• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coreda

What about game interrupting cutscenes in the middle of action with "to be continued"?

I see, you meant the two chapters rather than the mission title credits. The film-like interludes didn't bother me but given the story wasn't fully completed it felt mostly lacking by the end. The shining lights mission and Paz encounter were the only highlights, story-wise from the second-half.

yuraya

Frankly the episodic format makes zero fucking sense to me.

MGSV faced the same challenge MGS4 faced. In that the story takes place over a long period of time. Unlike 1,2 and 3 which are like one night events type of deal. MGSV takes place across months and years of time. MGS4 took place across days and weeks which forced Kojima to do those long chapter plane prologue cutscenes. Episodic made sense for MGSV. There wasn't anything else he could have done to keep the pace realistic imo. The structure of the game would have fallen apart otherwise.

derFeef

Derfeef has been following the game for the past months. I do t think he got a pre release code but his interest in it got me to get it when it releases

Gonna play it after i beat dark sector tho ^^;

Yo I will check it out for sure when it releases.

yuraya

I kinda wonder how Kojima will pace and design Death Stranding. Its an open world game with alternate dimensions and shit. Its gonna be crazy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
forget not playing games you don't enjoy

what about games you played but forget finishing halfway through :D

You need World of Final Fantasy to come to steam.
isn't that more of a gacha game?

We need the second coming of Monster Rancher. I love those games so.
fuck yeah

even without the disc gimmick, the way how you raise monsters and the stuff you do are really great

it's so strange the franchise just... vanished

Nothing worth spending time on in Steam, but GOG has Creatures Exodus for something worth looking at.

Ah I have heard of creatures back then but never played it

Coreda

I like GOG's keyboard left/right arrow hotkeys and touchscreen-like swipe for media thumbnail navigation on store pages. Steam needs to catch up.

Groupees have some sort of mysterious bundle dropping soon, 1 day 7 hours or so. Initially it contained 1 other but that was a placeholder. Is it shit? Maybe, might be good also. Groupees quality has been poor lately though.

It's a really weird feeling to discover a game that you've been thinking about buying for months has been in your game library the whole time.

Like, I own Victor Vran on GOG and have absolutely no recollection of how this came to pass.

Pixieking

Banned
At some point during the recent past, the bottom dropped out of the bundle market. There's still a good non-Humble bundle here or there, but it seems like most devs got wise to not bundling their games... Especially with how Greenlight has mostly come-and-gone.

At some point during the recent past, the bottom dropped out of the bundle market. There's still a good non-Humble bundle here or there, but it seems like most devs got wise to not bundling their games... Especially with how Greenlight has mostly come-and-gone.

Most games ouTside of AAA still get bundled at some point it's just sales volumes outside of Humble have dropped dramatically. Indiegala do the majority of their sales during happy hour for pennies, Groupees probably hasn't passed 4k in a year, Bundlestars hasn't done anything interesting in ages and the rest are pretty hopeless.

Most devs/pubs are waiting for Humble senpai to notice them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Grouppes is 100% shit now days.

The Greenlight bundles are still worthwhile on the count of them being Greenlight bundles, but they seem to be less frequent these days.

Speaking of bundles, some spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 14 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Garden Rescue -- MB-A0C850EBD8BC0C75 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Glow -- MB-2E4F6C6CC341BC3F - Taken by Diedac
Indie Gala Hump Day #33 -- MB-9A5369A6A7FE0A02 - Taken by Kifimbo
Infinitum -- MB-C1E6BE487FCD1A65 - Taken by darkchewie
Nightmare -- MB-5D64F2D578B60D21 - Taken by Vuze
Odysseus: Long Way Home -- MB-C523F1EC04C92480 - Taken by rainking187
Onikira: Demon Killer -- MB-DC8A10F2F9F7F118 - Taken by Sajko
Pro Skater 2D -- MB-031BFF4D7F6C885A - Taken by bobnowhere
The Haunting of Billy -- MB-165EA660169A72A0 - Taken by SSPssp
The Land of Dasthir -- MB-A77DCB24524011BB - Taken by Loptous
The Life of Greather -- MB-6E739F0056401594 - Taken by Hakkelus
The Odyssey #1 -- MB-F84B98583EC7D99C - Taken by Eila
The Odyssey #2 -- MB-50F702B69EB90F37 - Taken by voodooray
Vapour -- MB-2F66440DA9A7B8CA - Taken by Purkake4

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What about game interrupting cutscenes in the middle of action with "to be continued"?

Kojima wanted it to be like a TV series is all. I guess he had (obviously) bigger plans in regards to how that would play out than how the game had same-o missions. I guess he was going to do more variety and those "to be continued" missions were going to change things up like
extracting Code Talker
's mission.

Kaleinc

Banned
Best protection got fired
fxVwEwD.gif

madjoki

For now, I'd assume it's more likely bad implementation with RE7 than break affecting all games.

I guess it's still 5 days more than other games, so it's still a win.

What's next big Denuvo game?

The Greenlight bundles are still worthwhile on the count of them being Greenlight bundles, but they seem to be less frequent these days.

Yeah, depends on what exactly are you looking for too.

The game is poised to get 250K by tomorrow. Curious if the crack will slow sales. I don't think piracy is as big an issue on pc as it once was.

It isn't anymore more various reasons:
-20 to 80GB downloads.
-Steam makes everything more convenient.
-Day and date releases.

I rather wait for a game to get cheaper than pirate it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
so glad I picked up RE7

feels good to have a nice big new PC game in Jan

though the dlc schedule blows... hate that sony moneyhat nonsense

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I wonder if the VR aspect has any bearing on RE7's cracking, that is, it was a priority to see if it could be modded in 'early' to break PS4 VR exclusivity.

Or maybe crackers just don't care.

madjoki

I wonder if the VR aspect has any bearing on RE7's cracking, that is, it was a priority to see if it could be modded in 'early' to break PS4 VR exclusivity.

Or maybe crackers just don't care.

There was some kind of VR mod before it was cracked. (with VorpX, I think)

Uzzy

So I finished RE7 yesterday, and the whole experience has left me with a profounding feeling of 'meh'. I spent a lot of time thinking of SOMA while playing it, and comparing it unfavourably to that masterpiece. Exploring the Baker Mansion was good, but not a patch on the environments you explore in SOMA, let alone Spencer Mansion in the original RE game. It doesn't help that the areas you travel through in RE7 are fairly unconnected, with the entire final third of the game taking place elsewhere. Spencer Mansion had this feeling of interconnectedness, with you getting to know the entire area over your playthrough, and I felt that Baker Mansion was just a poor imitation of that classic game space. Further SOMA's environments are overflowing with character and story, with much of the tale being told through interactables, something that RE7 could have done a lot more with.

The stealth aspects of the game are also rather lacking. There's not enough stuff to hide behind, nor is there even a lean button, but it doesn't really matter because just running from enemies works really well. They deaggro and seemingly despawn after a moment or two. But even then, there's very few times you need to run away from the monsters. I never found myself really short on ammo and could quite effectively fight my way through any areas without having to worry too much about managing my resources. Maybe that'll improve on harder difficulty modes, but you only get two at the start of the game, easy and normal. At least the combat's fun, though the lack of enemy variety really takes it down a notch.

The story is fairly poor as well, mostly because the main character, Ethan, is the blandest, flattest character imaginable. He reacts to the worst day of his life and the terrible events going on around him with no more care than had he stubbed his toe. The Baker family are interesting characters thankfully, and the game gives them time to shine as villains. But the game falters when
they leave the Baker's behind in the last third, and the plot becomes something else entirely that's poorly explained. But at least there's DLC and a season pass coming that might explain all those mysteries!

Overall, a decent game, but I'm left wondering if I played something else entirely seeing all the glowing reviews elsewhere.

Grief.exe

The game is poised to get 250K by tomorrow. Curious if the crack will slow sales. I don't think piracy is as big an issue on pc as it once was.

Gabe has referenced data in the past that shows sales don't slow when a crack becomes available.

There might be a natural slowing as the game moves into its second week. The word of mouth seems to be quite positive, which could lead to sustained sales.

rtcn63

So I finished RE7 yesterday, and the whole experience has left me with a profounding feeling of 'meh'. I spent a lot of time thinking of SOMA while playing it, and comparing it unfavourably to that masterpiece. Exploring the Baker Mansion was good, but not a patch on the environments you explore in SOMA, let alone Spencer Mansion in the original RE game. It doesn't help that the areas you travel through in RE7 are fairly unconnected, with the entire final third of the game taking place elsewhere. Spencer Mansion had this feeling of interconnectedness, with you getting to know the entire area over your playthrough, and I felt that Baker Mansion was just a poor imitation of that classic game space. Further SOMA's environments are overflowing with character and story, with much of the tale being told through interactables, something that RE7 could have done a lot more with.

The stealth aspects of the game are also rather lacking. There's not enough stuff to hide behind, nor is there even a lean button, but it doesn't really matter because just running from enemies works really well. They deaggro and seemingly despawn after a moment or two. But even then, there's very few times you need to run away from the monsters. I never found myself really short on ammo and could quite effectively fight my way through any areas without having to worry too much about managing my resources. Maybe that'll improve on harder difficulty modes, but you only get two at the start of the game, easy and normal. At least the combat's fun, though the lack of enemy variety really takes it down a notch.

The story is fairly poor as well, mostly because the main character, Ethan, is the blandest, flattest character imaginable. He reacts to the worst day of his life and the terrible events going on around him with no more care than had he stubbed his toe. The Baker family are interesting characters thankfully, and the game gives them time to shine as villains. But the game falters when
they leave the Baker's behind in the last third, and the plot becomes something else entirely that's poorly explained. But at least there's DLC and a season pass coming that might explain all those mysteries!

Overall, a decent game, but I'm left wondering if I played something else entirely seeing all the glowing reviews elsewhere.

Truthfully, they're almost apples to oranges. Soma is a serious, story-focused title that heavily relies on overused sci-fi tropes. RE7 is a campy, gameplay-focused title (though yes, it definitely falters quite a bit in that respect) that heavily relies on overused horror-movie tropes.

If we're talking first-person horror, Outlast and Alien Isolation are more apt comparisons than Soma, if still not perfect ones.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is Dota like TF2 where you have to ocasionally open the game to "unlock" whatever promotional items you may have from other games?

derFeef

So this is my plan.
Finish RE7.
Finish Stasis.
Play REmake.
Play Alien Isolation (again on PC) and check if I like it more than at release.

Also Play Yakuza 0 if I need a break from the tension.

So I will be finished at the end of the year - good plan!

Fallout 4 getting free update / dlc for "high resolution textures", coninciding with PS4Pro update

I'm hoping such a large file size equates to suitable wonderful high resolution textures

I mean if the PS4Pro can get those beautiful high res textures, PC can get it as well, right?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
indeed it is, although there are less promotional Dota stuff

aye but I remember I was supposed to have some voice pack from some game and I cant remember for the life of me if I sold it or not. Im trying to scounge up every nugget for that koei bundle lol

gues ill download dota and check then

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I mean if the PS4Pro can get those beautiful high res textures, PC can get it as well, right?

The pack isn't part of the PS4 Pro patch; it doesn't have enough memory. It has 6GB of addressable memory in total while Bethesda is recommending 8GB of VRAM for the pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom