#1 Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
#2 Portal 2
#3 Battleblock Theatre
#4 Portal
#5 Mark of the Ninja
#6 One Finger Death Punch

Battleblock Theatre?
eLw7m.gif

Just finished The Talos Principle. What a beautiful, thoughtful game, from Croteam of all devs.

My reaction when "a philosophical puzzle game from the developers of serious sam" was announced was one of utter confusion. But they really delivered. One of the best puzzle games there is.

The MKX PC thread sure got interesting.

A PC thread turning to shit? Colour me surprised.

Dr Dogg

BTW, just noticed we dropped to the 5th place again in mgs global ranks, and a gap between us and achievement hunters is getting bigger. It could be related to mgs not updating stats again, as it seems mine are more than month old now, that's one annoying bug.

http://www.metagamerscore.com/most_score_crew

Looks like Achievement Hunters recently got +9074705 additional score. Although without that they'd still be above us, just a lot closer. And I've been playing games too!

Edit: Looks like my Steam account hasn't been checked in over a month. Granted not 9mil points but ever little counts.

6th highest reviewed game on all of steam

#1 Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
#2 Portal 2
#3 Battleblock Theatre
#4 Portal
#5 Mark of the Ninja
#6 One Finger Death Punch

Time to go fix this thing and go give an Mark Of The Ninja a negative review, I hated that one with passion.

It's time to use the secret weapon. SAM!
Also got the same problem as you with the achievements not being updated

Did you try going to the "games" tab under your profile and asking the site to sync? I have to do that if I want to get my progress synced there, it's annoying but it works for me.

Wok

I should have bought the DLC for Talos Principle when it was on sale for 5 € during the Winter sales. The normal price of 15 € is a bit steep for a DLC.

Knurek

how could you hate it? If anything it has almost perfect, snappy controls, you can't hate at least that!

How can you say a 2D game that uses Stick and not D-Pad for character movement has snappy controls?

That's like, the opposite of snappy.

Arthea

How can you say a 2D game that uses Stick and not D-Pad for character movement has snappy controls?

I use mouse and kb, kinda tired of repeating that. Why do you play everything with a controller? that makes no sense!

It's time to use the secret weapon. SAM!
Also got the same problem as you with the achievements not being updated

no you didn't! just said that word! how could you?

just do manual steam scan, as stats not updated seems to be only steam yet again, very selective bug, I must say.

edited: you guys should have voted for essential RPGs, now not only Arcanum not even in top 70! blasphemy, but Suikoden 2 only 27, Trails 54th and M&M6 69th...

Tizoc

You can edit that tho can't you? I mean the game is more than a year old there'd be anfan fix or mod at least

Knurek

You can edit that tho can't you? I mean the game is more than a year old there'd be anfan fix or mod at least

Not directly in game
(I have a special profile set for the game in DS4Windows though)

I use mouse and kb, kinda tired of repeating that. Why do you play everything with a controller? that makes no sense!

Everything is better with a controller.
RPGs? Check.
Strategy games? Check.
Puzzle games? Check.
VNs? Check.

Arthea

Not directly in game
(I have a special profile set for the game in DS4Windows though)

RPGs? Check.
Strategy games? Check.
Puzzle games? Check.
VNs? Check.
lies! everything you named has to be played with kb/mouse, unless you like suffering. Some RPGs and some Puzzle games (3D actiony ones) might be better with controller if made for using a controller but strategy games and VNs?! You are trolling, aren't you?

Deques

RPGs? Check.
Strategy games? Check.
Puzzle games? Check.
VNs? Check.

RPG, yes but not to all of them
Strategy games, what?
Puzzle games, depends on what kind of puzzle games
VNs, just press A to proceed

no you didn't! just said that word! how could you?

For once I want to be controversial :D
It doesn't mean I actually used SAM

Dr Dogg

Speaking of custom controller configs, does anyone have a good set of bindings for XCOM on a Steam Controller using KB&M as a base? Community ones are a bit shit.

Deques

Mighty no. 9 delayed for the third time

To the fans eagerly awaiting the release of Mighty No. 9,

Unfortunately, we have an announcement that will be very disappointing to all of you. In preparation for the February release of Mighty No. 9 we have been working hard with our partners to resolve any network issues and porting work necessary to publish Mighty No. 9 on the various platforms. However, the issues relating to the network modes were more critical than expected, and it has become apparent that we will need to delay the game from its February 9th release date. We have been working up until the very last moment to resolve these issues in order to make the February release, but it has become clear that we no longer have enough time to fix the issues and have everything prepared for release.

The reason for the delay is rooted in bugs inside the network modes, and specifically problems with matchmaking. There are two large reasons for this problem, one of them being the large number of platforms supported (the solution for each platform is slightly different) and the other stems from the fact that the engine we are using is no longer being updated which means adjustments for matchmaking and online code are being made manually (actually reprogramming parts of the engine by the dev team themselves). Unfortunately, this is all a result of miscalculations on the part of us, the development staff. As a result, our fans who have been looking forward to Mighty No. 9 have been forced to wait for over half a year longer than expected, and for that we are sincerely sorry. I want to take this chance to apologize personally, and on the behalf of the development staff.

Over the end of the year break and the beginning of 2016, the development staff has been working on these issues non-stop without break, and thanks to their hard work the end is in sight. We continue to make progress to resolve these last issues that have been holding up the release of the game on the different platforms.

Because we are constantly working on it in cooperation with all our partners, we want to wait and make sure that everything is confirmed to be ready before giving a new specific release date. But we expect it to realistically be in Spring 2016.

For this 3rd delay of the game, we have no excuses for disappointing our fans and especially our backers once more. We want to take this chance to express our sincerest apologies to everyone who has looked forward to the release.

Although we are far past our original release date, the release of Mighty No. 9 is still right around the corner. We are all working hard to make sure that we can finish and release the game to all of our fans as quickly as possible, and ask once more for your support of this project that we have created together over these last few years.

Keiji Inafune

Knurek

lies! everything you named has to be played with kb/mouse, unless you like suffering. Some RPGs and some Puzzle games (3D actiony ones) might be better with controller if made for using a controller but strategy games and VNs?! You are trolling, aren't you?

VNs are amazing with a gamepad. Just use Joy2Key or whatever and set triggers to 'A' and face/d-pad to 'Enter'. Pure gaming nirvana.

The strategy games I play (Shining Forces, Tactics, Fire Emblems, etc) are made with controller in mind. And as such, play better with a gamepad. Simple as that.

why would you use a controller in XCOM of all games?
*flabbergasted*

X-COM was made with kb+m in mind. I wouldn't dream of playing it with a gamepad.
XCOM was made with controller in mind. It simply plays better with a gamepad.

Simple as that.

<3 <3 <3

Arthea

Speaking of custom controller configs, does anyone have a good set of bindings for XCOM on a Steam Controller using KB&M as a base? Community ones are a bit shit.

*flabbergasted*

OK, I rest my case, you guys are hopeless!

Controller for Japanese games and Platformers only.

Everything else M/KB 4LYFE.

I'm moved, not all reason is lost yet!

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Controller for Japanese games and Platformers only.

Everything else M/KB 4LYFE.

racing games and third person action games (like GTA, just Cause, dark souls...) are way better with a controller imo...

But i prefer playing with a controller anyway as long it makes sense for the game, so maybe I'm part of the problem :p

And of course Flightsticks plus throttle controller for stuff like Elite, thats half the fun in those kind of games

And Shmups must be played with an Arcade Stick, it is known!

*flabbergasted*

OK, I rest my case, you guys are hopeless!

XCOM is fantastic with a controller, assuming of course that Dr Dogg is referring to the 2012 version (I don't think I'd want to try to play the older (isometric) games with a controller). I pretty much only used a 360 controller when I played that, and hope that XCOM 2 will have controller support at least as good.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Strategy games? Check.
fistbumpl7kt1.gif

Hello there fellow gamepad loving PC gamer.

I strongly disagree that every strategy game would be better with a controller. However, and I feel a bit strange saying this, i'm currently playing Xcom Enemy Within using one and I love it.
I do prefer using a controller in every first-person game ever. Mostly everything really. RPG's are the exception.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I actually play some racers with kb, but I know it's all kinds of strange, I just like responsiveness, even if it's very inconvenient, playing this way I mean.

I never could do that, I need my analog controls for racing... but why not if it works for you :)

Ozium

This is my last chance to pick up Binary Domain at the current discount, isn't it?
My next opportunity would be the next summer sale, I guess.
But I'm still waiting for FF IX. Decisions.

shit will be in a humble sega bundle in a month

speaking of humble bundle is xcom enemy within a good expansion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom