• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Because of it, my most anticipated game right now is the enhanced rerelease of Read Only Memories coming out in a few days. I hadn't even really heard about ROM and only bought it randomly during the holidays sale because it looked kinda cool and somehow found its way onto my wishlist (probably while doing the discovery queue from a previous sale). But when I found out it's actually set in the same world as VA-11 Hall-A, I got super hyped for it.

Your post reads like a Humble Monthly Story. We could find similar posts about most hidden gems found in humble monthly bundles, and this is the reason why I'm superscribed* to the monthly bundle.

* lapsus for subscribed

Edit: Actually, it is not created by the same studio. They are just easter eggs.

Played through Superhot and Pony Island in the last week. Both fun games. Enjoyed Pony Island a lot more though. Superhot feels like a proof of concept because the developers never evolved the one core mechanic it has.

Ascheroth

Oh man, Killer is Dead is terrible. Not going to bother with that longer.

Going to start Ys Origin next. The achievements tell me something about different characters. Do I have to play the game multiple times to get the whole thing? If yes than how long does one individually playthrough take?

There are multiple playable characters with their own distinct playstyle, which alone makes a huge difference.
The underlying story stays mostly the same, but events play out differently, the order of some bosses changes, and there are some unique bosses for each character as well.
One playthrough should be in the 8-10 hour range, I guess.
You should definitely play through it once with each character.

I think it's basically the same with different characters. At least I didn't feel like I missed anything after my first playthrough. I never finished with the guy because he's an obnoxious little shit.

Btw, don't pick the guy.

You've missed more than half of the game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Amzin

60 FPS patch was a massive undertaking by the developers, likely required just as much resources as traditional DLC and added just as much value to the game.

Earns a spot in my list.

HLD is my game of the year so I'm all for any praise it gets, but that definitely doesn't count as DLC :p At that point everyone just determines themselves what patches do and don't count which is silly because that's a bunch of 1-shots for jshack to filter out.

I know it's not a Steam game, but finally finished SMT IV: Apocalypse. One of the routes, anyway. The power-of-friendship ending. It's rare to see an SMT ending that optimistic. I might another route a go if for no other reason than to fill out my Demon Compendium. (But why oh why do they have SO MANY accident-only fusions, and no means to improve the odds of an accident, when they're so rare? Dang!)

Now, back to PC games! ...I guess. :)

FLD

Your post reads like a Humble Monthly Story. We could find similar posts about most hidden gems found in humble monthly bundles, and this is the reason why I'm superscribed* to the monthly bundle.

* lapsus for subscribed

Edit: Actually, it is not created by the same studio. They are just easter eggs.

Yeah, they're different games (as in different genres) made by different teams. I'm not sure how the shared world thing came to be but all the crossover is limited to easter eggs and character cameos. I was already interested in ROM either way, the VA-11 Hall-A connection just made me more excited to play it. :p

Grief.exe

HLD is my game of the year so I'm all for any praise it gets, but that definitely doesn't count as DLC :p At that point everyone just determines themselves what patches do and don't count which is silly because that's a bunch of 1-shots for jshack to filter out.

Get your hands out of my cookie jar.

I hated DEADBOLT at first, but I'm starting to like it now.

The whole hit & run style of the game where you ambush a couple of enemies, empty your shotgun in their faces, then jump in a toilet, to reappear at the other end of the level is kinda cool. But I still think it sucks you can't play it with a controller (not sure how I'm supposed to test the controller beta BMP thing (I have a xbox 360 gamepad)? Going into big picture mode did nothing.).

She's/He's right. If a game received an update with something I think is super awesome, either game content or techincal stuff like increased resolution, should that update be eligible for goty vote?

Hm, maybe I should've voted for that major Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics Hub update that came out last year. Not only did it completely revamp the front-end, it introduced official support for ROM Hacks via Steam Workshop. It was nice to see a company give a nod to fan projects for classic games.

Vibranium

Banned
EA has sure made good use of that Star Wars license so far.

I really, really hope Disney open it up to other studios after that damn contract is done (I believe there is almost 6 years left on it?). Star Wars should have a steady flow of games in different genres. And then we can get some new titles other than Lego on Steam.

Nabs

87lPzvN.png

I didn't play a ton of new games this year. I've been playing more classics, and a larger variety of games in general. I'm also not buying as many indie games as before, mainly because of price and bundles.

*If EA wasn't such a fuckhead*, Titanfall 2 would be in my top 2. SP is so, so good.

(5 Points) DOOM - It's that hotness. I love a pure uncut raw shooter, and they delivered piles of it.
(4 Points) Xanadu Next - Falcom at their best. An Ys style ARPG that will make you lose track of time.
(3 Points) Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight - An action platformer where you explore and fight things. Ticking all of my boxes in the process.
(2 Points) Dark Souls 3 - You already know.
(1 Point) Stardew Valley - Wait, it's dark outside? Huh. I haven't even approached the surface.

One thing I noticed about my list is that all of these games are perfect with the Steam Controller. I wonder if that's just by chance.

Games I from 2016 I want to buy/play:

1) Salt and Sanctuary
2) Hyper Light Drifter
3) Furi
4) Necropolis
5) VA-11

"Older" games I enjoyed in 2016:

- Vampire: TM-B
- Wolfenstein: The New Order
- GTAV
- RtCW
- Shogo

vermadas

GOTY:
(5 Points) - Dark Souls 3
(4 Points) - Hyper Light Drifter
(3 Points) - Inside
(2 Points) - SuperHOT
(1 Point) - Redout

DLC:
If I played the Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3, or Rocket League DLC they would probably go here. But I've played none of them...

EA:
There are a few EA VR games I still need to play, but nothing here either

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Kurt Russell, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kurt Russell, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Killing Floor -- MB-85120DE358386ED7 - Taken by OmarYusaf. 1 entrants total.
Mortal Kombat X Premium Edition -- MB-980033250573AA48 - Taken by yoshizzle. 46 entrants total.

t1484432612z1.png

ModBot 2

Not a Mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Kurt Russell, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kurt Russell, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Killing Floor was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Mortal Kombat X Premium Edition was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1484432613z1.png

GOTY:

(5 Points) - Stardew Valley
(4 Points) - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
(3 Points) - The Division
(2 Points) - Hyper Light Drifter
(1 Point) - Dishonored 2

Stardew Valley should win because it's a love letter from one person to a very specific genre of games. Every piece of the game has that shimmer things get when they've received a hands-on once over. It glows with inclusivity and optimism but never leaves behind biting jabs or moments of depression. Big picture global issues get turns here, scaled down to the game's world, without being fed to you by the dev's spoon. All pretty impressive for a game about your grandfather's stupid fucking farm.

---

There are games on people's lists that I haven't played. I mean, I haven't even started Dark Souls 3 and I'm a big fan of the series and its tangential games. I'm sure it would have made the list.

Expanding outside of Steam makes it a no brainer to pick a GOTY: Overmotherfuckingwatch.

This is mine:

(5 Points) - Enter The Gungeon
(4 Points) - Owlboy
(3 Points) - Pony Island
(2 Points) - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
(1 Point) - Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

I'm thinking of swapping Momodora for Stardew Valley. Momodora has a lot of flaws and I'm not sure I'd count it as one of my favorite metroidvanias (axiom verge, cave story and guacamelee are way better imho).

Anteater

you gotta strategically vote them games

durante gonna vote for all all those VR games only chairmanchuck would know, so those won't win

Ascheroth

Speaking about bundles, any guesses what games could get added to the Humble BTA?
I just hope it's something good that I don't own, the current BTA is kinda lackluster (but gets offset but the great 10$ tier).

xezuru

GOTY:
(5 Points) - Dishonored 2
(4 Points) - Evolve Stage 2
(3 Points) - The Banner Saga 2
(2 Points) - Furi
(1 Point) - Hyper Light Drifter

I love Dishonored and it's one of the only games with enough great tools to feel like you can do fuckin anything, I feel like the first game was better mostly due to story and consistent level design
(things like way better verticality across levels and switch-ups like Boyle estate)
but Dishonored 2 has some phenomenal scenario/concepts and is still a fucking thrilling game.

Evolve Stage 2, in what little time it had, gave me the most out of a multiplayer I've gotten in a long fuckin time. In terms of if you put the time in you feel the game giving back. I understand the criticisms because it does take a lot, but people berating the concept was utterly depressing. What I expected was L4D, what I got was an entire fps shooter match consisting of RAID BOSS MECHANICS THE GAME. There's nothing more I love than REAL player agency, meaning every single person has actual jobs you uphold instead of just wailing bullets arround, every single person maintains consistency as there's no Ultimates or anything to bail you out just pure darksoulsish consistency in gameplay to survive, and so much movement and freedom that you can actually play and have a distinct gameplay style. All that mixed in with fantastic jetpack usage and verticality that makes the high risk air juke gameplay I love so much better. That said, it is unfortunate that the launch didn't turn out as expected, they really should've waited to the equivalent of like a month after they originally planned to do so, things missing such as TUTORIALS, FUNCTIONING SHOP, and FUNCTIONING MATCHMAKING were borked upon the first couple patches and the loss of the initial interest mixed with ZERO way to obtain helpful information for people who even wanted to try to stick with the game was too much. Best of wishes to TRS next endeavors.

Speaking about bundles, any guesses what games could get added to the Humble BTA?
I just hope it's something good that I don't own, the current BTA is kinda lackluster (but gets offset but the great 10$ tier).

Well it's never a big addition. So expect nothing, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Hektor

Resident Evil 7 is the first true™ resident evil game since three, as opposed to all the fake™ casual™ action™ resident evils that came after.

Wok

Using Depressurizer, I can filter my own library, and this is what could be added from there:

Likely added:
  • Crawl
  • Mini Metro
  • Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

Possibly added, yet it would be surprising due to the previous prices during sales:
  • Besiege
  • Broforce
  • Infinifactory
  • Nuclear Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom